Hot flashes are sudden hot sensations felt throughout a person’s skin and are often accompanied by such symptoms of nausea, anxiety, weakness, headaches, rapid heartbeats, and excessive sweating. Most notorious for affecting women undergoing menopause, the body’s lack of estrogen usually trigger hot flashes on a regular basis, making them a common annoyance. However, hot flashes can also be triggered by other factors such as stress, saunas, spicy foods, and lack of physical activity. While over the counter medicine can help ease yourself out of a hot flash, home remedies tend to be much less expensive and in some cases work better overall. Here are just 12 of the many best home remedies for hot flashes you can try to quell the symptoms and side effects once and for all.
Learn how to get rid of hot flash and be comfortable again
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one of the best home remedies for hot flashes. It is very effective in a lot of home remedies. It can help regulate bodily toxins, thus reducing excess sweating. In turn, this can help reduce the frequency of hot flashes and night sweats at a much faster rate than most alternative over-the-counter medicine.
- Dilute 1-2 tablespoons of unfiltered and organic apple cider vinegar.
- Pour into a glass of water or your favorite juice.
- Drink 1-2 times a day until symptoms start disappearing.
A great addition to our list of home remedies for hot flashes is flaxseed due to its high phytoestrogen levels. According to a study from 2007 in which 29 women who suffered from hot flashes consumed 40 grams of crushed flaxseed every day for 6 weeks, the number of hot flashes decreased by nearly half, at 57 percent at the end of the trial. Not to mention, flaxseed can also help reduce muscle and joint pain, improve your overall mood, and reduce sweating.
- Consume at least 1.5 ounces of ground flaxseed in your food daily
- Add a few tablespoons to your smoothie, soup, or yogurt on a daily basis, until your symptoms dissipate
Sage is an age-old remedy to help treat hot flashes. Therefore sage tea is great at reducing your symptoms of hot flashes. Also, it helps with increasing your overall health. Moreover, sage contains volatile oils, tannins, and flavonoids, it can be successfully used as a home remedy for a runny nose as well.
- Boil a cup of water and pour in one teaspoon of sage leaves.
- Let it boil for about 5 minutes and strain.
- Add honey or lemon for extra taste.
- Drink at least 2-3 times daily until symptoms clear.
4. Red Clover
Red clover has estrogen-like properties, this is due to the presence of isoflavones, therefore it can help relieve the symptoms of hot flashes. Isoflavones are plant-based chemicals which have a similar effect on the body as estrogen does.A herbal tea remedy out of red clover can help cure you of hot flashes as well as night sweats from menopause.
- Boil water and pour in 1-2 teaspoons of dried red clover.
- Let steep for 30 minutes and strain into a cup.
- Drink about 2-3 cups daily, depending on the severity of your symptoms.
5. Dong Quai
Most known for its place in traditional Chinese medicine, Dong Quai has been used to treat gynecologic conditions for more than almost 1,200 years. Although some studies have shown that it may not always be successful in reducing symptoms, Chinese medical experts have shown that those tests were not properly conducted. As a note, women who suffer from blood-clotting problems or fibroids should not try this treatment due to complications.
- Boil a cup of water.
- Add a Dong Quai root.
- Strain and consume once a day until symptoms reduce.
One of the best home remedies for hot flashes is ginseng. It can also help with other menopause symptoms such as restless sleep and mood symptoms. This is largely due to the small quantities of estrone, estriol, and estradiol that are present in ginseng root. They have the same effect as estrogen on a woman’s body, which helps to quell some of the symptoms of menopause.
- Boil a cup of water.
- Pour in 2-3 grams of chopped Ginseng root into the water.
- Drain and steep for 5 minutes.
- Drink once a day until symptoms subside.
Soy is known for its ability to balance hormones. It increases estrogenic activity, which makes it an excellent hot flashes home remedy since estrogen levels decrease during menopause. Soy products are available for purchase at most grocery stores. It is found in tofu, edamame, and soy milk. Soy is also available in a supplement form.
- Pour yourself a glass of soy milk.
- Repeat twice a day for as long as you continue to experience the symptoms of menopause.
8. Milk Thistle Seed
Among home remedies for treating hot flashes, we have milk thistle seed which is best known to help relieve erratic mood swings, fibrocystic conditions, PMS, and menstrual irregularities. However, since it is such a powerful antioxidant that can help boost the immune system, consult your doctor for proper dosage. It is one of the incredibly effective home remedies for hot flashes and can help improve the overall symptoms of menopause.
- Grind a cup of milk thistle seeds.
- Add them to your salad combined with lettuce, tomato, etc.
- Consume once a day until symptoms dissipate.
9. Black Cohosh
One of the most widely disputed home remedies for hot flashes is Black Cohosh. Studies have shown that the treatment can produce mixed results, although a majority of women have shown great progress once treated with it. However, some have shown black cohosh can lead to liver problems as well as affecting hormone-sensitive tissue such as the uterus and breast. Studies are still being produced and it is reported as a safe home remedy to try. Consult your doctor to determine if this will be an effective remedy for you.
- Pour approximately 3 small drops of black cohosh into your food.
- Apply every day until your symptoms start disappearing.
10. Lavender Tea
Lavender tea can help treat headaches, muscle spasms, anxiety, and an array of other conditions caused by hormonal changes during menopause. You can purchase pre-made lavender tea bags at your local grocery store or you can purchase lavender buds at a specialty store. However, it’s advised to consume the tea every night before going to bed for best results.
- Boil water and pour in 4 teaspoons of lavender buds.
- Drain and let steep for 10 minutes.
- Consume before going to bed once a day.
- Continue this process for up to a month.
11. Evening Primrose Oil
Evening Primrose Oil is a controversial plant considering its effect on hot flashes, most studies have shown little to no reduction in symptoms and a list of side effects which include diarrhea, nausea, and blood blots. It’s best to first consult with your doctor over this home remedy if you are taking any other prescription drugs as it can interact negatively with them. Side effects associated with evening primrose oil are rare and very mild if they do occur. If you experience them, lower your dosage.
- Boil a cup of water.
- Add a few drops of evening primrose oil.
- Consume two times a day.
- It can take up to six months to see real effects of this treatment.
12. Lemon Balm
This is one of the most effective hot flashes home remedies you can try. Lemon Balm is best known to help relax the circulatory and digestive systems. It does this by lowering gas, spasms, upset stomachs, vomiting, heartburn, bloating, and blood pressure. All of these wonderful effects of lemon balm not only reduce hot flashes but also help with some of the other symptoms of menopause.
- Boil water.
- Pour 40 grams of crushed lemon balm leaves into the boiled water.
- Strain and consume every day until symptoms start to disappear.
Home remedies for hot flashes are a great alternative treatment option to help treat yourself at a much more affordable cost with basic home ingredients. Of course, if you start to recognize unfamiliar side effects consult a doctor. You should also talk to them to figure out the proper dosage and whether or not using home remedies is the best option for your condition. If these hot flashes home remedies help ease your symptoms or if you have more remedies that you’d think people should try, feel free to comment below.