Dark underarms are an unpleasant aesthetic condition in which the skin on your underarms gets darker due to prolonged exposure predominantly to the elements. Most of the time, it’s not a medical affliction and it should not cause you any concerns. Although, there are instances in which it’s the result of certain skin diseases. Regardless of what the cause really is, there are several home remedies for dark underarms which you can use to get rid of this issue as quickly as possible. It’s important, however, to not brush aside the possible causes of this affliction and to seek out a doctor that could tell you whether you should undergo any special treatments.
1. Lemon Juice
Whenever you have issues that involve a darkening of your skin, lemon juice is the first remedy you should consider. It’s a famous natural treatment for bleaching which has strong whitening abilities.
- Take a fresh lemon and cut it in two.
- Grab one of the halves and gently start rubbing it into your skin in circular motions.
- Keep doing this for a few minutes and then rinse off with some lukewarm water.
- Repeat the treatment daily until you feel satisfied with the results.
Discolored or darkened skin stands no chance against cucumbers, some of the best home remedies for dark underarms and other similar issues. It has whitening properties, as well as moisturizing characteristics that won’t dry out your skin like lemon.
- Grate 1 small cucumber and then mix it in with 2-3 tablespoons of yogurt.
- Blend everything thoroughly and then apply to your skin.
- Keep this mixture on for 5 minutes and then clean off using warm water.
- Do this once every 3-4 days in order to achieve the results you’re looking for.
Potatoes have mild acidic properties, which are the agents that contribute to skin whitening. However, due to the mild nature of these acids, they will bleach the skin without causing damage to it like other alternatives.
- Take 1 small potato and then, without peeling it, grate it whole.
- Next, squeeze the grated potato bits to extract all the juice from them.
- Using a clean cloth or a cotton pad, apply the potato juice to the affected patches of skin and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Lastly, rinse with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this process 1-2 times daily until you are satisfied with the results.
4. Baking Soda
One of the possible causes for dark underarms is the gathering of dead skin cells. Baking soda is an excellent natural exfoliator, which makes it one of the most potent home remedies for dark underarms as well.
- Stir 1/4 tablespoon of hydrogen carbonate (baking soda) in a glass of water.
- Use a soft flannel piece to apply this mixture on the affected patches of skin and permit it to dry.
- Another option is to combine a quarter or one cup of hydrogen carbonate in your water and soak in it.
- Repeat this as often as you need to in order to get the symptoms to fade away.
5. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is a nourishing agent that will help lighten your skin to shed off these layers of discolored skin in a natural and safe way. It’s a reliable bleaching treatment which will also ensure the proper moisturizing of the skin so that it won’t dry out.
- All you need is a little bit of coconut oil to warm up.
- Rub it gently between your palms and then apply to your skin.
- Massage in circular motions for around 4-5 minutes.
- Cover with a bandage in order to keep the oil on the skin and then leave it on overnight.
- Rinse off in the morning.
- Do this every day before going to bed.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar
One of the biggest benefits of apple cider vinegar is its incredible antiseptic prowess. You can safely use it for your case of dark underarms if you suspect that it might be the result of improper hygiene or the actions of bacteria.
- Mix 1 part apple cider vinegar with 1 part water. It’s important to do this especially if you have sensitive skin.
- Take a cotton ball and dip it into the resulting solution.
- Then, gently pat against skin and leave it on overnight.
- In the morning, wash off with cool water.
- Repeat this every night before heading off to bed.
7. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera has great skin whitening properties granted by its cooling and antiseptic prowess. It can help you gradually get rid of the strange coloring while also targeting potential irritations in case it’s the result of frequent shaving or a razor burn.
- Take an aloe vera leaf and then slice it in two, extracting the gel.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of the aloe vera gel with 1 teaspoon of honey, 1 teaspoon of milk, and a pinch of turmeric powder.
- Spread this mixture over your skin evenly and then let it act for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry to complete the procedure.
- Repeat twice a week to get the results you want.
8. Olive Oil
Use olive oil in order to help you with the dark patches of skin on your underarms in a quick and efficient manner. It’s one of the best home remedies for dark underarms that will also moisturize your skin.
