A cavity refers to a small hole in the tooth due to the result of bacteria building up in the mouth. Poor hygiene, health conditions like diabetes and unhealthy eating habits all contribute to tooth decay. Cavities are very painful, and even with the best protection, you may end up with one or two. Knowing a few home remedies for cavities provides you with quick options to deal with the problem right at home.
Try our home remedies for cavities and get rid of tooth decay
Sodium is one of the first tooth cavities home remedies that most people turn to. Salt is very effective in reducing inflammation, which may be an issue when suffering from cavities. Then there are the antibacterial and antiseptic traits of salt, which make it ideal for cleaning out the debris stuck between teeth. Salt water will also ease the pain caused by cavities.
- Dissolve a teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water.
- Swish the solution in the mouth for a minute.
- Use this remedy three times daily to get relief.
2. Activated Charcoal
Activated charcoal is great for teeth whitening, but it can also help you get rid of the toxins hiding in oral cavities. The porosity of activated charcoal allows it to trap hazardous substances. It is also suitable for treating gingivitis, which may be one reason your teeth have cavities. Charcoal provides teeth with the minerals they requires for new enamel, and that minimizes the effects of cavities.
- Dip a wet toothbrush in activated charcoal (powder form).
- Brush gently in circles for 2 minutes.
- Spit out the charcoal.
- Rinse your mouth.
- Repeat twice every week for satisfactory results.
This common kitchen ingredient will make an efficient home remedy for cavities because it is a powerful antibacterial. It will get rid of the plaque and germs that are festering in the mouth. Garlic works wonders as a painkiller, so it will offer respite when suffering from a tooth cavity. The antifungal properties of garlic will prevent the spread of microorganisms to other parts of the mouth.
- Crush 3 cloves of garlic.
- Add ¼ teaspoon of salt and mix to make a paste.
- Apply on the diseased tooth and leave for 10 minutes.
- Rinse your mouth.
Lemons are just as useful to your dental care as they are to your overall health. The acidity of lemon juice kills all sorts of germs and bacteria that are cultivating in the mouth. Additionally, the acid keeps your oral cavities free from further infections because the environment becomes unfavorable for microorganisms. The vitamin C also does wonders in improving the health of your teeth and gums.
- Thinly slice a lemon.
- Chew a slice with the diseased tooth.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water.
You can’t talk about home remedies for cavities without considering turmeric, given its superior healing qualities. Firstly, it’s an antiseptic, so it is very effective in clearing out the food remnants and other debris in the mouth. The spice is also an anti-inflammatory, which reduces any reddening of gums. Turmeric will also help minimize the severity of a toothache.
- Apply turmeric powder to the tooth with a cavity.
- Leave it for several minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Mix ½ a teaspoon of turmeric powder with a little mustard oil.
- Massage the paste on the affected tooth.
- Leave it for 10 minutes then spit it out.
- Wash your mouth with warm water.
6. Oil Pulling
In Ayurvedic medicine, oil pulling is a popular method of detoxifying the mouth. Poor diets and hygiene can cause an accumulation of toxins in oral cavities. Oil pulling makes it possible to get rid of harmful substances in the mouth rapidly. Coconut oil is a preferred choice for this home remedy for cavities because it has powerful antibacterial properties. It also contains useful fatty acids that are healthy for your teeth.
- Put a tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth.
- Swish it around in the mouth gently for 20 minutes (be careful not to gargle or swallow).
- Spit it out.
- Brush your teeth.
- Use the remedy every morning before eating.
7. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera can control cavity-causing bacteria better than some of the toothpaste brands on the market. The compounds called anthraquinones give the plant the power to kill different types of bacteria, including the plaque-inducing kind. Wound healing is another power of Aloe Vera that will make your cavities more tolerable. The herbal treatment will also reduce pain and swelling of the gums because Aloe Vera is an anti-inflammatory.
- Cut an aloe vera leaf then squeeze the gel into a cup.
- Dilute the gel with water.
- Sip the solution and swish it in the mouth for several minutes.
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly after spitting it out.
Nutmeg is another herb that is highly recommended when looking for home remedies for cavities. It contains compounds that are useful in fighting tooth decay. The herb will also give you relief from a toothache. Nutmeg is an anti-inflammatory, meaning it will reduce any swelling of the gums that is caused by tooth decay. It also inhibits bacterial growth, thereby minimizing the development of plaque.
