Sebaceous cysts can be an embarrassing problem. If you’re looking to find out how to get rid of sebaceous cyst growths, you’ll need to see a doctor. There is no way to remove a cyst on your own, however, in some cases, the cyst will go away over time. It is possible to address the tenderness, pain, and redness that can be problematic. Home remedies for sebaceous cyst can help to ease the discomfort that you’re experiencing and save you a trip to the doctor.
Use our home remedies for sebaceous cyst to get fast pain relief
Take a look at our infographic for a quick overview of the most common home remedies for sebaceous cyst:
1. Warm, Moist Compresses
If the pain from a sebaceous cyst is getting in the way of your day, then be sure that warm, moist compresses could give you the relief that you need to focus on your daily routine. Compresses can ease some of the inflammation. The heat also helps to enhance circulation to the cyst, so that the fluid that has accumulated inside of it can drain. When used regularly, warm compresses could help the sebaceous cyst heal more quickly.
- Soak a clean washcloth in warm water.
- Ring out the washcloth to remove excess water.
- Press the wet cloth against the sebaceous cyst until the washcloth cools off.
- Repeat 4 to 5 times per day.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a sebaceous cyst home remedy that has been passed down through generations. People use this home remedy for sebaceous cyst growths in order to encourage draining and potentially help the cyst heal more quickly. However, it is not intended to reduce discomfort associated with the cyst. The vinegar contains acetic acid, which has the ability to fight bacteria. Pure acetic acid is sometimes used in the clinical treatment of sebaceous cysts. Also being one of the best home remedies for plantar warts.
- Place about 1/8 cup of apple cider vinegar in a shallow bowl.
- Dip a clean cotton ball in the vinegar and then apply the vinegar all over the cyst.
- Immediately cover the cyst with a sterilized gauze bandage.
- Repeat this process every day, using a fresh cotton ball and a fresh bandage.
Ordinary cabbage that you can purchase at the grocery store is one of the best home remedies for sebaceous cyst. The idea behind using cabbage leaves as a sebaceous cyst home remedy is that the cabbage may help the cyst drain to accelerate the healing process. People also report that this home remedy feels pleasant and helps to take some of the tenderness, pain, and discomfort of the cyst away.
- Remove three large cabbage leaves from the head.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil on the stove.
- Place the cabbage leaves inside it once the water is boiling.
- Allow the leaves to boil for 3 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and drain out the water.
- Let the cabbage leaves sit for about 2 minutes.
- Layer the cabbage leaves on top of the cyst.
- Place a clean, dry washcloth over top of the leaves.
- Leave this poultice in place until the cabbage leaves are no longer warm or for at least 15 minutes.
- Repeat this process twice daily until the sebaceous cyst has healed.
4. Castor Oil and Baking Soda
[amazon box= “B00XE58NJ8,B002SKVZIQ” template=”table”]
Castor oil and baking soda make up another home remedy for sebaceous cyst growths that are generations old. Some people use castor oil on its own as a sebaceous cyst home remedy, but the combination of the two ingredients is reportedly more effective at encouraging the cysts to drain.
- Mix 1/8 cup of castor oil and 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in a shallow bowl.
- Use a cotton ball to cover the sebaceous cyst with the mixture.
- Throw away any leftover mixture.
- Repeat these steps twice per day until your symptoms improve.
5. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is made from a mix of minerals and contains large amounts of magnesium and sulfate. Even tough Epsom salt will probably not get rid of the cysts, the salt is known to be a natural pain reliever. As a home remedy for sebaceous cyst growths, Epsom salt can help to take the discomfort away, so that you can feel more comfortable while your skin heals. You can also use Epsom salt as a great home remedy for constipation.
- Fill your bathtub with warm water.
- Add 1 cup of Epsom salt to the tub.
- Sit in the warm water for at least 15 minutes, making sure that the cyst is fully submerged.
- Repeat this process at least once per day as needed to control your symptoms.
6. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel is rich in tannins which are proven to tighten the pores and help the problem of oily skin. Both the bark and the leaves of witch hazel can be used as ingredients of home remedies for sebaceous cyst.
- Take two tablespoons of dried witch hazel leaves and grind them.
- Add ½ cup of water and mix until you get a homogeneous paste.
- Apply the mixture to the cyst and cover with a clean medical gauze.
- Remove after 20 minutes and rinse the area.
- Repeat every day until the cyst starts to reduce.
