Home remedies for earache for adults, children, and toddlers are some of the most sought-after natural solutions. While some commercial medication might work, you never know what potentially harmful ingredients they might contain. So forget about the over-the-counter medicine and learn about new, healthy and easy ways to cure earaches at home. Explore our 18 natural remedies for earache and enjoy a fast and safe recovery, safe to use on children also.
Try these home remedies for earache to relieve the pain!
Share this Image On Your Site
- A great tasting healthy. Organic, Heirloom, Non-GMO
- Easy to Grow and Harvest from Bulb
- Great Producer--Lots of Bulbs per plant
- Better Than Anything in the Store
- Buy only Country Creek Brand by Country Creek--Not Chinese Counterfeits (be careful)
Garlic has been used as a home remedy for earache for ages now, and all for a very good reason. Even though not much research has been conducted on its effectiveness, the powerful antibiotic, analgesic and antiviral properties of garlic make it an excellent home remedy for an earache.
- Crush one clove of garlic.
- Add it to two tablespoons of sesame oil and warm it.
- After a few minutes, remove and strain.
- Take this oil and put several drops in your ear.
2. Chewing Gum
- Enjoy this nostalgic fruity favorite
- Every stick of delicious bubble gum still comes with a temporary tattoo
- Comes in the classic melon, cherry, lemon, orange, and peach flavors
- Perfect to keep in a purse or a backpack to share with both friends and family
- Made by Ferrara Pan Candy company which is the number one non-chocolate candy manufacturer in the United States
If you have ever traveled via airplane or changed altitudes abruptly, you will find this type of ear pain grudgingly familiar. In some cases, it might not come in the form of an acute pain, but rather a kind of discomfort that may or may not affect your hearing. For these situations, chewing gum can be one of the best home remedies for an earache.
- Chew a piece of bubble gum if you get ear pain due to altitude change, allowing your jaws to make large, circular motions.
- The pain should subside shortly afterward.
*If pain does not subside, get in touch with your doctor to make sure that you’re not suffering from an ear infection that requires medical attention.
Even though we love to use onion in our home-cooked meals, many of us would be surprised to know that it is quite a solid home remedy for earaches. Its antiseptic properties make onion useful for painful ears, its use will get you back to normal in no time. Even more so, onion is one of the best home remedies for earache because you can apply it in multiple ways. Onions can work great as a home remedy for an ear infection as well.
- Great Taste In Salads
- Great to Fry With Other Vegetables
- Excellent to Bake With Pizza
- Adds Very Nice Color wWth Other Vegetables
- Finely grate one onion and squeeze its juice out.
- Take several drops and pour them into your ear a couple of times throughout the day.
- Cut an onion in half and place it over the infected ear.
- Mildly heat a piece of union and place it inside your ear, as an alternative.
4. Ginger and Olive Oil
|Organic Ground Ginger Root (1 Pound) by Anthony's, Gluten-Free, Non-GMO||Check Price|
|Kirkland Signature Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 67.62 Ounce||Check Price|
If you’re looking for home remedies for earache with strong anti-inflammatory properties, ginger is your go-to solution. It is commonly used for a wide range of health issues, as it can help reduce pain. It is best to use fresh ginger to soothe an earache, so try to get some for this remedy. Olive oil is also an important remedy that helps with clogged ears.
- Grate a bit of ginger root until you get one teaspoon.
- Mix it with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and leave it for about ten minutes.
- After that, take a few drops and put them in the affected ear.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
While quite a few solutions on this list aren’t all that well-known by most, apple cider vinegar for earache is quite popular. Earache home remedies vinegar solutions are praised as being effective, efficient and one of the best ways to get rid of a painful ear. Apple cider vinegar is known for being an incredible ingredient for outnumbered health problems, thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Combine apple cider vinegar with a bit of rubbing alcohol.
- Take three drops of this mixture and put it in the affected ear.
- Repeat several times a day for the best results.
6. Olive Oil
Natural earache drops are, without a doubt, some of the most reliable home remedies for earache available. Most individuals will already have olive oil in their kitchen, and preparing this remedy is extremely easy. Bishop’s oil, tea tree oil, and sesame oil all work wonderfully as remedies for an earache, but olive oil is readily available and easy to apply.
- Heat a bit of olive oil until it’s warm.
- Use three drops in your affected ear.
- Repeat as necessary until the infection disappears.
7. Radish and Mustard Oil
|Black Radish - Avg 10 Lb Case||Check Price|
|8 Oz Premium Mustard Seed Oil Unrefined Undiluted Organic||Check Price|
Among the numerous remedies available we can also find radish. It works by fighting the infection, alleviating pain and reducing inflammation. If you decide to choose radish as one of your home remedies for earache, we recommend that you combine it with mustard oil for the best effects. To put it shortly, you have to combine the two ingredients for some homemade eardrops, below you can see how you can do it.
