Tooth extraction is sometimes necessary to cure a dental condition. Dry socket or alveolar osteitis is one of the after effects of tooth extraction that you may have to deal with. After removing an adult tooth, a blood clot usually forms at the site of the extraction to protect the nerve endings. Dry socket is the failure of the blood clot to develop. It is very painful because the underlying bone and nerves are exposed to numerous hazards, including bacteria, contamination, and infections. That is why we know that our home remedies for dry socket can help you.
These home remedies for dry socket will help relieve the pain
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar contains anti-bacterial traits, hence its effectiveness as a dry socket home remedy. It helps kill any bacteria and germs that build up at the tooth extraction site. It also has anti-inflammatory properties, which means it will relieve the swelling in the socket, and that makes it easier to eat. The acetic acid present in apple cider vinegar maintains a balanced pH in that part of the mouth, consequently getting rid of any infections.
- Mix equal volumes of water and apple cider vinegar.
- Stir properly.
- Wash your mouth with the solution or dip a cotton ball in the solution.
- Put the cotton ball it in the socket for 10 minutes.
- use this remedy daily until the dry socket heals.
- USDA Organic Turmeric Powder
- Batch Tested and Verified Gluten Free
- High purity, intense aroma, and great taste
- 2.5% Curcumin Content. Packed in Resealable Bag
- All natural, no artificial flavors or preservatives, Non-GMO & More
Turmeric is one of the top home remedies for dry socket because it facilitates speedy healing. Its analgesic properties help minimize the pain. Turmeric brings down the inflammation of the jaw caused by a dry socket, it also has antibacterial properties, and that allows you to eliminate germs that may be aggravating the condition. You can use the spice when it’s fresh or in powder form, also it works great in cases of periodontitis.
- Place ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder in a container.
- Add enough water to make a paste.
- Get a cotton swab/gauze and dip into the paste.
- Place the swab in the socket.
- Leave it for 15 minutes.
- Remove and carefully rinse your mouth.
3. Clove Oil
- 100% pure and natural
- Aromatherapeutic properties
- For overall health for digestive, dental and skin needs
- Carefully dilute with a carrier oil such as jojoba, grapeseed, olive, or almond oil prior to use
The presence of eugenol in clove oil is what makes it one of the most suitable natural remedies for dry socket. Its anesthetic and analgesic properties help in relieving the pain that comes with dry socket. Clove oil will prevent the pain from spreading to the rest of the face, which usually happens with dry socket. The plant is a natural antiseptic, making it useful in getting rid of the infections that have developed in the tooth socket.
- Clean the socket by rinsing with a saline solution or lukewarm water.
- Soak a cotton ball or gauze in clove oil.
- Put the cotton ball in the socket for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove it and rinse your mouth.
- Reapply the clove oil 2-3 times daily.
Another one of the dry socket home remedies is made possible by the anti-inflammatory properties of garlic. Swelling in the tooth socket increases the level of pain and can make it hard to use that side of the mouth. Garlic reduces inflammation and is great at getting rid of the pain. The natural healing herb also minimizes the risk of contracting infections and bacteria at the extraction site. Garlic is also a useful home remedy for sensitive teeth.
- A great tasting healthy. Organic, Heirloom, Non-GMO
- Easy to Grow and Harvest from Bulb
- Great Producer--Lots of Bulbs per plant
- Better Than Anything in the Store
- Buy only Country Creek Brand by Country Creek--Not Chinese Counterfeits (be careful)
- Put a fresh garlic clove in the mouth.
- Crush the garlic with your teeth and let the juices flow in every part of the mouth.
- Wait 5 minutes then spit out the garlic.
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly to avoid bad breath.
- Repeat 2-3 times daily for several days until the condition gets better.
5. Tea Tree Oil
- The most UNIQUE and AMAZING SMELLING Tea Tree on the market, in our opinion. If you are not ABSOLUTELY amazed, receive a full refund from the manufacturer, Healing Solutions, no questions asked!
