Developing a case of hoarse voice is actually a surprisingly normal occurrence that may happen to you. This condition involves temporary ‘loss of voice’ in the sense of a pitch loss or alteration. Usually due to straining your vocal chords (via talking too much, laughing too hard, or shouting a lot), you end up with a voice rougher and lower than usual, one which is nearly reminiscent of whispering. Although it’s usually nothing to worry about, it’s important to make sure to treat this condition as carefully as possible so that you don’t accidentally end up causing damage to your vocal chords. Below, you will read about our biggest home remedies for hoarse voice recommendations. They are items easy to procure, natural, and, most importantly, they will contribute to your recovery.
Keep in mind one major thing, though: the first thing you should do in order to get on the road to recovery is to rest your voice. That means no talking, no singing, and especially no shouting.
Since hoarse voice is often the result of an inflammation located at the level of the vocal chords, it seems pretty logical that the first measure you should take is deal with the inflammation. And ginger is a fantastic way to do it. Being a natural anti-inflammatory remedy, ginger will help soothe the swollen vocal chords, also bringing relief the throat pain that might sometimes result from the state of your vocal chords.
- Add 1 tablespoon of finely-chopped ginger to 1 cup of hot water.
- Let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain, add honey, and drink 3 times a day.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Next up, we have one of the absolute best home remedies for hoarse voice: apple cider vinegar. It’s a natural antiseptic and anti-inflammatory agent, meaning that it’s going to help you on two highly important fronts. On one hand, you’ll be able to deal with the ache and soreness thanks to the soothing properties of the vinegar. Secondly, any possible infections stand no chance as apple cider vinegar is pretty famous for its excellent ability to crush infection-causing bacteria.
- Acquire some organic apple cider vinegar and then mix 2 tablespoons of it in a glass of warm water.
- Stir in some honey to give it a taste that’s less poignant.
- Finally, drink this mixture regularly, preferably on a daily basis, to see the effects kick in.
Garlic contains allicin, a deeply antiseptic compound which makes it one of the best options for those seeking some relief to the irritation and discomfort of a hoarse voice. It’s going to deal with the issue at hand right at the original, aiding your body in fighting off infections and possible bacteria that are more than likely causing this situation. Moreover, it will also help your body flush out toxins, leaving healthier and in better shape to quickly heal.
- Grind a few garlic gloves and then add them to a pot of water.
- Place the pot over the stove and leave it to boil for a few minutes.
- You can add black pepper and cumin seeds to balance out the taste.
- Then, remove from heat and strain.
- Drink the mixture while at room temperature three times a day.
Honey is one of nature’s most potent antiseptics, being able to provide relief to those struggling with this bothersome issue. It will help your vocal chords heal from whatever infection it is that’s causing the inflammation and this condition. Furthermore, its cooling properties will be able to provide relief to the irritation and swellings themselves, therefore dealing with this condition on the surface as well.
- You can simply add 1 tablespoon of honey to a glass of warm water.
- Drink the mixture daily 1 hour before going to bed.
- Add 1 tablespoon of raw honey and the juice of half a lemon to a glass of warm water.
- Drink every morning on an empty stomach.
5. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne peppers are undoubtedly some of the best home remedies for hoarse voice around, all thanks to capsaicin, the primary compound and the reason why cayenne peppers are such excellent anti-inflammatory agents. Not only that, but capsaicin also has thermogenic properties, which means that they can release heat in your body and contribute to the healing of your vocal chords.
- Add half-1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder and mix it with 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Stir everything together to incorporate the two ingredients and then eat it slowly with a small spoon.
Another competent treatment for your issue, turmeric contains curcumin, another compound that people give praise to for the great anti-inflammatory prowess. It can help you deal with the discomfort and pain stemming from the inflammation of the chords while also dealing with the inflammation itself.
- Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric to a container with 1 cup of milk in.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Then, remove from heat and let it cool until it becomes warm.
- Drink it while it’s still warm before bedtime, every day.
Onions are rich in sulfur, something that makes them some of the most efficient home remedies for hoarse voice. They have a nearly unique ability to absorb toxins and to contribute to the cleansing of your body. This is definitely a good thing, in the sense that it will make it possible for your body to fight against the infection and inflammation that much faster. And, yes, you guessed it – it’s the sulfur that does most of the work in this department.
- All you need is a red onion and to squeeze the juice out of it.
- If you’re having trouble tolerating the raw taste of the onion juice, you can always sweeten it with some honey or rock sugar.
- Finally, consume this juice 1 teaspoon at a time, making sure to take small and slow gulps in case you’re dealing with an infection.
8. Lemon Juice
Next up we have lemon juice, which is rich in acidity and vitamin C. Both of these contribute to two specific things. The acid will bring relief to the throat when you’re dealing with pain and inflammation. And vitamin C, alongside other important nutrients and minerals found in lemons, are going to give your body the strength necessary to fend off bacteria and other germs that could be causing an unpleasant infection in your body.
- In a cup which contains some warm water add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Stir everything together really well and then drink the resulting mixture slowly several times throughout the day.
- Alternatively, you could add the juice of 1 lemon to 1/2 cup of warm water and then use the resulting solution to gargle twice daily.
Cinnamon is yet another natural anti-inflammatory ingredient. Aside from being incredibly effective, it’s safely one of the most accessible and affordable home remedies for hoarse voice on this list. Even if you happen to not have any cinnamon lying around your house, it’s really cheap to purchase some.
- Mix 1 and ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder with a cup of warm milk.
- Stir well to incorporate the cinnamon into the entire mass of the milk.
- Furthermore, you may also add honey according to your personal taste in order to make it easier to drink.
- Drink the mixture while it’s still warm.
Consumption of cardamom can greatly help you deal with the symptoms and the cause of hoarse voice at the same time. On one front, cardamom and its compounds will destroy the bacteria behind inflammation and infection. Also, it’s going to provide the relief that you need by dealing with pain and soreness. So, not only is cardamom a great inclusion to meals that can really better flavors, it’s a powerful anti-inflammatory agent.
- Stir ½ teaspoon of cardamom powder into a glass of lukewarm water.
- Drink this mixture at least 30 minutes before bed.
- For the effects to be lasting and really show up, repeat this process on a daily basis.
Licorice root is one of the oldest and most appreciated home remedies for hoarse voice, but not only. Many people have praised it for its incredible anti-inflammatory prowess and we continue to use it today, often as an alternative to other synthetic remedies. Its compounds will destroy bacteria inhabiting your throat and either causing or worsening your situation.
- Add a piece of licorice root to 1 cup of boiling water and let it steep for 15-20 minutes.
- Strain and then drink this solution 2-3 times a day until you notice improvements in your state.
12. Salt Water
Definitely last but not least, salt water is simultaneously one of the easiest but fickle of the remedies. Salt is definitely an excellent purifying agent, but there are some times when this isn’t enough to deal with the issue of a hoarse voice. For the most part, the salt is going to help destroy bacteria causing any infections, though the pain soothing part may not exactly be as available.
- Fill 1 glass with warm water and then stir in 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Stir thoroughly to dissolve the salt completely and then gargle on this mix for 30 seconds.
- Spit out and rinse using clean, normal water.
- Follow through with this remedy once in the morning and once in the evening for the next few days.
Hoarse voice is definitely an issue, especially if your life pretty much literally depends on it – as in, your voice requires talking for performance. Even without that aspect, it’s still a huge nuisance and it’s understandable you want to fix it as soon as possible. Using our recommended home remedies for hoarse voice, you’ll be able to do just that.