Chest congestion is a condition resulting when mucus membranes become inflamed and mucus and fluid build up in the lungs, trachea, and/or respiratory tract. This can cause chest tightness and pressure, a cough, and breathing difficulties. Since these symptoms are usually painful, you will want to find relief quickly. We recommend natural home remedies for chest congestion that are just as effective and less expensive than over-the-counter medications. Also, they are more appropriate for senior citizens, children, and pregnant women who cannot take medications.
Try our natural home remedies for chest congestion to get rid of the discomfort
A good home remedy you can try is inhaling steam from heated water. Therefore, the steam’s heat and moisture liquefies and dissolves the mucus. Once it is dissolved in this way, the body can then eliminate it. Adding a few drops of peppermint or eucalyptus essential oil to the water also helps to dissolve phlegm. This is also a remedy for different upper respiratory infections.
- Bulk 4oz Bottle of Peppermint Oil - Amazing, fresh smelling Peppermint essential oil at an incredible value.
- You'll Love the Smell - We know most customers use essential oil for aromatherapy or for their wonderful aroma. We tested 100s of samples to ensure every batch of Peppermint oil smells amazing!
- Perfect for Aromatherapy and DIY Products - Add a few drops to your favorite essential oil diffuser, or add a few drops to homemade candles, soaps, lotions, or shampoos for a wonderful smelling homemade Peppermint products.
- Sun Essentials Offers Peppermint Oil in a Variety of Sizes - Get Peppermint essential oil in 4 ounce, 8 ounce, and 16 ounce amber bottles. We also have a huge variety of scents and blends.
- American Based Company with American Based Customer Service - All of our essential oils are in the United States, if you ever have any issues please contact our United States based customer service team for a full refund or replacement
- Pour boiling water into a large bowl.
- Place a bath towel over your head.
- Lean over the bowl until you are directly over the steam.
- Inhale the vapors deeply.
- Continue until the steam dissipates.
2. Salt Water
- ON YOUR TABLE FOR GENERATIONS - Morton has been a household staple since 1848
- A SALT WE ARE FAMOUS FOR - all purpose salt for cooking and baking, as well as for seasoning at the table
- MADE TO MEASURE - uniformly shaped crystals make table salt the best choice for baking, where precise measurements are critical
- FOR ALL SEASONS - No pun intended. Whether it’s your next dinner party or a night in, Morton has it covered
- JUST A PINCH - That’s all it takes. Take your meal to the next level with Morton
Salt draws liquid and moisture from any object that it contacts. When you gargle, the salt draws the mucus from your tissues, pulling the congestion from your chest. The heated water acts as a conduit for the salt and also reduces any irritation in your throat. This combination helps the body flush the congestion from the system.
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of salt to an 8-ounce glass of warm water.
- Mix well until the salt is thoroughly dissolved.
- Gargle for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Repeat this gargle 4 to 5 times a day.
Ginger is also an anti-inflammatory and can soothe throat pain. It contains polyphenols that actually work to reduce the inflammation of the mucus membranes and restrict mucus secretion. Ginger’s immunity building properties attack the underlying causes of your chest congestion.
- Chop 1 tablespoon of raw ginger into small pieces.
- Add the ginger to an 8-ounce cup of hot water.
- Cover the mixture and allow it to steep for 5 minutes.
- Strain the mixture and add 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Drink up to 3 cups of this ginger tea daily.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
- MOTHER KNOWS BEST - Made from certified organic, USA-grown apples, our premium, unfiltered apple cider vinegar (ACV) has lots of “the Mother” so many look for. This cloudy combo of bacterial cultures and dietary fiber shows that it’s unpasteurized, raw and ultra-pure.
- AS HARDWORKING AS YOU ARE - Whether as a tangy salad dressing swap-in, quick digestive tonic, natural household cleaner or easy hair rinse, fans grab ACV for its alkalizing potential and up-for-anything usefulness. Multitasking? Yes.
- SIMPLY MADE - To make sure you get fresh flavor and rich color, our non-GMO ACV is fermented from fresh apple juice (not concentrate), and no heat or harsh chemicals are used throughout the process.
- GLASS BOTTLE FOR BETTER TASTE - Since glass acts as an oxygen-barrier and preserves taste, that’s what we use. Plus, it’s recyclable, so it’s good for the planet, too.
- CERTIFIED PURE - Our ACV is made in a GSFI (Global Food Safety Initiative)-Certified facility, a worldwide safety standard. The facility’s also free from “big 8” allergens like peanuts, milk and eggs. So you can feel confident that what you’re getting is nothing but pure.
