Most people will experience acne in their lifetimes. Whether it is an occasional pimple or consistent breakouts, acne is a common problem. Pimples occur when oil glands in the skin become infected with bacteria. The infection cause glands to grow swollen and inflamed and start to fill with pus, which causes much discomfort. Though not life-threatening, having acne can be a serious problem. Over-the-counter solutions can be expensive and time-consuming. Your skin will probably not react well to being coated in strange chemicals either. Natural remedies offer a healthier and often times cheaper cure for most ailments. Here are some of our favorite home remedies for pimples.
Get a clear complexion using our natural home remedies for pimples!
Ice is one of the easiest and most abundant home remedies for pimples that you can come by. It can be used to reduce swelling, redness, and inflammation. It also helps to improve blood circulation to the area. The ice cleans dirt and debris from your skin and helps to tighten your pores.
- Wrap an ice cube or crushed ice in a clean cloth.
- Hold it on your pimple for 30 seconds.
- Wait for 2 minutes.
- Repeat the process twice a day to reduce the swelling.
2. Lemon Juice
You probably already have lemon juice in your house. If not, all it requires is a quick trip to the grocery store. Make sure to use fresh lemon juice, the pre-bottled juice has preservatives that are not good for your skin. Lemon juice is high in vitamin C and citric acid. It exfoliates your skin and dries out your pimples. It is also a natural skin whitener, which will reduce redness.
- Clean your face with water and dry with a clean towel.
- Dip Q-tip or cotton ball in lemon juice.
- Apply to pimple.
3. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is a tried and true miracle worker for most skin problems. It is especially effective at healing acne. The oil has antibacterial properties and acts as an antiseptic. When applied to the skin, it cuts through dead skin cells to unblock pores. It also kills acne related bacteria and treats breakouts. You can pick this oil up at any health food store or online.
- Clean your face with water.
- Dilute the tea tree oil by mixing 1 part oil with 9 parts water.
- Use a cotton swab to apply to trouble areas.
- Apply moisturizer.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
As far as home remedies for pimples go, apple cider vinegar is one of the most effective treatments. Apple cider vinegar can be used in all sorts of natural remedies, so it is good to have an excess in your home. It kills off the bacteria that causes acne and balances the pH of your skin making it harder for that bacteria to thrive. This vinegar also helps to dry up any excess oil. Your acne will clear up in no time at all.
- Mix one part pure unfiltered apple cider vinegar with three parts water.
- Dip a Q-tip in the mixture.
- Apply directly to pimple.
- Leave it on for at least 10 minutes.
- Wash your face.
- Reapply three times a day.
5. Green Tea Rinse
A green tea rinse makes it easy to cure your pimples with a home remedy. There is an antioxidant in green tea that reduces inflammation, as well as the production of sebum, an oily substance produced by the skin. It is also effective at eliminating the bacteria on the skin that induces acne breakouts. There are some skin benefits to drinking the tea, however applying directly to the skin is more effective. Health Line includes green tea on their list of great remedies for pregnancy acne as well, so this remedy can safely be used by expecting mothers.
- Boil a cup of water.
- Pour water over your green tea bag or loose leaves.
- Steep four to five minutes before straining.
- Let the tea cool to a comfortable temperature.
- Pour the tea into a spray bottle.
- Spritz your face lightly.
- Pat your face dry and repeat the process twice per day.
6. Baking Soda
You probably already know about the wondrous applications of baking soda in home cleaning, but did you know about its amazing health benefits too? Baking soda, or sodium bicarbonate, is great at cleaning up acne because of its mild antiseptic qualities. It fights off bacteria and fungus, dries up oil, and exfoliates your skin. When mixed into a body scrub, baking soda will cure pimples and leave skin looking smooth, clean, and bright.
- Mix a half cup of baking soda with one-eighth cup of water.
- Apply the mixture to your face and any other acne-prone areas.
- Massage it into your skin thoroughly.
- Continue for five minutes.
- Rinse your face and pat dry.
- Moisturize skin.
7. Cinnamon and Honey
At first, it may seem like a strange combination, but cinnamon and honey together create one of the best all natural home remedies for pimples. Cinnamon has antimicrobial properties which slow the production of bacteria. Honey is a natural antibiotic, so it eliminates the bacteria. When these two products work in unison, your acne doesn’t stand a chance. This treatment is most effective when fashioned into a facial mask.
- Mix two tablespoons of honey with one tablespoon of cinnamon.
- Blend the two until they become a paste.
- Apply the mask to your face.
- Leave on for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse off completely and dry.
You most certainly have toothpaste in your home already. In addition to cleaning teeth, toothpaste can also be used to treat pimples. It is a cheap and easy remedy that can get rid of acne without harming your skin. This is an old trick, but it really works! The mintier the paste is, the better.
- Squeeze a bit of toothpaste onto your finger.
- Apply directly to the pimple.
- Leave it on for a few hours or overnight.
- Wash your face.
- Repeat daily.
9. Egg Whites
When you are considering home remedies for pimples, you won’t want to leave out an egg white treatment. Egg whites help to soak up the extra oil on your skin. They are also full of proteins and vitamins that fight acne and rebuild skin cells. This is a fast acting and affordable method of combating acne and fading scars that past breakouts have left behind.
- Separate the whites and the yolks of two to three eggs.
- Whisk the whites until frothy.
- Let them sit for a few minutes.
- Cover your face with the egg whites, focusing on problem acne areas.
- Wait for the mask to dry.
- Add another layer of egg whites.
- Repeat until you have three or four layers.
- Allow the full mask to sit for 20 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water and pat dry.
10. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera gel works well to treat acne on its own, as well as in combination with other ingredients as it works as an anti-inflammatory. It soothes the skin as it reduces redness and swelling. It also has some antibacterial properties. Consider buying an aloe plant as that will be the most concentrated form. You can use store bought gel as well, but do some research to find which brand has the least additives in it.
- Clean your face with water and dry.
- Use a Q-tip to apply aloe directly to zits.
- Leave aloe on and let it soak into your skin.
Garlic is an ideal option for anyone looking for a fast acting remedy for their acne. It has antifungal, antiseptic, antiviral and antioxidant properties, which all work together to get you quick results. Garlic helps to reduce the severity of current breakouts and prevent them from happening in the future. It can either be ingested or applied topically.
- Mash up two or three cloves of garlic.
- Let the pieces sit in water for 10 minutes.
- Use a cotton pad to soak up the garlic water.
- Coat pimples and let soak in.
Papaya is an essential ingredient in many store-bought beauty products however, there is no need to pay those expensive storde0bought prices. It can easily be incorporated into your home remedies for pimples. Raw papaya removes dead skin cells and excess oils, leaving your skin clean and smooth. It also contains a special enzyme that reduces inflammation.
- Clean your face with water and dry.
- Remove the skin and seeds from the papaya.
- Mash the fruit until it is a paste-like consistency.
- Apply to your skin.
- Let sit for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse off completely with warm water.
There are a ton of options for quick and easy home remedies for pimples. Remember to be patient. You may need to use trial and error to find out which treatment will work best for your skin. With a little time and a little care, you will find the perfect, natural solution to your pimple problem. Did we forget to mention any effective pimples home remedies? Let us know in the comments below!