Blemishes are a very common skin issues which can appear for a number of different reasons, such as hormonal imbalances, improper skincare, genetics, or various dietary choices. Typically, blemishes are patches of skin that are darker than the rest of the surface, but some would classify pimples or blackheads as blemishes as well. Either way, they can be very unsightly and they can definitely be a nuisance for your beauty routine. Rather than trying to cover them up with foundation, you should give the following home remedies for blemishes a shot. Tear this issue out by its root and help your skin regain its glow and health using natural and highly effective treatments like the ones below.
1. Lemon Juice
Lemons are, undoubtedly, the best home remedies for blemishes. They are nature’s best natural skin lighteners and bleaching agents. By whipping out a simple treatment that uses lemon juice, you’ll be able to bring evenness to your skin shade again. Even though lemon juice can help with other things as well, such as acne breakouts, its main benefit remains the removal of blemishes.
- Create a blend by combining 1/4 teaspoon of lemon juice with 1/4 teaspoon of organic honey.
- Apply this mixture directly to the skin.
- Leave it to sit for about 15-20 minutes and then rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the treatment daily for at least 1 month to start seeing the results.
2. Baking Soda
Your skin tends to accumulate dead cells to the sites of the blemishes, which only contribute to making this condition worse. Baking soda is a natural antioxidant and a fantastic exfoliator that can help you get rid of these dead skin cells and help your skin regenerate itself. It can also help prevent future episodes like this by balancing out pH levels of your skin.
- Combine 1 teaspoon of baking soda with a few drops of water or olive oil. Add just enough of the latter to get a spreadable paste.
- Slather this blend over the affected area and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Before rinsing, gently scrub in circular motions for 2-3 minutes.
- Repeat this treatment twice a week for the best of results.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
As a natural astringent, apple cider vinegar also helps bring balance to pH levels of your skin, a crucial step toward getting rid of blemishes and dark spots. Furthermore, ACV contains mild acids that will lighten your skin and gradually blend the blemishes back with your natural skin shade.
- Create a solution by mixing 1 part apple cider vinegar with 8 parts water.
- Stir everything thoroughly and then store in a spray bottle.
- Spray this solution directly to your solution and then let it air dry.
- Alternatively, if it’s easier for you, just apply the mixture with a cotton pad or ball instead.
- Repeat this process 1-2 times a day until your problem fades away completely.
4. Potato Juice
Potatoes funnily contain mild acids as well and they can help you lighten your skin when trying to get rid of blemishes and other unsightly black spots. Since most households have potatoes in their storage, potatoes are definitely some of the most accessible and affordable home remedies for blemishes.
- Take 1 small potato and then, without peeling it, grate it whole.
- Next, squeeze the grated potato bits to extract all the juice from them.
- Using a clean cloth or a cotton pad, apply the potato juice to the affected patches of skin and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Lastly, rinse with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this process 1-2 times daily until you are satisfied with the results.
5. Egg Whites
Eggs are, in general, excellent treatments for a glowing and beautiful skin. But there’s no denying that egg whites are just a tiny bit better, especially when your main struggle is blemishes. Egg whites contain natural enzymes that will lighten your skin and help your blemishes and scars fade away.
- Take 1 egg and separate the white from the yolk.
- Using either your clean hand or a face brush, apply the white directly to the affected patches of skin.
- Let the egg white dry out completely and then rinse with generous amounts of water.
- Undergo this process 1-2 times a week in order to see the effects that you’re looking for.
When you use it regularly, neem is one of the most reliable home remedies for blemishes around. Although it does sometimes take time for the effects to kick in, you can count on the fact that your dark spots and blemishes will fade away. Furthermore, neem is also useful for its absorption of excess sebum that accumulates in your pores, a common cause to the apparition of blemishes.
- Take a handful of dried neem leaves and then crush them.
- Mix in 1-2 tablespoons of honey and stir until you get a paste.
- Spread it over the affected area of your skin and let this mixture sit for about 10-15 minutes.
- Lastly, clean off using generous amounts of water.
- To get the end results that you desire, utilize this face mask 1-2 times a week for the next few months.