- SUPERIOR EXPERIENCE: If you are just trying our Tea Tree for the first time and you do not switch to it permanently as your new favorite oil the manufacturer, Healing Solutions, will refund your money, guaranteed.
- PURE + RIGOROUS QUALITY TESTING & CONTROLS: Distillation facility is GMP, ISO 9001 and Kosher certified, FDA Registered. Make sure ALL oils you buy have these qualifications * CHECK OUT OUR REVIEWS!! * In our opinion our oil is superior to organic and THE MOST RARE, BEST SMELLING, AND MOST THERAPEUTICALLY EFFECTIVE OF ALL Tea Tree (Melaleuca alternifolia)
- Healing Solutions is SUPERIOR because it offers over 170 different oils for blending/pairing
Tea tree oil makes a reliable dry socket home remedy because it is a potent antiseptic. The oil will clean the infected area, leaving it free from bacteria, germs, and other microorganisms. It will reduce the chances of a tooth socket contracting infections. Because of the hygienic environment provided by tea tree oil, the healing of the extraction site is accelerated.
- Moisten a cotton ball with water.
- Drip 3 drops of tea tree oil on the cotton.
- Place the swab in the infected region for 5 minutes.
- Remove and rinse your mouth.
- Continue with the treatment 2-3 times daily until the condition heals.
- Nature Nate's 100% Pure Raw & Unfiltered Honey in a 32-oz. dispenser is a perfect recipe sweetener and sugar substitute; certified Gluten Free, OU Kosher certified
- Just as nature intended, Nature Nate's strained honey is gently warmed to retain existing pollen composition, acting as a source of Vitamin C, antioxidants, protein, iron and fiber
- Spread, pour, slather, douse, bake, decorate or add to recipes, acai bowls, smoothies, baked goods, glazes, herbal teas, morning beverages and more for a balanced diet
- Perfect and wonderful pairing to roasted nuts, grilled fruits, tea, coffee, fish marinade, butter, root vegetables or drizzled on cheese. Brush honey on raw foods for delectable caramelized goodness
- Known for high quality products, Nature Nate's brings honey from the farm to the family table, without compromising its natural vitamins and enzymes and keeping it as close to the hive as possible
Honey is a potent dry socket treatment, as it has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, and also fights against further infection. After using honey following our instructions below you will notice a decrease in the level of inflammation and swelling, as well as the soothing of pain, and the formation of granulation tissue over the dry socket.
- Cleanse the tooth’s socket with water or saline solution.
- Take a cotton ball and dip it into honey.
- Insert the cotton ball into the opening of the tooth’s socket.
- Remove it and replace it every 24 hours.
- Repeat this until the dry socket pain is gone.
7. Peppermint Oil
- Majestic Pure Peppermint Essential Oil - Pure and Natural Peppermint Oil; non-toxic, no additives, unfiltered and undiluted with no fillers; therapeutic grade; packaged in the USA.
- Peppermint offers multiple household uses; it provides a wonderful cooling sensation; Our Oil is non-toxic and great for use around Homes and gardens.
- SAFETY WARNING: For external use only. Other than Aromatherapy, Dilute with a carrier oil. Keep out of the reach of pets. Avoid contact with eyes, keep out of the reach of children. If pregnant, consult with your health care provider before use.
- Delivered with a Premium Quality Glass Dropper for ease-of-use
Peppermint is another herbal option for a dry socket that is very effective. The plant contains menthol, which acts as a mild anesthetic, so it has the ability to relieve pain. Its antiseptic quality is another reason peppermint is used in oral care products. It will help fight off infection in the tooth socket. Peppermint has a fresh aroma that will mask the bad breath that results from the condition. Moreover, if you suffer from an abscess tooth peppermint works as a great remedy for getting rid of the swelling and infection.
- Soak a cotton ball in peppermint oil.
- Place the cotton in the tooth socket for 10 minutes.
- Rinse your mouth.
- Apply the treatment 2-3 times each day for 3 days or until the condition gets better.
