Joint pain is a relatively common condition which can affect pretty much anyone due to the variety of the factors that could potentially cause it. They vary from particular afflictions such as osteoarthritis or gout to accidents or ligament injuries. Often, joint pain comes with swelling, redness, and stiffness as well. Technically, the pain shouldn’t last longer than three days and if it does, it’s mandatory to consult a doctor immediately. In the meantime, you can turn to certain home remedies for joint pain to help you soothe its symptoms. Below, you will find a comprehensive list of the best natural treatments that you can perform from the comfort of your own home.
Turmeric contains curcumin, a compound that acts as effectively as ibuprofen in fighting off inflammations and infections. It has the ability to soothe swellings and to bring some relief to the throbbing pain in your joints. Before utilizing this remedy, make sure to consult your doctor since curcumin may interfere with other medication such as blood thinners.
- Warm up a glass of milk.
- Next, mix in 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and a little bit of honey, according to taste.
- Stir everything well to incorporate everything in a mixture.
- Lastly, drink a glass of this substance daily for the next few days at least.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has properties which allow it to eliminate toxins that have accumulated in your joints and connective tissue. Furthermore, it also has natural anti-inflammatory abilities, which can soothe the soreness and ache. For this reason, many consider ACV to be one of the most reliable home remedies for joint pain you could use.
- Mix together 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Massage this solution directly onto the sensitive area, attempting gentle circular motions.
- Keep doing this for 4-5 minutes.
- Lastly, make sure to repeat this treatment several times throughout the day to see the symptoms gradually fade away.
3. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper is one of the best natural sources for capsaicin, a compound that is particularly effective in treating inflammations and swellings. Many people have been using capsaicin-based treatments for all kinds of aches and sores, making cayenne peppers excellent home remedies for joint pain.
- Heat up 1 1/2 cup of coconut oil until it’s simply warm.
- Add in 2 tablespoons of cayenne pepper powder and mix everything together.
- Slather over the affected area and then leave it on for around 20 minutes.
- Lastly, wash off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this treatment several times a day for a few days.
4. Fenugreek Seeds
When consumed, fenugreek seeds release warmth for your muscles and tissues. And warmth is an excellent remedy for pain and inflammations. Therefore, fenugreek seeds are excellent natural anti-inflammatory agents, which you can safely use to deal with the discomfort of joint paint.
- Add 2 teaspoons of fenugreek seeds to a glass of water and then let them soak overnight.
- In the morning, strain the seeds and then eat them on an empty stomach.
- Repeat this process several times for the next few days to help your joints heal.
5. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt contains a high percentage of magnesium, a mineral that is absolutely necessary to the strength and health of your joints. Therefore, Epsom salt is a fantastic remedy which will help soothe the joint pain by promoting the regeneration of your joints and bones. Furthermore, the warm water associated with an Epsom salt bath will accelerate the healing process even more.
- Fill your tub with hot water.
- Next, add around 2 cups of Epsom salt to it and then spread it thoroughly throughout the mass of the water.
- Soak in this bath for around 20 minutes and you will notice immediate relief.
- Repeat this treatment as many times as you need to start seeing results.
Garlic is one of the most effective home remedies for joint pain thanks to a primary compound: sulfur. Sulfur helps relieve pain and inflammation, thus contributing to the healing of your joints and tissue in a steady but effective way.
- Add 2 garlic cloves to a pan with 2 tablespoons of sesame oil or mustard and fry them.
- Wait until the cloves turn black and then remove from heat, straining the oil.
- Let the oil cool until you can apply it to your skin and then massage onto the sensitive area.
- Leave it on for 3 hours and then rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat daily until you notice improvements in your health.
Dandelion leaves contain linoleic acid, a compound which helps with the healing of damaged tissue as well as with the soothing of pain and inflammation. This essential fatty acid is produced by the body naturally and it’s necessary for triggering immune responses against inflammations and infections.
- To prepare some fresh dandelion tea, start by steeping 3 teaspoons of dandelion leaves in 1 cup of boiling water for up to 10 minutes.
- Afterwards, strain and add honey according to taste to combat the bitterness of dandelion.
- Enjoy 2 cups a day for the effects to kick in.