7. Fuller’s Earth
Fuller’s earth is one of nature’s greatest exfoliator agents, as well as one of the best home remedies for blemishes. Multani mitti, as it’s known on the scientific stage, can help you get rid of dead skin cells, thus facilitating your skin’s regeneration and the eventual disappearance of blemishes and dark spots.
- Create a paste by blending together 2 teaspoons of fuller’s earth, 1 teaspoon of tomato juice, and 1 teaspoon of sandalwood powder.
- Mix everything together thoroughly and then slather over the affected areas of your skin.
- Leave the paste on for about 20 minutes.
- Lastly, clean off with general amounts of water.
- Repeat this remedy 1-2 times a week for however long it takes to get to the results that you’re looking for.
8. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is very useful for healing and repairing skin, so it’s almost natural that it can help you get rid of blemishes and other unsightly patches of skin. Furthermore, aloe vera contains lots of polysaccharides, compounds which boost the production of new skin cells to replace the old ones, leaving your skin supple and soft.
- Acquire an aloe vera leaf and cut it in two, extracting the gel.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel with 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Using your clean fingers, gently rub this mixture into your skin and let it sit for about 15 minutes.
- Finally, wash off using lukewarm water.
- Repeat all of this 2-3 times a week until you get rid of the problem completely.
Strawberries are powerhouses packed with vitamins and nutrients that all effective home remedies for blemishes need. The acids and vitamin C that strawberries contain help fade scars, remove blemishes, and facilitate production of new and healthy skin cells. They are particularly useful against pimples.
- Thoroughly wash 2-3 strawberries and then mash them gently, making sure to not add too much pressure. This could result in the strawberries being too runny or mushy.
- Combine the mashed strawberries with 2 teaspoons of raw honey, 1 tablespoon of organic oatmeal, and 2 teaspoons of plain yogurt.
- Gently massage this mixture into your skin and then let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Lastly, rinse with lukewarm water and make sure to repeat this remedy 2-3 times a week in order to achieve the results you desire.
10. Shea Butter
Shea butter contains plenty of vitamins and nutrients that make it a fantastic anti-blemish agent, but its most defining compound is vitamin A. Vitamin A is a fantastic substance for skin lightening and for helping scars and dark spots fade away. Furthermore, shea butter is also highly nourishing, so it will leave your skin feeling supple and looking young.
- Start by making sure your face is completely clean and dry first.
- Scoop a little bit of shea butter onto your fingers and then gently rub into the affected skin areas.
- Keep doing this until your skin absorbs all of the butter and then go to bed.
- In the morning, cleanse your skin with a splash of cool water.
- Do this every night before going to bed until you get the results you’re looking for.
Yogurt contains a high percentage of lactic acid, a fantastic natural bleaching agent that can easily help you get rid of blemishes, dark spots, and acne scars. It’s particularly useful against acne breakouts, especially when it comes to their prevention. Be sure to only use plain and organic yogurt for this treatment since, otherwise, you might not get the end results you’re looking for.
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt with 1/2 teaspoon of gram (or chickpea) flour, and a pinch of turmeric powder.
- Stir until you get a pasty consistency and then spread this mixture over your affected skin areas.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes and then rinse off.
- Repeat this remedy 2-3 times a week.
Thanks to a primary compound called curcumin, turmeric is able to even out skin tone and to fade away scars, blemishes, and dark spots. This is also thanks to its potent antioxidant properties, thus making turmeric one of the best home remedies for blemishes.
- Combine 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder with 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Apply this paste over your affected skin areas and then allow it to work its magic for 15-20 minutes.
- Finally, rinse with generous amounts of water and pat dry.
- To get the best of results, repeat this process once every alternate day.
Blemishes are extremely infuriating, we know. Sometimes they’re not even that visible, which creates the obvious paranoid question of, “Am I the only one noticing this or not?” Luckily, you can take immediate action against this pesky issue by using either of these trustworthy and reliable home remedies for blemishes. Have you given either of them a shot before? If yes, would you say that they worked as well as they promised? Let us know about your experience in the comment section below.