Dry scalp remedies are a must for those suffering from an itchy and flaky scalp. Finding natural remedies for dry scalp that you can rely on for great results might not be the easiest task in the world. So that’s why we have decided to put together a full list of homemade dry scalp remedies that will give you fast relief. The home remedies for dry itchy scalp on our list are only from natural ingredients that won’t cause any further harm. Try them out and see which one is the best dry scalp home remedy for you.
Natural Dry Scalp Remedies to Try at Home
1. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has a plethora of health benefits, like antioxidant, antimicrobial and anti-aging properties, just to name a few. These essential properties recommend this solution as a wonderful natural remedy for dry scalp that anyone can try any time from the comfort of their own home. Like many other dry itchy scalp remedies on our list, coconut oil works by thoroughly moisturizing the dry skin on the scalp so they can get rid of the uncomfortable symptoms in due time.
- Warm up around 1 cup of coconut oil.
- Gently massage the oil into the scalp evenly.
- Allow it to sink into the skin for approximately 1 hour.
- Rinse and repeat daily for the best effects.
2. Olive Oil
Quite a few of the best home remedies for dandruff and dry scalp are oils, therefore, the second recommendation on our list of dry scalp remedies is olive oil. This can be just as effective as coconut oil since it is delightfully packed with fatty acids (the good kinds for skin care) and vitamin E, another popular ingredient used in many commercial products. As olive oil is 100% natural, you will enjoy the benefits of a high-quality product without any risks, and it also successfully helps with hair growth.
- Take half a cup of virgin olive oil and warm it up a bit.
- Add two teaspoons of honey to enjoy its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Massage the oil into the affected area.
- Wait for half an hour before rinsing.
Mayonnaise is indeed among the best natural dry scalp remedies. The reason is that it contains several essential ingredients that work together as a perfect natural remedy for dry itchy scalp. Mayo contains vinegar, eggs, and oil, which all contain properties that moisturize and heal a dry scalp. Here is what you need to do for this remedy for a dry scalp in winter, summer or any other time of the year. Mayonnaise also works great as a home remedy for gum in hair.
- Take half a cup of mayonnaise and pour it on your hair while it’s dry.
- Rub it into the hair and focus on the scalp.
- Allow it to sink in for 20 minutes.
- Rinse normally.
4. Witch Hazel
An ingredient that you might not have expected to be a good dry itchy scalp remedy is witch hazel. It has astringent benefits that will help soothe skin, making it one of the most trustworthy dry scalp remedies available. To get this dry flaky scalp remedy right, you need witch hazel and water.
- Take 2 parts water and add 1 part witch hazel.
- Put the liquid on the scalp and massage it in.
- Leave it for a couple of minutes before washing.
- Repeat this remedy on a daily basis for the best impact.
5. Sesame Oil
Like we mentioned before, some of the best dry flaky scalp remedies are oils. The next reliable home remedy for dry flaky scalp on our list is sesame oil, a fantastic moisturizing agent. Sesame oil works by hydrating your skin and alleviating symptoms naturally, which means it is one of the dry scalp remedies that you can really count on for an awesome effect.
- Warm up a cup of sesame oil.
- Carefully rub the scalp with the warm oil, massaging for about 10 minutes.
- Take a hot towel and wrap it around the head for the same amount of time.
- Allow the sesame oil to take action overnight.
- When you wake up, wash your scalp well.
- Do this on a nightly basis until your scalp is no longer dry.
6. Jojoba Oil
Another one of our favorite oils to use as dry scalp natural remedies is jojoba oil. This natural oil has moisturizing, soothing and refreshing properties for the skin, as you might already know from various commercial skincare products. Like in the case of olive oil, you don’t have to rely on a store-bought product when you can enjoy its 100% natural benefits on your own.
- Warm up some jojoba oil and massage it into your scalp before bed.
- Wash your hair and scalp the following morning.
- Carry out this natural dry scalp remedy one time every week.
*Consult your doctor as soon as possible if you still have problems after applying any oil home remedies for dry scalp. You might be suffering from a skin condition that requires professional treatment.