8. Aloe Vera
When thinking about home remedies for dry socket, one herb you can’t ignore is Aloe Vera. The tropical herb is famous for its medicinal uses because it contains powerful antibacterial properties. It will kill bacteria and get rid of infections in a tooth extraction site. Being a natural antiseptic, Aloe Vera helps with wound healing and its anti-inflammatory traits will reduce swelling in the affected region. That is why Aloe Vera is also a great remedy for receding gums.
- Super easy-to-grow Aloe Vera succulent houseplant with bold, green-white speckling on thick, toothed leaves
- Place in a bright, warm, sunny spot for best results; requires watering once every couple of weeks
- Single live Aloe Vera plant comes in 4-inch grower's pot - ready for you to place in your own containers
- Great addition to modern and contemporary decor; perfect for desks, tabletops, credenza cabinets, and more
- Intended as an indoor houseplant, Aloe Vera can also be grown outdoors in arid, frost-free climates
- Cut an Aloe Vera leaf.
- Collect the gel with a spoon.
- Dip a cotton swab into the gel.
- Apply directly to the tooth socket.
- Repeat several times a day for 2-3 days until the infection goes away.
- Premium Shade Dried FRESH whole neem leaves, use for teas, bathing, gardening, pets and more! 5 ounce bag of dried whole neem leaves
- Perfect for making Neem Leaf Tea, to use in neem tinctures, neem extract, neem tub tea and more.
- Free Gift and 10% OFF COUPON ON NEXT PURCHASE! STOCK UP NOW! BEST PRICE FOR FAMILY and GROUPS!
- Helps support/ normalize overactive immune system ~ Great for Allergies!
- Slow, Shade Dried ~ WHOLE Neem Leaf ~ Organic ~ Wild Harvested
The various healing properties of neem give us one of the best home remedies for dry socket. For one, it is an antifungal and antibacterial, that provides tooth socket with protection against harmful bacteria and microbes. Applying a neem remedy to an infected tooth extraction site cleans out any debris lodged in that area. You also reduce the chances of further infections, plus, neem is excellent in reducing swelling as well.
- Wash a few fresh neem leaves.
- Put them in a mortar and crush properly until you get a paste.
- Take a little paste and place it in the infected region for a few minutes.
- Rinse your mouth.
- Do this 2-3 times daily until the pain subsides.
- 1 Pound Bulk Bag
- Whole flowers; Non-irradiated; Botanical name: Matricaria recutita
- Certified Organic, Kosher Certified
- Frontier is a member owned Co-op, responsible to people and planet
Chamomile is a highly soothing herb, hence its use as one of the traditional home remedies for dry socket. Drinking chamomile tea will calm the nerves in the extraction site, effectively alleviating pain. It also works wonders in minimizing swelling of the area around the infected region. Its tranquilizing effects will help you sleep at night as the herb numbs the pain. Chamomile is perfect for getting rid of bad breath as well.
- Boil a cup of water.
- Add a handful of dried chamomile.
- Cover the solution and give it 10 minutes to steep.
- Strain your tea and drink twice daily.
11. Salt, Turmeric, and Mustard Oil
- Botanical Name: Brassica nigra
- Country of origin: Germany
- Extraction Method: Cold Pressed
- Processing Type: Unrefined
One of the most reliable dry socket home remedies is a combination of turmeric, salt and mustard oil, which provides a host of healing properties. Between the antibacterial properties of turmeric and antiseptic qualities of salt, you have an effective way of preventing infections. Moreover, the mustard oil helps soothe the nerves in the tooth socket, which alleviates pain.
- Put a tablespoon of turmeric in a container.
- Add ½ teaspoon of salt and a few drops of mustard oil.
- Blend the compounds thoroughly to form a paste.
- Apply the mixture on the infected dental alveoli and leave for several minutes.
- Rinse your mouth.
12. Valerian Root
Being a natural tranquilizer, Valerian makes one of the top home remedies for dry socket. Valerian root acts as a relaxant that will minimize the pain of infected dental alveoli. It is particularly suitable to be taken before bedtime because it calms the nerves, giving you a decent sleep. The natural herb will facilitate healing of the tooth socket as well.
