Finding reliable tips on how to get rid of a fever blister fast might not be as easy as you initially thought. VeryWell.com reports that the main cause of fever blisters is HSV-1, the herpes simplex virus type 1. Moreover, over 85% of people around the world have been infected with this virus. In this context, most sources point to medication as the go-to solution for how to get rid of a fever blister overnight, but what if you don’t want your body to interact with potentially harmful chemicals? No matter if you want to learn how to get rid of fever blisters on your lip, how to get rid of fever blisters inside mouth or just general tips on how to get rid of fever blisters fast at home, our guide on how to get rid of fever blister will showcase 14 excellent home remedies to help you get started. Read all about them below and find out how to get rid of fever blister fast!
Tips on How to Get Rid of a Fever Blister Naturally
Milk is generally an amazing natural ingredient to use for skin care, as you can find out through this article by Dermatocare. Among its qualities is its power for being a trustworthy tip on how to get rid of a fever blister quick, as it battles the viruses that causes it. We recommend that you use cold, whole milk to get the best results.
- Take a glass of cold milk and a cotton ball. Drench the cotton ball in the milk.
- Gently apply it to your fever blister and keep it on for about ten minutes.
- Repeat this process a few time throughout the day.
- You should start seeing results in a couple of days.
So, how do you get rid of fever blisters without stocking up on pricey ingredients or medicine? Well, a cool tip on how to get rid of a fever blister is using toothpaste. It might be the first home remedy you thought of, but it really can work like a charm. The ingredient of toothpaste – like alcohol, hydrogen peroxide or baking soda – treat the problem effectively.
- Apply enough toothpaste so it covers your fever blister. Make sure that you use plain, white toothpaste.
- Wait for at least two hours or, even better, let it sink in as you sleep at night.
- We recommend that you do this every night before you go to bed to enjoy the best impact.
While salt on its own won’t help you master how to get rid of fever blisters in one day, it will work wonderfully when combined with the ingredient we spoke about above, toothpaste. The health properties of each of these ingredients combined will help your fever blister dry out and heal. Preparing this home remedy for how to get rid of a fever blister is also super simple, so just follow the instructions below.
- Take half a tablespoon of table salt and one teaspoon of toothpaste and mix them together.
- Before going to sleep, use a Q-tip to take a bit of the mixture and apply it on the affected area.
- In the morning, rinse with warm water and repeat once every day.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Among our tips on how to get rid of fever blisters on lips, apple cider vinegar shines through, as always. An exceptional anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and soothing agent, apple cider vinegar has all the qualities a natural remedy for fever blisters needs. It’s no wonder why it’s one of the most popular home remedies on how to get rid of a fever blister – the results speak for themselves.
- Take a cotton ball and dip it in a glass of apple cider vinegar (ACV). We recommend using unfiltered ACV for the best effects.
- Carefully place it on your fever blister for around ten minutes.
- Repeat this remedy as necessary, until your fever blister completely disappears.
5. Tea Bag
Even though you might not find the answer to how to get rid of fever blisters forever, you definitely will find a solution that your body accepts. One of these may very well be tea bags. Green tea and black tea, in particular, have the best health benefits for eliminating fever blisters. Their astringent, antiviral and antioxidant properties all work amazingly together to help you heal.
- Boil a cup of green tea or black tea by using a tea bag.
- Take the tea bag out and wait for it to chill.
- After that, apply the wet tea bag on your fever blister and wait several minutes.
- Do this multiple times during the day and after 3-4 days your fever blister should be gone.
6. Vanilla Extract
A great tip on how to get rid of fever blisters overnight is to experiment with vanilla extract. No matter how heavenly this remedy sounds, smells, and tastes, you should never underestimate its powerful healing properties. This ingredient is based on alcohol, meaning that it comes packed with anti-inflammatory, anti-infection and soothing properties. If you choose this solution, make sure that you use 100% pure vanilla extract so it will work.
- Take some pure vanilla extract and apply it to your cold sore. You can use a cotton swab, ball or pad for application.
- Press it on your fever blister for roughly ten minutes.
- Repeat this as needed.
7. Baking Soda
When researching how to get rid of fever blisters inside your mouth, you will notice that quite a few individuals recommend baking soda. This is one of the top tips on how to get rid of a fever blister that we can offer, as it successfully relieves the pain and heals fever blisters. This isn’t the only skin-related issue baking soda can treat naturally; you can actually find a complete list of the beauty benefits that baking soda has on Dr. Oz’s website here.
- Put some baking soda in a small amount of water and mix well, until you get a paste-like substance.
