Chlamydia is a widespread sexually transmitted disease caused by bacteria. Although chlamydia is not life-threatening, if left untreated, it can cause sex-specific complications. Men may experience nongonococcal urethritis (inflammation of the urethra), epididymitis (inflammation of the epididymis), or proctitis (inflammation of the lining of the rectum). Women are likely to develop pelvic inflammation disease or become infertile. Antibiotics are the recommended treatment, but home remedies for chlamydia are sometimes less time consuming and more efficient. Listed below are instructions for how to use these natural remedies to treat chlamydia.
Get fast relief with healthy, natural home remedies for Chlamydia!
Garlic is one of the oldest home remedies for chlamydia. It is composed of antiviral, antibiotic, and antibacterial chemicals that help boost the immune system and speed up the healing process. Chlamydia can be treated by consuming garlic (either raw or in the form of unsweetened garlic juice or garlic capsules).
Aside from treating chlamydia, the ingredients in garlic also help give the body a general immune boost and protect against other infections. This common ingredient is also effective as a home remedy for bacterial vaginosis. Although garlic is beneficial to the body, overconsumption can cause bad breath, diarrhea, vomiting, and can increase one’s risk of bleeding.
- Eat two cloves of garlic every day (or substitute with unsweetened garlic juice or garlic capsules).
- Continue treatment for two weeks (or until symptoms disappear entirely).
2. Olive leaf extract
Another effective chlamydia home remedy is the application of olive leaf extract to the infected areas. It boosts the immune system, and it is fairly easy to find as an extract, a powder, a leaf, or a salve. These all serve the same purpose and work in relatively the same way.
Oleuropein, the active ingredient in olive leaf extract, kills the bacteria when it is applied directly. This extract helps keep the infection from spreading and prevent reinfection.
- Apply the extract to the affected skin.
- Leave the olive leaf extract on for a few minutes.
- Rinse the area with warm water.
Sage is a perennial plant that is one of the most popular home remedies for chlamydia; in fact, it is perhaps the oldest and most-trusted treatment. Sage has been used for treating diseases of the sex organs for centuries. The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of sage help the body fight off infection and make it a very effective treatment for chlamydia.
- Boil one cup of water with a spoonful of ground sage leaves.
- Cover and steep for a few minutes.
- Drink the tea while it is warm
- Drink two to three cups a day.
- Continue treatment for two weeks (or until the symptoms of chlamydia improve).
Echinacea is a tonic and a cleanser for the body. It has strong antibacterial and antiviral effects. Echinacea also has strong anti-inflammatory properties that help the body in flushing out many types of infections.
In addition to being an effective home remedy for chlamydia, consumption of echinacea is generally beneficial for the immune system. Drinking echinacea as a tea is the recommended method. (The tea should be consumed without sugar, as sugar can worsen the symptoms of chlamydia.) Echinacea is also available (and nearly as beneficial) in the form of capsules, tinctures, and powders.
- Place an Echinacea tea bag in a cup of boiling water.
- Let it steep for 3-5 minutes.
- Drink a cup of warm tea twice a day.
- Repeat treatment for 15 days or until symptoms start to disappear.
5. Cat’s claw
Cat’s claw is effective for curing many health problems and has been used for hundreds of years as an anti-inflammatory. It has many more antioxidant properties than a large collection of fruits, vegetables, and medicinal plants. Its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties strengthen the immune system, but they can also benefit the bones and joints and cell division.
Overusing capsules of cat’s claw may cause unwanted, and serious, side effects.
Pregnant women and nursing mothers should use a different home remedy altogether.
- Take 500 milligrams of cat’s claw three to four times a day.
- Continue treatment for 2 weeks.
Eating curd is just as beneficial for treating chlamydia as antibiotics. Curd is a natural antibiotic that gives the immune system a quick boost. The good bacteria present in curd (also present in low-fat yogurt) helps fight off the bad bacteria by making the body resistant to bacterial infection.
Aside from consuming curd, applying yogurt to the affected areas can also be a treatment for chlamydia. Consuming yogurt can also help relieve the itching and burning sensations associated with chlamydia. Eating curd or yogurt can help prevent infectious diseases and give the body a general immune boost.
- Consume curd or yogurt once or twice a day.
- Continue treatment until the symptoms of chlamydia have improved.
Drinking usnea tea is another of the many home remedies for chlamydia. Also known as Old Man’s Beard, usnea is a herb that has been used to treat wounds and skin inflammations since ancient times.
The plant is a combination of algae and moss, and it looks like cloth fibers. Usnea contains antibacterial properties which resist infection and inflammation. It also has powerful antiviral properties and antiseptic agents that reduce the risk of fungal and viral infections.
- Purchase dried Usnea and grind a teaspoon of the lichen.
- Add the powder to boiling water.
- Let it steep for no more than four minutes.
- Drink the tea (without sugar or milk) once a day.
- Continue treatment for one week.
Some experiments have shown that Usnea may be linked with liver damage, so only take this remedy orally after talking with a health care professional.
People have been using this herb to fight off chlamydia for centuries. It is also a good home remedy for many kinds of fungal and bacterial infections. Goldenseal has strong antimicrobial and antibacterial qualities and is a plentiful source of berberine, an enzyme that stimulates the immune system and helps create more white blood cells.
