Cholesterol is a type of fat that your body needs, but definitely not in high doses. When too much cholesterol accumulates, it can be the cause of some serious health issues, particularly heart diseases. Lifestyle choices are some of the main factors which can influence your levels of cholesterol. While a proper medication is mandatory to treat this ailment, you can keep it under control even better by utilizing some home remedies for cholesterol in parallel. Below, you will find a number of fantastic natural and effective remedies that can help bring balance to your cholesterol levels.
1. Red Onions
Red onions open this list of home remedies for cholesterol because of just how beneficial they are when dealing with this issue. Aside from reducing the levels of bad cholesterol, they also boost the production of the good kind. As a result, it’s an excellent idea to consume red onions, regardless of the method, in order to reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Take a red onion and chop it really finely.
- Add the onion to a cup of buttermilk together with 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
- Stir thoroughly and then drink this mixture as regularly as possible – at least 4-5 times a week.
2. Coriander Seeds
Maybe they’re not as precise as the home remedies for cholesterol that get very specific about the kind of cholesterol they reduce, but coriander seeds are definitely effective. When digested, they can lower the total levels of cholesterol, as well as triglycerides.
- Add 2 teaspoons of coriander seed powder to a cup of water and then mix thoroughly to incorporate everything in one solution.
- Bring it to heat and then let it boil for a few seconds.
- Then, remove from heat and strain the mixture.
- Add sugar, milk, and cardamom to give it a pleasant flavor.
- Finally, drink this solution twice a day to get the results you desire.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar seems to be a universal problem solver. It’s a reliable natural treatment for a number of ailments and conditions, including high cholesterol levels. Aside from being able to lower cholesterol levels, it can also bring down triglycerides. For its high potency and incredibly safe nature, apple cider vinegar is one of the most effective home remedies for cholesterol.
- Add 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water and then stir well.
- Drink this mixture twice a day for a month to start noticing results.
- You may also gradually increase the quantity to a maximum of 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.
Honey is packed with nutrients and minerals which help keep cholesterol levels under control. One of its most interesting properties is the ability to prevent cholesterol from leaving your blood and spreading further through the body. Because of this, honey is one of the most impressive home remedies for cholesterol by far.
- Stir 1 teaspoon of honey into 1 cup of hot water.
- Drink this mixture in the morning on an empty stomach on a daily basis for a few months.
- Furthermore, you may also add 1 teaspoon of lemon or 10 drops of apple cider vinegar to create a more effective solution.
Oranges have a high concentration of vitamin C, a compound that’s incredibly important to the fight against bad fats. Other substances that can greatly help and that oranges contain are folate and flavonoids. The most effective variation of this treatment is drinking orange juice fortified with sterols.
- Prepare your own homemade orange juice by first acquiring some organic oranges from a trustworthy procurer.
- For a small glass, you will need roughly three oranges. Peel them and then place the slices in a juice maker.
- In order to see results, you have to drink 3 cups of orange juice every day, so make sure to stock up on oranges!
6. Indian Gooseberry
Indian gooseberry is also known as amla fruit and it’s one of the most powerful home remedies for cholesterol. It’s a natural hypolipidemic agent, which means that it helps reduce lipid concentration in the body. Therefore, it’s excellent for lowering the overall levels of fat.
- Add 1 teaspoon of Indian gooseberry powder to a glass of warm water and then stir everything thoroughly.
- Have a glass of this solution every morning on an empty stomach to reduce cholesterol levels.
Turmeric is excellent for plenty of things, including reduction of cholesterol levels in your blood. This is all thanks to curcumin, the primary compound found in turmeric which also helps with the healing of wounds. But most importantly, it’s an agent that can help get rid of bad cholesterol buildup on artery walls.
- Boil 1 1/2 tablespoons of water for a few seconds.
- Next, add in 3/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder, as well as 2 tablespoons of cooked and mashed eggplant.
- Mix everything into a paste that you can easily spread on a loaf of bread.
- Have this mixture every morning after breakfast.
8. Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek seeds contain certain compounds doubled as steroidal saponins which serve a number of properties, including one that makes the seeds one of the best home remedies for cholesterol. The steroidal saponins reduce the amount of bad cholesterol that the body absorbs from the rich-in-fats foods you consume while also bringing down the already existing levels.
