An itchy throat can present itself as a mild tickle or a full-fledged discomfort that feels like a mosquito bite to the throat. In most cases, the condition is linked to infections, allergies or environmental irritation. Using home remedies for itchy throat is safer and healthier than over the counter medications. Moreover, natural remedies can get to the underlying issue that is why you must consider the below 12 home remedies for itchy throat.
Try our home remedies for itchy throat and find relief fast
1. Salt Water
- FLAVOR - Real Salt is unlike any salt on earth. It's subtly sweet, never bitter sea salt that makes every bite delicious. First try Real Salt, then try any other salt. The difference will amaze you!
- NATURAL - Unrefined, unprocessed and ancient sea salt with trace minerals and no additives. Natural sea salt just the way nature made it, with nothing added and nothing removed
- HEALTHY - Recommended by doctors! An ancient sea salt recommended by doctors and health professionals for its unique blend of trace minerals
- VARIETY - Variety of packaging, sizing, and salt grain size (powder, fine, kosher, coarse), suitable for different application and use. Convenient refill pouches and shakers, perfect for food storage, and excellent for travel. Makes a practical and memorable gift for an individual or a whole family
- MINED IN USA - Mined in Utah since 1958 from an ancient seabed protected from modern pollution. Compared to Himalayan, Celtic, Tibetan, Malaysian, French, Hawaiian, Irish, and Marine Sea Salts, Real Salt means fewer food miles, ethical labor standards, and sustainable practices along with its addictive sweet-salt taste. The only American Pink and Black Salt.
A thorough gargle with salt water has been used for ages and is proven to be one of the most effective home remedies for itchy throat. The fact is that, like a good scratch is meant to expel the irritant, this remedy can remove irritants and microbes.
- Bring water in a pot to a boil.
- Allow the water to cool until it reaches drinking temperature.
- Pour 8 ounces water into a glass.
- Add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt and mix well.
- Gargle for 15 to 30 seconds at a time until all of the water is gone.
- Be sure to spit after each gargle and do not swallow.
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly.
- Repeat every 2 to 3 hours until symptoms subside.
2. Garlic and Lemon Juice
|GARLIC BULB (20 Pack), FRESH CALIFORNIA SOFTNECK GARLIC BULB FOR PLANTING AND GROWING YOUR OWN...||Check Price|
|Fresh Organic Lemons - 1 Dozen||Check Price|
Most popular for its culinary uses, garlic has some promising medicinal properties. One study found garlic to be more effective against streptococcus than honey, ginger, and lemon, proving its powerful antimicrobial benefits. Additionally, it works even better in conjunction with lemon. Also, to maintain all the antimicrobial properties, they should both be consumed raw.
- Finely grate 1 to 2 cloves of garlic.
- Squeeze the juice of 1 or 2 lemons in a small glass.
- Mix the garlic and lemon juice together.
- Sip the mixture slowly until it’s gone.
3. Honey and Lemon Tea
- HONEST BEEKEEPING - We pride ourselves on delivering the best quality honey possible. We do all our own beekeeping and packaging in order to guarantee the best tasting 100% American honey, from our bees to your table.
- FARM TO TABLE - Honest Raw Honey is committed to producing responsible, sustainable products. Our farmers seek to uphold only the best beekeeping practices for the health of our honey bees and the quality of your honey.
- ALWAYS UNFILTERED - We keep our honey unprocessed and unpasteurized to maintain pure flavor and maximum health benefits. Certified kosher and gluten-free.
- VITAMINS AND MINERALS - Our honey is rich in vital amino acids that support a healthy lifestyle. Give yourself a natural energy boost with enzymes, propolis, and antioxidants - not to mention delicious flavor.
- PALEO SNACK - Honey is a natural sugar substitute for a paleo diet. Add honey to your whole foods diet for a true superfood health boost. Always non-GMO for the highest possible quality.
One of the tastiest home remedies for itchy throat is a soothing cup of honey and lemon tea. The honey works as a soothing anti-microbial while the lemon works to detox the body of waste, toxins and harmful microbes. It’s best to use raw, local or manuka honey for faster relief.
- Boil a cup of water.
- Mix together 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of raw honey in a mug.
- Pour a cup of water into the mug.
- Stir until the mixture is unified.
- Repeat every 3 to 6 hours.
4. Ginger Tea
- 2 lbs. Fresh Ginger Root
- Fresh ginger is a staple in my kitchen. It is an extremely versatile ingredient.
- Ginger can be sliced into planks or matchsticks, chopped, grated, puréed, and minced,
Traditional uses of ginger include soothing the stomach, increasing blood flow and aiding in detoxification. Recently, a study that analyzed the health benefits of ginger found it to also have immune strengthening and anti-inflammatory properties. You can purchase ginger tea bags and steep them at home or you can easily make it entirely by hand.
