If you’ve ever had a mouth ulcer, you know how painful they can be. Mouth ulcers, often confused with cold sores, which are caused by the HSV-1 virus, are usually red, white or yellow sores that are swollen and appear on your insides of your cheeks, on your lips and sometimes on your tongue. It’s not always clear what may have caused your mouth ulcer but some common reasons include: biting the inside of your cheek, defective dental hardware – such as fillings and dentures, stress, eating certain foods – such as spicy or acidic ones. The good news is that mouth ulcers clear up on their own in a few weeks time. What you can do, however, is speed up the process and alleviate the pain they cause with these effective home remedies for mouth ulcers.
Our home remedies for mouth ulcers will help you with the pain.
1. Sea Salt Solution
Sea salt has anti-inflammatory properties that attack the swelling of a mouth ulcer. It is a natural mineral for disinfecting your mouth so that it is freed from bad bacteria and can heal. Sea salt can also be used as a great home remedy for dry skin.
- Pour two teaspoons of sea salt in a cup of warm water.
- Swish the solution in your mouth twice a day.
- Do not swallow.
2. Baking Soda Paste
Because baking soda helps to neutralize acidic foods and drinks, it is an ideal remedy for healing mouth ulcers. It also helps to fight germs in your mouth. You don’t want to swallow baking soda, however. In addition, be forewarned that applying baking soda to a mouth ulcer can lead to a burning feeling.
- Measure one teaspoon of baking soda and pour into a small bowl.
- Add a little warm water, just enough to help form a paste.
- Mix until thick.
- Use your finger or a cotton swab to dab the baking soda mixture on the ulcers.
- Rinse with warm water.
3. Coconut Milk and Honey
The sweet, soothing combination of coconut milk and honey makes a mouth paste that helps to massage out the pain caused by mouth ulcers. Honey has natural antibacterial and antimicrobial properties known for a long time now.
- Mix one tablespoon of coconut milk with a few drops of honey in a small bowl.
- Dab the mixture onto your mouth ulcers two to three times each day.
- Use it as a mouth rinse if the mixture is more of a liquid.
4. Celery Juice
Many people who struggle with mouth ulcers don’t realize that relief is as far away as a celery stalk. Whether eating a stalk or sipping a fresh juice you make from celery, you can get relief with celery fast. This is because celery has both anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. It also is packed with folic acid and vitamins including B6, B2, B1, C.
- Boil a small pot of water.
- Add celery stalks that have been cleaned and cut.
- Boil for 3 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Allow the mixture to steep for 10 minutes and pour into a glass.
- Drink the juice, followed by eating the celery.
5. Hydrogen Peroxide and Sea Salt Wash
Hydrogen peroxide has an antiseptic property that works as one of our trusted home remedies for mouth ulcers. Combined with the anti-inflammatory property of sea salt, you have a superpower solution that aids in helping your mouth recover. This solution also helps with inflamed or irritated gum tissue.
- Heat a small pot of water until it is warm.
- Pour into a tall glass.
- Measure two teaspoons of sea salt and two teaspoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide.
- Mix well until all ingredients dissolve.
- Swish in your mouth twice a day and spit out immediately!
Natural honey helps to speed up the healing process in your mouth and to keep your mouth moisturized. It also has antioxidant properties, making it one of the home remedies for mouth ulcers, also it is good-tasting.
- Pour a tablespoon of honey into a small bowl.
- Use your finger or a cotton swab to dab the honey onto your mouth ulcers.
- Allow to sit for five minutes and then rinse with water.
7. Coriander Rinse
Coriander seeds are a spice that help to reduce inflammation in your mouth. Keep in mind that coriander has a slightly spicy infusion. Coriander is well known and tested for its antibacterial properties, along with other spices and oils.
- Bring a small pot of water to a rolling boil.
- Toss in one teaspoon of coriander seeds.
- Turn off the heat and allow the mixture to steep.
- Strain the mixture and pour into a glass.
- While still warm, swish the mixture in your mouth and spit out.
- Repeat up to 4 times a day.
8. Aloe Vera Juice
Aloe vera is a natural plant that helps to relieve pain. It’s most common use is for relieving the pain caused by a burn. This is because aloe vera is a natural antiseptic. However, the plant also has natural anti-fungal and anti-viral properties. This makes it a great addition to our list of home remedies for mouth ulcers.
- Wash an organic aloe vera leaf and pat dry with a clean cloth.
- Open the leaf with a knife by cutting along one of the sides of the leaf.
- Remove the gel inside with a spoon. You’ll want to throw away any gel that looks green.
- Pour your favorite fruit juice in your blender.
- Add two tablespoons of aloe vera gel to the fruit juice and blend until smooth.
- Drink your juice to heal your ulcers.
9. Ice Slushie
This remedy is perhaps the most economical of them all and one of the most effective. Ice won’t heal your mouth ulcers, but it can temporarily alleviate the pain. Ice acts as a stinging stop sign to the nerves in your mouth, basically distracting your brain from feeling pain. Make an ice slushie to numb your mouth ulcer pain temporarily.
- Pour a cup of ice into your blender.
- Add your favorite berry or a shot of your favorite simple syrup.
- Pulse the mixture until the ice is blended into fairly small shavings.
- Eat with a spoon, holding the ice against your mouth ulcers before crunching and swallowing.
10. Basil Chewing Gum
If you like the taste of basil, then creating a basil chew or basil chewing gum is a natural and effective way to speed the healing of your cumbersome mouth ulcers.
- Pick five fresh leaves of basil.
- Wash them well under cool water and pat dry with a clean towel.
- Layer the leaves one on top of the other and add a dollop of honey in the center of the top leaf.
- Roll the leaf pile like a cigarette and chew twice a day: once in the evening and once in the morning.
- Create as an alternative to this a paste, by crushing the leaves and honey in a small bowl and dabbing the mixture on your mouth ulcers. The best part of this remedy is that it is edible and delicious!
11. Licorice Milk
Make a natural licorice rub using the licorice plant. Licorice is known to have anti-inflammatory properties that aid in healing. Its bioactive ingredients such as glycyrrhizin, licochalcone A etc, have benefic effects on common oral diseases.
- Heat two cups of milk in a small pot.
- Add fresh licorice sticks to the milk, one or two, and allow them to steep.
- Pour the licorice milk into a cup and sip.
12. Poppy Seed Paste
Next on our home remedies for mouth ulcers list are poppy seeds, you can make a delicious poppy seed paste to alleviate mouth ulcer pain. Poppy seeds are known to have a cooling effect on mouth ulcers, which adds to the alleviation of discomfort.
- Mix a teaspoon of raw sugar in a small mortar with 2 teaspoons of poppy seeds.
- Use the pestle to crush the mixture and blend it.
- Apply the paste to your mouth ulcers.
- Allow the paste to sit for 3 minutes and then rinse your mouth with lukewarm water.
What many people don’t realize is that home remedies for mouth ulcers are very easy and you often have all or most of the ingredients in your home already. Sometimes, it’s just about knowing what ingredients need to come together to make the perfect home remedies for mouth ulcers. There is no time like right now to help your mouth feel better. While you can’t necessarily make your mouth ulcers go away over night, you can stop the pain and get some rest. Let us know in the comments section below which mouth ulcers home remedy worked for you? Which one didn’t? We’re eager to hear from you!