Depression is a serious mental health condition that’s common, understandable, and treatable. Around 1 in 30 people suffer from this disease at any given time. Depression is characterized by an imbalance in the brain’s neurotransmitters—mainly serotonin, but also dopamine, norepinephrine, and others. Not everyone has access to—or the desire to use—conventional depression treatments like prescription medications and psychotherapy. You can try a depression home remedy instead. Home remedies for depression can be very effective for treating mild-to-moderate depression, especially if you combine more than one.
Help relieve the symptoms of mild depression with accessible home remedies for depression.
1. Turmeric Tea
Turmeric is a root spice famous for its use in Indian cuisine. It has also been used in traditional medicine for thousands of years. Modern medical science supports the use of turmeric for depression. In fact, one study found that taking turmeric is as effective as the prescription drug fluoxetine when it comes to treating depression.
Drinking this homemade turmeric tea regularly is one of the most powerful home remedies for depression. It will also have beneficial antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects.
- Heat one cup of water until almost boiling.
- Whisk in one tablespoon of turmeric powder.
- Add a pinch of black pepper, as the compounds in black pepper help your body absorb curcumin.
- Add a splash of cream, milk, or non-dairy milk, as curcumin is fat-soluble.
- Serve and enjoy 3-5 times a day.
2. Cold Water
The vagus nerve is a nerve in the center of the head and neck. Research has found that this nerve is underactive in people with depression. Severe depression can be treated by stimulating the vagus nerve with electricity, but you can actually stimulate it yourself at home by splashing cold water on your face. This works because submerging the face in cold water triggers the mammalian diving reflex, which activates the vagus nerve, alleviating symptoms of depression.
- Let the coldest water possible run from your faucet.
- Cup your hands to gather cold water.
- Slash the cold water all over your face for a couple minutes.
- Dry your face off.
- Repeat at least twice a day, as well as whenever you feel like you need a pick-me-up.
3. Fresh Fruits
We all know that delicious fresh fruits are all-around great for you. But, interestingly, they can also form an integral part of an anti-depression lifestyle regimen. Fresh fruits of practically any type are a great source of folate, a B-vitamin. Not getting enough folate can cause depression, so eating more fruit could be the answer if you don’t eat it that often.
Why eat folate-rich fruit instead of taking a folate supplement? Because your body can absorb and use the nutrients from real food much more easily. Try a daily fruit smoothie as a folate-rich home remedy for depression.
- Combine three to four servings of fresh or frozen fruit in a blender.
- Blend until liquefied.
- To thin it out, you can add a liquid such as milk or green tea, if desired.
- Drink this remedy with breakfast every morning.
4. Saffron Tea
Saffron consists of tiny stamens painstakingly hand-harvested from the crocus flower. Because producing saffron requires such meticulous and delicate effort, it is famous for being the world’s most expensive spice.
It finds a home in gourmet foods, but there is also a lot of evidence that saffron relieves depression. Don’t worry: Saffron may be expensive in quantities used for food, but as a home remedy for depression, you only need a tiny bit each day.
- Heat half a cup of water until almost boiling, but not quite.
- Add one small pinch of saffron.
- Stir to ensure that the saffron stamens are submerged in water.
- Steep for five minutes.
- Drink this tea one to three times daily.
Most cases of depression are characterized by a lack of the neurotransmitter serotonin. This chemical is known to be responsible for feelings of happiness and well-being. Caring physical touch is known to release more serotonin into the brain, so massage can relieve depression if practiced regularly.
- Massage your body, focusing on the face, neck, chest, shoulders, and arms. Continue for at least fifteen minutes and allow yourself to relax.
- Use lotion or massage oil, if you wish.
- You can do it yourself or have a loved one help you.
- Repeat daily, ideally after your daily bath or shower.
Nutrition is an underrated component of depression treatment plans. Some of the most nutritious vegetables include spinach and similar greens like turnip greens and mustard greens. These dark leafy vegetables are high in folate as well as many other nutrients, including iron.
Use spinach or other similar veggies in your home remedies for depression to boost serotonin and energy levels. If you drink this spinach smoothie every day in conjunction with other effective home remedies for depression, you may begin to feel your spirits lift in just a few weeks.
- Put one to two cups of the fruit of your choice and two cups of fresh spinach in a blender.
- Blend until liquefied.
- Drink this remedy at least once a day.
