Folliculitis is a condition which affects the follicles, the openings surrounding hairs that allow them into the skin. It appears when these spaces get infected, usually due to a lot of friction that let some sort of bacteria or germs inside. Causes for this condition are plenty, though some of the most common ones are irritation resulting from shaving, ingrown hairs, poor hygiene, or breaches in your immune system. Keep scrolling and discover the best home remedies for folliculitis we recommend and what you need in order to make them.
Try our home remedies for folliculitis and you won’t regret it!
1. Hot Compress
Exposing the affected area to some sort of source of warmth is going to boost circulation trough your body, thus speeding up the healing process. This way, you can also numb down the inflammation and irritation that are often some of the most unpleasant symptoms of this condition.
- Boil some water.
- Transfer the water into a plastic bottle.
- Place the water bottle inside of a towel and wrap it in.
- Set this compress directly to the area troubling you.
- Keep it pressed until it cools down.
- Certified Organic and Easy to Use! This bright yellow powder has a warm aroma and gingery/peppery taste making it an excellent addition to Indian, Moroccan, Asian and Middle Eastern dishes!
- A small pinch of turmeric powder will add a nice orange-yellow hue to salad dressings. Use it to spice vegetables and meat, particularly lamb. It also will complement any recipe that uses rice, lentils and beans
- Healthworks Turmeric Powder is all natural, non-irradiated and certified organic. Turmeric has a known history of powerful anti-inflammatory effects and antioxidant properties. The most active ingredient in turmeric is Curcumin, which is known for protecting the body's cells and and relieving plain.
- Right from the source: Our organic turmeric powder is hand selected from small sustainable farmers to provide a truly exquisite powder to your front door
- Our Healthworks Customer Satisfaction Promise: We love our turmeric and stand behind it; Receive a full refund or replacement within 30 days if you are not completely satisfied.
Turmeric is rich in curcumin, a compound that serves as a natural anti-inflammatory agent with wonderful soothing properties against all kinds of swellings and irritations. It’s precisely what you need to bring down inflammation coming from folliculitis in a fast and effective manner. You can also use turmeric in case you suffer from a stomach virus.
- Blend half a teaspoon of turmeric with either coconut or olive oil until you form a paste.
- Slather it on the affected area.
- Wait 1 or 2 hours then rinse off the turmeric paste.
- Reapply until the infection is gone.
3. Indian Lilac
Indian lilac, also commonly known as neem, is one of the best home remedies for folliculitis thanks to its excellent anti-inflammatory properties which will bring relief to irritation and swellings. It’s a herbal treatment that will contribute to your healing in a natural and steady manner, so definitely consider it if you’re looking for a great remedy to help you treat this issue.
- Grind a fistful of neem leaves into a paste.
- Apply it on the sensitive area.
- Leave it on for at least 30 minutes before rinsing it off.
- Repeat this a few times a day.
- Boil some neem leaves in water until the water quantity shrinks down to one-third.
- Use this water to wash the affected area.
- Repeat a few times daily.
4. Tea Tree Oil
- ESSENTIAL AROMATHERAPY - Tea Tree is renewing with a potent, warm spicy scent associated with purification and cleansing. Uplift your mood and reduce negative energy and its influence on your mood with premium oils ideal for purifying the air.
- NATURALLY SOURCED/RESPONSIBLY MADE - This oil is extracted through steam distillation of leaves and twigs. Made in state-of-the-art laboratories, naturally derived and subject to purity testing in-house, vegan and never tested on any animals.
- 100% PURE/UNDILUTED - Our essential oils are highly concentrated and 100% pure and free of synthetic ingredients, delivering the very best benefit of the source of the plants, fruits, seeds, flowers, bark, stems, roots or leaves from which they come.
- MULTI-USE/BENEFITS - Aromatherapy is an ancient and time-honored tradition. Can be used in diffusers to breathe fresh air into a room or to enjoy aromas that relax or stimulate your mind. Melt away stress and tension in an instant with a simple drop.
