A bladder infection is a bacterial infection of the bladder that occurs when bacteria gets into the urethra, the tube that carries urine out of the body, and then moves into the bladder. You may feel an increased urge to urinate, experience pelvic pain and abdominal cramping. It is important to treat a bladder infection as soon as possible to avoid worsening of your symptoms. Many people are turning to natural alternatives versus antibiotics due to fewer side effects and convenience of treating the infection on your own. With these 12 home remedies for bladder infection that you will read about, you will be well on your way to getting rid of your infection for good.
With our home remedies for bladder infection you will get rid of the pain in no time!
1. Baking Soda
Drinking at least two glasses of baking soda a day with water can help neutralize the acidity in your urine, preventing those frequent urges to use the bathroom and reducing the burning sensation when you do go. If a bacterial infection reaches your kidneys, the infection has become worse. Baking soda targets the kidneys and removes bacteria to prevent the bacterial infection from reaching that crucial area. For those who are unable to tolerate natural alternatives that contain acid, baking soda is a great choice since it is not considered an acid.
- Pour 16 ounces of room temperature water into a cup.
- Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
- Let the drink sit for one minute until it clears up.
- Drink the baking soda solution.
2. Cranberry Juice
Drinking unsweetened cranberry juice can help flush out the bacteria that a bladder infection causes. It prevents bacteria from sticking to the walls of the bladder and smooths the lining of the intestinal tract to prevent abdominal pain. You can consume cranberries in pill form which provides a similar result to cranberry juice.
- Place 2 cups of cranberries and water into a blender.
- Blend on high for two minutes.
- Strain through a cheesecloth.
- You can drink cranberry juice unsweetened or add lemon for flavor.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar contains enzymes, potassiums and other minerals that can prevent the bacteria that causes bladder infections to stop growing and multiplying. Since it is extremely acidic, it kills the bacteria and prevents it from sticking to the lining of the urethra. However, If your bladder infection has progressed, it is best to skip the apple cider vinegar and try a different method since this one is very acidic and can cause the tissues to become inflamed which can cause more pain.
- Add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar into a glass of water and mix well.
- Add lemon and honey for the taste if you wish.
- Drink this solution at least twice a day for best results.
Watermelon contains diuretic properties that flush out bacteria and allow people to urinate more frequently. It is useful as home remedies for bladder infection due to its high content in vitamin A, vitamin C, and potassium. Since it contains about 92% water it is beneficial for those who prefer their drinks to have flavor.
- Place pieces of watermelon fruit into a blender.
- Add lemon and ginger for enhanced taste.
- Blend until smooth and serve.
- You can also eat the watermelon alone.
A study found that D-mannose works better than antibiotics in getting rid of bladder infections. This is essential for those who prefer natural alternatives to antibiotics. Unlike conventional sugars, D-Mannose is a natural sugar that isn’t harmful to your body. Since it does not raise blood sugar levels, those who have high blood sugar are not at risk which makes it a great option as one of the home remedies for bladder infection.
- Put 1 teaspoon of D-mannose in a glass of water.
- Let it dissolve in water.
- Repeat every two to three hours.
- Continue treatment for two to three days after symptoms have disappeared.
Being used for cooking, many would not consider garlic as one of the home remedies for bladder infection. However, garlic is extremely beneficial for the treatment of bladder infections, used either as tea or in a supplement form. Even though antibiotics may work for some people, the chances of an infection reoccurring are high which is why people tend to look to natural alternatives, like garlic.
- Peel 2-3 fresh garlic gloves.
- Boil a glass of water and add the garlic.
- Let the tea sit for five minutes.
- Drink when it cools a bit.
Ginger consists of antibacterial properties that inhibit bacteria from forming and help destroy any existing bacteria. It is filled with magnesium, vitamin C and other minerals that help ease the pain associated with bladder infections. Since ginger is filled with antioxidants, it helps fight infections and boost the immune system which makes it a simple but efficient choice as one of our home remedies for bladder infection. This effective home remedy is also great to use in order to get rid of an UTI.
- Wash 3 ounces of fresh ginger.
- Peel the ginger (optional) and slice it into small pieces.
- Boil water and add the fresh ginger.
- Let the tea steep for 10-15 minutes then strain.
