Oral thrush is a condition involving an overgrowth of yeast, Candida Albicans, in the mouth. This stubborn, painful condition is extremely easy to pass from person to person. Since the candida yeast can persist on towels, linens, and toys, it can make it especially difficult to treat. Therefore, in order to help prevent the spread of infection, be sure to wash your hands and surfaces that come into contact with the yeast. Symptoms include white, patchy areas on the tongue and throughout the mouth that can cause slight bleeding when scraped. Fortunately, in addition to following an anti-candida diet, a wide range of home remedies for oral thrush can help effectively eliminate the yeast in a natural, affordable way.
Try our home remedies for oral thrush and get rid of the infection fast!
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is loaded with beneficial enzymes that can help control candida overgrowth. It also helps support the immune system and restore the mouth to the appropriate pH level for battling yeast. Vinegar has anti-infective properties that help the body fight against different infections and conditions, it was highly used in ancient medicine.
- Add 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to a cup of warm water.
- Mix in a 1/2 teaspoon of salt too.
- Rinse with this solution.
- Or apply it with a Q-tip several times per day until thrush disappears.
- Additionally, you can also consume a glass of water with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar once or twice per day.
Salt serves as an effective addition to the list of home remedies for oral thrush. This simple, affordable remedy works fast by creating an environment that will not sustain the yeast. Always remember not to swallow the saline solution.
- Add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of salt to 1 cup of warmed water.
- Gargle thoroughly with this solution.
- Use a Q-tip to apply the solution to the affected areas for a quicker alternative.
- Repeat twice a day for several days as long as needed.
3. Grapefruit Seed Extract
Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE) is an antimicrobial compound produced from grapefruit seeds and pulp. It makes an excellent oral thrush home remedy due to its abilities to effectively address yeast imbalance. This potent extract possesses the potential to clear thrush in a rapid manner – often in as little as two days.
- Mix 10 drops of grapefruit seed extract with one ounce of distilled water.
- Apply this mixture using a Q-tip directly to any affected areas once per hour during waking hours.
- Increase the number of GSE drops to 15 or 20 if there is no noticeable improvement by the second day.
- Continue treatment until improvement occurs.
*This treatment can also be added to your laundry to help kill any lingering yeast.
4. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil works as an oral thrush home remedy due to its potent antifungal properties that help fight the overgrowth of the yeast. Its powerful capabilities allow it to address thrush quickly and effectively, as well as many other viruses, bacteria, and fungi.
- Combine 4 to 5 drops of tea tree oil with one cup of warm water.
- Gargle the solution for several minutes.
- Or apply using a Q-tip to affected areas.
- Do either of these twice per day until improvement is seen.
5. Clove Essential Oil
Next on the list of natural home remedies for oral thrush is clove essential oil. This powerful antiseptic oil can be used to successfully fight candida infections and restore health to the mouth. Clove essential oil has been proven to exhibit impressive antifungal properties that may even be comparable to Nystatin.
- Apply oil directly to affected areas using a cotton swab.
- For babies, it may be better to dilute the clove oil due to its strength.
- Repeat the applications several times per day.
6. Baking Soda and Vinegar
Baking soda and vinegar make an excellent thrush-fighting duo. They help maintain a proper pH balance in the mouth and discourage the growth of yeast.
- Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of baking soda to a cup of water
- Mix 1 teaspoon of vinegar with the above, until a paste is formed.
- Using a cotton ball or Q-tip, carefully apply this mixture to affected areas.
- Rinse the mouth with warm water.
- Repeat several times per day until thrush is gone.
Because of its antifungal properties, cinnamon oil is one of the most powerful home remedies for oral thrush. It effectively battles candida infections by helping to control yeast overgrowth. It can be applied topically or you can consume cinnamon in the form of tea. To make tea, boil a cinnamon stick or 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon in 1.5 cups of water for a few minutes, strain, and consume once or twice per day.
- Dilute 2 to 3 drops of cinnamon oil with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Apply this treatment to affected areas for 10 to 15 minutes before rinsing.
- Repeat this process once per day for several days.
8. Oregano Oil
Oregano oil also deserves a spot on the list of home remedies for oral thrush not only due to its antifungal properties but also its antibacterial, antiviral capabilities, and its help in supporting a healthy immune system. It also has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Also successfully used as a home remedy for vaginal yeast infection.
- Add 2 to 3 drops of high-quality oregano oil to 1 tablespoon of a carrier oil such as olive oil.
- Apply the mixture to affected areas of your mouth using a Q-tip.
- Repeat twice daily until improvement is noticed.
- Oregano oil can also be consumed by combining 3 drops with a cup of water.
Garlic is another option when considering home remedies for oral thrush. With powerful antifungal properties, it is capable of killing off the yeast that causes the thrush infection and boosting the immune system. There are several ways to utilize garlic as a natural treatment for thrush.
- Chew 1 or 2 cloves of raw garlic regularly.
- Take garlic supplements.
- Apply garlic oil to white spots several times daily.
10. Coconut Oil
Another effective oral thrush home remedy is coconut oil. Due to its antimicrobial properties, coconut oil helps eliminate the overgrowth of candida. When consumed or applied topically, its content of lauric acid and caprylic acid helps kill off the yeast and return the mouth to a healthier state.
- Apply coconut oil directly to white spots using a Q-tip.
- Cover the spots with coconut oil several times per day.
- Practice oil pulling with coconut oil to help fight the infection.
Yogurt’s probiotic properties make it an excellent addition to our list of home remedies for oral thrush. It is crucial to choose unsweetened, unflavored yogurt for the treatment of thrush since the sugar in some brands may cause yeast to flourish.
- Rub a small amount of yogurt directly onto white spots.
- Allow the yogurt to cover the affected areas for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly.
- Repeat at least twice a day for several days.
*Additionally, consuming a cup or two of yogurt per day can help fight the infection by supplying your body with good bacteria.
Turmeric is also well-known for its anti-inflammatory, healing capabilities. It also contains powerful antifungal properties that make it an excellent option for treating thrush at home.
- Mix 3 teaspoons freshly crushed turmeric root with a teaspoon of milk to form a paste.
- Swish the paste around the mouth for several minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly then spit.
- Repeat up to twice per day for several days until you get improvement.
13. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera rounds up the list of oral thrush home remedies. This contains potent antifungal agents that help prevent the spread of the infection and destroy the yeast. Its notorious soothing properties can also help relieve discomfort experienced during an infection.
- Apply fresh aloe gel from a plant using a cotton swab.
- Repeat several times per day.
- Drink aloe juice, about 1/4 cup, in order to fight oral thrush at the source.
All in all, there are a wide variety of home remedies for oral thrush that can help treat this frustrating condition. These treatments are readily available, affordable, and free of the potential side effects that prescription treatments carry. If any of these remedies fail to cure the candida yeast overgrowth within a few days, be sure to contact your doctor to discuss further treatment. Have you ever dealt with oral thrush? Do you have any trusted home remedies you would like to share with us? Be sure to tell us below!