The issue of hypothyroidism is unfortunately common, just like its counterpart which is at the other end of the spectrum. This condition involves an underactive thyroid gland, which resolves to metabolism problems and, usually, develops into weight gain. There is a myriad of possible symptoms to this affliction, including the aforementioned weight gain, but also depression, sensitivity to cold, fatigue, dry skin, brittle hair and nails, etc. The best way to deal with hypothyroidism is by following a specific medication routine. However, you can also better your condition if you follow it while also using certain home remedies for hypothyroidism.
Below, you will read about the various natural treatments through which you can make the burdens of this condition easier. They are all healthy, cheap, and easy to acquire. Please note that we don’t recommend following solely these treatments. Only combine them with your prescribed medication.
1. Coconut Oil
Here we have a product that is already pretty famous for having a number of benefits and doing plenty of things for our health. Coconut oil is rich in medium-chain fatty acids, which are compounds that help regulate the functioning of the thyroid to bring it back afloat. Furthermore, it can balance your body’s basal temperature in case you’re also struggling with sensitivity to cold.
- A good option is to simply integrate coconut oil in your everyday cooking. This is going to bring about a number of other health benefits for sure, so it’s all in your best interest.
- A useful recipe is the one that follows. Mix 2 tablespoons of coconut oil with a glass of warm milk. Stir everything and let it sit for 2-3 minutes. Finally, drink this beverage every morning while eating your breakfast.
2. Fish Oils
Fish oils make excellent home remedies for hypothyroidism. You can find them easily, especially since you have a variety to choose from. But most importantly, they all have in common the omega-3 fatty acids in their composition. These acids balance the activity of your thyroid and can also tone down any possible inflammations.
- The simplest and easiest to control method for utilizing these oils is taking fish oil supplements. However, you should always consult your doctor before undergoing this kind of treatment.
- The dosage you need is about 2-3 g of fish oil, whether in capsule form or raw oily form. Furthermore, the best time to take the supplements is 30-60 minutes after waking up and having breakfast.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
There are plenty of militants for the beneficial effects of apple cider vinegar and how it can help those suffering from hypothyroidism. ACV helps with detox, contributes to restoring your body to its normal weight, and it supposedly regulates hormones and gets them to function as per usual. In other words, it’s the kind of product you don’t want to be missing out on.
- Acquire some organic apple cider vinegar and then mix 2 tablespoons of it in a glass of warm water.
- Stir in some honey to give it a taste that’s less poignant.
- Finally, drink this mixture regularly, preferably on a daily basis, to see the effects kick in.
Kelp is perhaps one of the more obscure home remedies for hypothyroidism on this list. It’s a type of brown-colored seaweed which stands out thanks to its high concentration of iodine. This makes it a fantastic help for people whose hypothyroidism stems from iodine deficiency. However, be careful to not undergo a kelp treatment if you suffer from a thyroid autoimmune disorder as it can worsen your condition.
- You will do best undergoing a treatment with kelp supplements
- First, check the maximum dosage of iodine on the label of the bottle and make sure it’s not dangerously high.
- For the liquid kelp supplements, you will need to take roughly 2 teaspoons of it every morning and on an empty stomach.
Ginger’s anti-inflammatory properties make it an excellent candidate for those in need of the perfect remedy for their hypothyroidism to take alongside professional medication. It’s a plant rich in magnesium, potassium, and other nutrients that can help regulate the normal functioning to your thyroid and restore the balance in your body.
- Add some fresh ginger slices to 1 cup of boiling water.
- Next, let this mixture steep for 5 minutes.
- When it’s done, add in a little bit of honey according to taste.
- Drink 2-3 cups of this tea while it’s still warm and keep at it for a few months at least.
6. Evening Primrose Oil
Evening primrose oil has a bunch of compounds that make it one of the home remedies for hypothyroidism you should absolutely give a shot to. Among said compounds, worth mentioning the most are the gamma linoleic acids, which are excellent for raising the thyroid’s hormone levels. In other words, it’s getting to perform better, exactly what you need from an effective treatment.
- We recommend consuming between 2 and 8 grams of evening primrose oil on a daily basis. You can drink it raw or incorporate it with 1/2 teaspoon of honey to create a pleasant taste. Undergo this treatment for 6-12 months.
- However, you should first consult your doctor about this treatment. It’s important to see that your dosage is the right one if you want to see some positive results.