- Apply a few drops of olive oil to your fingertips and then gently massage it into your skin in circular motions for 2-3 minutes.
- Next, dip a towel in some warm water, squeeze out the excess water, and then place it over your skin for 30-40 seconds.
- Soak the towel again and then, finally, gently rub off the remaining oil from your skin.
- Follow this procedure every night before going to bed.
Turmeric is good for plenty of things, especially for inflammations. So if your underarms are a result of some sort of irritation, it’s an especially efficient treatment.
- Create a turmeric paste by combining 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder with just enough water for it to become a spreadable consistency.
- Afterwards, slather this mixture to your skin and let it sit for around 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the paste by using lots of cool water.
- Repeat this process several times throughout the week for as long as you need until the symptoms fade away.
Rosewater is not just one of the best home remedies for dark underarms, but it’s a famous beauty solution that many people use for the health and appearance of their skin. It has mild lightening properties that can help you with this issue.
- In a container, mix some lemon juice and rosewater in equal proportions.
- Dip in a cotton ball and then apply all over the sensitive area.
- Let the solution act for 30 minutes and then rinse off with cool water.
- Repeat regularly (preferably on a daily basis) for the next 3-4 weeks for solid results.
11. Almond and Tea Tree Oil
Almonds are anti-inflammatory, which makes them excellent home remedies for dark underarms if you suffer from the aftermaths of a razor burn or frequent shaving. Moreover, it has mild lightening and moisturizing properties.
- Add 10 parts almond oil and 1 part tea tree oil to a container, stirring well to incorporate the liquids together.
- Next, apply this solution directly to your underarms and leave it to act and sink into the skin for 15 minutes.
- Lastly, rinse using warm water and then carefully pat dry with a clean towel.
- Repeat this process several times a week until you’re noticing a satisfying improvement.
12. Chickpea Flour
Chickpea flour is a treatment for any people that are in need of efficient home remedies for dark underarms. It’s great for exfoliating the skin and it will also help you bleach out the skin slowly and surely.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric with 4 tablespoons of chickpea flour
- Add a little bit of milk or water in, just enough to mix everything into a paste.
- Next, apply this mixture to your skin and leave it on for 15-20 minutes.
- Lastly, rinse with warm water and pat dry.
- Repeat this treatment 1-2 times a week to start seeing the results.
13. Tomato Juice
Tomatoes have properties that will kill bacteria possibly causing infections or episodes of skin darkening. Moreover, it has cleansing properties that will unclog your pores. You can use it by preparing a treatment such as the one below and use it to get rid of these issues effectively.
- Take a fresh tomato and then extract the juice using either a juicer or a manual squeezer.
- Dip a cotton pad into the tomato juice and then dab against the darkened skin patches.
- Wait for the actions of the tomato juice to work for 20 minutes and rinse off with water.
- Repeat the treatment every day until you achieve the results you are looking for.
Dead skin cells and bacteria are some of the main reasons for skin darkening, so yogurt makes a fantastic solution to this issue. This is because it contains probiotics, compounds that fight bacteria and will help you shed off the dead skin cells causing you all this trouble.
- Grab some organic and fresh yogurt and then slather directly to the skin, securing in place with a plastic wrap.
- Let the yogurt sit for around 5 minutes, giving it enough time to work its magic on the dark patches of skin.
- Lastly, rinse off with lots of water and then pat dry.
- Repeat this once every day and the effects are going to become noticeable in no time.
Lastly, honey is one of the most popular natural antiseptics, as well as a renowned agent with moisturizing properties. You can use it in combination with plenty of other ingredients to create some potent home remedies for dark underarms.
- Create a blend from 3 tablespoons of honey and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Mix everything together well and then apply to your skin.
- Keep this paste on overnight and then rinse off in the morning.
- Repeat this treatment daily before going to bed if you don’t notice satisfying results after the first use.
Dark underarms are terrible things to deal with, especially when the warm season is approaching and all you want is to be able to wear a crop top outside. Luckily, in a few days’ or weeks’ worth, you’ll be able to see this issue fade as you religiously use the home remedies for dark underarms you’ve just seen.