- CLEAN/SAFE ALTERNATIVE - Presents a safe, natural alternative to toxic, artificial aerosal sprays or messy candles. If you're concerned about keeping your home both clean and fire-safe, we'd highly suggest throwing some essential oils in the mix!
Tea tree oil is, above all, a highly powerful antiseptic with wonderful healing abilities. It can banish bacteria that lurk around the follicles, the culprits behind infections and inflammations and, by default, behind this very condition. Aside from destroying bacteria, tea tree oil also has anti-inflammatory properties to provide relief from pain.
- Blend 5 drops of tea tree oil with 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive or coconut oil.
- Massage this oil on the affected area.
- Rinse it off after 1-2 hours.
- Repeat once daily.
- Pour 1 or 2 drops of tea tree oil into a cotton swab.
- Apply it gently on the affected area.
- Allow it to sit for 1 hour.
- Rinse it off with cool water.
- Repeat twice daily.
5. Aloe Vera
- Two pounds of certified organic aloe vera leaves.
- Aloe vera leaves are harvested and prepared/drained of aloin correctly before shipping.
Aloe Vera is truly the plant to go for if you are in desperate need of something to help you get rid of inflammations and pain. To bring relief to skin affected by inflammations and swellings, you can certainly reap the cooling effects of Aloe Vera to help you. Moreover, it is also very useful when treating a sebaceous cyst.
- Add 1 cup of any mild shampoo of your choice in a bowl.
- Add in the shampoo 1 teaspoon of Aloe Vera gel and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Wash your hair using this homemade shampoo and then leave in your hair for a few minutes.
- Rinse as per usual.
- Repeat this whenever you’re in need of it.
Oatmeal has moisturizing properties that are particularly useful when you are dealing with a case of drying of the scalp, a very common side effect of this condition. That being said, oatmeal is one of those home remedies for folliculitis that will help you with the numerous aesthetic issues resulted from this affliction.
- Packed bulk to save you money! High in beta glucans!
- USDA Certified Organic, Non-GMO, Grown in the USA!
- Delicious and nutritious hot breakfast!
- Wonderful added to your homemade whole wheat bread.
- All you need to do is soak some oatmeal in some hot water.
- Let is it cool a bit.
- Apply generously to your head and leave on for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse and shampoo as usually and repeat frequently for lasting results.
7. Oregano Oil
- HIGH QUALITY OREGANO OIL: 100% pure, gentle, and effective natural oregano oil from a non-GMO source. No toxins or additives. Unfiltered and undiluted. Therapeutic grade. Steam-distilled. Packaged & bottled in the USA.
- MADE WITH LOVE: UpNature was founded by two brothers with a vision to provide 100% all natural products, for easy, effective, & natural solutions for health & well-being, so everybody can live happier and healthier lives.
- FIGHT COLDS: A soothing oil to keep you healthy all year round.
- SOOTHE SORE THROATS: Stop your cough before it starts!
- 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE: We offer a full 100% 365 days money back guarantee. If you are not satisfied with UpNature Oregano Oil, we will refund your entire purchase.
Next on our home remedies for folliculitis list we have oregano oil. Due to its texture, it’s automatically moisturizing and it will help deal with dryness, another common side effect that takes its toll on your skin. Furthermore, it’s highly antiseptic, so it will also destroy the bacteria giving you trouble.
- Grind around 3-4 cloves of garlic until you get a pasty consistency.
- Add about 4-5 drops of oregano oil and mix everything thoroughly.
- Apply this mixture directly to the affected areas and let it sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this treatment for the next few weeks on a daily basis.
8. Coconut Oil
- MADE FROM FRESH, ORGANIC COCONUTS - Cold-pressed from fresh, organic coconuts, Viva Naturals Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil delivers rich flavor and aroma that's nutrient rich and naturally delicious.
- PERFECT FOR COOKING, FRYING & SPREADING - With a naturally high smoke point (350°F/177°C), coconut oil is perfect for baking, frying and sautéing. Spread it on muffins or toast for a delightful and delicious alternative to butter.
