Peripheral neuropathy, more often known simply as neuropathy, is a condition which represents damage to the peripheral nervous system. This particular part of your nervous system is responsible for the transmission of information from the spinal cord and brain to the rest of the body. As a result, you might wind up with a number of side effects such as loss of feeling, lack of control over your own muscles, and even pain. Naturally, there isn’t a universal treatment for this particular condition. For this reason, we’ve lined up multiple home remedies for neuropathy that can cater to your specific needs and desires. They are all really easy to acquire, effortless, and, above all, extremely effective in the fight against this affliction.
One common cause of neuropathy is nutritional deficiency. If this is also your situation, you should look for the home remedies for neuropathy that can help you supply the things that you lack. Soy is one of those treatments, being a food rich in vitamin B6. Studies have linked this particular vitamin with neuropathy, showcasing the fact that it deals effectively with the pain of the condition.
- There is no better or more practical way of using soy than by eating it.
- You simply should consider increasing the amount of soy in your everyday cooking.
- Alternatively, you can prepare and drink your very own soy milk. Soak a handful of soybeans overnight in 2-3 cups of water.
- In the morning, take out the beans and then peel them. Add 4 cups of water to a blender and mix together.
- Finally, strain and then move to heat, setting the temperature to 180ºF (82ºC). Keep this temperature even for 20 minutes.
- Refrigerate overnight.
Lavender is pretty famous for its anti-inflammatory properties that definitely make it a treatment worth considering. It can help soothe a number of painful areas, including the ones aching because of your nerves. This makes lavender a fantastic treatment against those also suffering from agitation because of neuropathy and its symptoms.
- You can use lavender is by grabbing some lavender essential oil. Fortunately, you can find some every step of the way.
- Rub a little bit of the oil between your palms and then apply it in gentle massaging motions to the areas that are suffering from neuropathy.
- Repeat this treatment 2-3 times a day until you’re noticing an improvement in your well-being.
Peppermint is one of the best and most effective home remedies for neuropathy around. It’s a plant that has deep soothing properties due to the fact that it can make you feel fresh and relaxed. Furthermore, peppermint also improves circulation, which is crucial to combating the symptoms of neuropathy. The more blood flows to your hands and feet, the less you’ll experience pain.
- One effective way to reap the benefits of peppermint is by grabbing some leaves and then mixing them with 1 cup of water.
- Place over heat and then bring to a boil.
- Next, let steep for a few minutes, strain, and then drink while it’s still warm.
- Drink multiple cups every day until you’re noticing an improvement.
- Alternatively, if you don’t have much time at your disposal, simply rubbing some peppermint leaves onto the sensitive areas will do the trick just as seamlessly.
When neuropathy is wreaking havoc throughout your body, you need as many vitamins as you can get. A crucial kind of vitamin in this situation is vitamin C and certain green vegetables such as broccoli are purely havens for it. Constantly pumping vitamins into your body is going to ensure that the healing process drastically speeds up.
- You don’t need to do much preparation or follow any recipes to use broccoli in your treatment. Simply prepare some meals which include broccoli on the menu and that will definitely be enough to grant you its benefits.
- To prepare a quick and delicious meal, start by adding some broccoli to a baking tray lined with sheet.
- Drizzle some olive oil over and then cover with some grated mozzarella, Parmesan, or other preferred cheese of your choice.
- Pop in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the broccoli softens and the cheese melts.
Rosemary is an herb with strong antifungal and antiseptic properties. But, above all, it displays some fantastic anti-inflammatory properties. It’s these particular capacities that have launched rosemary to the top of our best home remedies for neuropathy. Rosemary will help relieve the pain that comes with this condition.
- You could always try drinking some rosemary tea. Start by adding some dried rosemary to a pot of boiling water.
- Boil for 10-15 minutes.
- Afterward, cover and steep for an additional 15 minutes.
- Finish by straining and sipping on this mixture throughout the rest of the day.
- Alternatively, you can acquire rosemary oil. To use it, rub some directly onto the sensitive area 2-3 times a day for the next months.
Bananas are also great sources of vitamin B6, the one that you really need in order to hasten the healing process of your body. Furthermore, bananas also have countless of other health benefits since they are rich in potassium or magnesium.
- You don’t have to do anything fancy here in order to reap the benefits of bananas. Simply eat several throughout the day for around 1 week and watch and neuropathy takes off from your system.
- You may also prepare the banana by turning it into a smoothie. Peel off 1 ripe banana, slice it into pieces, and add to blender.
