Dark spots on the skin are a problem for most people, and they can be frustrating, especially when makeup doesn’t do anything to hide them. A face covered in black spots can be a source of low self-esteem for some people. That these spots are usually caused by the accumulation of dark pigments under the skin and can emerge at any age. The over secretion of melanin that results in the excess build up may be due to hormonal changes. Acne scars and old age are other reasons your skin may have blemishes. Home remedies for dark spots provide simple and affordable means of ridding the skin of patches.
With our home remedies for dark spots, you will have a glowing skin in no time!
After churning out butter from milk, the sour liquid that remains is buttermilk, and it contains a substance called alpha hydroxyl acid that helps in removing black spots from the skin. The lactic acid is what makes buttermilk one of the effective dark spots home remedies. It works by eliminating dead cells, which lightens the skin.
- Pour raw buttermilk into a bowl.
- Dip a cotton ball in it.
- Dab the cotton on the blemishes.
- Leave it for 20 minutes then rinse your face.
- Adding 2 teaspoons of tomato juice to 4 teaspoons of buttermilk improves the bleaching properties of the treatment.
- After mixing the two properly, apply the mixture on the face.
- Leave for half an hour then wash.
- Use the remedy daily until the dark patches disappear.
Sandalwood is a useful component in face lightening, hence its use as a dark spots home remedy. It contains nutrients, which provide nourishment and improvement of the health of the skin. Sandalwood is particularly recommended for oily skin and is excellent at preventing acne. It relieves itching and removes blemishes. Sandalwood also possesses anti-aging qualities and gets rid of inflammation on the skin.
- Mix a tablespoon of sandalwood powder, a tablespoon of glycerin and 2 tablespoons of milk to make a paste.
- Apply the paste on your face.
- Wait for 30 minutes then wash it off.
The curcumin in turmeric is credited with numerous healing properties among them anti-inflammatory and antibacterial. These two traits make the popular kitchen spice an effective way to get rid of dark spots because it regulates the production of melanin. Turmeric will keep age and sun spots at bay. It is also great for repairing the damage caused to the skin, which minimizes pigmentation.
- Make a paste using 2 teaspoons of turmeric powder, lemon juice, and milk.
- Apply the paste on the affected parts of the skin.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
4. Aloe Vera
For ages, aloe vera has been a cure for many skin diseases, and it is a core component in many beauty products. The nourishing properties of aloe vera make it one of the handiest dark spots home remedies. It is great for treating sunburn, which is another cause of dark pigmentation on the skin. Aloe vera also moisturizes, giving your skin the protection it needs against the accumulation of melanin. It is also widely used as a home remedy for rashes.
- Slice the outer layer of a fresh aloe vera leaf.
- Squeeze the gel into your palm and apply it on the patches.
- Give it 20 minutes to dry.
- Clean your face with lukewarm water.
- Repeat daily.
Chickpeas are viable options for home remedies for dark spots because they contain manganese, which rejuvenates skin cells. The chickpeas will prevent the skin from wrinkles by attacking free radicals. There is also the presence of molybdenum that gives chickpeas their detoxification powers. Your skin also gets a handful of nutrients and vitamins, which minimizes the risk of sun damage.
- Boil ½ of chickpeas in water until they soften.
- After cooling down, blend the chickpeas to form a paste.
- Apply the paste and wait 30 minutes.
- Wash off with lukewarm water.
6. Lemon Juice
One of the most common home remedies for dark spots is lemon juice because it has potent skin lightening properties. Its acidity allows it to bleach the skin, thereby removing discoloration. Being a citrus fruit, lemon is an antiseptic, meaning it will clean any germs off the skin and minimize the chances of damage. By mixing lemon with sugar, you can get a very powerful natural treatment that eliminates dead skin cells.
- Squeeze a lemon into a bowl.
- Add a teaspoon of sugar and blend thoroughly.
- Rub the mixture on your face in circular motions for two minutes.
- Wash off with lukewarm water and dry the face.
- Use the natural treatment once every week until the skin lightens.
