Age spots are brown patches that appear on the skin of, usually, elderly people. This happens to this particular age group because the age spots are usually the accumulation of years of sun exposure. Those with fair complexities and that spend a lot of time in the sun or using tanning beds are more likely to develop this condition. Although they’re not dangerous, they can be a hassle to a person’s confidence since they tend to be a giveaway sign of someone’s age. There are many ways through which you can get rid of brown spots, including using some natural home remedies for brown spots such as the ones that you’re about to discover below.
1. Lemon Juice
Lemons are nature’s greatest skin lighteners, being able to bleach the skin and even out shades, thus removing dark spots and blemishes in the process. This is due to the high acidic concentration of lemon juice which facilitates regulation of pH levels in your body. You can easily undergo a treatment that uses lemon juice in order to get the brown spots to fade away in time.
- Squeeze the juice from a lemon and then combine it with half a glass of water in order to reduce a bit of the acidity. Exposure to too much acidity might actually do more harm than good, which is you might want to dilute it.
- Dip a cotton ball in this solution and spread it over the patches of skin displaying the age spots.
- Let the mixture dry out naturally.
- Repeat this remedy daily for the next few weeks to facilitate the fading of the age spots.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one of the greatest home remedies for age spots and this doesn’t really come off as a surprise seeing how it’s a type of solution that has a great number of beneficial properties for your skin. It has a high acidic concentration as well, which means that it can help you make the brown spots disappear and regain the youth and evenness of your skin.
- Dilute apple cider vinegar with equal parts of water. Do this to reduce the acidity of the apple cider vinegar, which might result in making your skin feel a bit stingy.
- Apply directly to the affected areas using a cotton ball.
- Allow the vinegar solution to dry out naturally.
- Repeat this process every day long enough to get the results that you’re looking for.
Buttermilk is rich in lactic acid, a compound that acts as a natural exfoliator which will help you get rid of the age spots by shedding off dead skin cells and skin layers. Moreover, the best part about buttermilk’s lactic acid is definitely the fact that it’s a great moisturizer which will make sure to not leave your skin dry or flaky after you’ve exfoliated it.
- You can apply buttermilk directly to the affected patches of skin in order to reap the benefits. If you have an oily or sensitive skin type, you can also give a squeeze of lemon juice to the buttermilk.
- Leave the substance on for about 4-5 minutes and then wash off with generous amounts of water.
- Repeat 2-3 times throughout the day for the next few days to get the results that you’re looking for.
4. Castor Oil
Age spots are, more often not, the result of the damage skin has suffered due to sun exposure, excessive or not. As a result, you may find excellent home remedies for dark spots in products that aim to heal your skin and repair tissue. Castor oil is one of the substances that have this ability and is able to help you get rid of brown spots and regain your skin’s porcelain-like texture.
- Soak a cotton pad in a bit of castor oil and then apply directly to the skin.
- Using your fingers next, gently massage the oil into the skin for 2-3 minutes in order to make it will be absorbed.
- Lastly, rinse using lukewarm water and drying off with a paper towel.
- Repeat this remedy several times throughout the day for however long you need to see satisfying results.
Horseradish has famous skin lightening properties that will surely help you get rid of the dark spots that are giving you so much trouble. Because of its strong compounds, horseradish is also something many people use to get rid of freckles and, generally, any blemishes or impurities that develop on the surface of the skin. It’s, without doubt, one of the most reliable home remedies for age spots.
- Grate a bit of horseradish and then mash it until you get a pasty consistency.
- In order to tie it all together even better, consider mixing in 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to make it easier to handle.
- Apply this mixture directly to the skin and leave it on for 15-20 minutes.
Papaya is a natural exfoliator and moisturizer that will help you get rid of the dark spots in a few very simple steps. It will promote exfoliation so that you can get rid of the affected layers of skin, but it will also leave your skin feeling soft and looking radiant. In other words, papaya is one of the most competent home remedies for age spots. Be wary, though, especially if you’ve never had papaya before that it can be an allergy-inducing product, so we recommend doing a test 24 hours before.
