Home remedies for kidney stones are of great interest from individuals suffering from this health issue. According to the National Kidney Foundation, 1 in every 10 United States residents will develop a kidney stone at one point in their life. In this situation, you can understand why solutions for dissolving kidney stones and home remedies for kidney stones in women and home remedies for kidney stones in men alike are all on the rise. While the U.S. National Library of Medicine proposes Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy/ Nephrolithotripsy, Shock Wave Lithotripsy or Ureteroscopy, some basic symptoms of kidney stones can be alleviated with the help of home remedies for kidney stones.
Natural Home Remedies for Kidney Stones
One of the most reliable home remedies for kidney stone pain is readily available in any household. Simply increasing your water intake can work wonders for pain relief and improving your all-around health. It is essential, however, to drink clean, filtered water and not that which comes directly from your tap. Tap water has high chances of being contaminated and aggravating your disease further.
- Pay attention to your daily water consumption. You should drink at least 8 full glasses (8 oz.) of water every day.
- If you have any troubles drinking plain water, you can add a bit of lemon or honey for taste.
- Contact your doctor if you ever feel severe pain, regardless of your water intake.
2. Nettle Leaf
If you’re looking for an herbal home remedy for kidney stone pain, nettle leaf should be one of the priorities on your shopping list. Praised as a reliable diuretic, nettle leaves are effective home remedies for kidney stones owing to their antibacterial properties and power to assist water flowing through this internal organ.
Source: Blausen.com staff. “Blausen gallery 2014”. Wikiversity Journal of Medicine. DOI:10.15347/wjm/2014.010. ISSN 20018762.
- The best way to consume nettle leaf is by making tea. Boil 1 glass of water for starters.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of leaves (preferably dried).
- Leave it for around ten minutes and repeat twice on a daily basis.
3. The Stone Breaker
When you hear that a home remedy for passing kidney stones is known as ‘the stone breaker’, you can imagine the impact it has. The herbal remedy called Chanca Piedra does not only offer quick relief, but it’s also reputed for breaking down kidney stones altogether. If you’re interested in using this remedy, this is what you have to do:
- Heat 3 cups of water until it starts to boil.
- Put in one tablespoon of chanca piedra.
- Let it steep for about fifteen minutes.
- Strain and enjoy.
4. Whole Grains
Regardless if you’re looking for home remedies for kidney stones in men or women, you can never go wrong with wheat and whole grains. Thanks to the fact that they’re packed with fiber, minerals and vitamins, whole grains are widely considered to be some of the best home remedies for kidney stones there are.
- Create a list of the whole grains you like the most. Some options may be:
- Bran flakes
- Whole grain bread
- Try to fit them into your meals on a daily basis. You can enjoy a bowl of whole grain cereal for breakfast or add bread to the side of your lunches and dinners.
- As with any long-term home remedy, you should always seek your doctor’s advice for your specific case in advance.
If you do some research on the health benefits of wheatgrass, you will instantly understand why it’s appreciated by most to be a top home remedy for passing kidney stones. Wheatgrass is extremely rich in nutrients like potassium, amino acids and magnesium, all highly sought-after ‘ingredients’ in home remedies for kidney stones.
- Add 1 teaspoon of basil juice and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice to 1 glass of wheatgrass juice.
- Mix well.
- Drink 2 to 3 times on a daily basis.
6. Olive Oil & Lemon
Some home remedies for a kidney stone work best when combined. This is the case for olive oil and lemon, two amazing ingredients that can leave you pain-free in no time. While lemon effectively attacks the calcium content of kidney stones and speeds up dissolution, olive oil assists the process by helping them pass.
- Make freshly-squeezed lemon juice to fill about a quarter of a cup.
- Add an equal part of olive oil and stir.
- As an option, mix in some apple cider vinegar for even better effects.
- Drink several times every day for a couple of days until you start seeing results.
Isn’t it funny how kidney beans are home remedies for kidney stones? Amusing as it may be, you should know that this home remedy for kidney stones pain is definitely one you can count on. Fiber, protein and countless minerals all come in kidney beans and can help you get rid of the discomfort and eliminate the stones.
- Take as many kidney beans as you’d like and add them to a pot of hot water.
- Let them cook until they soften and strain them afterwards.
- Drink the resulted liquid multiple times throughout the day.
- As an alternative, add more kidney beans into your diet as side dishes or ingredients for soups or salads.
As far as home remedies for dissolving kidney stones are in discussion, we can’t omit dandelion root as a recommendation. This natural alternative works as a tonic for your kidney and supports healthy digestion. To effectively consume dandelion root, you should consider dandelion root tea.
- Thinly slice a dandelion root until you get the equivalent of two teaspoons.
- In the meantime, allow a quarter liter of water to boil.
- Add the dandelion root and wait about a minute for it to simmer.
- Let it steep for roughly half an hour and drink when cooled.
9. Healthy Diet
A study published in European Urology in July 2012 reveals that individuals who had diabetes or were obese were strongly associated with a history of kidney stones. With this information in mind, you can imagine why some of the best home remedies for passing kidney stones pain are related to a well-balanced diet.