- Ingredient: Valerian root-100%
- USAGE: Internally: for nervous exhaustion, for regulation of the heart functioning, with insomnia, hysteria, fear, high blood pressure and menstrual dysfunction. In cases of hysteria, the effect of valerian is increased in combination with mistletoe, and in cases of insomnia - with hops.
- Externally, it is recommended in the treatment of eczema and minor injuries.
- USE: 1 cup of tea 2-3 times daily.
- Externally: steamed brew of 100 grams of roots. PREPARATION: 1-2 teaspoons chopped roots soaked in ¼ litre of cold water for 12 hours. Brew: 100 g of roots in 2 litres of boiling water, leave to soak for 2 hours. NOTE: Contraindicated for patients with liver problems. Store in dry and well-ventilated premises.
- Boil a cup of water.
- Add a Valerian root.
- Cover and leave for 10 minutes to steep.
- Remove the roots and drink.
* Valerian root tea works best a few days after tooth extraction.
13. Cold Compress
- Includes 8 Reusable Stainless Steel Chilling Stones and Ice Tongs. Includes plastic storage tray to keep your whiskey stones clean and to organize them during freezing
- Chills without diluting your whiskey, vodka, liqueurs, white wine and more; retains cool temperature
- Food-grade Non corrosive stainless steel is odorless and non porous, so it will not affect your drink's flavor
- Smooth cubes will not scratch your drinkware, easy to wash and clean; they are dishwasher safe and will keep their pristine appearance
- Run cubes under water to be slightly damp and then store them in the freezer for at least 4 hours before use. Dampness will not dilute your drink it will help cubes lower drink temp by a few degrees more
Cold is one of the simplest home remedies for dry socket that you can try out. Low temperatures are very effective in reducing inflammation. Applying an ice pack or cold water helps numb the nerves in the tooth socket, and that provides immediate relief from pain. You can combine this treatment with other home remedies to speed up the healing process, especially when the pain is spreading to the jaw and other parts of the face.
- Put several ice cubes in a clean cloth.
- Place the ice pack directly on the aching part of the face.
- Give it 15 minutes for the numbing effect to register.
- Repeat 2-3 times each day until the pain subsides.
14. Black Tea Bags
- 100 Bags
- Serving Size:
- Gluten Free
- Dairy Free
Black tea bags are some of the other kitchen ingredients that you can use for home remedies for dry socket. The tannic acid present in tea bags causes the contraction of the blood vessels and subsequently, the formation of blood clots. There is also the antibiotic characteristic in tea, which eliminates bacterial infection in the tooth socket, this working as a great remedy for tooth infection as well. A cold tea bag is a good alternative to a cold compress because you can bite down on the tea bag.
- Moisten a tea bag by putting it in hot water and leave it to steep for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the water and squeeze it to get rid of excess moisture.
- Refrigerate the tea bag for 15 minutes.
- Place the tea bag on the infected dental alveoli.
- Bite down on it softly.
- Leave it for 10 minutes.
- Apply once or twice daily.
15. Saline Wash
Another fast and uncomplicated home treatment for your dry socket is salt. Sodium chloride is a natural antiseptic and will get rid of the infection that festers inside the tooth extraction point. A saline solution is also ideal for reducing inflammation, that is why it works great as a home remedy for gum pain as well. Using warm water for your saline mouthwash provides instant relief from the pain. The solution is also effective in removing any debris stuck in the socket.
- Mix ½ a teaspoon of salt in lukewarm water.
- Ensure that the salt dissolves completely.
- Use the solution to rinse your mouth.
- Repeat at least 4 times each day for satisfactory results.
Alveolar osteitis is one of the most recurring complications after tooth extraction. The unbearable pain resulting from the condition can make it hard to concentrate or sleep. Several home remedies for dry socket can help you numb the pain and eliminate any infections. Be very cautious when applying any treatment because touching or picking the infected region can aggravate the condition. Consult a dentist if your chosen natural treatments don’t provide relief. Have you tried any of the remedies we mentioned? Which one worked best for you?