Muscle pain is something that can affect quite literally anyone. It doesn’t discriminate based on age, sex, or just how physically active you normally are. It’s something that happens after you exhaust your muscles beyond their capacity, regardless of what said capacity is. It’s usually a harmless thing and, in the worst case scenario, it will leave you feeling worn out and incredibly sore. But just like everything else, there are solutions to this problem that don’t require you to hit up your local drugstore and to appease to expensive and possibly toxic medicine. Using the following home remedies for muscle pain, it will become easier than ever to feel relaxed again. And, above all, to grant the same freedom to your body.
Turmeric has strong anti-inflammatory properties that can definitely help you deal with the issue of sore muscles, reducing the swelling and unpleasantness in your body. This is all thanks to the main compound that you can find in turmeric aka curcumin.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric into 1 cup of milk
- Place it over low flame on the stove.
- Slowly stir while the mixture heats up and then remove from heat.
- Drink it twice a day while it’s still warm for a clear amelioration of your symptoms.
2. Tart Cherry
Maybe weirdly so, tart cherries have proven capacities in dealing with muscle pain and inflammations. This is because they are rich in antioxidants that will provide some relaxations to your muscles and keep at bay the inflammations that are giving you headaches.
- Take 1 and 1/2 cup of tart cherries and rinse them
- Remove stems and seeds
- Put them through a food processor
- Drink the resulting smoothie.
3. Cold Pack
When your skin comes in contact with something cold for several minutes in a row, this leads to a contraction of your blood vessels. In turn, this is going to help reduce inflammation throughout your body. Therefore, simply having something cold or frozen nearby constitutes one of the greatest home remedies for muscle pain you could possibly muster.
- Grab a fistful of ice cubes and then wrap them in a towel or a washcloth.
- Apply the compress directly to the sore area of the body
- Stay with it like that for an approximate of 15 minutes.
- You must repeat this hourly for the first 24 hours of your muscle inflammation
- You can extend this time period to 72 hours if the stiffness and ache persist.
Ginger also comes with a myriad of health benefits, including some that will make you feel so much better after a demanding exercise routine. Studies have shown that ginger has strong anti-inflammatory properties and that they extend to the soothing of muscle pain as well. The best way to use ginger for this purpose is by drinking some ginger tea.
- First, grab a ginger root and cut a small piece.
- Drop the ginger root in a pot which contains 2 cups of water.
- Place the pot over heat and then boil the entire mixture for 10 minutes.
- Strain it, add some honey according to personal taste
- Drink at least 2 cups daily
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a proven effective method of getting rid of most inflammations and those of the muscles are no exception. If you have a bottle of apple cider vinegar nearby, you’ve earned yourself one of the greatest home remedies for muscle pain that you could get. The alkalizing properties of the apple cider vinegar make it perfect for soothing sore muscles and stiffness.
- Fill your bath tub with lukewarm water and then mix in 2 cups of apple cider vinegar.
- Stir well for the vinegar to mix in thoroughly
- Soak in this bath mixture for 15-20 minutes on a daily basis to relieve the muscle stiffness and other aches.
Whether you prefer it fresh or dried, rosemary’s properties remain unchanged. It’s excellent for treating inflammations, particularly those of the muscles. So while it definitely makes an excellent herb in the kitchen, it can also lend you a hand when you’re in dire need of some effective and natural home remedies for muscle pain.
- Acquire 3 ounces of dried rosemary leaves
- Add them to 8 cups of water.
- Place the pot over heat and let it boil for a few minutes.
- Once you remove it from heat, let it steep for around 20 minutes.
- Soak whatever area is suffering at the moment in this mixture and then relax for 15 minutes in it.
- Apply this treatment 2-3 times a day for the following 2-3 days.
7. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper contains capsaicin, a substance that many people appraise for its fantastic anti-inflammatory properties. The compound serves as a natural analgesic which can rid you of aches and soreness in no time. For this reason, we consider to be cayenne pepper and other capsaicin-containing foods fantastic home remedies for muscle pain.