7. Black Walnuts
Black walnuts are also rich in iodine, the substance that you really need in your body if you are to fight against hypothyroidism and its unpleasant symptoms. They can purify your blood by absorbing the toxic compounds, contributing to a faster and better recover. Because of that, black walnuts are the kind of home remedies for hypothyroidism that you should absolutely consider for your well-being.
- All you need to do is consume 1 drop of black walnut tincture every day for the next few months or so.
- It’s enough to digest the tincture directly because of the small quantity.
- This treatment isn’t for women that are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Guggul is a very interesting plant that the Ayurveda has been using for a very long time to treat a number of troublesome disorders and conditions. This, obviously, includes hypothyroidism, which is an ailment that cannot escape the beneficial properties of guggul. It helps raise hormonal levels of your thyroid, thus ensuring its normal functioning once again. However good guggul may be for treating hypothyroidism, be wary that it can interfere with certain medication. More specifically, be careful if you’re taking beta-blockers, estrogen, or birth control pills.
- What you need to do is acquire some guggul extract.
- The daily dosage should be of 25mg, which you could combine with 1 teaspoon of yogurt or honey to make it easier to swallow.
- Repeat this process daily for the next 3-6 months.
- Always consult your doctor before pursuing this treatment.
Nettle actually works for hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism as well. So, if you have any issues with your thyroid in general, you’d do well to give this herb a chance. It has properties that can help regulate the functions of the gland, bringing them back to a point of balance and normalcy. This also happens because of its rich percentage of iodine, which we’ve already established is crucial for fighting this condition.
- Add 1 teaspoon of dried nettle herb to 1 cup of boiling water.
- Let it steep for 10 minutes and then strain.
- Optionally, you could add 1 teaspoon of stevia or honey to give it a more pleasant flavor.
- Consume this mixture every day for the next few months so that you can see some results.
Bladderwrack is a type of seaweed that you can typically find on the coasts of certain oceans or seas. Examples include the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans or the Baltic and the North Sea. And despite its questionable name, it’s actually one of the most effective home remedies for hypothyroidism. It’s an agent with high concentration of iodine, making it ideal for people whose condition stems from a deficiency of this particular nutrient.
- All you should do is consume bladderwrack on a daily basis for the next few months or so.
- You can find dried bladderwrack extracts in various drugstores, which you can take as supplements.
- The dosage you should take is of 600mg every day, which you can split in 2-3 batches throughout it.
- You may combine with some mashed fruits for a better taste.
11. Siberian Ginseng
Siberian ginseng has its own way of helping you deal with hypothyroidism. It specifically stimulates the glands that are aiding the thyroid, such as the thymus and adrenal glands. This way, you will be able to kick start an ‘intervention’ campaign right from the interior of your body. Furthermore, Siberian ginseng also helps with fatigue, a common side effect for those struggling with this particular thyroid issue.
- What you should do is acquire some supplements of Siberian ginseng extract.
- Your daily intake should be of 100-200mg of this extract, consuming it twice a day: once in the morning, once in the evening.
- Consult a doctor before deciding to undergo this treatment.
12. Flaxseed Oil
Flaxseed oil is another source of omega-3 fatty acids, compounds that make some of the best home remedies for hypothyroidism, as we’ve already established. Because of its composition, flaxseed oil helps restore the normal functions of the thyroid, aiding with a series of other symptoms as well. For example, it can help you deal with the likely heart issues that sometimes hypothyroidism causes.
- You simply need to consume the flaxseed oil raw and in its pure form.
- We recommend a dosage of 1 teaspoon of flaxseed oil daily for the next few months.
13. Lemon Balm
Lemon balm is definitely an interesting choice for this list, but that doesn’t negate its beneficial properties. Experts have uncovered that lemon balm can help restore your thyroid’s normal functions. Furthermore, it’s particularly useful in treating hypothyroidism that stems from autoimmune sources. That being said, it’s definitely a remedy that you should consider for the improvement of your health.
- Add 1 teaspoon of lemon balm to 1 cup of boiling water.
- Allow for the balm to stay in the water for 10 minutes.
- Next, consume this mixture 1-2 times a day for the next few months for the best of results.
Hypothyroidism is a condition that makes it gradually more and more difficult to perform normal tasks. It’s no light matter, which is why we recommend doing your best in fighting it. Use either of these home remedies for hypothyroidism to help your usual medication in the battle against this affliction. Afterwards, return and let us know which one of them has worked wonders for you.