- Grate about 1 tablespoon of papaya and then apply it directly to the sensitive patches of skin.
- Let the paste sit for 15-20 minutes in order to work its magic.
- Lastly, remove using some water or a clean cloth.
- Repeat this treatment daily for however long it takes to get to the final result that you’re looking for.
Onions are rich in sulfur, a compound that has many great uses for your health, including for the appearance and ‘joy’ of your skin. It’s going to help your skin exfoliate so that it can quite literally shed off the dark spots that are splattered all over it. Moreover, even though the scent isn’t necessarily the most pleasant, it’s going to leave your skin feeling and looking extremely good. And, ultimately, it’s what we all need from our home remedies for age spots.
- Slice up an onion and then rub the pulp all over the affected skin areas for about 4-5 minutes, doing so in circular motions.
- Leave the juice on the skin for an additional 10 minutes or until it dries away completely and the smell goes away as well.
- Repeat this process daily in order to get the results that you’re craving.
Dandelion is a mild and gentle herb, but it doesn’t really play that nice with your skin’s brown spots. It has properties that promote exfoliation and facilitate the healing of the skin tissue exposure to sun has damaged over the time. It’s very easy to get rid of the dark spots when you have home remedies for age spots as readily available and efficient as this simple herb that we so often include in our diets.
- Add about 2 teaspoons of dried dandelion leaves or flowers to 1 cup of hot water.
- Steep for 10 minutes and then strain.
- Allow this mixture to cool down completely and then soak a washcloth in it.
- Spread all over your skin and allow the solution to dry naturally.
- Repeat daily.
Like buttermilk, yogurt contains a lot of lactic acid which is going to help lighten the complexity of your skin by evening it out and getting rid of blemishes and darker patches. Moreover, it promotes exfoliation and, thus, getting rid of dead skin cells.
- In a bowl, mix together a tablespoon of yogurt, two tablespoons of ground oatmeal, and a teaspoon of fresh-squeezed lime juice until you get a paste.
- Apply this blend directly to your skin and then let it sit for approximately 30 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly with lots of water.
- Repeat this treatment daily for the next week to get the end result that you’re looking for.
Tomatoes make great home remedies for age spots thanks to the enzymes that make them effective skin lightening agents. Moreover, lycopene, one of the primary compounds of tomatoes, helps repair tissue that may have suffered due to repeated sun exposure, the primary cause of brown spots.
- All you will need is one tomato, which you can either slice or mash until you get a paste.
- Either rub the tomato slice directly to the affected patch of skin or spread the paste over it.
- Regardless, let the tomato juice or paste sit for 20 minutes in order for the effects to kick in.
- Repeat daily to get the effects you desire.
Chickpeas have the ability to boost exfoliation of the skin, helping you get rid of age spots in a natural and effective way. They also have nourishing properties that will bring youth back to your skin.
- Cook 1 cup of chickpeas and then add to a blender.
- Mix in a handful of tahini and a bit of water, processing it all until you get a paste.
- Apply this mixture over your skin and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Rinse away with water.
- Repeat this process daily until you are satisfied.
Potatoes also have skin lightening properties, thus making them great home remedies for age spots. They will even out your skin shade and they will also contribute to the healing of the tissue.
- Grate a potato and then squash it to draw out the juice.
- Dip a cotton ball in the juice and spread it over your skin.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Lastly, wash away the remainder of the juice with some water.
- Follow this treatment daily.
Age spots are nothing to worry over since they are harmless, unless we count the literal stain that they tend to leave on your self-esteem. There are plenty other home remedies for age spots other than the ones we’ve recommended, but if you only want the best results, you should definitely place your bets with the ones mentioned above. Pick whichever remedy is most affordable and easy to use to you and then get to work in order to make your skin young and clear again.