- In addition to drinking water in abundance daily, add the following nutrients to your diet:
- Vitamins (like B6 or A)
- Exercise on a regular basis.
- Avoid drinking sugary drinks or consuming sugar or salt in excess.
10. ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar)
By far, the best home remedy for kidney stones and a great number of general health issues is the super hero ACV, short for apple cider vinegar. What makes ACV one of the top home remedies for kidney stones is that it’s literally overflowing with health benefits, like detoxifying, antiseptic and antibacterial properties.
- Use 2 teaspoons of ACV with ½ teaspoon of baking soda daily.
- Add 2 teaspoons of honey to 1 teaspoon of ACV.
- Use the lemon juice and olive oil combination with ACV.
Another one of the fine natural home remedies for kidney stones is bearberry, scientifically identified as uva ursi. This healthy solution works by softening your kidney stones and shielding kidneys from infection. Bearberry can be consumed either in the form of tea or supplements.
- If you choose to take uva ursi supplements, make sure you consume 500 mg 3 times every day.
- For uva ursi tea, you should start seeing results after drinking 3 cups daily for 3 days.
- If the stone persists after taking uva ursi, make sure you contact your doctor immediately.
One home remedy for stone in kidney that is quite delicious is watermelon. Not only does watermelon’s power of hydration recommend it as one of the most trustworthy home remedies for kidney stones, but it also contains impressive amounts of potassium, carbonates, magnesium and more amazing nutrients.
- Incorporate as much watermelon as you can into your diet. You can:
- Drink watermelon juice
- Eat raw watermelon
- Make watermelon seed tea
- If you still feel pain after a few days of frequent watermelon consumption, contact your medical specialist.
As you have already discovered in our Home Remedies for Stones in Kidney article, lemon juice for kidney stones works like a charm. In fact, lemonade and citrus juices are acclaimed for preventing calcium from forming. As a result, your risk of developing kidney stones lowers.
- Drink as much lemonade or citrus juices as you can. Some alternatives for lemonade are:
- Orange juice
- Grapefruit Juice
- Lime juice
- If your kidney stones don’t pass or the pain doesn’t lower in a few days, reach out to your doctor for additional assistance.
Pomegranates are some other home remedies for stone in kidney that you will certainly enjoy taking. The astringent health benefits found in the juice and the seeds lead you to a speedy recovery.
- Drink at least 1 full glass of fresh pomegranate juice every day.
- Alternatively, eat 1 pomegranate on a daily basis.
Basil is one of the home remedies for kidney stones pain relief you can always look into, owing to its detoxifying and diuretic properties. With the help of basil, stones are successfully eliminated from your kidney.
- Prepare a cup of basil tea from fresh leaves and enjoy frequently.
- Boil the leaves for about ten minutes to get this remedy right.
- You can always add a bit of honey for taste.
Numerous home remedies for kidney stone removal point to fruits, vegetables or other foods that are high in magnesium. Medically speaking, magnesium is known for inhibiting the formation of crystals and kidney stones.
- Add more magnesium-rich foods into your diet. A few examples would be:
- Brown rice
- Alternatively, take magnesium supplements for as long as your doctor recommends you to. In this regard, we strongly recommend that you speak to a medical professional who knows your history before taking magnesium supplements.
If you’re hunting for a herbal home remedy for kidney stones to pass that you can rely on, horsetail just might do the trick for you. A study conducted by the University of Maryland Medical Center showed that horsetail increases the amount of urine output, flushing out kidney stones.
- Like with many other herbal remedies, horsetail can be taken as a supplement or enjoyed as tea. For supplement users, make sure you take two grams of horsetail every day.
- To make horsetail tea, boil and steep as you normally would with a homemade tea. Make sure you drink it on a daily basis.
- Get in touch with your doctor if you don’t feel any changes in one week.
Another great home remedy for kidney pain is parsley. This nutrient super hero is commonly used for cleansing both the kidney and the liver, so you can understand why it is a favorite choice for individuals with kidney stones. Its antioxidant properties, high beta-carotene content and abundance of minerals will get you back on the right track in no time.
- Brew a pot of parsley and lemon juice tea to consume two times weekly.
- You can also add parsley to your salads and home-cooked meals to enjoy its benefits even more.
- Of course, your doctor should be the first one you call if you experience persisting pain.
Among our favorite home remedies for kidney stones, we can also find celery. This yummy veggie is a fine diuretic that can help you get rid of those painful stones.
- Frequently enjoy celery as a snack between meals.
- Juice some celery and enjoy this natural beverage daily.
- Add celery to your meals.
Last but not least, countless home remedies for kidney stones contain fiber-packed food.
- You should simply get as much fiber as you can. Here are some great sources:
To wrap up our guide, you have numerous home remedies for kidney stones to choose from. Whether you choose readily-available solutions like water, lemon juice or olive oil or you venture into interesting herbs like bearberry, horsetail or chanca piera, you can experiment with any of the remedies on our list. However, we strongly recommend that you seek professional medical attention if no pain is alleviated.
How about you? What remedy worked best in your case? Share your experience in the comments below!
Image sources: no attribution required unless stated otherwise in photo captions.