- On top, add 1 cup of milk and 1 tablespoon of honey, topping off with some ice.
- Blend everything together and enjoy the smoothie.
Mushrooms are perfect choices for those seeking out the best of what home remedies for neuropathy have to offer. They are rich in vitamin B9, another kind of nutrient that your body thrives off and needs as much as possible off should it gather the strength to fend off neuropathy. Vitamin B9 generates extra red blood cells, which are going to be of an undeniable huge help in the fight against neuropathy.
- Integrate mushrooms in your daily menu to gather as many of its benefits as you can.
- Acquire some fresh mushrooms from your local market and then separate the tails from the body.
- Mince the tails in small pieces and then mix them with a little bit (1/2 teaspoon) of sour cream.
- Add this mixture inside of the mushrooms and then top off with some grated cheddar and thinly cut pieces of ham.
- Bake at medium heat for 15-20 minutes.
Remember all of the vitamins we’ve previously mentioned and preached about, praising just how excellent they are as home remedies for neuropathy? Well, tomatoes contain all of them. More specifically, a single tomato is rich in vitamins C, B6, and B9, the big ‘soldiers’ of this war that will help you get rid of neuropathy and its unpleasant symptoms in no time.
- You could use tomatoes in a number of ways. For topical application, you could try rubbing the pulpy side of one half of a tomato directly onto the sensitive areas of your body.
- Furthermore, there is an overwhelming number of foods and recipes that use tomatoes as a foundation, so you can definitely include it in your daily diet for fantastic results.
- You may also try drinking some tomato juice, though we’d recommend avoiding the ones you can find in stores due to the possible toxic, synthetic additions in them.
9. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper contains capsaicin, a very powerful compound that might just be one of the biggest anti-inflammatory weapons around. Many other foods contain capsaicin as well, but none have quite the concentration that cayenne peppers do. They are excellent at fighting against the pain resulting from neuropathy and its effects.
- There are a couple of ways you can go about this. Traditionally, simply including cayenne pepper in your diet more often is going to be enough and do the trick. Naturally, you shouldn’t do that if you can’t really handle your spices since cayenne pepper does tend to burn a little bit hot.
- Alternatively, you could opt for a topical application by creating a paste from cayenne pepper powder and some olive oil. Afterwards, you simply need to rub it into the sensitive areas for some instant pain relief.
Oatmeal has an impressive glycemic level, but definitely the good kind. By tinkering with the sugar levels in your blood, you can significantly fasten the healing process of your body as it attempts to shrug off neuropathy and everything unpleasant about it. Oatmeal is incredibly good for people suffering from diabetes.
- To prepare your own oatmeal, start by heating 1 1/2 cups of milk and bring to a simmer.
- Add 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking (not instant) oatmeal and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring until it thickens.
- Finally, take off heat and then top off with raisins, raspberries, cherries, bananas, or other fruits of your choice.
- You may also top off with brown sugar or maple syrup.
11. Evening Primrose Oil
Scholars that have been studying the effects of neuropathy and its possible cures have unveiled the fact that the oil extracted from evening primrose might contribute to the recovery of your body. It improves your nervous system and helps it fend off the symptoms of this condition.
- The most common method people adopt to use evening primrose oil is taking capsule supplements
- However, there might be a small problem in the sense that patients need to take at least 12 capsules for them to see any changes in their health.
- Because of the high quantity, it’s mandatory to first consult a doctor before attempting this treatment.
Last but definitely not least, let us not underestimate the power that a little bit of exercise can offer to people struggling with this condition. All the home remedies for neuropathy we’ve mentioned so far should come hand in hand with regular physical activity if you desire to lead a happy life free of this annoying affliction from now on. By exercising, you stimulate your circulation, making your blood flow better toward your limbs.
- You don’t need to attempt any straining exercise routines for this method to work.
- All you need is to establish a schedule for some walking. Go for walks that last as much as 30 minutes and make this into a daily habit.
- Not only will this eventually help you get rid of the condition, but it will make your life so much better in the long run.
- One of the greatest neuropathy-related benefits of exercise is boosting nerves’ resistance to pain.
Neuropathy is definitely a troublesome condition. Because it’s something that affects the nerves, many people are reluctant to believe that home remedies could be making a difference. But luckily, they are. Of course, this only applies when you take them alongside your prescribed medication. As long as you follow your treatments and take on the home remedies for neuropathy we’ve just mentioned, you won’t need to worry about a thing.