- Slice and dice a radish into small pieces.
- Prepare a bit of mustard oil and add the chopped radish.
- Heat the two ingredients until warm.
- Strain and use the liquid to gently drop into your ear.
8. Hair Dryer
This probably isn’t one of the home remedies for earache that you would expect to see on a list of natural alternatives, but you should know that heat is fundamental for relieving pain and supporting recovery. As you already may know that, since many of our remedies for earache included here show that heat is a great way to get better naturally. You can apply this remedy especially if you don’t have any ingredients at hand.
- Damage Protection Hair Dryer for Shiny, Healthy Hair
- 3X More Protection* with Advanced Coating Technology
- Healthier Hair* with Proprietary Micro-Conditioner Technology
- 1875W for Fast Drying Power
- Ceramic + Ionic + Tourmaline Grill for Faster Drying with Less Frizz*
- After you take a shower, don’t dry your ears with a towel.
- Use a hair dryer instead, and hold it a bit further away from your ear.
- Make sure you don’t use the hair dryer for over five minutes.
9. Licorice and Clarified Butter
|Brewer's Best Brewing Herbs and Spices - Licorice Root||Check Price|
|Keto Friendly Grass Fed Ghee Clarified Butter From Grass-Fed Cows - Paleo, Ayurvedic, Gluten-Free,...||Check Price|
Another home remedy for an earache you probably weren’t expecting is licorice. We’re talking about the herb, so be careful to not get your ingredients confused. For this remedy, you also need some clarified butter. From there, the preparation process is easy.
- Take a bit of licorice and add it to some clarified butter.
- Gently heat the two ingredients, but not until they’re hot.
- Mix well until you obtain a paste-like substance.
- Put the paste around your ear (not inside it) for the best impact.
10. Hydrogen Peroxide
- Topical Solution Helps Prevent Infection
You might have heard of earache peroxide solutions among friends or family members. Well, this is one of the cases when you can trust rumors because home remedies for earache using hydrogen peroxide are amazing for ears in pain. Additionally, this is one of the easiest remedies you can apply. This works great as a home remedy for removing ear wax as well, and for treating an itchy throat.
- Get a bit of hydrogen peroxide.
- Pour a few drops of hydrogen peroxide in your ear using a dropper.
- Repeat if you need to.
11. Echinacea Tea
- Promotes Immune Function*
- Non-GMO verified. All Ingredients Certified Organic. Kosher. Caffeine Free.
- Herbal Supplement. The highest quality, pharmacopoeia grade herbs
- Taste: Mildly minty, with a twist of citrus
- Case of six boxes, each box containing 16 sealed tea bags (96 total tea bags)
We all know that Echinacea is a fantastic herb for boosting your immune system, but this lovely herb can be used for multiple health problems, ear pain included. It’s protective and its infection-fighting properties are what recommend it as a top-notch remedy for pain in infected ears.
- Brew a pot of Echinacea tea.
- Drink throughout the day to enjoy its properties.
- Aside from curing your ear infection, you will also be doing general good to your body.
12. Vitamin C Boost
- CONTAINS EUROPEAN VITAMIN C - Beware of low-quality vitamin C and where it comes from. Our Vitamin C contains premium Quali-C from Scotland, made by one of the world's leading providers of this essential nutrient. Each batch is third-party tested for quality, providing a healthy 1,000 mg dose of immunity supporting vitamin C.*
- GET MORE WITH EVERY SERVING - Our vitamin C blend includes citrus bioflavonoids and rose hips, giving you additional antioxidant support with each and every serving.*
- HELPS FIGHT FREE RADICALS* - Viva Naturals Vitamin C fires up your antioxidant action, helping you fight back against cell-damaging free radicals.*
- SUPPORTS COLLAGEN FOR HAIR, NAILS & JOINTS* - Collagen is the holy grail of healthy hair, skin, nails and joints, and adding a high-quality vitamin C to your wellness routine can help your body make more of it.*
- NON-GMO & VEGGIE-FRIENDLY - Our vitamin C capsules are both non-GMO and veggie-friendly, making them an easy addition to any wellness practice or dietary lifestyle.
Even though most home remedies for earache pain involve dropping substances into an affected ear, some require a few lifestyle changes. Although these changes could be temporary for as long as your experience ear pain, they can also be continued afterward. Vitamin C is one of the best nutrients your body can absorb for battling infections.
- Increase the amount of foods rich in vitamin C in your daily diet. A few examples are papayas, oranges, berries, lemons, and more.
- Take vitamin C supplements to increase your daily vitamin C input.
Peppermint is also one of the top herbal home remedies for earache that you can try out. For this solution you can use either peppermint oil or fresh peppermint leaves, both will work fine.
