Home remedies for kidney stones are of great interest for individuals suffering from this health issue. According to the National Kidney Foundation, 1 in every 10 United States residents will develop a kidney stone at one point in their life. In this situation, you can understand why solutions for dissolving kidney stones and home remedies for kidney stones in women and men alike are on the rise. Read on to see our list of the best home remedies for kidney stones.
Our natural home remedies for kidney stones will help you feel better soon
One of the most reliable home remedies for kidney stone pain is readily available in any household. Simply increasing your water intake can work wonders for pain relief and improving your all-around health. It is essential, however, to drink clean, filtered water and not that which comes directly from your tap. Tap water has high chances of being contaminated and aggravating your disease further.
- Drink at least 8 full glasses (8 oz.) of water every day.
- Add a bit of lemon or honey for taste if you do not like plain water.
*Contact your doctor if you ever feel severe pain, regardless of your water intake.
2. Nettle Leaf Tea
If you’re looking for an herbal home remedy for kidney stone pain, nettle leaf should be one of the priorities on your shopping list. Praised as a reliable diuretic, nettle leaves are effective home remedies for kidney stones owing to their antibacterial properties and power to assist water flowing through this internal organ.
- Boil 1 glass of water.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of nettle leaves (preferably dried).
- Leave it for around ten minutes then drink.
- Repeat twice on a daily basis.
3. Chanca Piedra
This home remedy for passing kidney stones is popularly known as ‘the stone breaker’. The herbal remedy called Chanca Piedra does not only offer quick relief, but it’s also reputed for breaking down kidney stones altogether. If you’re interested in using this remedy, below is what you have to do.
- Heat 3 cups of water until it starts to boil.
- Put in one tablespoon of dried Chanca Piedra.
- Let it steep for about 15 minutes.
- Strain and enjoy.
4. Whole Grains
Regardless if you’re looking for home remedies for kidney stones in men or women, you can never go wrong with wheat and whole grains. Thanks to the fact that they’re packed with fiber, minerals, and vitamins, whole grains are widely considered to be some of the best home remedies for kidney stones there are.
- Fit as many of your favorite whole grains as you can into your daily meals: Bran flakes, Spaghetti, Whole grain bread, etc.
- You can enjoy a bowl of whole grain cereal for breakfast or add bread to the side of your lunches and dinners.
- As with any long-term home remedy, you should always seek your doctor’s advice for your specific case in advance.
5. Wheatgrass Juice
If you do some research on the health benefits of wheatgrass, you will instantly understand why it’s appreciated by most to be a top home remedy for passing kidney stones. Wheatgrass is extremely rich in nutrients like potassium, amino acids, and magnesium, all highly sought-after ‘ingredients’ in home remedies for kidney stones.
- Make 1 glass of wheatgrass juice.
- Add 1 teaspoon of basil juice and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Mix well.
- Drink 2 to 3 times on a daily basis.
6. Olive Oil & Lemon
Some home remedies for a kidney stone work best when combined. This is the case for olive oil and lemon, two amazing ingredients that can leave you pain-free in no time. While lemon effectively attacks the calcium content of kidney stones and speeds up dissolution, olive oil assists the process by helping them pass.
- Make freshly-squeezed lemon juice to fill about a quarter of a cup.
- Add an equal part of olive oil and stir.
- Drink several times every day for a couple of days until you start seeing results.
Is funny how kidney beans are home remedies for kidney stones. Amusing as it may be, you should know that this home remedy for kidney stones pain is definitely one you can count on. Fiber, protein and countless minerals all come in kidney beans and can help you get rid of the discomfort and eliminate the stones.
- Take as many kidney beans as you’d like and add them to a pot of hot water.
- Let them cook until they soften and strain them afterward.
- Drink the resulted liquid multiple times throughout the day.
- Add more kidney beans to your diet as side dishes or ingredients for soups or salads, as an alternative.
8. Dandelion Root Tea
As far as home remedies for dissolving kidney stones are in discussion, we can’t omit dandelion root as a recommendation. This natural alternative works as a tonic for your kidney and supports healthy digestion. To effectively consume dandelion root, you should consider dandelion root tea.
- Put quarter liter of water to boil.
- Add 2 teaspoons dandelion root tea.
- Wait about a minute for it to simmer.
