Mononucleosis, shortened as “mono” and most commonly doubled as “the kissing disease” is a condition similar to herpes of infectious nature. It affects lymphocytes and epithelial cells and it’s triggered by the presence of a virus which typically lives in saliva and certain types of mucus. This virus is highly contagious and it can be passed off through kissing or by sharing straws or cutlery with someone already infected by this condition. There are several possible symptoms, the most common of them being fatigue, sore throat, fever, swollen lymph nodes, swollen tonsils, or even headaches. To find some quick and accessible treatments, give a look to our list of home remedies for mono.
This list contains all-natural solutions that can help you soothe the symptoms of this condition and contribute to the healing process of the body. In order to get the best of results, we recommend also undergoing a prescribed treatment at the same time.
Share this Image On Your Site
</p><br /><br /><p><strong>Please include attribution to HomeRemedyBook.com with this graphic.</strong></p><br /><br /><p><a href=’https://homeremedybook.com/home-remedies-for-mono/’><img src=’https://homeremedybook.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/mono-remedies.jpg’ alt=’Best Home Remedies for Mononucleosis – Infographic’ width=’800′ border=’0′ /></a></p><br /><br /><p>
1. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil contains lauric acid, a strong antibacterial compound that might just be the best fighter against the specific virus that causes this condition. Aside from this substance, coconut oil also contains plenty of vitamins and nutrients which will strengthen your immune system and give your body the necessary boost to fight off the virus.
- Gently warm up 3 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Then, mix it with 1/4 glass of apple juice, juice of half a lemon, and a small piece of ginger.
- Stir everything through and through and drink this mixture daily.
2. Lemon Juice
For better or for worse, mono is very similar to viral infections in behavior. This makes vitamin C, a compound that we all know is often the pillar in treatments for flus and common colds, extremely efficient. Lemon juice contains high concentrations of vitamin C and it’s also able to combat bacteria by turning your throat into an alkaline environment that inhibits their lifespan and growth.
- Add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice to 1 cup of warm water.
- Stir everything thoroughly and sweeten with 1 teaspoon of honey if you desire so.
- Drink this mixture in the morning before having breakfast.
- Repeat daily until you’re noticing improvements.
Broccoli is yet another ingredient that contains high doses of vitamin C. Compared to lemon juice, it’s ideal if you’re searching for a steadier approach that involves regular dietary changes. Adding broccoli to your meals will heal you from the inside-out and strengthen your immune system.
- Prepare a quick and easy broccoli recipe by filling a linen sheet-covered tray with some fresh or frozen broccoli, sliced into florets.
- Sprinkle on a little bit of olive oil, salt, and grated cheese of your choice.
- Pop in the oven, preheated to 425°F, and leave the broccoli to roast for 20-25 minutes.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a highly acidic compound with incredible antiseptic properties, precisely the kind of traits all good home remedies for mono should possess. It can kill germs causing this problem and also soothe the soreness and inflammation of the lymph nodes and tonsils.
- Add 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water and then stir well.
- Drink this mixture twice a day for a month to start noticing results.
- You may also gradually increase the quantity to a maximum of 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.
Cranberries aren’t just delicious, they are also incredibly useful if you happen to suffer from a viral infection of most kinds. In this case, they are excellent for treating the kissing disease, all thanks to the antibacterial properties and vitamins that will first kill bacteria and then give a boost to your immune system.
- Mix 1 cup of unsweetened cranberry juice with 7 cups of water.
- Drink this mixture throughout the day, starting with 1 cup first thing in the morning.
- Repeat this daily for several weeks to start noticing visible improvements.
Garlic is one of nature’s finest antiseptic agents, as well as one of the most reliable home remedies for mono. It contains allicin, the compound that gives it its wonderful and potent antibacterial characteristics. There is a reason, after all, why grandparents may have recommended at some point eating garlic when you’re stuck with a common cold or flu: it’s truly a fantastic virus killer.
- Take out 1 glove of a garlic and then slice it in half.
- Place either half in one corner of your mouth and then gradually start biting down on the garlic, squeezing out the juice.
- You could also add a few drops of garlic oil to 1/4 cup of water and then use this solution to gargle twice a day for notable improvements to your condition.
7. Castor Oil
Castor oil is an ingredient that you can safely utilize as home remedy for mono. It has fantastic soothing and numbing properties that can provide relief to inflamed lymph nodes and tonsils. Furthermore, its deep antiseptic abilities will inhibit the spread of the virus and keep the condition from worsening.