- Soak 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in a cup of water and leave them to sit overnight.
- In the morning, grind the seeds until you get a pasty consistency. Combine with a bit of honey to provide a better taste and then consume while alternating with some water.
Oatmeal is a fantastic way of reducing cholesterol levels. A simple bowl of oatmeal a day is going to help a great deal and this is all thanks to the high fiber levels that it contains. First and foremost, it brings down the cholesterol already present in your body, but it also minimizes the amount of fats the body absorbs from high-fat foods.
- To cook oatmeal, add 3 1/4 cups of water to a saucepan.
- Bring to heat and add 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Next, bring the water to a boil and stir in 2 cups of rolled oats.
- Reduce heat and then let it all simmer for 5 minutes.
- Finally, remove from heat and you’ve earned yourself four servings of oatmeal!
Celery contains a substance called butylphthalide which, among other things, helps balance cholesterol levels in your body. Aside from that, celery can also prevent oxidation from the cholesterol already existing in your blood. Because of how effective it is, there’s no wonder it’s one of the best home remedies for cholesterol that you could rely on.
- Whip out a delicious celery juice by acquiring three carrots and two celery stalks.
- Chop the veggies into smaller pieces for proper processing.
- Next, add to juicer or blender. If you’re using a blender, pour over 1 cup of water.
- Serve the resulting juice right away to get the benefits while they’re still fresh.
Broccoli is packed with all kinds of vitamins and nutrients, some of which, such as potassium, fiber, and vitamin C, are excellent agents in the fight against excess cholesterol. Furthermore, what sets broccoli apart from other home remedies for cholesterol is its course of action. Its properties merge with those of bile juices in order to eject the bad fats out of your blood.
- Prepare a quick and easy broccoli recipe by filling a linen sheet-covered tray with some fresh or frozen broccoli, sliced into florets.
- Sprinkle on a little bit of olive oil, salt, and grated cheese of your choice.
- Pop in the oven, preheated to 425°F, and leave the broccoli to roast for 20-25 minutes.
12. Licorice Root
Licorice root is also one of the many home remedies for cholesterol that you may try out for help with this condition. Although it has many benefits, you should also be wary when using it since there are certain counter indications. For example, people suffering from heart problems, high blood pressure, or nerve problems, should avoid it at all costs.
- Pour 150 ml of milk or water in a pan and then bring to heat.
- Let it boil for a few seconds and then add 1 teaspoon of licorice root.
- Reduce the heat and let it all simmer and brew for 5 minutes.
- Finally, filter this solution in a cup and enjoy while the tea is still warm.
Spinach itself doesn’t necessarily lower cholesterol levels, but it helps prevent further damage to your body, particularly arteries. It contains lutein, a compound that doesn’t let bad fat attach to artery walls or clog blood vessels.
- You can reap the benefits of spinach really easily, as long as you have some baby spinach nearby.
- Microwave a few leaves for 3 minutes and then top with a little bit of parmesan.
- Enjoy this healthy and effective snack with whole wheat bread as many times a week as possible.
14. Olive Oil
Olive oil is the kind of beneficial fat that your body needs. Aside from being incredibly good for your heart, it’s also a fierce fighter against cholesterol, helping you drastically bring down the excessive levels. Olive oil is definitely one of the most reliable home remedies for cholesterol around.
- You can utilize olive oil in a number of ways: consume 2 spoons of olive oil on a daily basis, use it as a bread dip, use it as a salad dressing, or to marinate chicken or fish.
- We recommend pouring some olive oil in a pan, enough to cover the bottom, and toss in some vegetables of your choice. For example: broccoli, carrots, or spinach.
- Sauté the veggies for a few minutes on each side and then serve plain or with some meat of your choice on the side.
High levels of cholesterol are something you really shouldn’t be messing with. Not only can this condition cause many heart related issues, but it may put you in actual mortal danger. As such, it’s crucial to constantly check your cholesterol levels and undergo appropriate medication as needed. On the side, utilize the home remedies for cholesterol we’ve just recommended for improved effects.