- GET BETTER RESULTS WITH SUN ESSENTIAL OILS - With what we believe to be superior sourced and harvested ingredients, we think you will agree that our oils are by far the most effective on the market - a wonderful smell that can't be beat!
- SUN PROVIDES THE BEST ESSENTIAL OILS - Yes, it's a matter of opinion, but we believe our oils to be the best and will provide anyone who doesn't feel the same way with an 100% pure, unconditional manufacturer refund, anytime. We think you will feel that you have never smelled an oil this wonderful...and that after you have smelled this oil other brands may have a distinct alcohol or chemical smell with a 'dry' scent and noticeable lack of depth.
- LOVE THE SMELL AND FEEL GREAT - Fatigue and irritability are often a result of many factors that are difficult to pinpoint. Clear your mind and relax with the wonderful smell of Peppermint
- SUN makes the BEST quality PREMIUM Aromatherapy oils and has OVER 100 SCENTS
- If using fresh peppermint leaves, extract their juice by smashing them up well.
- For peppermint oil, use a couple of drops on a Q-tip.
- Take the peppermint juice or oil and apply it around your ear, making sure that it does not seep in.
14. Warm or Cold Compress
The home remedy for earache in adults or children that everyone should be aware of is the compress. The intriguing part of this remedy is that it works both hot and cold. Cool compresses help reduce inflammation, while the heat from a warm compress helps relieve pain.
- Get a clean towel and soak it in either cold or hot water.
- Place the compress against your ear for a couple of minutes.
- Try both options – hot and cold – and see which has the best results for you.
Neem is another one of the trust-worthy herbal earache home remedies that come packed with infection-killing benefits. With properties like antifungal, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory, it’s easy to understand why neem is so popular among home remedies for earache.
- Crush up a handful of neem leaves so you can get the juice from the herbs.
- Use neem oil for your earache as an alternative.
- Apply a few drops in the ear you want to treat.
- Repeat two times every day to get rid of the pain.
Another folk home remedy for earache pain involves salt, an ingredient that certainly has made its way into every household. You can’t use salt for earache drops, but you can apply it as a compress.
- Heat five tablespoons of salt in a frying pan.
- Wait until it turns a bit golden.
- Place the heated salt into a towel and wrap it up.
- Use as a compress for about five minutes every day so the pain subsides.
17. Eucalyptus Oil
- Pure and natural, steam distilled eucalyptus essential oil; non-toxin, no additives, unfiltered and undiluted with no fillers
- Extracted from the leaves using a chemical-free, double distillation process to ensure the highest level of purity
- SAFETY WARNING: For external use only. Other than aromatherapy, dilute with a carrier oil. For topical use, rub a very small amount on the inside of your elbow area to test for any allergic reaction before use. Keep out of the reach of pets. Essential oils can be potentially toxic to pets at certain concentrations. Cats can be especially sensitive to essential oils. Avoid contact with eyes, keep out of the reach of children. If pregnant, consult with your health care provider before use
- Eucalyptus essential oil has a strong woody and sweet scent
- Delivered with a premium quality glass dropper for ease-of-use
Some claim that eucalyptus oil is the best home remedy for earache. Eucalyptus essential oil is an antiviral and antibacterial agent that will definitely aid in your recovery. You can use eucalyptus oil with other ingredients (like garlic), or on its own.
- Boil a pot of water.
- Add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to the water.
- Place a towel over your head and deeply inhale the steam.
- Repeat as often as you can to eliminate the pain.
18. Basil Leaves
Our final pick of great home remedies for earache is basil. By using this herb, you get antibacterial, analgesic and anti-inflammatory benefits all in one. The prep process is similar to other herbs on our list.
- "WE RECOMMEND ENSURING THE PLANTS RECEIVE 8 FULL HOURS OF SUNLIGHT (OR GROW BULB LIGHT) EACH DAY. WE ALSO WANT TO ENSURE THAT CUSTOMERS ARE PREVENTING OVER-WATERING AND TRIMMING EXCESS SEEDLINGS WHEN THEY ARE ~1 INCH TALL, TO ALLOW FOR 2-3 OF THE MOST SUCCESSFUL SEEDLINGS TO ESTABLISH INTO THE FINAL FULL PLANTS"
- Easy to grow containers for small-space, windowsill gardening
- Includes organic basil seeds, bio char for moisture control, organic fertilizer and nutrient-rich soil
- Easy and fun: plant, water and watch it grow
- No messy drainage
- Smash several basil leaves to obtain the juice from them.
- Pour 3-4 drops in the affected ear.
- Do this every day to recover.
As you have learned, there are numerous home remedies for earache that you can choose from instead of getting over-the-counter medication. The National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD) informs us that 5 out of every 6 children will get at least one ear infection by the time they turn age 3, so we advise you to try our natural remedies for children as well. If you have tried any of these remedies for earache, please do let us know in a comment below which was the most effective for you.