Apple cider vinegar thins the mucus in the chest so that you can breathe more easily. It kills bacteria so it helps your body fight the infection. Vinegar’s anti-microbes boost your immune system to help you prevent infections and chest congestion in the future. Apple cider vinegar is also recommended as a home remedy for a stuffy nose. You should wait at least 6 hours between each dose to avoid stomach upset.
- Place 2 teaspoons of organic raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar into a cup of warm water.
- Mix in 1 teaspoon of raw honey.
- Drink this solution 2 to 3 times a day until symptoms subside.
- Boil 1 cup of apple cider vinegar in a large pot.
- Pour the boiling vinegar into a large bowl.
- Place a towel over your head and lean over the bowl.
- Inhale the vapors until the steam dissipates.
Turmeric is one of the most flexible spices, providing a variety of health benefits. It is a natural anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory so it is used to treat a number of respiratory ailments. It contains a compound called curcumin which acts as an expectorant to help you eliminate mucus. For this reason, turmeric is one of the most effective home remedies for chest congestion. It also works to treat your cough and reduce your throat pain. Turmeric is very acidic so it is not recommended for those with hyperacidity issues or stomach ulcers.
- 2.38 ounces; Glass bottle
- Organic Alleppey turmeric, with a minimum 4% curcumin content, for warm color and flavor
- Certfied Organic; Kosher
- Simply Organic is committed to supporting organic and sustainable farming communities.
- A Brand of Frontier Co-op, responsible to people and planet
- Heat 8 ounces of milk just to the boiling point.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric to the boiling milk.
- Drink this mixture while hot.
- Enjoy this drink 2 times a day.
Onions contain sulfur and quercetin which makes them effective in dissolving mucus that collects in the chest. They also contain anti-microbes which help you fight infection. Though they work in your system in a similar way to ginger, they are prepared very differently.
- Extract the juice of a medium or large onion.
- Mix the onion juice with equal amounts of lemon juice, honey, and water.
- Heat the mixture until it is lukewarm.
- Drink this mixture 3 to 4 times a day.
- A great tasting healthy. Heirloom, Non-GMO
- Easy to Grow and Harvest from Bulb
- Great Producer--Lots of Bulbs per plant
- Better Than Anything in the Store
- Buy only Country Creek Brand by Country Creek--Not Chinese Counterfeits (be careful)
Garlic has been used for medicinal purposes for thousands of years, and not just to ward off vampires. It has been prescribed to boost the immune system, lower blood pressure, and reduce cholesterol. It is also an effective home remedy for chest congestion and many other common cold symptoms. The variety of sulfur-containing, amino acids in garlic is what provides its medicinal qualities.
- Crush 2 to 3 cloves of garlic.
- Mix the crushed garlic into 8 ounces of milk or water.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of honey.
- Drink 2 times a day.
8. Oregano Oil
- Nature’s Answer Oil of Oregano Extract Supports Healthy Intestinal & Digestive Function
- Oil of Oregano Extract Promotes Overall Good Health & Wellness*
- Pure Standardized Extract, not to be confused with less potent Tinctures.
- By using Advanced Botanical Fingerprint Technology, Nature’s Answer assures you the quality of each ingredient by identifying the purity of every incoming botanical, only promising you the purest form of each extract in every product.
- Gluten-Free, Alcohol-Free, Tested & Verified, Holistically Balanced, Family-Owned & Operated
Oregano contains carvacrol, flavonoids, and rosmarinic acid, which all have natural decongestant and anti-histamine properties. Rosmarinic acid reduces swelling and fluid buildup during allergy attacks. These facts make oregano oil an effective chest congestion home remedy. This is particularly true when the congestion is due to asthma or an allergic reaction.
- Mix 1 part pure oregano oil with 3 parts water.
- Rub the mixture directly onto chest and throat to reduce swelling and remove congestion.
Fennel is another versatile herb which is among the most effective home remedies for chest congestion. It is used to treat a variety of digestive disorders and to prevent some forms of cancer. In addition, it has decongestant properties that allow it to clear mucus from the lungs. It contains creosol and alpha-pinene, two chemicals that work to loosen congestion and make your cough more productive. The best part is that you can use the entire fennel plant.
- Laxmi Curry Powder is strong cooking spice that is a blend of Ground Coriander, Red Chilies, Turmeric, Cumin, Pepper, and Fenugreek.
- Laxmi Curry Powder is strong cooking spice that is a blend of Ground Coriander, Red Chilies, Turmeric, Cumin, Pepper, and Fenugreek. Our Curry Powder is excellent to use in Soups, Curries, Chili, on roasted vegetables, in Masalas, - or any dish that needs a burst of flavor!