- NUTRIENT-RICH SKIN & HAIR-CARE TREATMENT - Super useful outside the kitchen, coconut oil makes a luscious lotion or hair conditioner that provides deep, nutrient-rich hydration without feeling sticky or greasy.
- EASILY FITS YOUR LIFESTYLE - Whether you're following a keto, paleo or gluten-free lifestyle, or just looking for a tastier alternative to margarine or cooking oil, our Organic Coconut Oil is easy to use, and fits seamlessly into your day-to-day. No refrigeration required.
- USDA-CERTIFIED ORGANIC & NON-GMO - Using only the world's highest-quality organic coconuts, our Coconut Oil is USDA-Certified Organic, non-GMO, and gluten free, grown and harvested sustainably without the use of harmful chemicals, pesticides or other nastiness.
Coconut oil, just like oregano oil, is truly wonderful at providing your skin with the moisture that it needs in case the condition is leaving it dry and patchy. It does not only provide moisture but it is also great at providing relief from itchiness, that is why we also recommend it as one of the best home remedies for itchy scalp.
- Heat up 2 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Spread the coconut oil through your hair.
- Cover your head with a towel and leave it on overnight.
- Wash your hair and shampoo as normally the next morning.
- Let your hair air dry.
9. Witch Hazel
- FREE bottle of Quinn's Rosewater Toner valued at $13.27 when you purchase Quinn's Unscented Witch Hazel. Simply follow the instructions below in the section called " Special offers and product promotions".
- Fragrance Free - Quinn's beautiful, fragrant free hypoallergenic formula is designed for those with sensitive skin or sensitivity to fragrances.
- Alcohol-free - That's right, an astringent without alcohol or an unpleasant alcohol fragrance! Your skin will be left thoroughly cleansed and conditioned without disturbing its natural moisture. You'll be amazed at the soothing, non-drying nature of Quinn's
- Won't dry out - Our unique formula is NOT DISTILLED, leaving the active WITCH HAZEL within to act as an ALL-IN-ONE CLEANSER, TONER & MOISTURIZER, suitable for ALL SKIN TYPES, on ANY FACE
- Save $7 when you buy 2 x Quinn's products. See "SPECIAL OFFERS AND PRODUCT PROMOTIONS" below for more details. All natural - all of our ingredients are 100% natural, organic and free of parabens and propylene glycol, and includes our certified organic Aloe Vera. Don't love your Quinn's Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel? We will happily give you a 100% money back satisfaction guarantee refund
Witch hazel is a powerful natural antiseptic that is going to be of great help when dealing with such a delicate situation. It can destroy bacteria infecting the follicles and contribute to the recovery of your skin by providing it with the nutrients it needs to fight off infection and inflammation. Due to its amazing properties is is also on our list of the best home remedies for genital warts.
- Apply some witch hazel directly to your scalp using a cotton pad.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse off using lukewarm water.
- A great tasting healthy. Organic, Heirloom, Non-GMO
- Easy to Grow and Harvest from Bulb
- Great Producer--Lots of Bulbs per plant
- Better Than Anything in the Store
- Good for Flavorful Cooking
Garlic is quite possibly one of the biggest antiseptic agents of nature, as well as one of the most reliable home remedies for folliculitis thanks to its antibacterial prowess. It is also used for a variety of other conditions, like for getting rid of jock’s itch, or even when suffering from a staph infection.
- Mash 2-3 cloves of garlic.
- Add to a small bowl of water and let it all infuse for about 10 minutes.
- Dip a cotton pad or ball in this solution.
- Apply to the affected areas.
- Let it dry out and then rinse with water and apply a moisturizer.
Goldenseal is a soothing plant that you can use to help you deal with the problems of this condition. It’s one of the most efficient home remedies for folliculitis thanks to its fantastic soothing properties and the moisturizing prowess that will deal with skin dryness.