7. Almond Oil
Almonds are excellent for skin health because they contain unsaturated fatty, lanoleic acids, and vitamins. It is why the oil extract from almonds makes one of the top home remedies for dark spots. By providing the skin with essential nutrients, it reduces any damage present. Mix it with milk, honey or lemon juice to get a healthy way to remove dark pigmentation on the skin.
- Use milk powder to blend almond oil and lemon juice for a thick paste.
- Apply the mixture on the dark spots.
- Wait for half an hour.
- Wash your face thoroughly.
- Repeat twice every week until the skin clears up.
This vegetable allows you to make one of the simplest home remedies for dark spots. Potato contains starch and sugar, which are both essential to the skin because they help in clearing blemishes. Sugar acts as an exfoliating agent. There is also Vitamin B6, potassium, and zinc present in potatoes, which are useful in facilitating collagen production.
- Thinly slice a potato.
- Wet the slices with a little bit of water.
- Place the slices on the affected area.
- Wait for 15 minutes and then was your face.
- Or boil potato slices in water.
- Remove from the flame and let the slices soak for 30 minutes.
- Remove the potato slices then add lemon juice to the potato water.
- Refrigerate this solution for an hour.
- Use cotton to dab the cold mixture on the dark spots.
- Wait 20 minutes then wash your face.
Salicylic acid is what makes strawberries useful as home remedies for dark spots. This compound is popular in many skin care products because it works wonders in removing dead skin cells. Strawberries will also moisturize your skin, keeping it healthy for a long time. The alpha hydroxy acids in strawberries allow the fruits to lighten the skin by removing its topmost layer.
- Blend 5 strawberries with very little water to form a paste.
- Add a tablespoon of honey to make a face pack.
- Apply the paste on your face and let it sit for 40 minutes.
- Rinse it off with warm water.
- Use the treatment every other day.
10. Papaya Paste
Papaya is excellent at evening out the skin tone, which is why it is one of the most reliable home remedies for dark spots. The enzyme papain, present in the fruit, is every good at exfoliating the skin. It will rid your face of contaminants that may be causing the dark pigmentation. Papaya also prevents the production of tyrosinase, an enzyme that encourages overproduction of melanin in the skin.
- Blend a papaya into a thick paste.
- Add lemon juice and apply to the face.
- Give it 20 minutes before rinsing it off with clean water.
- You can also mix papaya with oatmeal and coconut oil to make an effective face mask.
11. Orange Peel
Orange peel contains a lot more Vitamin C than the pulp, hence its use as one of the best home remedies for dark spots. Vitamin C is known for rejuvenating the skin cells and fighting free radicals that are responsible for aging. Orange peels will lighten your skin by eliminating impurities in the dermis and detoxifying this vital organ. The treatment will leave your skin feeling flawless and nourished.
- Leave orange peels in the sun until they are completely dried.
- Grind the peel into a powder.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of the powder with 2 tablespoons of yogurt.
- Apply the paste on the affected part of the skin and leave it for 25 minutes.
- Wash off with water.
Because of its texture, oatmeal makes the perfect exfoliating agent when dealing with black patches on the skin. It has anti-inflammatory qualities, which allows it to soothe irritated skin, especially when treating acne. Oatmeal is suitable for both dry and oily skin types as it helps balance the oil content in the dermis. Adding honey to oatmeal will moisturize the skin.
- Grind 3 tablespoons of oatmeal into a fine powder.
- Mix the oatmeal with honey and milk in a bowl.
- Apply the face pack and leave it to dry.
- Clean the face thoroughly.
- Use the treatment three times every week.
Dark spots on the skin can take many shades and may be the results of different triggers. Too much sun exposure, for instance, can leave your face and arms with blacks blemishes. Pimples that infect with bacteria after they pop are other culprits to worry about. The sensitivity of the skin sometimes makes it difficult to find the right treatment to eliminate dark pigmentation. Home remedies for dark spots can help you lighten your face and other body parts without high costs or risks. If your chosen natural treatment doesn’t provide satisfactory results, consult a dermatologist for professional advice.