The CDC estimates that 1 in every 6 Americans experiences food poising every year. This means that food poisoning – officially regarded as foodborne illness – affects approximately 48 million U.S. residents annually. Even more disheartening, TIME Magazine reports that 351,000 individuals die from food poisoning yearly around the world. Upon reading these statistics, we were determined to provide quality home remedies for food poisoning, pain and other related symptoms.
If you ever accidentally ingest poison, call the United States Poison Control Center immediately: 1-800-222-1222.
Use Home Remedies for Food Poisoning to Get Safe Relief
Share this Image On Your Site
- 2 lbs. Fresh Ginger Root
- Fresh ginger is a staple in my kitchen. It is an extremely versatile ingredient.
- Ginger can be sliced into planks or matchsticks, chopped, grated, puréed, and minced,
Regarded by many as the best home remedy for food poisoning, ginger has plenty of stomach-soothing qualities that recommend it. Ginger root contains 3 active ingredients that fuel its anti-inflammatory, analgesic and antiseptic properties gingerol, zingerone and shogaol. There are two main ways to consume ginger as a food poisoning home remedy, both described in detail below.
- Peel and crush a piece of ginger that’s about ½ inch long.
- Combine it with ½ teaspoon of raw honey.
- Eat 1-2 times daily to boost hydrochloric acid production in your stomach and inhibit bacteria growth.
- Brew a cup of ginger tea as a liquid alternative.
- Finely grate a piece of ginger, the equivalent of 1 teaspoon.
- Boil in 1 cup of water.
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey and drink warm.
Another one of the top home remedies for food poisoning is basil, owing to its powerful medicinal properties. A strong antibacterial agent, basil can not only treat food poisoning, but also other issues that range from menstrual cramps to earache. As a food poison home remedy, basil works best when combined with plain yogurt and black salt and pepper. Fresh basil leaves are recommended for this healing recipe.
- Crush a handful of basil leaves until well ground.
- Add a pinch each of black pepper and black salt.
- Add 3-4 tablespoons of Greek yogurt.
- Stir thoroughly.
- Consume at least 3 times throughout the day for relief.
3. Activated Charcoal
- Activated charcoal is excellent for digestive cleansing, teeth whitening, face mask.
- It is also effective for absorbing poisons and other toxins ingested accidentally.
- Virgin Activated Charcoal Powder (Derived from selected natural hardwood)
- Gourmet USP Food Grade, Vegan, and Gluten Free
- Country of Origin: USA
Also among the best home remedies for food poisoning is activated charcoal. We have spoken about this little-known miracle ingredient before, when talking about whitening teeth naturally. However, this isn’t the only benefit, as activated charcoal can neutralize the dangerous toxins associated with food poisoning. In fact, it is known for being one of the most efficient natural antidotes for poison, from E. Coli and arsenic to gasoline and mercury.
- Take between 520 and 975 milligrams of activated charcoal, roughly the equivalent of 2-3 capsules.
- Repeat with 2 capsules every 60 minutes, until you reach the maximum recommended daily dosage of 5 grams.
* Do not give children ages 3 or younger activated charcoal. Speak to a doctor about the amount you should take for the severity of your food poisoning.
- Samyo Fake Fruit Home House Kitchen Party Decoration Artificial Lifelike Simulation Yellow Lemon 10Pcs Set
As a stomach acidity booster, lemons deserve their place among effective home remedies for food poisoning. Aside from being loaded with vitamin C, lemons also have antiviral, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that all work together to combat the results of food poisoning. It is best to use freshly squeezed, undiluted lemon juice for food poisoning treatment.
- Squeeze the juice from a lemon, just enough so you get 1-2 tablespoons of liquid.
- Drink without adding any extra water.
- Repeat between 4 and 5 times a day for the best impact.
