Gum pain is an issue with a number of possible causes, varying from poor oral health to nutritional deficiencies or the hormonal disturbances caused by pregnancy. Regardless of the exact cause, there’s no denying that it’s a condition that can be quite dangerous. Your gums can end up bleeding when you brush your teeth and this, in turn, might evolve into a greater concern. With the guidance of your dentist and some incredibly easy to find yet efficient home remedies for gum pain, you can begin your journey to recovery right away. Keep reading below to discover some of our favorite treatments that will definitely make a lasting impact on your oral health.
A very common cause behind gum pain is some sort of infection in your mouth. Furthermore, when your gums are in this sensitive state, an infection is always risking developing regardless. As such, salt is one of the most important home remedies for gum pain to consider. It inhibits the growth of bacteria and it destroys the ones that already inhabit your mouth.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt to a glass of water and then stir thoroughly to incorporate the salt well in the mass of the liquid.
- Swish this solution around your mouth for around 30 seconds, making sure to cover every area.
- Finally, spit out and then rinse with normal, cool water.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times a day for the next few weeks or until the pain dissipates.
Cranberries are packed with vitamins and antioxidants that can help you fend off bacteria causing infections or keep it at bay to prevent the infections. The vitamins also help give a much-needed boost to your immune system, which will ultimately contribute to a faster and more effective healing.
- You can prepare your very own homemade cranberry juice. All you will need is 1 lb. of fresh or frozen cranberries and 1 quart of water.
- Add the cranberries and water to a pan and then place over heat.
- Next, bring to a boil.
- Afterwards, reduce heat and wait until the berries burst.
- Strain the juice and then return to heat until it’s almost boiling.
- Finally, store in jars and refrigerate before drinking.
- Consume several times throughout the day.
3. Baking Soda
Baking soda is famous for its beneficial properties for oral health. It helps neutralize acids in your mouth, thus preventing infections and tooth decaying. Baking soda’s strong antioxidant and disinfectant properties make it one of the most reliable home remedies for gum pain around.
- Mix 1 cup of baking soda with 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide and stir well until you get a paste.
- Add in 10 drops of peppermint essential oil, mixing, once again, thoroughly.
- Apply this paste directly to your toothbrush before brushing your teeth normally and then thoroughly scrub, going gentle on the gums.
- Repeat this process daily until the symptoms submerge.
Turmeric contains curcumin, a compound renowned for its beneficial properties when dealing with inflammations, swellings, and similar pains. It’s fantastic for soothing the symptoms of gum pain, reducing redness as well as the ache association with it. In other words, turmeric is an excellent natural painkiller.
- Add a little bit of water to 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric until you get a pasty consistency.
- Apply directly to your gums using your clean finger and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Then, gently massage the paste into your gums for an additional minute.
- Finally, rinse thoroughly using warm water and make sure to repeat this treatment daily for the next 1-2 weeks.
5. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil contains anti-inflammatory properties which can bring a safe and quick relief to your swollen and hurting gums. Furthermore, it’s also rich in antibacterial properties that can keep at bay any possible infections that would take advantage of the sensitivity of your oral health. Because of this combo, tea tree oil is definitely among the home remedies for gum pain we recommend.
- Pour 4-5 drops of tea tree oil in a glass of warm water and then stir thoroughly.
- Use this solution as a mouth wash, swirling around for around 30 minutes.
- Then, spit out and rinse your mouth with clean water.
- Repeat this process daily for the next few weeks until your symptoms begin to fade away.
Lemons are rich in citric acid and can also help balance the pH levels in your mouth. This creates an environment that doesn’t allow for the development and growth of infection-causing bacteria. Therefore, lemon juice is one of the most reliable home remedies for gum pain thanks to the aforementioned property which promotes faster healing.
- Create a paste by combining lemon juice with a little bit of salt.
- Using your clean finger, apply directly to your teeth and gums, gently massaging in.
- Leave this paste on for 4-5 minutes and then rinse out with clean, lukewarm water.
- Repeat this every day until you are noticing an improvement.