- Clean the fresh ginger root.
- Grate a small portion of the ginger until you have 1 tablespoon.
- Boil in 2 to 3 cups of water and let it steep for at least an hour.
- Use a strainer to separate the solids from the liquid.
- Add sweetener to taste.
- Consume it daily.
5. Castor Oil
- PROMO- Buy 1 Castor oil receive 20% off our Eyelash growth Empty Mascara Tubes
- GREAT FOR THE SKIN AND HAIR: Rich in vitamins and fatty-acids, castor oil promotes better hair growth and helps nourish and hydrate the skin. 100% NATURAL AND ORGANIC: Produced with the highest quality standards using real castor oil, sourced directly from organic artisanal farmers in India.
- SUITABLE FOR ALL HAIR AND SKIN TYPES: Made using organic, chemical-free substances, the Sky Organics Castor Oil is perfect for all skin and hair types. It is also free from artificial additives and won't cause any allergies and irritations when used.
- COLD-PRESSED OIL: The Organic Castor Oil from Sky organics is cold-pressed without heat or chemical substances like hexane. This way, it retains all the healing properties of the oil, without any harmful additives or ingredients.
- GIVES AMAZING RESULTS: With its natural, healing properties, the Sky Organics Castor Oil will give you incredible results as your hair and skin will immediately absorb its nutrients and thus giving you the best transformation in time. Please note that packaging may vary than the main image.
Perhaps one of the least known home remedies for itchy throat is castor oil. Its traditional uses include reducing inflammation, relieving constipation and dissolving tumors and other growths. That is why it is recommended it to use it if you suffer from a sebaceous cyst. What makes castor oil great for relieving an itchy throat is its impressive ability to penetrate the skin and treat what’s beneath the skin, including the organs. Therefore, when applied to the neck, its anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties can easily penetrate the surface of the skin and promote relief.
- Soak a flannel cloth in castor oil.
- Apply the soaked flannel to the front of the neck.
- Cover with plastic.
- Place a heating pad or hot water bottle over the plastic.
- Remove after 30 minutes.
In some cases, an itchy throat is caused by dryness or dehydration. For example, indoor heating can cause dry air. Also, dry air can further irritate your throat if it was already itchy. Steam can be used to hydrate and soothe your throat.
- GUARANTEED HIGHEST QUALITY, MOST POTENT EUCALYPTUS OIL - What sets Artizen Essential Oils apart are their unparalleled purity and concentration. Natural, with no adulterants or dilution, their oils provide the maximum benefit possible and are uncompromising.
- DON'T FALL VICTIM TO CHEAP DILUTED EUCALYPTUS OIL - Most of the Competition Dilute Their Oil with a Cheap Carrier Oil or Even Other Potentially Dangerous Chemicals. Our Eucalyptus Oil is Routinely Tested for Purity And Other Unique Qualities in Order to Ensure You Are Buying The Purest Oil Available.
- MOST 4 OUNCE EUCALYPTUS OILS CONTAIN LESS THAN 1/3 OF NATURAL OIL - Unfortunately, there's a lot of misrepresentation of the term 100% Oil, However it's usually only 1/3 of the Natural Oil and 2/3 Carrier Oil. BEWARE OF LARGE SIZE BOTTLES & UNREALISTICALLY LOW PRICES.
- HIGH QUALITY GLASS BOTTLES PLUS FREE GLASS DROPPER - We use high quality glass infused with a uv colored coating to protect essential oils against sunlight and degradation. We also provide a free glass dropper to help you easily use just a few drops of oil at a time.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY AND GUARANTEE - The manufacturer, Artizen Essential Oils, offers a lifetime warranty and guarantee on their product. If you are ever unsatisfied for any reason they will replace your product or refund your money. And they stand behind and guarantee the purity of their oils.
- Fill a large pot or bowl with 6 to 8 cups of hot (not boiling) water.
- Add a few drops of peppermint or eucalyptus essential oil to help open airways (optional).
- Place the bowl on a steady surface, and hover over the bowl.
- Cover the bowl and your head with a large towel to trap the steam.
- Inhale and exhale for 8 to 10 minutes.
- 100% Organic Natural Turmeric Root Powder with Curcumin for Higher Absorption with high therapeutic value, Improves digestion and a known Indian Seasoning.
- Plant based Turmeric Supplement Increases the Antioxidant Capacity of the Body, boosts Brain Function, lowers Risks of Heart Disease.
- Made in India with GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) Certified Facility with No Filler, No Binders and No Artificial Ingredients, Reduces cholesterol level, thereby preventing many cardiovascular diseases.
- With Anti Inflammatory properties it also relieves and prevent Joint aches and back pain, Helps in weight loss and reduces the occurrence of obesity-related diseases.
- Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free Whole Turmeric supplement supports liver health, promotes cognitive function and memory.
