Slow hair growth can be caused by excessive use of heat styling tools, dry scalp, breakage, split ends, and build up on the scalp. The key to having long hair is to take care of your hair and scalp. This can be done by using fewer heat tools or washing hair with warm water, not hot water. Some of the best products for strong, healthy hair growth may already be in your household. Natural ingredients such as oils and herbs are some of the best home remedies for hair growth. Here are 12 natural and simple home remedies for hair growth.
Use the best home remedies for hair growth to prevent hair loss and deterioration!
1. Olive Oil
Olive oil is a good, natural resource for hair growth because it conditions, softens and strengthens dry, damaged hair. Research has shown that olive oil can fight against the hormone dihydrotestosterone (DHT) which is mainly responsible for the male pattern baldness. The oil prevents the hormone from attacking and reducing the hair follicle size, promoting the natural hair growth. Also, it contributes to reversing hair loss.
- Use 1/4 to 1/2 cup of olive oil and coat the hair from root to tip.
- Massage the scalp to stimulate blood through the skin. Blood circulation can help with hair growth.
- Allow the oil to soak the hair for at least 20 minutes.
2. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has antibacterial and antifungal properties which aid in protecting the scalp from dandruff, which can slow down hair growth. TrueHairGrowth.com states that lauric acid, a major component of coconut oil gives the oil its protective properties. Lauric acid is a fatty acid that easily binds hair proteins thus helping in protecting roots of hair strands and preventing hair breakage.
- Apply coconut oil just as you would a conditioner, using just enough to cover the hair and scalp.
- Let it stay in the hair for a minimum of 20 minutes. With any natural, deep conditioning hair treatment, it is alright to let it stay in the hair overnight.
- Wash your hair, using shampoo and condition as you normally would.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
According to author Paul Bragg, “the high acidity (organic malic acid) plus the powerful enzymes in apple cider vinegar kill the bottle bacillus, a germ responsible for many scalp and hair conditions … (including) dandruff, itching scalp, thinning hair and often baldness.” This is one of the most affordable home remedies for hair growth and it can be purchased at most grocery stores. Apple cider vinegar can be used to rinse the hair during a shower.
- Dilute the apple cider vinegar with water by mixing a ratio of 1 to 1.
- Wash your hair with shampoo and rinse with water, then rinse it with the diluted vinegar mixture.
- Allow it to stay in the hair for five minutes before washing out.
An easy deep conditioning hair mask can be made with honey. This one of gentlest home remedies for hair growth. Honey is full of antioxidants and nutrients that benefit hair growth. Honey is an emollient, meaning that it works as a natural hair softener.
- Mix 1/4 cup raw honey with 1-2 tablespoons of water. The water will help thin it down so that it’s easier to work through the hair. An even better alternative to water is olive oil or coconut oil.
- Leave the hair mask in for 10 to 20 minutes before washing it out.
The proteins and amino acids found in avocados can help strengthen the hair as well as soften it. Generally, the cause of hair loss or slow hair growth is a lack of vitamin. As avocados have a high content of vitamins E and B, they are ideal for protecting and strengthening the hair. Both vitamin B and E are vital for hair growth and the health of the scalp, making avocados a great home remedy for this problem.
This hair growth home remedy makes a great natural conditioner, and like the honey mask, it can be mixed with oils. It is best prepared by blending it in an electric blender or food processor until the mixture is smooth. Just mixing it by hand can leave clumps that get caught in the hair and are difficult to wash out.
- Measure 1 to 2 teaspoons of the preferred oil.
- Cut an avocado in half and take out the pit.
- Mix the oil and avocado together, then apply it to the hair as a conditioner.
6. Rosemary Hair Rinse
According to “The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy” by Valerie Ann Worwood, “Rosemary oil stimulates cell division and dilates blood vessels and, in turn, stimulates hair follicles into producing new hair growth.” The leaves contain ursolic acid which helps to increase circulation on the scalp. More circulation sends oxygen and nutrients straight to the hair follicles, promoting healthier growth. Rosemary can be prepared as a hair rinse.
- Take 4 to 5 tablespoons of dried rosemary leaves and add them to 2 cups of boiling water.
- Cover it with a lid so that the essential oils don’t evaporate in the steam.