7. Raw Potato
Believe it or not, people use potatoes as a sebaceous cyst home remedy and have done so for centuries. Potato may help you to get rid of a sebaceous cyst by helping the fluid inside of the cyst well up so that it can then drain. Some people say that the nutrients in potatoes assist with healing, and that warm potato may also take some of the pain away from the cyst.
- Get a potato that is slightly larger in diameter than the size of your cyst.
- Cut off a slice of potato about 1/4 inch thick.
- Put the potato slice in the microwave for 5 to 10 seconds until it gets warm.
- Place the potato slice directly on the cyst.
- Use medical gauze to fix it in place and leave overnight.
- Repeat this every night until the sebaceous cyst has healed.
8. Green or Black Tea with Milk
[amazon box= “B0042IMPTU,B003SO4JBG” template=”table”]
Tea has been used as a home remedy for a wide range of conditions for centuries. The leaves of black and green tea are naturally anti-inflammatory, meaning that they can reduce swelling and ease the pain. As a sebaceous cyst home remedy, black or green tea bags can soothe discomfort and could potentially decrease the size of cysts. Using milk enhances the benefits of the tea, as milk also has mild anti-inflammatory properties.
- Remove a green or a black tea bag from the package before bedtime.
- Heat up 2 ounces of whole fat milk on the stove over medium-high heat.
- Dip the tea bag in the milk, dunking it until it is saturated with the warm liquid.
- Press the teabag onto the sebaceous cyst.
- Put a clean sterile gauze bandage over top of the sebaceous cyst and use first aid tape to keep it in place.
- Keep it overnight and remove the bandage and teabag in the morning.
- Repeat this every night until the sebaceous cyst has healed.
9. Honey and Cinnamon
[amazon box= “B00CMQD3VS,B01I3DWZLM” template=”table”]
Honey and cinnamon are a great combination which is often used as a home remedy for sebaceous cyst. The mixture of honey and the spicy cinnamon is shown to reduce swelling and help speed up the healing process. Additionally, this combination is effective as a home remedy for pimples as well.
- Mix 3 tablespoons of honey with 1 tablespoon of cinnamon powder.
- Apply the mixture in a thick layer over the cyst.
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes and then rinse with clean water.
- Repeat the treatment twice a day until you notice the swelling reduce.
10. Echinacea Tea
Echinacea has many health benefits as it boosts the immune system and helps increase the number of white blood cells. This is why Echinacea helps reduce infections in the body, being one of the most recommended home remedies for sebaceous cyst. You can prepare a tea with the dried leaves of this plant which will help reduce the cyst, this tea is also great to be used as a home remedy for bronchitis.
- Take 2 tablespoons of dried Echinacea leaves and add it to a cup of boiling water.
- Let it steep for 10 minutes and then strain the tea.
- Let the tea cool down and drink it.
- Enjoy the Echinacea tea 2 or 3 times per day to help heal the cyst.
11. Aloe Vera
The phenolic compounds in aloe vera have antibiotic properties, making it one of the best natural home remedies for sebaceous cyst. All you need to do is extract some of the aloe vera juice and apply it topically. Additionally, you can drink aloe vera juice to prevent the development of other cysts. This plant is also one of the best home remedies for vaginal yeast infection.
- Take a leaf of a fresh aloe vera plant and wash it.
- Squeeze the juice out, or peel it and blend it in a blender.
- Apply directly to the cyst and the surrounding area.
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes then rinse with cold water.
- Repeat the process 2 times per day.
12. Rosewater and Sandalwood
[amazon box= “B00FOAGAUK,B06Y2KD2GY” template=”table”]
Although sandalwood powder will not completely heal the sebaceous cyst, its antifungal properties will alleviate the pain caused by the inflammation. The rosewater and sandalwood mix is ideal as a home remedy for sebaceous cyst as it will eliminate the most unpleasant effects of the cyst: swelling and redness.
- Mix 2 tbsp of sandalwood powder with 5 tbsp of rosewater.
- Stir until you obtain a thick paste.
- Apply the paste to the cyst.
- Leave it on until it dries and thickens.
- Rinse the area with cold water.
- Repeat 3 to 4 times daily.
If home remedies for sebaceous cyst growths fail to give you relief from your symptoms, it is best to schedule an appointment to see your doctor. Also, injections or surgery may be able to get rid of sebaceous cyst growths. We know for sure our home remedies for sebaceous cyst will help ease the pain and swelling. Please tell us in a comment below which of these remedies was most effective for you!