This golden spice has treated all sorts of ailments for thousands of years. Moreover, it also has the ability to decrease pathogens, assist with digestive disorders, and reduce inflammation. Therefore, it can be used in treating acid reflux. This remedy can help reduce inflammation that often occurs with a scratchy throat and also kill foreign organisms that may be the cause. In addition, the heat will soothe the throat and reduce inflammation.
- Bring 2 cups of non-dairy milk to a boil.
- Pour in 1 tablespoon of powdered turmeric.
- Let the mixture cool before pouring into a mug.
- Drink 1 cup 1 to 2 times a day.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar
- Rich in enzymes & potassium.
- Support a healthy immune system.
- Promotes digestion & ph Balance.
- Relieves muscle pain from exercise
- Soothes irritated skin.
Apple cider vinegar is one of the easiest to make home remedies for itchy throat since it’s in virtually every household cupboard. It works by balancing the throat’s pH. In fact, ailments are often linked to acidic environments, and apple cider vinegar, though it tastes acidic, has an alkalizing effect once consumed. Furthermore, one study authenticates its strong antimicrobial and antioxidant properties. Though the taste is pungent, it definitely worth a try.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar with 1 cup of water.
- Use ACV with the mother, which includes beneficial bacteria,
- Drink twice daily.
9. Hydrogen Peroxide
- Contains 1 - 32 oz bottle of food grade hydrogen peroxide
- It Works! The ultimate cleaner for 1st AID cuts and scrapes; BODY ears, throat and diffusers; HOUSEHOLD counters, surfaces, cutting boards, laundry, stains, toothbrush and baby gear; FOOD nuts, seeds, grains, veggies, fruit, meat, fish and chicken; PETS oral care and skunk odor; and PLANTS vase water and sprouts
- It's Clean! Free of toxic stablizers found in brown bottle peroxide. NON GMO. Great for homes with gray water systems
- It's Safe! Won't burn like 35% or even 6% H202
- It's Regenerative! It's good for the environment making grass greener and oceans cleaner
Hydrogen peroxide is one of the go-to remedies for skin abrasions for its ability to break down the cell walls of microbes, thus preventing infections. It’s an effective way to prevent infections of the ears, nose, and throat, that is why it is present on our list of home remedies for earache. It is safe to use food grade peroxide, but over-the-counter H2o2 solutions contain harmful additives.
- Lie on one side and use a dropper to insert 3% food grade hydrogen peroxide.
- Let the ear drain when the fizzing stops.
- Turn and repeat on the other side.
- Gargle with 1/2 cup of 3% food grade hydrogen peroxide.
- Try not to swallow the substance.
- Repeat morning and night.
10. Vitamin C with Grapefruit and Orange
|BulkSupplements Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) Powder (1 kilogram)||Check Price|
|Organic Mountain Navel Oranges 1 Dozen (12)||Check Price|
Out of all the home remedies for itchy throat, vitamin C is one of the fastest cures if taken in adequate quantities. Specialists state that the daily recommendation is 75 mg for women and 90 mg for men. However, when it comes to an itchy throat, increasing the dosage to 2,000 mg (stated to be the maximum to avoid digestive side-effects) will lead to speedy recovery. The best way to absorb vitamin C supplements is to take them with citrus fruits such as grapefruits or oranges.
- Add the flesh of 1 grapefruit and 2 oranges to a blender.
- Adding the peel is optional, and will boost the health benefits.
- Add 1500 to 2,000 mg of vitamin C supplement (preferably powder).
- Add non-dairy milk.
- Blend until smooth.
- Repeat each day until the itchiness stops.
11. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has gained notoriety for its antibacterial properties. This multipurpose oil can be used to moisturize and clean the hair and skin, as well as oil pulling and cooking. If you have dry skin you can also use it periodically. Meanwhile, gargling with coconut oil can yield benefits by eradicating microbes in the throat.
- Measure a tablespoon of cold pressed, organic coconut oil.
- Gargle for as long as possible without swallowing.
- Repeat as needed.
12. Vapor Rub
- Lipstick, Intensity
- Mineral Fusion
Last on the list of home remedies for itchy throat is the tried and true vapor rub. Most vapor rubs contain camphor, a substance made from tree bark. Camphor is a substance that reduces itching and pain and increases blood flow. Vapor rub can be used to reduce itching through inhalation or applying it topically to the neck. Do not take internally since camphor can be toxic.
- Apply a warm cloth to the neck for 5 minutes.
- Rub vapor rub onto the front of the neck in circular motions.
- Repeat when needed.
As you can see, home remedies for itchy throat are easy to find in the comfort of your own home. Whichever remedy you choose, symptoms should subside within a week. You may also want to try more than one of the listed remedies to increase your likelihood of seeing results within a shorter time frame. If your itchy throat still persists after a week, please seek advice from a medical professional. Which one of the above worked for you?