7. Spearmint Tea
Strongly-brewed mint tea could help you ward off the blues. The plant contains several B-vitamins that are important for brain health and energy levels. Consuming three cups of this spearmint tea remedy, one with each meal, can give you up to a 36% DV boost of folate, an 18% DV boost of riboflavin, and an extra 18% DV of vitamin B6.
- Heat one cup of water until it is almost boiling.
- Stir in two tablespoons of dried spearmint.
- Let steep for ten minutes.
- Drink this remedy as often as desired, 1-5 times daily.
Not getting enough sunshine can exacerbate or even cause depression. Exposing your eyes to bright light increases your serotonin levels, which boosts your mood.
Plus, even just a little sunlight exposure to the skin is enough to help your body produce vitamin D, a nutrient that is crucial in battling depression. One of the most potent home remedies for depression is to regularly and purposefully spend time in the sun.
- Go outdoors without sunglasses, preferably in the morning soon after waking up.
- Make sure you have applied sunscreen if you aren’t sitting in the shade.
- Stay outside for at least thirty minutes to an hour. You may walk, read, garden, or do anything else to pass the time.
- Repeat at least every day, or twice a day for maximum results.
9. Wheat Bran
Many people do not get enough magnesium in their diets. This is a shame since not getting enough magnesium can cause depression.
Wheat and rice bran are a great remedy for depression that is made worse by magnesium deficiency. One-quarter cup of rice bran offers a 58% DV boost in magnesium, while one-quarter cup of wheat bran will provide 89%. Use bran as medicine by adding it to a smoothie remedy.
- Put 1/4 cup wheat or rice bran, 3 servings of fruit and milk to taste in a blender.
- Blend until smooth and liquid.
- Drink this remedy every morning for breakfast.
10. Paprika Tea
Paprika is actually a very nutritious spice. Drinking one serving of this paprika tea remedy with each meal every day will provide a 46% DV boost of vitamin B6, a 21% DV boost of riboflavin, a 15% DV boost of niacin, a 9% DV boost of thiamin, and an additional 3% DV of pantothenic acid.
All of these B-vitamins are easily absorbed by your body since they’re in their natural food form, and they will help your brain produce more serotonin. Drinking this remedy regularly can relieve depression symptoms and boost your energy.
- Heat one cup of water until nearly boiling, but not quite.
- Stir in one tablespoon of paprika.
- Steep for ten minutes.
- Stir in heavy cream to taste.
- Drink three times daily. Stir continuously while you drink to ensure you are swallowing the spice granules.
Stress contributes to depression. Not only can it make existing depression worse, but being under a lot of stress can predict whether you’ll develop depression in the future. You can fight stress using aromatherapy.
Not only does smelling something delicious make you feel good, but science shows that some aromatherapy plants actually contain beneficial compounds that our bodies can use when we ingest those compounds by inhaling them. Lavender is one of the best aromatherapy scents for reducing stress, as it is very relaxing and soothing. As a result, it is one of the easiest home remedies for depression and also anxiety.
- Apply lavender oil to the inside of your wrist.
- Inhale the aromas throughout the day, especially when you feel stress.
- Reapply the oil when the scent fades.
- Repeat this remedy daily to reduce chronic stress levels.
Strangely, consuming cashews can be counted among the various home remedies for depression. Zinc is yet another nutrient that plays a role in mental health. Since our bodies can’t store zinc, it’s important to consume enough of it on a daily basis. If we don’t, it can reduce our resilience to stress and exacerbate depression.
A good nutrition remedy for a zinc deficiency is cashews (or, alternatively, sunflower seeds). The following remedy will give you a 22% DV zinc bonus. It also contains protein to help keep you full. If your depression is caused or made worse by not getting enough zinc, try out this remedy for a couple of months.
- Place 2 ounces of cashews or sunflower seeds in a food processor.
- Pulverize until smooth.
- Put the powdered cashews or sunflower seeds in a blender with two servings of fruit and milk to taste.
- Blend until smooth.
- Drink this nutritional remedy every day for breakfast.
If you have severe depression, you should see a professional. If using home remedies regularly does not improve your depressive symptoms after two months, you should talk to your doctor. These home remedies for depression are suitable for those with mild-to-moderate cases of the disease. If you have a milder case of depression, these remedies could be just the thing you need. Have you ever had success with depression home remedies? Tell us your story in the comments!