Rosacea is a chronic skin condition that typically affects the cheeks, forehead, chin, and nose. While anyone can suffer from rosacea, it is most commonly found in middle-aged women with fair skin. Symptoms of rosacea include swelling, red patches, a burning sensation, small cysts, swollen eyelids, and thick, dry skin. These symptoms come and go, so having a home remedy on hand is a convenient and inexpensive way to treat this condition. Here are 12 home remedies for rosacea.
Use our home remedies for rosacea and enjoy your beautiful skin again
1. Chamomile Compress
Chamomile is often referred to as an “herbal aspirin” due to its popularity of being an effective home remedy. It is one of the best home remedies for rosacea since it has anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce the pain, swelling, and redness. Chamomile leaves can reduce facial swelling, inflammation, and skin irritations. It is especially great to help treat rosacea because it has soothing active ingredients, such as terpenoids and flavonoids, which act as natural moisturizers to help soothe the skin.
- Soak 6 chamomile tea bags in 3 cups of boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Take the tea bags out and refrigerate the tea until it is cold.
- Submerge a washcloth into the tea and squeeze out the excess liquid.
- Apply the washcloth to the affected area for 15-20 minutes.
- Do this up to 4 times each day until you see improvement.
It seems that oatmeal may be one of the most underrated, but best home remedies for rosacea. Not only does it have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, but it also is antifungal while still holding moisture into the skin.
- Combine 1/2 cup of powdered oatmeal with 1/4 cup water.
- Apply this mixture to the affected areas.
- Let it sit for 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off and pat skin dry.
- Repeat twice a day until you see improvements.
3. Green Tea
Green tea has a plethora of properties that are beneficial to health. Its anticarcinogen, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and also Phyto protective properties all work together to help treat rosacea. Additionally, green tea reduces the skin’s reaction to UV light, which helps prevent the development of papules and pustules on the areas affected by rosacea. Another way that green tea can be very helpful is to drink it at least two times each day. This will help keep your skin hydrated and give your body extra antioxidants to help accelerate the healing process.
- Brew two cups of green tea and refrigerate until cool.
- Soak a cloth in the tea and apply it to the affected area for 10 minutes.
- Do this twice a day for continuous effects.
According to a study, licorice reduces skin redness, which is the primary symptom of rosacea. It also has powerful anti-inflammatory properties to help create and maintain healthy skin cells. It also reduces skin irritation.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of licorice powder, 1 teaspoon of honey, and 1 teaspoon of aloe vera gel.
- Apply this mask to the affected area.
- Let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this twice a day for two months.
This vegetable found everywhere has properties that help to soothe and soften skin. Cucumbers are also a rich source of compounds that fight inflammation, such as cucurbitacins and cucumerin. Cucumbers also contain vitamins C and K, which are antioxidants. The vitamin B5 in cucumbers helps the skin to retain moisture. Due to their high water content, cucumbers have a cooling quality, which makes them soothing to irritated skin.
- Blend 1/2 cup of fine cut cucumber with 1 tablespoon of yogurt.
- Put a warm washcloth over your face to open up pores.
- Pat your face dry and apply a thick coat of the cucumber mask in a circular motion.
- Let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Rinse off the mask with warm water.
- Do this every day for one month.
6. Tea Tree Oil
One of the easiest home remedies for rosacea is tea tree oil. This oil acts as an anti-inflammatory and an antiseptic, which helps to naturally get rid of rosacea. Essential oils have been used for centuries to treat health ailments, therefore, skin conditions are no exception. This potent oil has many health benefits, including treating rosacea.
- Dab a bit tea tree oil on the problem area of the skin.
- Let the skin absorb it naturally.
- Repeat once a day for two weeks.
7. Herbal Paste
A paste made from coriander and turmeric is a great rosacea home remedy. Coriander is naturally rich in antioxidants, antiseptic, vitamin C, anti-inflammatory, and anti-fungal properties. Also, these properties fight the free radicals that affect the cell membranes in the skin. Turmeric is also a powerful healer, containing over 300 antioxidants and antiseptic and antibacterial properties, it is also included in the list of home remedies for psoriasis.
- Combine 2 teaspoons of turmeric powder, 4 teaspoons of coriander powder, and two tablespoons of fresh milk.
- Store this smooth paste in the refrigerator.
- Use this as a facial mask twice a day for 10 minutes each time.
8. Rose Hip Oil
Rose hip oil is another essential oil that is one of the most effective home remedies for rosacea. This oil is a well-known treatment for several different kinds of skin problems in addition to rosacea, including blisters, sunburn, scars, and eczema. This essential oil helps with wound healing and regenerate new skin cells.
- Apply several drops of rose hip oil on the affected skin.
- Gently massage it onto the skin.
- Repeat this every day until you see an improvement.
9. Manuka Honey
Manuka honey is a great home remedy for rosacea, also one of the most common. It has antimicrobial properties that kill bacteria and help prevent breakouts of rosacea. It also helps keep skin moisturized without an oily residue. Its antioxidant properties help reduce redness and inflammation, prevent scarring, and encourage healing.
- Massage in a circular motion 2 tablespoons of raw manuka honey onto your skin.
- Let it sit for 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with warm water.
- Repeat this process twice a week.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is another home remedy that is used for many health ailments, and it is one of the great home remedies for rosacea. It is a powerful acidic cleanser that protects the skin from damage caused by external forces like pollution and free radicals. This helps fight inflammation and infection that are a result of rosacea.
- Mix together apple cider vinegar with water at a 1:1 ratio.
- Shake the mixture well and apply it to a cotton ball.
- Use this as a toner for your face after washing it and before moisturizing.
11. Lavender Oil
Like some other essential oils, lavender oil has both antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. It is used to treat a wide variety of skin conditions, including rosacea. It will also help ease painful inflammation as well as shrink the facial blood vessels. This is a simple and inexpensive home remedy to keep on hand.
- Soak a cotton ball in pure lavender oil.
- Gently massage it onto the affected areas of your skin.
- Repeat this once a day for two weeks.
12. Wear Sunscreen
Because UV light aggravates rosacea, it is important for anyone who is experiencing a flare up to use sunscreen, especially on sensitive areas of the skin. Otherwise, rosacea symptoms can worsen. Studies show that using sunscreen on a daily basis provides significant benefits against rosacea flare-ups. It is important to get adequate exposure to the sun for vitamin D production, but it is important to keep your face protected while doing so. The sun is actually one of the strongest aggressors of rosacea, so it is important to find a sunscreen that is right for your skin and wear it each day.
- Find a gentle sunscreen that is easy on your skin.
- Apply it in a thin layer every morning before leaving the house.
All in all, home remedies for rosacea are typically inexpensive and easy to find at the store. Try out a few home remedies to see which works best for you and then stick with it, even if you are not currently experiencing symptoms of rosacea. If your rosacea does not respond to any of these treatments, it may be important to have a doctor suggest a prescription medication. However, these home remedies should at least provide temporary relief, even in the worst of cases. What home remedy for rosacea worked well for you? Share your experience with us below.