- Let it steep for roughly half an hour and drink when cooled.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar
By far, the best home remedy for kidney stones and a great number of general health issues is the super hero apple cider vinegar. What makes this one of the top home remedies for kidney stones is that it’s literally overflowing with health benefits, like detoxifying, antiseptic and antibacterial properties.
- Drink 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar with half a teaspoon of baking soda daily.
- Add 2 teaspoons of honey to 1 teaspoon of ACV.
Another one of the fine natural home remedies for kidney stones is bearberry, scientifically identified as Uva Ursi. This healthy solution works by softening your kidney stones and shielding kidneys from infection. Bearberry can be consumed either in the form of tea or supplements.
- For tea boil 750 ml of water.
- Add 1 1/2 grams of dried Uva Ursi.
- Drink 3 times a day for 3 days.
- Make sure you consume 500 mg 3 times every day if you choose to take Uva Ursi supplements.
*If the stone persists after taking Uva Ursi, make sure you contact your doctor immediately.
One home remedy for stone in kidney that is quite delicious is watermelon. Not only does watermelon’s power of hydration recommend it as one of the most trustworthy home remedies for kidney stones, but it also contains impressive amounts of potassium, carbonates, magnesium and other amazing nutrients.
- Add one teaspoon of watermelon seeds to one cup of boiling water.
- Let steep for about 15 minutes.
- Drink at least one cup of tea per day, 3 times a week.
- Drink watermelon juice whenever you can.
- Eat raw watermelon as well.
*If you still feel pain after a few days of frequent watermelon consumption, contact your medical specialist.
As you have already discovered so far lemon juice for kidney stones works like a charm. In fact, lemonade and citrus juices are acclaimed for preventing calcium from forming. As a result, your risk of developing kidney stones lowers. You can also look at these useful home remedies for kidney infection.
- Make a syrup from 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water.
- Then combine with 1 cup of lemon juice.
- Add 2 to 3 cups cold water to dilute (and ice).
*If your kidney stones don’t pass or the pain doesn’t lower in a few days, reach out to your doctor for additional assistance.
Pomegranates are some other home remedies for kidney stones that you will certainly enjoy taking. The astringent health benefits found in the juice and the seeds lead you to a speedy recovery.
- Drink at least 1 full glass of fresh pomegranate juice every day.
- Alternatively, eat 1 pomegranate on a daily basis.
14. Basil Tea
Basil is one of the home remedies for kidney stones pain relief you can always look into, owing to its detoxifying and diuretic properties. With the help of basil, stones are successfully eliminated from your kidney.
- Prepare a cup of basil tea from fresh basil leaves and enjoy frequently.
- Boil the leaves for about 10 minutes to get this remedy right.
- You can always add a bit of honey for taste.
15. Horsetail Tea
If you’re hunting for a herbal home remedy for kidney stones to pass that you can rely on, horsetail just might do the trick for you. A study conducted by the University of Maryland Medical Center showed that horsetail increases the amount of urine output, flushing out kidney stones.
- Boil eight ounces of water.
- Add 4 teaspoons of dried horsetail.
- Cover and let steep for three minutes.
- Make sure you drink one cup every day.
- Take 2 grams horsetail supplements every day.
*Get in touch with your doctor if you don’t feel any changes in one week.
16. Parsley Tea
Another great home remedy for kidney pain is parsley. This nutrient super hero is commonly used for cleansing both the kidney and the liver, so you can understand why it is a favorite choice for individuals with kidney stones. Its antioxidant properties, high beta-carotene content and abundance of minerals will get you back on the right track in no time.
- Brew a pot of parsley tea.
- Add lemon juice.
- Consume two times weekly.
- Add parsley to your salads and home-cooked meals to enjoy its benefits even more.
*Of course, your doctor should be the first one you call if you experience persisting pain even after using this remedy.
Among our favorite home remedies for kidney stones, we can also find celery. This yummy veggie is a fine diuretic that can help you get rid of those painful stones.
- Enjoy celery as a snack between meals.
- Juice some celery and enjoy this natural beverage daily.
- Add celery to your meals.
To wrap up our guide, you have numerous home remedies for kidney stones to choose from. You can either choose readily-available solutions or experiment with some of the more complex remedies from our list. However, we strongly recommend that you seek professional medical attention if no pain is alleviated. If you used a remedy from our list and it worked for you, please share your experience in the comments below!