Breakouts are some of the scariest things that can happen to your skin. Most of the time, they pop up out of nowhere and they truly wreak havoc in their wake. Needless to say, they’re quite the beauty disaster, especially if you have to show your face in public anywhere within the next few days. If you’re looking for natural, efficient, and quick solutions to this pesky issue, look no further than the incredible home remedies for breakouts that you’re about to discover below. Our recipes are easy to prepare and they really get the job done. What more can you ask for?
Honey is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial remedy, which means that it can help deal with the bacteria and germs inhabiting the surface of your skin and causing this breakout. Furthermore, consumption of honey is going to help your body flush out toxins faster, contributing to the purification and cleansing of your skin.
- Create a blend from 3 tablespoons of honey and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Mix everything together well and then apply to your skin.
- Keep this paste on overnight and then rinse off in the morning.
- Repeat this treatment daily before going to bed if you don’t notice satisfying results after the first use.
2. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is packed with citric agent, a natural astringent, as well as a natural cleanser and whitener that will help reduce the redness of the swellings. It’s one of the most reliable home remedies for breakouts thanks to its property of opening clogged pores and allowing for a quicker healing of the affected skin. Furthermore, lemon juice also helps balance pH levels, thus creating an alkaline environment that’s not particularly welcoming to bacteria.
- In a container, mix some lemon juice and rosewater in equal proportions.
- Dip in a cotton ball and then apply all over the sensitive area.
- Let the solution act for 30 minutes and then rinse off with cool water.
- Repeat regularly (preferably on a daily basis) for the next 3-4 weeks for solid results.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Just like lemon juice, apple cider vinegar is an excellent antiseptic remedy that will kill the bacteria causing the breakouts. Moreover, it’s also excellent for balancing the pH of your skin and preventing new bacteria from flocking into your skin by creating an unwelcoming alkaline environment.
- First of all, wash your face with clean water and dry off completely.
- Create a solution by mixing 1 part apple cider vinegar with 3 parts water.
- Next, soak a cotton ball in this blend and then dab onto the affected skin patches.
- Keep it on for at least 10 minutes or throughout the night.
- Lastly, generously wash off with water and apply moisturizer to prevent skin dryness.
4. Egg Whites
Egg whites are packed with protein and other vitamins which contribute to the recovery of your skin. They are excellent for preventing the apparition of acne scars or for fading already-existing ones. Another amazing thing is that egg whites absorb excess oil (or sebum), leaving the acne-causing bacteria with little to nothing to feed on, thus creating an unfriendly environment. For this reason, egg whites are eggcellent home remedies for breakouts.
- In a bowl, separate the yolks from whites of 2-3 eggs.
- Beat the whites until they get frothy and then allow them to sit for 4-5 minutes.
- Using clean fingers, apply over the troubled skin areas in about 3-4 layers.
- Let this mask work its magic for about 20 minutes.
- Finally, rinse off using generous amounts of water.
5. Tea Tree Oil
Almost paradoxically, tea tree oil is exactly the kind of treatment you need for getting rid of the excess sebum that might be nourishing and feeding the bacteria. Tea tree oil is also a powerful antiseptic and antibacterial agent, helping kill the bacteria as well on top of starving them. Be careful when using tea tree oil since you should only utilize it for external use. Always dilute the oil before using it.
- Create a solution by mixing 1 part tea tree oil with 9 parts water.
- Dip a cotton swab tip in this concoction and then apply directly to the affected areas.
- Let this mixture air dry.
- Repeat the treatment several times throughout the day as many times as you need to get to the end result you desire.
There is a reason why strawberries are often ingredients in various skin products. They contain salicylic acid, which is one of the most popular compounds in anti-acne products. This substance opens up your pores and unclogs them, contributing to a faster healing of your skin. Furthermore, it also kills away at the bacteria that are causing the breakout. Strawberries are, therefore, highly reliable home remedies for breakouts.
- Take 3 strawberries and then wash them thoroughly.
- Mash them until you get a pasty consistency, but don’t go too hard, otherwise you’ll make them runny.
- Combine the strawberries with 2 teaspoons of honey and then mix everything well.
- Apply this mixture to your face and then let it sit for 20 minutes.