Cloves are rich in antibacterial and anti-inflammatory compounds. Therefore, they are effective home remedies for gum pain because they have the ability to soothe the ache and bring some relief to the discomfort. It’s also very easy to prepare a clove-based treatment that you can enjoy in your spare time as well.
- Add 1 tablespoon of cloves to 1 glass of water filling a pan and then bring to heat.
- Boil for 2-3 minutes and then turn off the heat, letting the solution steep for 2-3 hours.
- Finally, let it cool down and then fill a water bottle.
- Use this solution as a mouthwash once a day for the next few weeks.
8. Black Tea
Black tea is the best natural source for the compound known as tannis, which is an excellent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent. It will bring relief to the soreness and pain of your gums while simultaneously hacking at malevolent bacteria and boosting your overall oral health.
- Add a bag of black tea to a cup of boiling water and then let it steep for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the tea bag and then let it cool down until you can safely have it touch your skin.
- Press the tea bag over your sensitive area for 10-15 minutes.
- Lastly, rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water and repeat this process daily for the best of effects.
9. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is a popular treatment for dealing with a number of conditions that involve inflammations and swellings. It can greatly soothe pain thanks to its refreshing nature, which is why it’s been one of the most reliable home remedies for gum pain since the oldest of times.
- Split in two an aloe vera leaf and then extract the gel found inside.
- Using a clean finger, gently rub the gel into your gums and teeth for 2-3 minutes.
- Finally, rinse with warm water and make sure to undergo this process daily until you’re noticing improvements.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a powerhouse for oral health. It can help reduce inflammation and swelling while also keeping at bay germs and bacteria that could lead to the growth of a nasty infection. This is all thanks to malic acid, a primary compound found in this particular type of vinegar. As a word of warning, don’t use undiluted apple cider vinegar as the high acidity may damage your teeth.
- Combine 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar with a glass of water and stir thoroughly.
- Use this solution as a mouthwash, swishing around for around 30 seconds.
- Then, spit out and thoroughly rinse using warm water.
- Repeat this treatment daily to get the results that you desire.
Ginger is famous for its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. People have been using it since ancient times to deal with inflammations and infections due to its impressive soothing properties. Ginger is one of the home remedies for gum pain that can bring you certain relief and contribute to your steady recovery.
- Grind some ginger until you form a smooth paste.
- Next, add in about 1/4 of salt and then mix everything thoroughly.
- Finally, using your clean finger, rub onto the sensitive areas and let it sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water and repeat this process daily for the next few weeks to get the effects you desire.
Garlic is an excellent natural painkiller than can really help you reduce the soreness and pain of your gums. It’s an ingredient readily available that you can easily find in most kitchens. Because of its affordability, availability, and effectiveness, garlic makes one of the most potent home remedies for gum pain.
- Grind around 3-4 cloves of garlic until you get a pasty consistency.
- Next, add about 4-5 drops of oregano oil and mix everything thoroughly.
- Apply this mixture directly to the affected areas and let it sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Lastly, rinse with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this treatment for the next few weeks on a daily basis.
13. Cinnamon Oil
Cinnamon is also a natural anti-inflammatory ingredient. It can help reduce swellings and pain, bringing you relief and contributing to your steady healing. You can use both cinnamon powder and cinnamon oil in order to reap the benefits.
- Firstly, dilute some cinnamon oil with jojoba oil in a ratio of 1:20. This is a mandatory step when using cinnamon oil.
- Next, simply dip in a cotton swab in the solution and then gently apply it to the sensitive areas.
- Keep it on for 1-2 minutes and then rinse with water.
- Alternatively, you can add cinnamon powder to your usual toothpaste and a bit of coconut oil.
- Repeat either of these treatments daily until you notice some beneficial results.
Gum pain is a condition that sometimes appears out of nowhere, especially since the possible causes are all so varied. But with the right kind of guidance from a dentist combined with the benefits of some effective home remedies for gum pain, you can slowly put it behind you. Which of these treatments are you going to try out first? And do you have another fantastic remedy that you would have liked to see on the list? Let us know in the comments below!