8. White Willow Tea
Before there was aspirin, there was white willow bark. White willow contains a substance called salicin. When it enters your organism, it acts exactly like the primary active ingredient in aspirin. Therefore, white willow tea is a fantastic substitute that will soothe inflammations, making it one of the best home remedies for joint pain.
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil and then reduce heat to let it simmer instead.
- Add in 2 teaspoons of powdered or chipped white willow bark.
- Next, allow for the bark to infuse for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and then allow the mixture to steep for another 30 minutes.
- Add some honey and lemon to cover the bitter taste.
- Finally, drink twice a day while still warm for proper results.
Ginger has natural anti-inflammatory properties, exactly what you want from the best of home remedies for joint pain. It can bring relief to ache in a safe and effective way, particular for people suffering from joint pain in the knee area.
- Take a ginger root and then cut a small piece.
- Add it to 1 cup of water, place on heat, and then bring to a boil for 10 minutes.
- Cover up and let the mixture steep for an additional 10 minutes.
- Finally, strain and (optional) improve its taste by adding in a little bit of honey.
- Drink this daily until you’re noticing an improvement in your health.
10. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil, when applied topically, can boost circulation, which is crucial to the recovery process for anyone suffering from various kinds of joint pains. It’s also a readily available product that can soothe the ache and bring relief to stiffness. Therefore, coconut oil is definitely among the home remedies for joint pain we recommend.
- Heat 1 cup of coconut oil just enough for it to become warm.
- Apply it to the sensitive area and gently massage for a few minutes.
- Let it sit on the skin for another 10 minutes and then rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this as many times as you need to see relief.
11. Stinging Nettle
Stinging nettle is one of the more recent discoveries in terms of medical wonders. As of now, it’s not clear exactly how it manages to do it, but stinging nettle can alleviate pain in the joint areas. This is probably due to the fact that the herb contains boron, a nutrient that’s crucial to the health of your joints and connective tissue.
- Add 2-3 teaspoons of dried nettle leaves to a cup of hot water.
- Let this mixture steep for 10-15 minutes.
- Finally, strain and drink the tea 3 times a day for the effects to start kicking in.
Peppermint isn’t a long-term powerhouse of a solution, but its cooling properties can provide comfort and relief on a temporary level. It’s excellent when you need is to reduce the pain in your joints caused by some sort of minor injury.
- Mix 5-10 drops of peppermint oil with 5-10 drops of eucalyptus oil.
- Then, blend in with 1-2 tablespoons of a carrier oil of your choice (such as olive, almond, grape seed, or others).
- Rub into your joints to reduce the ache whenever you need it.
- Make sure to store this solution in a dark bottle away from sunlight.
13. Juniper Berry
Prickly and common varieties of juniper have fantastic anti-inflammatory properties that can greatly help people suffering from various conditions which have joint pain as symptoms. Juniper is one of the least known home remedies for joint pain, but it’s definitely not one that you should afford to ignore.
- To prepare some juniper berry tea, start by bringing 1 cup of water to a boil.
- Then, add 1 tablespoon of dried juniper berries in a mug.
- Add the hot water over the berries and then let it all steep for 20 minutes.
- Strain and then add honey (optional) according to taste.
- Drink two cups of this tea daily until your symptoms begin to fade away.
14. Olive Oil
Extra virgin olive oil, in particular, is one of the best home remedies for joint paint you could use. For starters, it adds lubrication to your joints, helping with the issue of stiffness. Secondly, it contains oleocanthal, a substance which helps reduce swellings and inflammations.
- Heat up a little bit of olive oil until it’s just slightly warm.
- Massage it into the sensitive area for up to 5 minutes.
- Let it sit for an additional of 5 minutes and then rinse with clean water.
- Repeat as many times as you need for the pain to submerge.
Joint pain is definitely pretty unpleasant to deal with, especially since it can have so many possible causes. The home remedies for joint pain we’ve recommended are affordable and accessible, making them very easy to acquire and really effective. Don’t forget to consult your doctor about this issue, however, especially if your pain is also joined by redness. Utilize these remedies as continuations of a medically prescribed treatment if it’s a persisting issue.