- Grate a few nutmegs.
- Mix with clove or oregano oil.
- Apply the blend on the affected tooth and wait for 10 minutes.
- Wash your mouth with warm water.
- Use this remedy 3-4 times every day for best results.
Indians have been using neem for oral health for the longest time. Neem is one of the most potent natural antibacterials out there, which is why it makes one of the greatest home remedies for cavities. It will weed out all the harmful microorganisms eating away at your teeth. Neem twigs and leaves are some parts of the plant that you can use in different ways to get pain relief from cavities.
- Chew on a soft neem stem to combat tooth decay.
- Rinse your mouth.
- You can also mix a tablespoon of neem powder with a pinch of salt.
- Dip your toothbrush into the blend and brush your teeth.
- Rinse your mouth and spit out.
10. Oregano Oil
Oregano oil is one compound you can use to cure tooth decay. For one, it has numbing properties that will help relieve the pain that comes with tooth cavities. Another reason it makes our list of home remedies for cavities is that it has antimicrobial properties, meaning it gets rid of bad bacteria breeding in the mouth. It keeps your oral cavities free from microorganisms, and that reduces the formation of plaque, you can also use oregano oil as a home remedy for tooth infection.
- Mix a teaspoon of oregano oil with a pinch of salt and water.
- Dip your toothbrush in this solution.
- Brush your teeth.
- Alternatively, dab a cotton ball with oregano oil and apply on the affected tooth and gum.
- Give the oregano 30 minutes to absorb into the cavity.
Besides giving you fresh breath, peppermint is efficient in killing the bacteria growing in your tooth cavities, including anaerobic strains- the menthol in the plant gives it dominant antimicrobial traits. Peppermint is an excellent pain reliever and will soothe an aching tooth. You can use its leaves or extract when searching for suitable home remedies for cavities.
- Boil peppermint leaves in water for 15 minutes.
- Strain the tea and drink while warm.
- Rinse your mouth with the solution to get satisfactory results.
12. Wheatgrass Juice
Herbalists recommend wheatgrass for dental care because the plant has antibacterial traits that will help rid your mouth of germs. It is also very effective in preventing bad breath – a common worry when dealing with tooth decay. Wheatgrass also helps with pain relief, hence its use as one of the home remedies for cavities. The plant is nutrient-rich with vitamins A and E, and minerals like magnesium; all these contribute to good oral health.
- Mix wheatgrass with water.
- Swish the solution in the mouth for a minute then spit it out.
- Repeat daily.
13. Clove Oil
Clove is one of the top tooth cavities home remedies because it possesses a combination of healing qualities. It is an analgesic, which comes in handy when your diseased tooth can’t stop aching. Clove is an antibacterial, so it will get rid of the various microorganisms in your oral cavities and minimize the risk of the condition spreading. Lastly, it is an anti-inflammatory, which is essential when suffering from any kind of dental issue.
- Mix ¼ teaspoon of sesame seed oil with 3 drops of clove oil.
- Dip a cotton ball into this solution then apply to the affected tooth.
- Hold it for 15 minutes then remove it.
- Do this every night before sleeping.
Ginger is one of the top natural antiseptics, which makes it one of the reliable remedies for cavities. A potent antiseptic simplifies the task and reduces the threat of bacteria cultivating in the mouth. Ginger is an anti-inflammatory as well, which allows it to eliminate swelling and toothache.
- Slice ginger into small pieces.
- Press a piece on the diseased tooth and wait for a few minutes to let the juice get into the cavity.
- Chew the fresh ginger root with the affected tooth if you wish.
15. Black Pepper and Basil
Black pepper is one of the top natural anti-inflammatories you can use when treating tooth decay. Basil, on the other hand, helps prevent bad breath. The herb is well known for its antibacterial properties, meaning it will help with your cleansing routine. Combining the two substances gives you one of the most reliable home remedies for cavities.
- Crush several basil leaves into a powder.
- Add a pinch of black pepper.
- Rub the mixture into the affected tooth for pain relief.
Home remedies for cavities can help keep the pain and bacteria accumulation at bay. The right kitchen ingredients can provide your teeth and gums with nutrients and healing. Some of these natural treatments will have quicker effects than others, so find one that suits your needs best. Do you know of any cavities home remedies? we will love to hear all about it in the comments!