A red eye is a pretty common happening in everyone’s life. It usually happens due to the breakage of a blood vessel or some sort of irritation. There are two types of red eyes that you can experience: painful and painless. If your red eye is also accompanied by pain, you might need to consider seeing a doctor as this could potentially indicate something worse. However, for both of these situations, particularly at the beginning of your experience with this ailment, don’t forget about taking over-the-counter medication as well. In the following paragraphs, we’ll be listing our favorite home remedies for red eye that can help you according to the various causes behind this condition.
Typically, whenever you experience an itchy eye or soreness, a splash or cool water can perform quite the wonders for you. There are few cures as simple as effective as clean water, so before you venture into experimenting with any other treatment, give this simple remedy a chance.
- It’s incredibly easy to use water to relieve the redness of your eyes. You will only need a source of clean, cold water and a towel.
- Soak this towel in the water for a bit and then gently place over the troubled eye for a few minutes.
- This should be enough to bring some relaxation to your eye. But if you’re still struggling, you may continue and pick another of our home remedies for red eye.
Cucumbers are pretty much the bonus version of water since their composition is, in an overwhelming majority, water to begin with. But above that, they have certain soothing and refreshing properties that can greatly help with puffiness, soreness, itchiness, and redness. After all, there’s a reason why they’re favorites in so many beauty salons.
- Take a fresh cucumber and thoroughly wash it before continuing.
- Cut it into medium-sized slices.
- Next, throw the slices in the fridge for around 15-20 minutes.
- Once you take them out of the fridge, place over your eyes for 10 minutes.
- This should provide great relief to your red eyes, but you can also repeat the process a few times a day if it doesn’t work the first time.
3. Rose Water
Rose water is another highly popular solution to red eyes. This is because it’s very beneficial for your eyes in general and because it can seamlessly treat puffiness, soreness, and itchiness.
- The most common method through which you can use rose water is dipping a cotton ball in a little bit of the solution and then gently pressing into your eyelids for a few minutes.
- However, since rose water is very gentle and beneficial, you can also safely use it directly on your eye. Simply spill 2-3 drops of rose water and then shut your eye, waiting for the solution to work its magic.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Sometimes, the cause of your red eye might just happen to be an unpleasant infection. If that is the case, there are few home remedies for red eyes as effective and wondrous as apple cider vinegar. Its deep antiseptic properties ensure that it will fight the bacteria causing the infection and help soothe your irritation.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with 1 cup of water. It’s important to do so because raw apple cider vinegar without distillation can be a bit harsh on your eyes due to the high acidity.
- Dip a cotton ball in this mix and then use it to clean around your eyes.
- You might need to repeat this process 2-3 more times for it to really show results.
5. Cold Bread
The cold is actually a fantastic method of soothing any inflammations, which is what also makes it an important ally when trying to get rid of red eyes. Unlike a normal cold press, bread also has the benefit of being extra soft and feeling generally good. It really is a factor, after all.
- You will only need a few slices of bread which you should then throw in the fridge for around 30 minutes until it chills out.
- Take the slices of bread out of the bridge and then gently press them over your eyes until they begin to warm up.
6. Cold Milk
Here we have yet another ‘cold something’ that can be of great help in your quest for helping your eyes. The cold, as we’ve already mentioned, can really help soothe your eyes and counter whatever irritation is plaguing them. Furthermore, milk in itself has the tendency to ‘quench fires’ so it can be really effective in countering possible inflammations.
- All you will need is a little bit of chilled milk and a cotton ball.
- Take the cotton ball and then dip it into the milk.
- Finally, start cleaning around the eye and gently pressing against it.
- Repeat this process twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening.
7. Green Tea
It’s hardly a secret that green tea is a definite oasis of health. For this reason, many people have been using it to treat a number of conditions. Green tea also has deep anti-inflammatory properties that can totally help reduce swellings or irritations, symptoms of the red eye.
- Boil 2 bags of green tea in 1 cup of water. Make sure to distill the water previously to using it as you’ll be using it around the eyes. The last thing you want is to get some accidental bacteria in there.
- Lastly, all you’ll need to do is flush your eyes using this green tea mixture twice a day until your problem submerges.
8. Aloe Vera
Many people use aloe vera to treat inflammations and irritations. It’s an incredibly soothing plant that has been part of various medical procedures for decades. Naturally, it’s also among the home remedies for red eye you can safely rely on in getting rid of this particularly bothersome condition.
- Grab some aloe vera leaves and then extract the gel from them.
- Mix the gel with 1 teaspoon of honey and 1/2 cup of elderberry blossom tea. These three together can really have some strong beneficial effects.
- Lastly, rinse your eyes using this mixture at least twice a day until you notice the problem has gone away completely.
Raw potatoes have strong astringent properties, which make them worthy of being one of the home remedies for red eye that you can place your bets on. They can easily bring relief to any form of itchiness or redness. And the best part is just how incredibly easy to acquire they are, seeing how they’re incredibly common in people’s kitchens.
- Grab a raw potato and then start cutting it in small slices.
- Next, place these slices in the refrigerator to allow them to cool down.
- Before going to bed, take the slices out and place them over your eyes while they’re still chilly.
- Repeat the process for a few days or until the problem goes away.
People that have been looking into home remedies for red eye have also uncovered that fenugreek has some excellent properties which qualify it for being one of the treatments you really need. It’s easy to acquire and it can provide relief in a simple and quick way as well.
- Soak some fenugreek seeds in water over night.
- Afterwards, take these seeds and toss them in the blender so that you will eventually form a paste.
- Close your eyes and then gently slather the paste over your eyes, keeping it on for 20 minutes.
- Wash out using cool water and then make sure to repeat the process for the next 2-3 days or so.
11. Raspberry Leaves
Raspberries are very beneficial for your health as a whole. The berries themselves have numerous uses and are excellent additions to a bunch of beauty and health treatments. But even their leaves have their purpose, as home remedies for red eye.
- Grab a handful of raspberry leaves and then toss them in a pot of water.
- Place over heat and then bring to a boil.
- Next, cover the pot and let everything steep for a few minutes.
- Strain and allow for the solution to cool down to room temperature.
- Lastly, you can dip some pieces of cloth or cotton in the mixture to apply directly over your eyes as compresses.
- Keep them on for 15 minutes and then repeat the process 2-3 times a day until your problem dissipates.
12. Castor Oil
Castor oil is yet another common presence among the various items with a myriad of health benefits. Aside from being particularly good for your skin, it seems that it can also combat puffiness, itchiness, and eye redness. It’s truly a product that has all kinds of benefits, so you better keep a bottle around the house at all times.
- Using castor oil to treat your eye redness is very simple as all you need to do is to pour one drop on each eyelid.
- Stay with your eyes closed for the next 15 minutes, letting the oil have its effects.
- Repeat 2-3 times a day until you’re noticing progress on the road to recovery.
Goldenseal is an herb that provides many health benefits, including the ability to soothe a red eye. It’s very easy to acquire and it will really prove to be of help in the long run. Not only is it one of the most effective home remedies for red eye around, but it also has numerous other benefits for your skin.
- Place 2 tablespoons of goldenseal to 1 cup of water and then bring to a boil.
- Strain afterward and let it cool.
- Finally, wash your eyes using this mixture and repeat a few times a day until the problem subsides.
A red eye can have all kinds of causes. But when presenting our home remedies for red eye, we’ve tried to consider both certain specifics and some general causes. This way, you’re pretty much bound to find among these options the one that will prove to be of real help to you personally.