- House of Spices Curry Powder is an all natural food product that is guaranteed fresh. Our Curry Powder is of the highest quality and will be a delightful addition to any meal.
- Our Laxmi Extra Hot Curry Powder is conveniently sized for home cooking! House of Spices has all of the Traditional Indian Spices and food products you need to get cooking.
- At House of Spices, spreading Indian food culture through quality products and family recipes is our company goal! Our authentic Indian Cooking spices are of the best quality and will bring intense flavor and vitality to your dinner table. Whether you're looking for traditional Indian spices and food products to create an exotic dinner, or simply wanting to indulge your nostalgia and make a dinner with all of the familiar flavors of home, House of Spices has the ingredients you need!
- Remove the fronds from the fennel plant.
- Sautee the fronds with a pinch of curry powder.
- Add it to your food for a flavor boost and to clear your congestion.
- Cut the stems of the fennel plant into strips.
- Serve as a crudite with your favorite dip.
- As an added boost, add chopped fennel fronds to your dip.
10. Mustard Plaster
A mustard plaster is not only one of the best home remedies for chest congestion, but it is also effective in the treatment of more serious respiratory infections like bronchitis and pneumonia. However, you need to be careful to remove the plaster immediately if it causes a skin burning sensation.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of dry mustard with 4 tablespoons of flour.
- Add just enough water and a little olive oil to make a thin paste.
- Spread the paste onto a clean muslin cloth and place it on your chest.
- Leave it on until it cools.
11. Chicken Soup
It is not simply an old wives’ tale that chicken soup has medicinal properties. It is among the most popular home remedies for chest congestion for good reason as it thins mucus in the lungs and nasal passages. Chicken soup, especially when it contains vegetables, supports white blood cells in fighting any infection that may exist in the body. The carnosine and calcium that are in the chicken, make the soup an effective anti-inflammatory. Best of all, it’s the tastiest of all the home remedies for chest congestion.
- Halve 4 carrots, 4 celery stalks, and 1 large onion.
- Place in a large soup pot with 1 whole chicken or 2 large split chicken breasts.
- Cover the contents with cold water.
- Heat to a boil and then simmer until chicken falls off the bone.
- Remove everything from the broth.
- Remove the chicken from the bone and chop the carrots, celery, and onion.
- Season the broth with salt, pepper, and 1 teaspoon of chicken bouillon granules.
- Return chicken, carrots, celery, and onion to the broth.
- Heat and serve.
12. Eucalyptus and Peppermint Herbal Hot PacksVolatile essential herbs are natural decongestants and expectorants that thin mucus and ease breathing. These herbs and the oils made from them, work in a variety of ways to relieve your congestion. Many also kill bacteria and germs, contributing to your overall good health. Eucalyptus and peppermint are two of the most effective chest congestion home remedies, and they also work great for a cough in kids. As an added bonus, you can use the oils in a diffuser or humidifier and inhale the vapors as you sleep.
- EUCALYPTUS LEAF - Frontier Co-op Cut and Sifted Organic Eucalyptus Leaf (Eucalyptus globulus) is a fragrant addition to teas and other beverages.
- A VERSATILE INGREDIENT - Eucalyptus leaves are used as an ingredient in many products, ranging from teas to mouthwash. Eucalyptus oil is used in perfumes, cosmetics and air purifiers.
- DISTINCTLY AROMATIC - Eucalyptus leaf is intensely aromatic with a mix of menthol, citrus, and pine scents. The aroma is bitter and warm, but finishes with a cooling sensation.
- ORGANIC FROM SPAIN - Frontier Co-op Cut and Sifted Organic Eucalyptus Leaf is grown in Spain. This product is certified organic, kosher and non-irradiated.
- ABOUT US - Owned by stores and organizations that buy and sell our products, Frontier Co-op has been a member-owned cooperative since 1976. We support natural living and our products are never irradiated or treated with ETO. We’re committed to the health and welfare of the environment and everyone producing and consuming our botanical products.
- Roast a small amount of eucalyptus and peppermint for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Tightly pack this combination and wrap in a thin muslin cloth.
- Place this pack on your chest or throat, wherever you need it most, for a few seconds.
Chest congestion is caused by bacteria, a virus, or an allergen, and is generally a symptom of some other disease. If your chest is congested, you may have a cold or the flu, or you may have something more serious like asthma or pneumonia. Using home remedies for chest congestion, like the ones listed above, should provide you with relief within the first few days. However, if your symptoms persist, you should consult your healthcare professional because treatment of a more serious illness may be necessary. Did you try any of these remedies, which one worked for you best?
Last update on 2021-02-24 at 05:01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API