- A great tasting healthy. Organic, Heirloom, Non-GMO
- Easy to Grow and Harvest from Bulb
- Great Producer--Lots of Bulbs per plant
- Better Than Anything in the Store
- Good for Flavorful Cooking
Garlic contains diallyl sulphide, a substance that recommends this cooking staple even more than antibiotics. Among home remedies for food poisoning in adults, garlic stands out by being both readily available and effective. The strong antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial properties garlic possesses prove it.
- Crush 2 large cloves of garlic.
- Add the ground garlic in 1 glass of water. It should be at room temperature.
- Drink the full glass of garlic water.
- Repeat 1-2 times daily to reap its benefits.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar
- No Spill Spout Designed to fit the bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar Bottle. This Listing is for the Spout Only. Vinegar is NOT Included.
- Fits perfectly. Redesigned to fit the braggs odd size bottle neck
- Pour With Ease! No mess! No Drips
- Sold Exclusive By Seller Valerie Mckenzie. Pure Power Branded
The alkaline impact that apple cider vinegar has for taming stomach acid proves it is one of the trustworthy home remedies for food poisoning. Its properties allow it to reduce inflammation, destroy bacteria and prevent future growth all in one. The amino acids, minerals, and vitamins in apple cider vinegar also play an essential role in food poisoning treatment.
- Swallow 2-3 teaspoons of unfiltered apple cider vinegar (with the mother) 3 times daily.
- Stir 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in 1 cup of warm water as an alternative.
- Drink the cup before every meal if you choose the second option.
7. Greek Yogurt & Fenugreek Seeds
|Oikos Plain Nonfat Greek Yogurt, 5.3 Ounce - 12 per case.||Check Price|
|Naturevibe Botanicals Organic Fenugreek Seeds Whole (1 pound), Trigonella foenum graecum | Gluten...||Check Price|
Some at home remedies for food poisoning involve more than one ingredient. In this case, you rely on the medicinal properties of fenugreek seeds and plain yogurt for treatment. While yogurt has antibacterial benefits, fenugreek seeds reduce stomach pain. Together, they alleviate symptoms and treat the cause. Please make sure that you only use the plain variety, and not any yogurts with fruits, flavoring or other ingredients.
- Put 1 tablespoon of plain, white, Greek yogurt in a cup.
- Add 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds and mix well.
- Swallow the mixture without chewing the seeds.
8. Cumin Seeds
- Premium quality certified USDA organic whole cumin seeds.
- Warm and Aromatic cumin is often paired with corinader and other hot spices.
- Enhance the flavor of cumin seeds by roasting before use.
- 100% Pure and Natural, No Artificial Colors, Flavors or Preservatives.
- Packed in a resealable zipper pouch to maintain its aroma and freshness.
With more than a hundred chemical compounds, cumin seeds are a home remedy for food poison that should not be overlooked. Crystalline nigellone, their main active ingredient, works with the beta sitosterol, thymoquinone and multiple acids (like palmitic, oleic or myristic acids) to fight food poisoning. Cumin seeds work best when consumed with another type of healing seeds – coriander.
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil.
- Add 1 teaspoon of black cumin seeds and a pinch of salt.
- Throw in 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds for an even better effect.
- Drink at least 2 times every day for relief.
- Roasting and grinding brings out the lemony flavor of coriander seed
- Use in Indian and Middle Eastern recipes, roasted meats and sweet baked goods
- Premium quality for superior flavor
- All natural, so you know you're serving your family the very best
- FlavorSealed to guarantee bold flavor every time
Speaking of coriander, this is one of the home remedies for food poisoning that has been gaining recent popularity. Research shows that coriander essential oil can demolish bacteria like Salmonella, E. coli or B. cereus successfully. You can take coriander seeds as an accessible alternative for natural food poisoning treatment.
- Drink 1 teaspoon of fresh coriander juice with a bit of salt.
- Repeat twice during the day.
- No more soggy, mushy or bruised bananas
- Keep bananas looking yellow and healthier longer
- Use it for towels, coffee mugs, and other lightweight kitchen items
- Perfect for RV's, work cubicles, college dorm rooms and studios
- Easy to install. Comes with strong self-adhesive tape and screws
Some cures for food poisoning home remedies could very well already be in your refrigerator. This delicious yellow goodie is high in potassium, a mineral that is essential for your body after undergoing food poisoning symptoms. In addition to this, bananas are also a great source of energy after your body has been drained of it from the diarrhea and vomiting that accompany food poisoning.
