Neck pain can arise for a great number of reasons. Sometimes it’s because of bad imposture, sitting at the desk for too many hours without taking any breaks, and others. But regardless of what the cause is, the conclusion is that it’s definitely something unpleasant to deal with. Usually when neck pain rolls around, we don’t really know what to do with ourselves. Do you rotate your head? Should you make a doctor’s appointment? The first step you should undergo is giving one of the home remedies for neck pain from below a shot. They’re accessible and cheap and they don’t require a lot of time for the benefits to show.
1. Ice Compress
Coldness is one of the best treatments you could undergo for neck pain. The contact with low temperatures is going to instantly provide relief to your neck, helping you get rid of it in a quick and effective way.
- Grab some ice cubes and then wrap them in a thin piece of cloth.
- Apply the cold compress directly to your neck, but make sure to not keep each compress on for longer than 15 minutes at a time.
- Repeat this treatment once every 2-3 hours during the first 24 hours of your pain.
- Be careful not to apply ice directly to your skin!
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has properties that will help with the neck pain. This is because it’s a strong, natural anti-inflammatory product that knows how to soothe that annoying pulsating pain at the back of your neck.
- Grab a paper towel and then soak it in apple cider vinegar for a bit until the liquid incorporates well into its mass.
- Place the paper towel against your neck and keep it on for a couple of hours.
- Undergo this treatment twice a day until the problem ameliorates.
3. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt contains enzymes which improve blood circulation, a contributing factor to the lessening of neck pain. It’s a great method of relieving the strain placed on your muscles and it’s also incredibly relaxing for the rest of your body.
- All you have to do is fill your bath tub with some warm water and then add around 1 cup of Epsom salt.
- Stir everything together thoroughly so that it incorporates properly in the entire mass of the water.
- Soak in this solution for around 10-15 minutes and then repeat this process regularly (a couple of times a day at least) to start feeling the results.
4. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil is a common element in many massage sessions because of its deeply relaxing and soothing properties. It can remove strain from your muscles and make you feel good again. Because of this, we consider it one of the most effective and easiest-to-acquire home remedies for neck pain.
- First of all, relax your neck muscles by taking a bath.
- Afterwards, you can simply add a few drops of lavender oil to the tips of your fingers and rub it gently against your affected area.
- If your neck doesn’t hurt while doing this, you can attempt a light massage which will help remove the strain from your muscles.
5. Heating Pad
Just like cold, heat can also help relieve the pain in your neck. You can easily acquire a heating pad if you don’t have one already. But if you don’t feel like doing that, you can easily use an alternative that will provide the same kind of relief.
- If you already have a heating pad, all you have to do is press it against your neck, the area that’s bothering you.
- Alternatively, you can wrap some salt in a piece of thin cloth and heat it in a heat-resistant bowl over a warm water bath on the stove. You can then use that the same way as you would the heating pad. Just make sure it’s not too hot!
6. Blackstrap Molasses
Sometimes the cause of a neck pain is internal and not external. A certain deficiency of potassium or calcium can cause ache in the joint and bones, which means that if you solve this particular issue, you can solve the pain. Sometimes the easiest home remedies for neck pain lie in whatever it is that you’re consuming.
- Add 1 tablespoon of blackstrap molasses to a glass of water and stir well to incorporate properly.
- Drink this mixture twice a day until you properly start building up the nutrients that you need to put the pain to a halt.
Turmeric contains curcumin, a powerful compound that many people appreciate for its strong anti-inflammatory properties. Because of this, turmeric is able to bring relief to sore necks and muscle pains. Moreover, it can contribute to your healing by improving blood circulation, an important part of the recovery process.
- Add 1 tablespoon of turmeric to a glass of milk and stir together well so that everything incorporates properly.
- Heat up over stove or in microwave for a few minutes.
- Remove from heat and then stir in a little bit of honey, just enough to make it taste good enough for you.
- Wait for the drink to cool down.
- Finally, drink this combination twice a day until you no longer experience neck pain.
8. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper contains high doses of capsaicin, a powerful compound that serves as a natural analgesic and a properly-functioning and useful anti-inflammatory weapon. Because of this, it’s one of the many home remedies for neck pain that we recommend to you, as well as other foods and ingredients that contain capsaicin.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Blend everything together well and then apply the resulting solution to the area of your neck that’s hurting.
- Lastly, repeat this process twice a day to ensure that it’s actually effective and that the pain will go away.
Ginger has some amazing properties which allow the improvement of blood flow and circulation. If you do this, you’re on the proper path to recovery. As a result, ginger is extremely useful for neck pain due to its great anti-inflammatory properties that will help your muscles and bones relax.
- Take a ginger root and cut it into small pieces.
- Add the pieces of ginger to a container with 2 cups of water and then place on heat, bringing to a boil.
- Next, strain and add some honey according to personal taste.
- Drink this tea while it’s still warm and repeat the process three times a day until you’re noticing an improvement.
10. Good Posture
Our home remedies for neck pain don’t just boil down to the various foods you can use as treatments for the relieving of the ache. Sometimes all you need to do is to prevent and the best way to do that is to make sure that your posture is the right one.
- When sitting down, always try to make sure that you’re not slouching. When you do that, you are straining your spine, which in turn will send ‘shock signals’ to your neck and make it ache as well.
- It’s also important to check your stance while you’re sitting up. Test that your posture is the right kind by standing upright in front of a wall, heels slightly further apart. Your rear and shoulders should be touching the wall, but not your back.
11. Horse Radish
Horse radish has some amazingly helpful properties which will ensure that your neck pain goes away in the blink of an eye. It has strong countering abilities that will drain the pain from your muscles and will help them relax. For this, we consider it one of the most reliable home remedies for neck pain.
- Simply take some horse radish and apply it directly to the areas that are giving you trouble.
- Be sure to not keep the horse radish against your skin for too long because this can lead to some rashes or irritations.
Celery is yet another of the many home remedies for neck pain that you should totally give a shot to. It has numerous health benefits, sure, but who would have thought that it can also help soothe the ache that comes with a stiff and strained neck?
- All you need to do is to acquire some celery leaves and to blend them in order to extract the juice.
- Afterwards, pour said juice in a glass and drink it a couple of times a day to help your pain submerge.
- You may also stir in a little bit of honey in order to make it easier on your taste buds.
13. Hot Shower
Going back to the topic of how heat can help relieve your pain, we’re recommending here taking a hot shower in order to get rid of your neck stiffness. Compared to a heating pad and its alternatives, a hot shower will also grant you the massaging properties that come from the pressure of water.
- While showering, gently crane your neck downward under the stream and let the jet ‘rain’ down on you.
- Stay like this for around 4-5 minutes while making sure that you’re not moving at all.
- This should help you relieve the pain greatly.
You can also easily relieve muscle strain by attempting some simple and non-demanding exercises. A word of caution before anything else: if you’re feeling pain while attempting either of these exercises, you should better stop doing them immediately.
- The most common and effective exercise you can do is rotation of your head, in slow and circular motions.
- You can alternate with other types of movements, such as a simple side-to-side action or an 8-pattern.
Neck pain has a great number of causes and reasons. As we’ve already mentioned, sometimes it can happen due to something as seemingly unrelated as a potassium deficiency. Most of the times, however, it’s due to posture or due to straining yourself too much. While prevention makes an excellent method of ridding yourself of this problem, if you find yourself with your neck hurting already, there’s no need to fret. Pick either of the aforementioned home remedies for neck pain and you will find an easy relief for your strain and stiffness.