- Acquire some cold-pressed castor oil and then pour a little bit in your palm.
- Gently rub into the sensitive area in circular motions for about 5 minutes.
- Next, cover with a warm compress and wait for another 5-10 minutes.
- Lastly, remove and rinse with lukewarm water.
- Repeat 1-2 times a day for a week.
Echinacea is a famous antiviral herb that plenty of people use to deal a number of infections and afflictions caused by various viruses. It’s also one of the best home remedies for mono thanks to its soothing properties and how well it can squash bacteria and inhibit the apparition of new colonies.
- To prepare some tea, add a few Echinacea flowers to a pot of water and then boil for a few minutes.
- Cover up and then let everything infuse for 5-6 minutes.
- Lastly, strain and enjoy this tea twice a day for the next week.
9. Licorice Root
Licorice has two main properties, the primary one being its excellent anti-inflammatory prowess. It’s a renowned remedy for inflammations and infections, its second main property being the antiseptic effects which will keep bacteria at bay. And all it takes to reap its benefits is brewing some licorice root tea as seen below.
- To prepare a natural and soothing tea, add 2 teaspoons of licorice root powder to 2 cups of boiling water.
- Let it steep for around 10 minutes and then strain.
- Drink this tea while it’s still warm and make it into a daily habit for you to really bring some relief to your condition.
10. Oregano Oil
Just like castor oil, oregano oil is another easy remedy that you can utilize to combat the symptoms of mono. You can either undergo a treatment like the one described below, either opt to simply include oregano oil in your daily cooking for a steadier and slower approach.
- Drip 2-3 drops of oregano oil directly to the tip of your finger and then gently dab it against the sensitive tooth.
- Wait for 10-15 minutes so that the oil can have its benefits sink into the tooth and then rinse off with clear water.
- Undergo this process twice a day for the next couple of days or so for the best of results.
Natural yogurt is the primary source for probiotics, the beneficial bacteria that fights off the bad bacteria. With a steady intake of probiotics, you’ll be able to defeat viruses and unpleasant bacteria in a natural and safe way. All you need to do is to ensure that it’s entirely natural.
- Take 1 cup of plain yogurt and then add roughly 1 teaspoon of salt in order to enhance its taste.
- Eat the yogurt slowly until the hiccups eventually go away.
12. Salt Water
Salt is one of the best natural purifiers, making salt water solutions among the most reliable home remedies for mono. It’s certain to slowly and steadily kill at the bacteria in your throat. And seeing how it’s a treatment that requires some gargling, it manages to get right to the core of the problem.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt to a glass of water and then stir thoroughly to incorporate the salt well in the mass of the liquid.
- Swish this solution around your mouth for around 30 seconds, making sure to cover every area.
- Finally, spit out and then rinse with normal, cool water.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times a day for the next few weeks or until the pain dissipates.
Honey is another famous antiseptic agent, having been used to deal inflammations and infections alike. It will act as a bandage for the pain while also dealing with the aches of your swollen lymph nodes and tonsils. It’s easily one of the most efficient home remedies for mono.
- To 1 cup of water, add 1-2 teaspoons of raw, organic honey and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Mix everything thoroughly and then drink this solution.
- Consume the mixture twice a day for 1 week.
Turmeric is rich in curcumin, an excellent compound whose main purpose is to bring relief to those suffering with inflammations. It’s very easy to soothe swollen nodes and tonsils by sipping on a cup of turmeric brew. As such, turmeric is among the best home remedies for mono.
- Add honey to 1 tablespoons of turmeric powder just enough to make a spreadable paste.
- Apply directly to the troubled area and then let the paste sit for 10 minutes.
- Finally, rinse with clean water and pat dry.
- Repeat this treatment daily for 1 week at most.
Last but not least, nutmeg also has great anti-inflammatory properties. Add to it the fact that it tastes really nice and you’ve earned yourself both a reliable remedy and a type of tea to enjoy on a normal basis as well.
- Add 1 teaspoon of nutmeg powder to 1 cup of hot water and then stir everything thoroughly.
- Add in 1 teaspoon of honey as well if you desire.
- Drink this solution daily for 1 week.
The kissing disease should not stop you from getting back to practicing some actual kissing as soon as possible. As long as you have the previously mentioned home remedies for mono on your side, the road to recovery is faster and you even know.