One of the itchy dry scalp remedies that you might be fairly tempted to consume before applying is actually beer. It might seem awkward to put alcohol in your hair, but you should know that it’s great for your scalp and hair alike. It is known for helping hair become more healthy, so continue this remedy even after the flakiness and dryness have gone away. Please note, though, that beer works best for conditioning and rinsing, and not leaving it on like a shampoo or mask.
- Take a glass of beer and add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.
- After shampooing hair, put this solution on and massage it into the scalp.
- Rinse very well at the end.
8. Lemon & Honey
A great home remedy dry scalp individuals can try out involves two basic ingredients that one might already have in their pantry. Honey is extremely moisturizing and contains a wide range of health benefits, while lemon has hydrating and antiseptic properties. When you combine these two ingredients, you get a great dry itchy scalp home remedy solution. Preparing and applying it is super simple, so just follow the steps described below.
- Get one lemon and squeeze it to obtain fresh juice.
- Put a teaspoon of honey in a bowl with the lemon juice.
- Mix thoroughly and use the solution on the scalp by massaging it in.
- Wash hair as normal after 10 minutes.
- Repeat the process weekly.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar
When looking for an organic home remedy for dry itchy scalp that’s overflowing with health properties, apple cider vinegar is definitely the way to go. It is one of the best dry scalp remedies that you can try out at home since it has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and antifungal properties which all make it an exceptional natural remedy for dry scalp. Apple cider vinegar will also work great as a natural hair lightener.
- Get a spray bottle and put equal parts of water and apple cider vinegar.
- Spray the solution on your scalp and massage it in for a couple of minutes.
- Wait for about five minutes and then wash it off.
- Repeat this remedy 1 to 2 times every week for the best impact.
10. Tea Tree Oil
The last of our oil home remedies dry scalp is tea tree oil. Packed with antibacterial and antifungal properties, tea tree oil hydrates the skin and helps remove any itchy sensation. Please note that tea tree oil should always be diluted when using it as a dry scalp remedy. Do this either with water or shampoo, since applying tea tree oil directly might harm skin.
- Take six drops of tea tree oil and add them in your shampoo or a bottle of water.
- Shake the bottle well so the substances mix.
- Pour it on the hair and wash it as with a regular shampoo.
- Use this for washing until the scalp is no longer dry.
11. Aloe Vera
We also recommend introducing Aloe Vera to your daily routine, this miraculous plant has countless health benefits that deserve a list of their own. One of its best features is that it hydrates the skin and hair well which helps against thinning hair and dry scalp. You can even consider getting an Aloe Vera plant to have around the house, it will definitely come in handy.
- Extract Aloe Vera gel from a leaf.
- Apply it to the key areas on your scalp.
- Wait for 15 minutes before rinsing.
- Repeat once a week.
When talking about reliable dry scalp remedies to apply at home we can’t forget avocados. Just like in the case of beer, avocado is known to help your hair become healthier and shine like never before. Apply this natural remedies for dry itchy scalp idea in two main ways: with bananas or with honey and olive oil. While the first option will leave your hair with a delicious scent, the second option brings the moisturizing and anti-inflammatory properties that honey and lemon have. Moreover, it helps with keeping hair frizziness at bay.
- Crush an avocado and combine it with 1 teaspoon of honey and 2 tablespoons of virgin olive oil. Alternatively, crush the avocado and two bananas and mix them.
- Apply the substance to the scalp and rub it in thoroughly.
- Wait about half an hour before rinsing in both cases.
- Repeat this remedy every week.
13. Baking Soda
As far as dry flaky scalp home remedies that work by exfoliating are concerned, baking soda is the best natural ingredient to use for this. Not only is it great for cleaning your house without toxic substances, but it can also combat dandruff like there’s no tomorrow. For this home remedy, use a bit of baking soda and water, so get them both prepared before getting started.
- Take some baking soda and water and mix thoroughly.
- Put the substance directly on your scalp.
- Let it take effect for about 15 minutes.
- Wash your hair thoroughly.
All in all, use all the itchy dry scalp home remedies available in order to find the one that is right for your skin. The extremely dry scalp home remedies on our list work wonderfully in most situations but always get in touch with a medical professional if your dry scalp persists. So, out of all our dry scalp remedies, what’s your favorite home remedy for dry scalp? Let us know in a comment below.