The National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders estimates that 5 in every 6 children get an ear infection by the age of 3. In addition to this, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention generally do not recommend antibiotics for the majority of ear infections. In this situation, home remedies for ear infection appear as some of the best alternatives for potentially harmful medication. The ingredients listed below contain active compounds and healing properties that can help both adults and children recover safely. Read about what they do and how to use them wisely.
Read about home remedies for ear infection for natural relief.
We have spoken of garlic before as one of our go-to home remedies for earache, but did you know that it is powerful enough to help treat ear infections too? So strong in fact, that studies claim it is infinitely more effective and fast than some common antibiotics. One of the reasons is that garlic contains allicin, an active ingredient that provides antibacterial and antimicrobial benefits.
- Crush 3-4 cloves of garlic with a mortar and pestle.
- Puree the cloves and wrap them in a clean cheesecloth.
- Squeeze the cloth until juice seeps out.
- Pour 4-5 drops of these homemade ear drops for pain into the affected ear.
Everyday salt works as an amazing natural antibiotic and disinfectant in home remedies for ear infection. When heated, salt acts as a pain reliever and soothes any potential irritation in the area. This is one of the natural remedies that has been passed down for generations, with positive results time and time again.
- Warm up 1 cup of salt until it’s hot enough to safely place on the skin.
- Pour the salt into a clean sock.
- Tie the end of the sock so the salt won’t spill.
- Hold the sock with salt against the affected ear for 10 minutes.
- Repeat 3-4 times during the day.
3. Olive Oil
Reliable home remedies for ear infection in toddlers are challenging to find. Nevertheless, you can trust olive oil for being a safe natural solution. Olive oil works by gently and safely opening up clogged Eustachian tubes, all while soothing irritation. You can also keep some olive oil around the house for other day-to-day health or aesthetic issues, like constipation or wrinkles, as well as for delicious meals.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil until warm.
- Pour 3-4 drops of the oil into the ear that has been infected.
- Use a cotton swab to carefully remove the softened wax from the ear.
*Do not apply pressure or push the swab too far into the ear.
No matter if you want to learn how to cure an ear infection or how to get rid of a cough, onions can help you more than you would have expected. Onions are rich in quercetin, an important flavonoid that packs onions with anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. Their quercetin content helps them reduce the inflammation and eliminate the bacteria causing the infection.
- Place 1 onion in an oven preheated to 450 degrees.
- Leave it in for 15 minutes.
- Allow it to chill after you take it out.
- Squeeze it until you obtain onion juice.
- Pour 3-4 drops of this juice into the infected ear.
- Repeat 4-5 times a day until the infection subsides.
5. Tea Tree Oil
What makes tea tree oil one of the best home remedies for ear infection is its amazing active constituents: cineole and terpinen. Aside from making it a great natural antiseptic, these compounds allow tea tree oil to kill bacteria and activate its antimicrobial properties.
- Pour 3 drops of tea tree oil in a cup.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and 1 teaspoon colloidal silver.
- Heat the ingredients in the microwave.
- Stir well and apply with the help of a dropper in the affected ear.
- Keep your head on one side for 5 minutes so the solution can be absorbed into the ear.
- Turn on the other side for another 5 minutes so the solution can be drained.
- Repeat the process 2-3 times a day, as needed.
The juice of basil leaves is high in pinene, cineole, limalol, and camphor, just to name a few constituents. This herb also has antibacterial benefits and antioxidants that can cleanse and disinfect the affected ear, all while destroying the bacteria that sparked the infection.
- Crush 3-4 basil leaves with a mortar and pestle.
- Pour the juice into a dropper.
- Put 3-5 drops of the basil leaf juice into the ear that’s undergoing the infection.
- Rub the ear with your palm so the juice can reach the infected area.
- Repeat 3-4 times throughout the day for the results you desire.
7. Hydrogen Peroxide
We all know that hydrogen peroxide is an excellent antiseptic. However, not many know that this solution works not only for disinfecting open wounds, but also infected ears. Like in the case of olive oil, hydrogen peroxide aids in eliminating the excess wax that is frequently connected to ear infections. Please use only 3% hydrogen peroxide or less for treating ear infections.
- Add 2 tablespoons each of water and hydrogen peroxide to a cup.
- Drench a cotton ball in the solution.
- Keep your head tilted to the side and squeeze the ball so the solution seeps into the affected ear.
- Turn so the solution can drain out after 10 minutes.
- Repeat 2-3 times for effectiveness.
The gingerol in ginger helps it treat ear infections in adults with anti-inflammatory actions. Moreover, the same compound kills bacteria and fungi, relieving both the pain and infection. We recommend that you use fresh ginger for healing ear infections so you can get the best of its properties.