- Cover your fever blister with a thick layer of this baking soda paste and leave it on for 15 minutes.
- You can reapply this remedy throughout the day.
Coming up on our guide for how to get rid of a fever blister quickly is one of our personal favorites – yogurt. When combined with eggs and honey, yogurt is an awesome home remedy on how to get rid of a fever blister. All of these three ingredients contain just the right properties you need for the pain to go away and for your fever blister to heal.
- Combine 1 cup of yogurt, 1 tbsp. of honey and 1 egg. Make sure you mix the ingredients well.
- Your result should be a thick paste.
- Use a cotton swab or ball to apply the paste on your fever blister.
- Wait for 30 minutes before rinsing.
- Do this one time every day until you’re back to normal.
9. Tea Tree Oil
One of the most delightful ways to get rid of fever blisters is by using tea tree oil, one of the best natural ingredients for skin problems. What makes it a superhero for learning how to get rid of a fever blister is that its full of wonderful antiseptic, antiviral, antibiotic and antifungal properties, just to name a few. Please note that tea tree oil can be a bit harsh for sensitive skin types, so you should dilute it if yours requires special attention.
- Apply some tea tree oil (diluted for sensitive skin, if applicable) to your fever blister.
- If you fever blister is on your lip, be careful that it doesn’t get in your mouth.
- Repeat this remedy as you need to in order for your skin to clear up.
Another fantastic home remedy for fever blisters that you probably already have lying around the house is garlic. It is a delightful tip on how to get rid of a fever blister, owing to its antifungal and antibacterial properties. It attacks the virus that causes fever blisters to form in a natural way.
- To apply garlic as a home remedy for how to get rid of a fever blister, start by getting a few cloves of garlic.
- Crush them up and add a bit of water to form a paste.
- Apply this paste on your fever blister.
- If you feel that the garlic causes a stinging sensation, you can numb the area with some ice beforehand.
11. Aloe Vera
Don’t even think about popping fever blisters or anything related to pop cold sore bubble; you should try a natural ingredient like aloe vera instead. If you are up to date with our guides on Home Remedy Book, you will most likely have noticed that aloe vera makes almost every one of our lists, thanks to its myriad of health benefits. It’s great that you don’t waste time or money with aloe vera, not even when applying it as a tip for how to get rid of a fever blister.
- Slice a leaf of aloe and take the gel out.
- Gently apply this gel on your fever blister.
- Allow it to dry naturally.
- Carefully wash off and pat dry.
- Repeat this as necessary and your fever blister will soon be gone.
12. Petroleum Jelly
One of the most common tips on how to get rid of a fever blister on the lip is petroleum jelly, also known as Vaseline. It works by softening your skin and offering an extra layer of protection so the infection won’t spread. It is readily available and can already be found in most homes.
- Wash your hands with antibacterial soap before putting them directly on your face.
- Scrape a bit of petroleum jelly on the tips of your fingers and carefully pat it on your fever blister.
- Repeat as you need to for your fever blister to disappear.
Licorice is also among the popular tips on how to get rid of fever blisters in the mouth. It might sound strange that licorice can help with how to get rid of a fever blister, but this ingredient has everything you need to heal. From anti-inflammatory to antiviral properties, licorice will quickly work its magic so you can get better soon. Please note that individuals with high blood pressure should not use licorice as a tip for how to get rid of a fever blister.
- While you can take licorice root supplements or tea to reap its benefits, the fastest way for healing a fever blister is by applying it naturally.
- Take half a teaspoon of water and mix it with 1 tbsp. of licorice root powder.
- Put a bit of the thick paste you get on your fever blister and allow it to set for a couple of hours.
- Feel free to apply this remedy multiple times daily for speedy effects.
Last but not least, an incredibly easy tip on how to get rid of fever blisters quickly is to use an ice pack. This will not only calm the swelling and redness, but it will also help relieve the pain associated with fever blisters. This will help numb the area and prevent you from scratching or playing around with your fever blister, allowing it to heal.
- Put a cold compress in the freezer or take a handful of ice to create an ice pack.
- Make sure the cover is clean or take a thin cloth and cover it to prevent more bacteria from settling in.
All in all, learning how to get rid of a fever blister might not be easy, but it sure isn’t impossible. Everybody works differently, so you might have to go through a few of the tips on how to get rid of fever blister overnight to see which one works the best for you. Don’t be afraid to go through several until you find the most effective solution for your body. After you find it, make sure you share it with our team and readers in a comment on this article!
Image sources: no attribution required.