- Wait for it to cool off and then strain the leaves out.
- Use it when next time you shower. It can help remove product build up as well as leave your hair soft and shiny.
7. Fenugreek Seed Mask
Fenugreek seeds contain phosphorus, niacin, and potassium. These all help nourish the hair and keep strengthen the hair follicles. According to hairgrowthreview.com a “chemical analysis of fenugreek seeds have revealed a large quantity of proteins which nourish the hair follicle and diminish the chances for hair shedding. The protein, along with the nicotinic acid, strengthens the hair root, thus stopping hair loss and stimulating hair growth”.
- Measure 2 teaspoons of Fenugreek seeds.
- Measure 1/4 cup of coconut milk.
- Mix in the ingredients in a blender or electric mixer until smooth.
- Massage the mixture into the hair, covering it from root to tip.
- Leave it in for 20 minutes.
8. Egg Hair Mask
Adding proteins to the hair can help aid in slow hair growth and breakage due to dryness. Egg yolks are full of protein which can strengthen the hair shafts and fat which makes a good moisturizer. They are also rich in vitamins, being one the few foods that naturally contains vitamin D. A deficiency in vitamin D can lead to hair loss or slow growth.
- Crack two eggs and separate the yolks.
- Mix the egg yolks with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Massage the mixture into the hair just and let it sit for 20 minutes. You can wear disposable gloves for this hair mask.
- Wash it out with regular shampoo and conditioner.
9. The Inversion Head Massage
The inversion method is a kind of head massage in which you turn your head upside down and rub your scalp. To do this, you can sit down with your knees apart, and lower your head between your knees. Alternately, you can lie on your bed and let you head hang over the bedside. For the best results, use natural moisturizers, such as high-quality olive oil to massage your scalp. This method is one of the easiest home remedies for hair growth.
- Apply the chosen natural moisturizer (use olive, rosemary or almond oil) to your palms.
- Rub the oil into your scalp, with your head hanging down for 4 to 7 consecutive minutes.
- Use circular movements to increase the blood flow to the scalp and hair follicles, stimulating hair growth.
10. Aloe Vera
One of the most common home remedies for hair growth, Aloe Vera is another plant that increases scalp circulation. It can activate hair growth and balance the pH level in the scalp. Aloe Vera also has anti-fungal properties which help stop and prevent dandruff. It enhances shine and suppleness, plus it works as a natural conditioner without leaving a greasy build up. To use Aloe Vera in your hair:
- Measure 1/4 cup almond oil or honey.
- Measure 1/2 cup of Aloe Vera gel.
- Mix the ingredients together.
- Apply the mixture on the scalp and leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes.
11. Peppermint Oil Scalp Massage
Peppermint oil is an essential oil proven to help stimulate hair growth. It also works as an astringent and helps to remove excess sebum from the scalp, allowing the pores to breathe. The oil can help relieve a dry scalp or oily scalp. Peppermint oil needs to be diluted with either water or another oil. Olive oil or almond oil is fine.
- Mix 2 drops of peppermint oil with 2 teaspoons water or olive oil.
- Massage it into the scalp and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Wash the oil it out and condition the hair as normal.
12. Lemon Juice and Onion
Lemon juice is full of nutrients like calcium, vitamin C, pectin, and magnesium. The nutrients can strengthen and add shine to dry hair. As onion is rich in sulfur, it can improve blood circulation in the scalp and offer nourishment to the hair follicles. Due to its anti-bacterial properties, onion also fights scalp infections that may lead to hair loss. This onion and lemon juice paste is one of the best home remedies for hair growth.
- Peel 1 onion and chop it into small pieces.
- Use a food processor or blender to form a paste.
- Measure ¼ cup onion paste.
- Measure 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Mix the lemon juice and onion paste together. Massage the mixture into your scalp.
- Leave on for at least 15 minutes and then wash out with shampoo.
In conclusion, there are numerous home remedies for hair growth. Many of them are inexpensive and convenient to find, ensuring that you only use natural ingredients. There are many treatments that can be bought in stores, but they are not always the healthiest options. For best results, use a natural treatment 2-4 times a week. To make sure your hair is always healthy, also check out our home remedies for dandruff. What home remedy is your favorite? You can share it with us below.