- Grate a small piece of ginger root until you obtain 1 teaspoon.
- Combine the grated ginger with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Stir thoroughly and wait 10 minutes for the ingredients to combine.
- Apply 3-4 drops in the ear with the help of a dropper.
- Use juice directly extracted by crushing ginger as an alternative.
9. Warm Compress
Not all home remedies for inner ear infection involve ingredients you might not already have in your house. If you don’t want things to get too complicated, a warm compress will always do an exceptional job of relieving the pain associated with ear infections. It helps you relax and unclog the Eustachian tubes so the infection can be naturally eliminated afterward.
- Take a clean towel or cloth and soak it in very warm water.
- Wring it well then put it over your ear for 5 minutes.
- Re-soak it in the warm water and repeat 4-5 times during the day.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar
Thanks to its high levels of acidity, apple cider vinegar is among the most trustworthy home remedies for ear infection. This antifungal and antibacterial acid destroys bacteria causing the infection and inhibits them from spreading deeper in the ear. Furthermore, apple cider vinegar has a soothing anti-inflammatory effect on the ear infection.
- Pour 2-3 drops of apple cider vinegar in your ear.
- Keep your head tilted to the side.
- Repeat 3 times daily for the best impact.
11. Lemon Balm
Lemon balm offers plenty of natural goodness for an infected ear. This ingredient has antiviral and antiseptic properties that aid in the healing process. It is extremely simple to apply and can be easily purchased at a low price.
- Put a finger of lemon balm on the inner part of your ear, as close to the infection as possible.
- Apply balm 2 times a day for the best results.
12. Mint Leaves
Mint leaves contain menthol, a strong substance that gives these ingredients natural antibacterial properties. The juice from mint leaves also reduces inflammation and even gently anesthetizes the area, making it another one of the home remedies for ear infection you can count on for relief.
- Extract juice from 3-4 mint leaves.
- Pour it into a dropper.
- Put 2-3 drops inside the ear.
- Add 1-2 drops around the ear’s opening for boosted effects.
13. Mullein Oil
When researching how to help ear pain, you will find that mullein oil does an excellent job of relieving discomfort. Even though it isn’t an antibacterial agent, it has anti-inflammatory and analgesic benefits that help reduce the pain that comes with an ear infection.
- Pourmullein oil into a cup.
- Drench a small cotton ball in the cup.
- Place the soaked cotton ball inside the ear that needs treatment.
- Allow it to sink in for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the cotton ball and repeat when you feel acute pain caused by the infection.
Radishes are amazing vegetables that you can even plant at home for cooking or treating common ailments, ear infection included. Even though there isn’t research to back up the effectiveness of radishes as home remedies for ear infection, many users swear by the great results they offer.
- Crush 1 piece of radish until you get 1 teaspoon worth.
- Combine it with 2 tablespoons of mustard oil.
- Heat for 10 minutes.
- Strain the radish pieces.
- Use 2-3 drops of the resulted liquid in your ear.
- Repeat 4-5 times a day, or whenever you feel the pain flaring up again.
15. Mango Leaf Juice
Little do most know that mango leaves come with a multitude of nutrients. Aside from antioxidants, enzymes, and minerals, mango leaves are also rich in the active ingredient mangiferin. As a result, they have antibiotic properties that work amazingly for healing ear infections.
- Use a mortar and pestle to finely crush 3-4 mango leaves.
- Extract the juice and gently heat it until it’s warm.
- Apply 4-5 drops in the affected ear, either with a cotton ball or a dropper.
- Repeat the process 2 to 3 times a day.
16. Eucalyptus Oil Steam
To wrap up our home remedies for ear infection, we want to introduce you to the outstanding process of using steam. If you boil water and add a key essential oil, like eucalyptus, you can clear up the Eustachian tubes where the infection is blocked. Eucalyptus is one of the best oils you can use, thanks to its active compound cineole. It makes this oil an exceptional antimicrobial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory agent, among quite a few other healing properties.
- Boil 1 large pot of water.
- Add 5-6 drops of eucalyptus oil.
- Lean over and place a towel over your head so you can capture the steam.
- Inhale for 5-7 minutes.
- Do this daily so you can unclog your Eustachian tubes.
The home remedies for ear infection we listed are fantastic natural alternatives to ineffective and possibly dangerous store-bought antibiotics. Not only will they probably heal the infection faster, but they will do so safely. Practice makes perfect, so make sure that you repeat the remedies for a few days so the effects can take place. Nevertheless, consult your doctor if the symptoms persist after 3 or 4 days of frequent use. Let us know in a comment below what’s the home remedy for an ear infection that worked for you best?