- Finally, wash off with generous amounts of water.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times a day until you get the results you’re looking for.
7. Baking Soda
Baking soda is a fantastic antiseptic agent that’s going to destroy the bacteria causing the acne breakout and prevent future ones from flocking over by creating an alkaline environment. Moreover, baking soda is one of the best natural exfoliating agents, thus helping you regain your porcelain, supple skin by promoting the shedding of dead and unhealthy skin cells.
- Combine equal parts of baking soda with water in order to get a paste.
- Apply to your skin and then massage gently in circular motions for 2-3 minutes in order to make use of the exfoliating properties of baking soda.
- Leave this mask on for an additional 15-20 minutes afterwards.
- Lastly, rinse with warm water, pat dry, and apply moisturizer to prevent dryness.
- Repeat this treatment 2 times a day until you notice the change you’re looking for.
Garlic is one of nature’s most potent antiseptic ingredients and, thus, one of the greatest home remedies for breakouts as well. It has powerful antibacterial properties that will kill the pesky germs causing all this mess, but it can also help soothe irritation and redness that often comes with this condition. You can use garlic topically or ingest it, though the recipe we recommend is for topical use.
- Mash 2-3 cloves of garlic.
- Next, add to a small bowl of water and let it all infuse for about 10 minutes.
- Dip a cotton pad or ball in this solution and then apply to the affected areas.
- Let it dry out and then get rid of the smell by rinsing with water and applying a moisturizer.
Oatmeal is mostly a remedy for the appearance since it doesn’t really do much to actually get rid of the bacteria or the causes behind the breakout. What it does to, however, is reduce the redness and swellings that make acne such an unsightly problem to deal with. That being said, we don’t recommend using oatmeal on its own. Combine it with other home remedies for breakouts that will also deal with the bacteria.
- Prepare a batch of oatmeal according to the instructions on your box.
- Next, while the oatmeal is still hot, add in 2 tablespoons of raw, organic honey.
- Let this mixture cool down to room temperature and then apply directly to the sensitive patches of skin.
- Keep it on for 20-30 minutes and then rinse with generous amounts of water.
While it’s definitely rich in fats and oils, avocado only contains the good kind. As a result, similarly to tea tree oil, it will only help absorb the excess sebum that keeps the bacteria on your skin thriving. Avocados are great home remedies for breakouts because of how rich they are in vitamins that your skin needs in order to heal faster.
- Take 1 ripe avocado and then scoop out the inside of it.
- Blend the avocado with 1 tablespoon of honey and mix until you get a blend of a pasty consistency.
- Apply to your skin and let this mix work its wonders for 15-20 minutes.
- Lastly, wash off using lukewarm water.
- Depending on your type of skin, also apply some moisturizer afterward. If your skin is naturally oilier, don’t do it, though!
Oranges, like lemons, are rich in citric acid and vitamin C. However, they obviously differ from each other. What oranges do better than lemons is promote the production of new healthy cells, which in turn will make it easier for your body to fight off the acne breakout. Plus, they also have soothing effects that will help with redness and irritation.
- Take 2 oranges and then peel them off.
- Add the orange peels to a blender or any other device that allows you to grind them.
- Next, add some water and stir until you get a paste. Make sure to add the water gradually to not make this blend runny and watery.
- Slather on your face and keep it on for 15-20 minutes.
- Finally, wash off with generous amounts of water.
12. Olive Oil
Olive oil is an excellent natural antibacterial and anti-inflammatory agent, thus helping you deal with two of the biggest issues associated with breakouts: the bacteria causing them and the swellings. Plus, it will also leave your skin supple and soft once the acne fades away.
- Mix 1/8 teaspoon of lemon juice with 1/4 teaspoon of olive oil to create a solution.
- Dip in a cotton ball and then apply directly to your skin.
- Let it sit for about 5-10 minutes and then rinse with lots of water.
Sadly, breakouts aren’t the stereotypical bane of a teenager’s existence. They can happen to anyone, for a number of different reasons, most of which involve our very own lifestyle choices. Most of the time, using some simple home remedies for breakouts is going to help you get rid of this issue, but it’s important to also consult a dermatologist if the situation is serious.