Scars are a part of life because the average human comes across different situations that may result in skin damage. An accident in the kitchen, a fall when playing, or an incident at work are examples of some causes of scars. Minor scarring doesn’t bother most people, and you may not have a problem living with some of it. However, some scars may leave unsightly blemishes on your skin that makes it necessary to find reliable treatment. Home remedies for scars offer various solutions that are safe for use and readily available. With natural treatments, you won’t have to fret over what is absorbed into your skin.
Learn how to remove scars fast with our natural home remedies for scars
1. Olive Oil
Another home remedy for scars you can try out is olive oil because it is laden with vitamin E. it softens the skin and moisturizes it, which enhances the ability of the organ to heal itself. Olives are, especially suitable as natural treatments when dealing with scars from cuts and surgery. Besides olive oil, the juice from its leaves is also useful in treating scars.
- Put extra virgin oil on your palm and massage the affected area.
- Give it half an hour to absorb properly.
- Use a damp cloth to wipe off the oil.
2. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is the must-have of natural skin care. It contains a myriad of nutrients that are instrumental in the wound healing process. The plant repairs damaged tissues, which allow the skin to recover from trauma with minimal scarring. If you are just recuperating from a recent injury, aloe vera offers a great way to moisturize your skin. Use aloe vera while scars are still young for the best results.
- Cut a fresh aloe vera leaf.
- Massage the gel on the scar and let it absorb for 30 minutes.
- Wash off with warm water.
- Repeat thrice daily for best outcomes.
*Aloe vera is not suitable for open wounds!
Honey offers a host of therapeutic benefits among them, scar healing. Being a natural moisturizer, honey is one of the best scars home remedies. It facilitates the regeneration of tissue, which allows the skin to recover its original structure. Honey also possesses wound healing qualities, meaning your injuries can recover nicely and minimize the degree of scarring.
- Apply honey on the scar.
- Tie with a bandage overnight.
- Remove the bandage and clean with warm water.
- Make a scrub with honey and crystallized sugar.
- Rub the mixture on the scarred region for several minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly and pat dry.
- Apply moisturizer.
- Repeat the remedy once weekly.
4. Indian Gooseberry
The Indian gooseberry (amla) is used as one of the home remedies for scars because it has very powerful wound-healing traits. For this reason, Amla is recommended for relatively fresh wounds. After suffering from a cut or nasty bruise, the vitamin C in Indian gooseberry nourishes the skin and helps it to regenerate new tissues at a speedy rate. Additionally, it soothes the skin and reduces the appearance of scars.
- Grind Indian gooseberry leaves into a powder.
- Mix it with water or olive oil to make a paste.
- Apply the mixture to the scarred area and leave it for 10 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water.
- Use daily.
5. Oatmeal and Yogurt
When dealing with acne scars, oatmeal and yogurt are two common foods that you can blend to make an effective home remedy for scars. Oatmeal is renowned for its dermatological uses. It is appropriate for someone with eczema and other conditions that may blemish the skin. An oatmeal and yogurt scrub will remove dead skin cells and help the regeneration of new ones.
- Grind oatmeal into a powder.
- Mix in equal parts with yogurt.
- Add 4 drops of lemon juice to the scrub.
- Apply and let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Rinse it off and pat the skin dry.
- Repeat 3-4 times every day until the scar starts to fade.
6. Tea Tree Oil
When talking about skin care, tea tree is one of the plants on the list. The Australian plant is considered one of the best natural treatments for acne scarring, hence its inclusion in various beauty products. It is also a great skin healer and moisturizer, which helps reduce scarring. Tea tree oil possesses anti-inflammatory traits, which is a reason why it is on our list of home remedies for scars.
- Blend tea tree oil and water in equal parts.
- Wash the scarred region.
- Use it 3 times a day.
- Or, mix 3 drops of tea tree oil with a teaspoon of almond oil.
- Apply the combination on the affected skin and wait 30 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Use this remedy once daily.
Another way that you can get rid of scars is to use sandalwood paste or essential oil. Sandalwood is one of the oldest home remedies for scars as it is excellent at stimulating the receptor cells in the skin. Because of this, sandalwood regenerates skin and accelerates healing, which contributes to the fading of scars. The plant is also a mild astringent meaning it has the power to trigger contractions in soft tissue such as the skin.
- Mix a teaspoon of sandalwood powder with milk or rosewater to make a paste.
- Rub the paste on the scar in circular motions.
- Let it sit for 1 hour.
- Wash it off with cold water.
- Use the remedy daily.