- Frontier Natural Products
- Health and Beauty
- Add 1 teaspoon of goldenseal powder to 1 cup of water.
- Let it steep for a few minutes and then strain.
- Wait for the solution to cool down.
- Apply the mixture directly to the skin for 10 minutes and then pat dry.
- Repeat 2-3 times a day for proper results and benefits.
12. Apple Cider Vinegar
- CLARKE'S APPLE CIDER VINEGAR IS RAW, unfiltered and unpasteurized.
- CONTAINS THE "MOTHER", what raw apple cider vinegar is treasured for.
- CERTIFIED USDA ORGANIC, certified kosher, certified non-gmo & gluten-free.
- BIOLOGICALLY ACTIVE and made from organically grown apples.
- DELICIOUS AND HEALTHY, a wonderful and fruity alternative to white vinegars.
Apple cider vinegar is quite famous for its antiseptic and antiviral properties. It’s capable of balancing pH levels on your skin, thus creating alkaline environments that are anything but welcoming to bacteria causing infections and inflammations. Simply create a mixture using this renowned remedy and you have earned one of the most reliable home remedies for folliculitis.
- Mix 1 part raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar with 2 parts lukewarm water.
- Take a cotton ball and use it to apply this solution on the irritated skin.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes, then rinse it off.
- Slather on some coconut oil to moisturize the area and prevent flakiness.
- Mix 1-2 teaspoons of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar with a glass of lukewarm water.
- Drink it 1 to 2 times daily.
13. Almond Oil
- Beauty Aura 100 % Pure Sweet Almond oil is cold pressed from Best Quality Almond kernels
- Deep moisturizing oil, helps balance the moisture in your skin making it a wonderful natural moisturizer suitable for all skin types
- Hexane Free, Chemicals Free, Synthetic Ingredients FreeRefined to ensure purity
- Refined to ensure purity. Tested to ensure Highest Quality
- Made in USA
Like the other oils we have mentioned, almond oil is also a fantastic way of dealing with the main symptoms of folliculitis: skin dryness and itchiness respectively. It brings moisture to the skin and its antiseptic properties allow it to combat itchiness by destroying bacteria, which makes is a great home remedy for stretch marks as well.
- Combine 1/4 cup of almond oil with 1 raw egg.
- Apply the mixture to your hair and scalp from the roots down.
- Let it sit for 40 minutes.
- Rinse and shampoo as per usual.
- Nature Nate's 100% Pure Raw & Unfiltered Honey in a 32-oz. dispenser is a perfect recipe sweetener and sugar substitute; certified Gluten Free, OU Kosher certified
- Just as nature intended, Nature Nate's strained honey is gently warmed to retain existing pollen composition, acting as a source of Vitamin C, antioxidants, protein, iron and fiber
- Spread, pour, slather, douse, bake, decorate or add to recipes, acai bowls, smoothies, baked goods, glazes, herbal teas, morning beverages and more for a balanced diet
- Perfect and wonderful pairing to roasted nuts, grilled fruits, tea, coffee, fish marinade, butter, root vegetables or drizzled on cheese. Brush honey on raw foods for delectable caramelized goodness
- Known for high quality products, Nature Nate's brings honey from the farm to the family table, without compromising its natural vitamins and enzymes and keeping it as close to the hive as possible
Last but definitely not least, honey is both an antiseptic and a deeply moisturizing agent, famous for its ability to retain moisture and lock it in the skin so that it resists longer. It will help you with folliculitis both on a surface and profound level. It is also very helpful in cases of itchy skin.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of honey with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice in 1 cup of water.
- Pour this solution all through your hair and scalp.
- Leave on for another 10 minutes.
- Wash out using lukewarm and apply your favorite shampoo.
Remember that you should absolutely consult a dermatologist about the current state and possible risks of the condition. In the meantime, however, either one of these home remedies for folliculitis are going to help you keep under control some of its most troublesome symptoms, particularly dryness, flakiness, and itchiness. Let us know in a comment below which remedy worked best for you!