Alcohol addiction is a frightening issue that millions of people around the globe struggle with. Just like any addiction, whenever you try to set some distance between you and the source of your dependence, you experience withdrawal. Withdrawals are some of the most difficult parts of any alcohol detox regime, often involving symptoms such as dizziness, nausea, headaches, accelerated heartbeat, and more. In order to properly get through an alcohol detox process, you could really use the help of some competent home remedies for alcohol detox. With these, it will be much easier to make it through the symptoms of withdrawal and you will be able to cleanse your body of the typical alcoholism-related toxins as well. Without further ado, we present to you the best of these treatments that are all natural and affordable to anyone with a smaller budget.
1. Milk Thistle
Milk thistle is great for dealing with the most common symptoms of withdrawal, such as nausea, dehydration, headaches, and more. But aside from that, it’s also a treatment that has the best interests of your liver at heart. It has agents that protect the liver and prevent it from absorbing the alcohol-related toxins that cause it so much damage.
- Using a mortar, crush 1 tablespoon of milk thistle seeds until you get a powdery paste.
- Fill a saucepan with 3 cups of water and then bring to heat, adding in the crushed milk thistle afterwards.
- Bring to a boil and then remove from heat.
- Next, leave everything steep for 20 minutes.
- Lastly, strain this tea and then drink it several times throughout the day.
- For the best of results, have this drink every day before every meal for the duration of the detox process.
Drink some dandelion tea in order to combat some of the most common symptoms of withdrawal: nausea, headaches, dizziness, or stomach discomfort. Dandelion is a famous herbal remedy with fantastic soothing and relaxing effects. More than that, it will protect your liver against further damage and facilitate the regeneration and healing of tissue.
- Place 1 teaspoon of dried dandelion leaves and flowers in a cup.
- Next, boil some water and then pour it into the cup over the dried flowers.
- Cover the cup and let the infusion steep for 5-10 minutes.
- Lastly, finish off by straining and then enjoying the tea while it’s warm.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times a day for the next few weeks.
Your stomach often has to suffer because of the actions of alcohol detox symptoms. When symptoms such as pain, inflammations, nausea, or discomfort kick in, try some goldenseal tea. Goldenseal has excellent soothing properties that make it one of the best home remedies for alcohol detox and its various stomach related issues.
- Add 1 teaspoon of goldenseal powder to 1 cup of water.
- Let it steep for a few minutes and then strain, waiting for the solution to cool down.
- Apply the mixture directly to the skin for 10 minutes and then pat dry.
- Repeat 2-3 times a day for proper results and benefits.
When you’re undergoing a detox program of any kind, one of the most difficult things to deal with are the cravings. What are you supposed to do when you just desire a taste of that particular thing really badly? Dates will help lessen cravings while simultaneously providing your body with the nutrients that get lost through frequent alcohol consumption.
- Take 2 dry dates and then soak them in a glass of milk, leaving them to moisten up overnight.
- Next morning, before having breakfast, eat the dates and drink the glass of milk.
- Follow this treatment for the duration of the detox, having about 3-4 glasses of this mixture a week.
5. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne peppers are surely among the best home remedies for alcohol detox for a number of relevant reasons. For starters, capsaicin, the primary compound found in the peppers helps soothe headaches and nausea, some of the most common symptoms associated with withdrawal. Secondarily, they are also able to reduce cravings while not lessening your appetite for food, thus ensuring that your body will fix its lost nutrient intake.
- To a glass of warm water, add 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder and 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Stir everything thoroughly to prepare this instant cayenne pepper tea.
- Drink up to 3 cups of this remedy every for a week to alleviate your symptoms.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar
Excessive alcohol consumption has a particular side effect that is much more difficult to control or to predict and one that, in fact, not that many people are aware of: your blood sugar levels are on the rise. And when you decide to lay off the vodka for a while when detoxing, these blood sugar levels will have a sudden drop which will trigger deep cravings. Apple cider vinegar is able to regulate the sugars in the blood, keeping them at a healthily appropriate level in order to prevent the development of these cravings.
- Fill a glass with warm water and then blend in 2 tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar.
- To alter its flavor and make it more enjoyable, add honey according to taste.
- Drink this mixture daily for the next few weeks.