The alpha hydroxyl acids found in lemons give the citrus fruit healing properties that come in handy when treating scars. Lemon is one of the reliable home remedies for scars that help with different kinds of skin blemishes from acne to cuts. The vitamin C in it is essential for regenerating damaged skin and helping cells repair themselves. Lemon also enhances the elasticity of the skin, which allows it to grow properly over a wound.
- Squeeze a fresh lemon.
- Use cotton to apply the juice to the scarred region
- Wait 10 minutes.
- Wash off with warm water.
- Add vitamin E or rosewater to dilute some lemon juice if you have sensitive skin.
- Use the remedy once daily until scarring starts to clear.
*Avoid sun exposure immediately after using the treatment, because lemon increases the photosensitivity of the skin.
9. Lavender Oil
Lavender is not just exceptional for aromatherapy, it has healing qualities, which make it one of the effective home remedies for scars. The essential oil plays a big role in the formation of healthy skin cells, particularly for burn injuries. Lavender will also minimize the effects of eczema and other skin conditions, which reduces scarring. Your skin also benefits from the moisturizing power of lavender oil.
- Put a few lavender oil drop on a cotton ball.
- Put the cotton ball on the affected region.
- Repeat that until the scar is gone.
10. Coconut Oil
Coconut is one of the top home remedies for scars due to its antioxidant content. It combats free radicals and detoxifies the skin, thereby reducing healing time. The vitamin E in it allows new cells to form and prevents the skin from further scarring. Coconut contains various acids including capric, lauric, and caprylic, which are vital in collagen production.
- Heat extra coconut oil for a few seconds
- Using your palm, massage the oil on the affected sections for 5 minutes.
- Let the oil soak for an hour then wipe it.
- Apply 2-4 times every day to improve the appearance of blemishes and scars.
11. Calendula Oil
Another essential oil that provides a viable alternative for scars home remedies is calendula. Its plant-based antioxidants are useful in preventing the damage caused by free radicals, consequently reducing scarring. The plant also has linoleic acid, which is a potent anti-inflammatory, meaning calendula oil is ideal for wound healing. Calendula also increases skin firmness and hydration, which allow wounds to close faster.
- Apply calendula oil to the affected skin.
- Let it soak for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with warm water.
12. Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek is very efficient in treating acne scars because it has anti-inflammatory traits that help with wound healing, especially in burns. The plant is excellent at evening out the skin tone, and that goes a long way in reducing the marks left by injuries or skin conditions. Fenugreek also soothes the skin and gives it a glow, which reduces the unsightly nature of skin marks.
- Soak fenugreek seeds in water overnight.
- Grind the seeds into a paste.
- Put the paste on the scarred region for 20 minutes.
- Use the remedy regularly until scars start to fade.
The lycopene found in papaya is one of the reasons it qualifies for the list of home remedies for scars. This compound allows papaya to fight free radicals, which minimizes the damage that occurs to the skin after an injury. Papaya is, particularly popular as a natural cure for burns. The fruit is also effective in lightening the skin, which improves the appearance of blemishes. Papaya is also a natural exfoliator, meaning it will remove dead skin cells and allow new ones to regenerate.
- Blend a papaya to extract its juice.
- Apply the extract to the injured area.
- Leave it for 30 minutes.
- Wash off with clean water.
14. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar makes a great exfoliating agent because it is acidic. By removing dead skin cells on a scar, apple cider vinegar gives the skin a chance to grow new tissue, which covers the wound properly. ACV also promotes healthy skin cells, meaning your injuries can heal faster and minimize scarring. The substance also improves the texture of your skin and consequently, the appearance of blemishes.
- Dip cotton in apple cider vinegar and dab on injured skin.
- Let it soak for 5 minutes then wash it off.
- Repeat until scar disappears.
15. Carrot Seed Oil
Carrot seed oil is one of the top choices for natural scar treatment because it has multiple healing traits. It is an antioxidant, so it will eliminate free radicals and prevent skin damage. Carrot seed is a stimulant, hence it encourages skin cells to regenerate during wound healing. It is a detoxifying agent, disinfectant and antiseptic, all of which result in healthy skin.
- Soak cotton in carrot seed oil.
- Apply on a scar for 20 minutes.
- Wipe it off with a damp cloth.
Scars may be common, but some can interfere with an individual’s self-esteem. Severe scarring from skin conditions or injury can make you feel self-conscious. However, you can eliminate them using different home remedies for scars. The advantage of natural treatments is that they don’t pose health risks and most of them are right there in your kitchen. Most of these remedies make great home remedies for acne scars as well. Which one has it worked for you? Let us know in a comment below!