- Add optional sweeteners for flavor.
- It is recommended to not exceed three cups per day.
Goldenseal is a natural antibiotic that contains the active ingredient known as berberine. With goldenseal, bacteria does not have the chance to attach to your cell walls and fights it off. It also aids your immune system to heal inflammation in the urinary system. It is recommended to use this method for no more than two weeks. Goldenseal is available in tablet, capsule and liquid form.
- Boil 8 ounces of water.
- Add 1 teaspoon Goldenseal powdered root or leaves.
- Boil and let the tea simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Strain and drink, also you can add lemon for enhanced flavor.
Horseradish is considered a medicinal plant, just as effective as antibiotics. The only difference is that antibiotics tend to contain different chemicals that can cause side effects in some people. With a bladder infection, people who use the bathroom have difficulty releasing urine. Horseradish helps urine release easier and the best part is that this natural medication can be used on a long-term basis versus antibiotics which are intended for short periods of time. It is rarely mentioned as one of the home remedies for bladder infection but is becoming increasingly popular due to the results it produces.
- Peel the skin of a 8 to 12-inches horseradish and chop it into small pieces.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water and 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Place all of the above into a blender.
- Place into a jar once blended.
- Consume 1/2 to 1 teaspoon three times per day until the infection subsides.
The key ingredient in pineapples is bromelain, an enzyme that reduces inflammation and swelling. They remove excess water retention which may prevent those frequent trips to the bathroom. Pineapples are becoming increasingly popular and are now being added to studies that are looking into natural treatments for bladder infections. A study found that those who were already taking antibiotics did not see improvement but when bromelain was added to their treatment, their symptoms disappeared. Pineapples are considered a popular choice as one of the home remedies for bladder infection and make a great choice for someone who is concerned about taste since pineapples are generally enjoyed by many.
- Cut the top and bottom of a pineapple as well as the husks off the sides.
- Cut into the center of the pineapple and slice into pieces until you reach the desired size.
- Eat it plain or make it into a smoothie.
- There is no limit on how many pineapples you can consume. However, if you are sensitive to acid, reduce intake.
Cucumbers help treat bladder infections by increasing the amount of fluid in your system. Since extra fluid flushes out the system, harmful bacteria will be removed. The cooling effect also provides relief from abdominal pain and cramping. Cucumbers are an excellent source of vitamin C, folate, manganese, potassium, silica, and sulfur. Aside from eating plain cucumbers, you can also make cucumber infused water which is preferable since you can drink large amounts. Water is essential to curing a bladder infection and adding cucumbers to your water may speed up the process.
- Cut 1/2 cucumber in small pieces.
- Add the cucumbers in 3 liters of water.
- Add 2 lemons also.
- You can drink cucumber infused water daily even after bladder infection subsides.
The most common form of consuming parsley is by making parsley water. Parsley water is a diuretic and diuretics contain water which is what the body is craving during a bladder infection. Adding parsley provides many benefits because it speeds up the healing process and helps your kidneys release any bacteria that was formed during the infection.
- Boil 1-2 cups of water.
- Add 1 cup of fresh parsley leaves.
- Reduce heat and let parsley leaves infuse for 6-10 minutes.
- Strain the leaves and drink.
Yogurt is becoming increasingly popular in treating bladder infections. However, many yogurts sold over the counter tend to contain added sugars and other ingredients that are not essential for your health. As a matter of fact, it is recommended to avoid ingredients such as sugar when you have a bladder infection because it aggravates the symptoms. When purchasing yogurt, always look for brands that contain live cultures because it is the main ingredient that prevents bacteria from spreading. If you prefer your yogurt with a bit of flavor, add a teaspoon of raw honey which is a natural sweetener and will not interfere with the healing of your bladder infection.
- Purchase an unprocessed yogurt that contains no sugar.
- Consume daily until bladder infection subsides.
In summary, the remedies listed above can help alleviate the pain from a bladder infection and eliminate it entirely. Every treatment is different and what works for someone else may not work for you. All of the treatments listed are natural and a great alternative to antibiotics which may have side effects and a high chance of reoccurrence when you stop taking them. Is there a home remedy for bladder infection that you have tried? What was the outcome of your natural remedy? Tell us about your experience below!