Goldenseal can be used to make a douche which can eliminate the bacteria from the infected area.
- Combine the powder of one capsule with ¼ teaspoon of salt and one glass of warm water.
- Mix well (so that salt and powder fully dissolve).
- Wait for five minutes before applying.
- Clean the area with douche two or three times a day.
- Continue treatment until the symptoms of chlamydia improve significantly.
9. Saw palmetto
Saw palmetto has anti-inflammatory properties and antibacterial properties which make it ideal for eliminating harmful bacteria and an effective treatment for chlamydia. This is a palm-like plant with berries. This plant is also a great source of fatty acids, flavonoids, and polysaccharides; these nutrients help improve the immune system.
Saw palmetto can be found in powdered capsules, tablets, liquid tinctures, and dried berries. Taking capsules is recommended, although pregnant women, nursing mothers, and children should not use saw palmetto (common side effects include headaches, dizziness, and diarrhea).
- Take 160 mg of Saw Palmetto capsule each day.
- Continue treatment for ten days or until the symptoms of chlamydia decrease.
Drinking turmeric milk is an effective home remedy for chlamydia. Turmeric is popular in adding flavor to many Indian dishes. Aside from its use as a spice, people treat infectious diseases with the help of turmeric.
The consumption of turmeric helps rid the body of free radicals. Turmeric has antibacterial agents, antiseptic properties, and antioxidant properties; these properties help to boost the immune system and hasten healing.
- Add two tablespoons of turmeric to a glass of warm milk.
- Stir well (until turmeric is completely dissolved).
- Drink turmeric milk two to three times a day.
- Continue treatment until the symptoms of chlamydia decrease significantly.
The properties of lemongrass (antioxidant, antibacterial, and diuretic) make it one of the best home remedies for chlamydia. Lemongrass wards off harmful bacteria. It helps to flush out the urinary tract. Moreover, it helps rid the body of the foul discharge that comes from the penis and the vagina in those who have contracted chlamydia.
- Add a few blades of lemongrass to a cup of boiling water.
- Cover and let steep for ten minutes.
- Let the concoction rest for two to three minutes after it has steeped.
- Strain the tea.
- Drink three times daily.
- Continue treatment for ten to fourteen days.
12. Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil is another remedy commonly used to treat chlamydia. In addition to treating the chlamydia bacteria, tea tree oil is used in curing other contagious infections that are contracted sexually. This oil is mainly known for its antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties; this makes tea tree oil a good treatment for viral and fungal infections as well as bacterial infections.
Tea tree oil helps to alleviate the burning and itching sensations related to the chlamydia. It can also be a remedy for the foul discharge that comes from the sex organs.
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil to warm water.
- Soak a clean cotton ball in the solution.
- Remove the extra water.
- Apply the solution to the infected areas.
- Wash gently.
- Continue this treatment once a day for ten days.
Neem leaves have therapeutic properties relevant to treating chlamydia. This ingredient also comes in oils and creams. Neem has many antibacterial properties along with antimicrobial and antitoxin properties.
Aside from helping to get rid the body of the chlamydia bacteria, it can also help rid the body of free radicals and other poisonous materials. Neem can fasten the healing process and prevent against reinfection. You can consume neem as a tea or use it to prepare a solution for douching. However, neem tea is the recommended option for more severe cases.
- Prepare neem tea using dried leaves.
- Let it steep for 5 minutes, then strain the tea.
- Drink two cups per day.
- Continue treatment for one week.
Douche mixture instructions:
- Combine 50 neem leaves with boiled water.
- Apply to the affected areas once a day.
- Continue treatment for ten days.
14. Oregano oil
Probably the strongest of chlamydia home remedies, oregano oil is also effective in treating many other kinds of infections. Oregano oil also helps prevent against any type of bodily infection that may appear in the future. This oil has antiseptic, antifungal, antiviral, and antiparasitic properties and builds the immune system.
It is important not to overuse oregano oil because it can be toxic to the body.
- Add one to two drops of oregano oil to a cup of warm water.
- Stir well (so that the oregano oil completely dissolves in the water).
- Drink the solution immediately (waiting could result in the oil separating from the water).
15. Aloe vera
Using aloe vera is another natural treatment for chlamydia. Aloe vera has anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties that help relieve the burning and itching brought on by chlamydia. You can apply Aloe Vera gel topically or include the juice of the plant in your diet.
For the best results, the individual should apply aloe vera gel to the genitals and drink half a cup of aloe vera juice daily. However, you can effectively treat chlamydia using only one of these methods.
- Drink half a cup of aloe vera juice daily.
- Gently apply aloe vera gel to the affected area.
- Rinse off with warm water.
- Apply gel three to four times per day.
- Continue treatment until the symptoms of chlamydia disappear.
All the home remedies for chlamydia mentioned above are good alternatives to taking antibiotics. Of all the sexually transmitted diseases, chlamydia may be the simplest to heal. However, since more serious complications can take effect if gone untreated, it is important to consult a doctor if the disease is contracted. Other home remedies for chlamydia exist; readers are encouraged to comment on the above remedies and to add known treatments that went unmentioned.