- Combine 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Stir everything until you get a paste-like mixture.
- Apply the resulting paste to the areas that are in need of your attention
- Cover with a bandage.
- Keep it on overnight and remove in the morning.
- Repeat daily for 2-3 days or until your pain goes away.
Did you know that one of the reasons why you might be experiencing muscle pain is because you’re lacking some potassium in your body? If this is the case for you then you can easily solve this unpleasant situation by munching on some bananas, which are famously some of the biggest potassium ‘containers’ around.
- To make a simple banana smoothie, take two or three ripe bananas and peel them
- Cut them into small pieces and place in a blender
- Add milk or light yogurt to the mixture
- Mix thoroughly until the ingredients are blended
- Place the smoothie in the fridge for 30 minutes before drinking
9. Mustard Oil
Mustard oil is able to improve circulation both underneath and on the surface of the skin, which in turn helps your muscles loosen after you’ve put too much strain on them. This ingredient is very helpful in combatting muscle pain also because it serves as a mild local anesthetic.
- Take a garlic clove and peel off 10 cloves, which you should then mince.
- Add 4 tablespoons of mustard oil to a particular container and then add in the garlic cloves.
- Heat up the mustard oil until the garlic cloves you’ve placed inside turn a brown shade.
- Let the mixture cool down to room temperature and then strain it.
- Massage this mixture into the sensitive area, preferably using a cotton pad or a ball for a better control.
- Keep doing this a few times a day for the next few days until you see a drastic amelioration.
10. Clove Oil
Just like certain other kinds of oils that make excellent home remedies for muscle pain, clove oil has anti-inflammatory properties which can help reduce the ache and can help your muscles greatly relax. It’s a natural remedy which will loosen up your muscles and make you feel good again.
- Simply heat up a little bit of clove oil.
- Let it cool down a bit until it becomes lukewarm.
- Massage it into the area that needs your attention for about 5 minutes
- Repeat as many times as you need, preferably 2-3 times a day for the next couple of days or so.
11. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt contains magnesium, a compound that can make the difference between a relaxed muscle and a strained one. It’s readily available and, perhaps because of this, it’s a remedy that many people use to fix their various health issues, particularly those that involve inflammations.
- Fill your tub with warm water and then add 2 cups of Epsom salt.
- Stir everything thoroughly to incorporate the salt in the entirety of the water’s mass.
- Soak in the solution for 20 minutes on a daily basis to see the problem go away.
*Note: Epsom salt is a treatment that people with certain health issues should absolutely not follow. If you have diabetes, low blood pressure, or heart problems, it’s mandatory to stay away from this particular ingredient.
Studies have showed that women drinking a cup of coffee post-workout experience considerably less muscle strain than those that do not. As a result, it’s safe to conclude caffeine can help you with the prevention of muscle pain. However, it’s a bit of a double-edged sword as too much caffeine can do the opposite of muscle relaxation, causing spasms instead.
- To make a mild cup of coffee, bring one cup of cold water to boil
- Add one teaspoon of coffee to the water, as it’s beginning to boil
- Take the pot of water off the stove immediately after the water starts bubbling
- Let the coffee sit a little before pouring it into your cup. This will give the water time to infuse
- You can add milk, sugar or cream. These will not affect the active ingredients.
13. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has famous anti-inflammatory properties, so it can help you protect your body in more than just one way. It’s one of the healthiest and easiest to find home remedies for muscle pain, so we definitely recommend it.
- Dip the tips of your fingers in coconut oil
- Rub it between your hands for a couple of seconds, until it’s slightly warm
- Massage the affected area with slow motion, following the direction of the muscles.
It can be pretty tough to carry on with your business as per usual when your entire body feels stiff and strained, we know. This is why it’s important to take preventive measures or to always keep one of these home remedies for muscle pain nearby. You never know when you’ll need them. And when you do, you’ll be able to truly rely on them since they’re incredibly healthy and natural.