7. Fennel Seeds
Dizziness and erratic breathing are often associated with intense withdrawal episodes, which is why you need to hold some fennel nearby. Fennel improves circulation, helping lessen accelerated heartbeats, and it also opens up airways to help you with breathing struggles.
- Boil some water and then add fennel seeds and crushed tea leaves to it.
- Leave the mixture steep for a few minutes.
- Next, add a quarter cup of milk.
- Lastly, strain and drink the mixture while still warm.
- Have this drink several times throughout the day for the next few weeks or months.
Chinese medicine has been using kudzu as a herbal remedy for numerous afflictions, the symptoms associated with an alcohol detox process included. Its primary purpose is to help lessen cravings, thus making it easier to deal with the side effects of this difficult process.
- Take an extract containing at least 30 to 40% kudzu at least twice every day.
- Continue this treatment for a couple of months or for however long you undergo the detox process.
9. Coconut Oil
Whenever you are trying to undergo a regime of alcohol detox, your body is subjected to great levels of stress. Proper home remedies for alcohol detox are going to help your brain withstand these chemical agents that cause the stress, a great example being coconut oil. It contains substances which will inhibit the development of these stress-causing compounds.
- Scoop 3 tablespoons of coconut oil and then warm it up in a microwave or in a warm water bath.
- Next, add the oil to a glass and then stir in with 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar, stirring thoroughly.
- Have this mixture twice a day, in the morning and evening, every day for the duration of the treatment.
Basil is a powerful antioxidant that many people use whenever they are in need of a treatment that can help them flush out toxins. With its properties, it will drain said toxins out of your blood and will help keep the cravings associated with withdrawal periods in check. For this reason, basil is a treatment that you should absolutely consider.
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil.
- Add 2 teaspoons of basil leaves and cinnamon powder.
- Reduce heat and then let everything simmer for 20 minutes.
- Finally, strain the mixture and enjoy the tea while it’s still warm.
- Drink this solution daily for 1 week.
Licorice is a treatment with tradition as far as dealing with nausea and stomach discomfort goes. Give it a try by preparing some simple licorice tea following the instructions below, earning yourself one of the most reliable home remedies for alcohol detox.
- Pour 150 ml of milk or water in a pan and then bring to heat.
- Let it boil for a few seconds and then add 1 teaspoon of licorice root.
- Reduce the heat and let it all simmer and brew for 5 minutes.
- Finally, filter this solution in a cup and enjoy while the tea is still warm.
12. Evening Primrose
Since it can be quite challenging to deal with the symptoms of alcohol detox, many people fall victims to the claws of depression. Evening primrose is a fantastic treatment in that regard, being able to provide some much-needed relaxation against the actions of various stress chemical agents.
- Acquire some evening primrose oil
- Boil a bit of water and then pour into a cup over 1 teaspoon of evening primrose oil.
- Cover the cup and then let everything steep for 5 minutes.
- Next, remove the cover and then enjoy it while it’s still warm.
- Have as many cups as you like in order to deal with the symptoms of withdrawal.
13. Indian Ginseng
Indian ginseng has excellent relaxing and soothing properties, being helpful not only for setting your mind to ease whenever anxiety and stress get difficult to cope with, but for other symptoms as well. Some Indian ginseng extract is going to help you deal with headaches and stomach discomfort as well, making it one of the most reliable home remedies for alcohol detox.
- Get a daily intake of 100-200mg of Indian ginseng extract, consuming it twice a day: once in the morning, once in the evening.
- Repeat this treatment for however long you are undergoing the detox process.
14. Bitter Gourd
Just like dandelion, bitter gourd is a remedy that will help you keep your liver healthy and contribute to the regeneration and healing of damaged tissue. More than that, bitter gourd is among the best home remedies for alcohol detox because of its great diuretic properties. It will help your body flush out toxins causing the symptoms, helping to get you on the track to recovery that much faster.
- Acquire some bitter gourd leaves and fruit and then leave them to dry in a cool space for the next week.
- Next, grind the leaves and fruit until you get a finely textured powder.
- To a glass filled with buttermilk, add 1 teaspoon of the bitter gourd powder.
- Mix everything thoroughly and then drink one glass of this remedy daily for however long you need to.
Anyone who decides that enough is enough and starts undergoing a detox process is worthy of all praise in the world. But more than that, you are in need of home remedies for alcohol detox such as the ones we have just mentioned in order to help get you through all the symptoms and obstacles much easier.