- Eat 1 ripe banana up to 3 times a day to get its benefits.
- Make a plain banana shake for a similar effect.
11. Peppermint Tea
- A medical food for the dietary management of IBS symptoms and immediate bowel soothing. 100% organic, high volatile oil, fresh packed cut and sift peppermint leaf tea.
- Exceptionally beneficial for quick relief of IBS abdominal pain and spasms, diarrhea, and urgency.
- Anti-spasmodic and pain-killing properties that soothe and relax the digestive tract.
- Naturally caffeine free, gluten free, FODMAPS free. Certified organic by QAI and kosher certified.
- 36 jumbo tea bags!
Herbal teas are easy-to-swallow home remedies for food poisoning. While meadow sweet tea, chamomile tea or licorice tea could help cut nausea, the best all-around herbal remedy for food poisoning in home is peppermint tea. The menthol in peppermint tea makes it antispasmodic, so it helps if you’re feeling sick to your stomach.
- Brew some peppermint tea using 1 teaspoon of dried mint leaves for every cup of water you boil.
- Drink the tea while warm, with or without honey for taste.
- Raw honey with natural pollens and enzymes
- Sourced from trusted, select beekeepers committed to tending bees responsibly
- Handcrafted with care and attention
- True Source Certified, U.S. Grade A Strained, Product of U.S.A.
- The Beesponsible Honey, made for the love of bees
You’ve probably noticed that honey was added to most of our home remedies for food poisoning on this list, usually for natural sweetening. Nevertheless, raw honey has plenty of stomach-calming benefits of its own to be recommended as a solo ingredient too. Its label as a potent antibacterial helps it kill the infection causing your food poisoning. Furthermore, honey neutralizes stomach acid and prevents excess.
- Consume 1 teaspoon of raw honey.
- Do this 3 times a day for the best impact.
- Certified by the USDA Organic, Naturevibe Ceylon Cinnamon Powder is a powerful spice that has been used medicinally around the world for thousands of years.
- The fine, brown powder possesses a sweet, delicate flavour with a unique smell and is used in a plethora of recipes.
- Cinnamomum verum, or Ceylon cinnamon, is considered "true" cinnamon compared to other species in the same genus. It is a spice made from the ground inner bark of a tree native to Sri Lanka, which once was known as Ceylon.
- According to researchers, out of twenty-six of the most popular herbs and medicinal spices in the world, cinnamon actually ranks #1 in terms of its protective antioxidant levels!
- The flavour of cinnamon is due to an aromatic essential oil that makes up 0.5 to 1% of its composition. This essential oil is prepared by roughly pounding the bark, softening it in sea water, and then quickly distilling the whole.
Last but not least, a home remedy food poisoning you can try out is cinnamon. This ingredient contains numerous compounds, like cinnamaldehyde, cinnamic acid and cinnamate. They all make it an anti-inflammatory spice you can count on if you experience this troublesome situation. Even more so, cinnamon kills bacteria – another imperative quality in home remedies for food poisoning.
- Boil 1-2 cinnamon sticks in 1 ½ cups of water.
- Let the water boil for 25 minutes.
- Wait 5 minutes for the tea to steep.
- Strain and drink without rushing.
- Repeat up to 4-5 times a day when suffering from food poisoning.
We want to end our recommendations on a serious note. Home remedies for food poisoning cannot take the place of a doctor’s treatment. Food poisoning can be extremely dangerous and requires professional medical attention if the symptoms do not subside in 1-2 days. If you try these remedies and you still feel ill after the aforementioned timeframe, contact your doctor as soon as possible.
Hoping that they worked out for you, what would you recommend to others? Let’s talk about it in the comment section. Stay safe!
Image sources: no attribution required.