Sensitive teeth represent a condition through which your teeth’s contact with cold, hot, sweet, or sour types of foods send jolts of pain right to the nerve endings of your teeth. There are certain conditions of your teeth which can develop into this particular sensitivity. Examples include cavities, fractured teeth, gum diseases, exposed roots, etc. Regardless of the source, however, there’s no denying that the end result is about as infuriating and difficult to deal with as it gets. It makes eating and carrying on with other perfectly normal activities a true challenge. Luckily, you can postpone your visit to the dentist’s office and opt instead for one of the home remedies for sensitive teeth that you’re about to discover in the following paragraphs. We’ve chosen natural, affordable, and easy-to-acquire options, specifically to make things for you as easy as possible.
1. Salt Water
You might sometimes have too many harmful bacteria in your mouth which will ultimately lead to the development of a condition that can cause tooth sensitivity. If that’s the case, you should go for a treatment such as salt water. Salt water is capable of restoring the pH balance in your mouth to a level which creates an alkaline environment. And in this kind of environment, the lifespan of bacteria is pretty short-lived.
- Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of salt into 1 cup of water.
- Rinse your mouth using this salty solution.
- You should preferably swoosh it around your mouth, but if you find that this process is too painful, you should instead simply try idly holding it in.
- Spit out and then clean your mouth using plain, fresh water.
- Repeat this treatment until you finally get to the effects you desire.
2. Baking Soda
Weakened and damaged enamel can also be the cause of a plethora of conditions and diseases, including the one we’re currently talking about. As a result, it’s very important to look for home remedies for sensitive teeth that can help you restore this crucial layer of enamel coating your teeth. Baking soda can help you do precisely that: harden your enamel and make your teeth as strong as they were.
- Stir 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda into 1/4 cup of water.
- Then, rinse your mouth using this solution. You should also swoosh it around your mouth, but opt for simply holding it in if you find this process to be too painful.
- Alternatively, you can add less water and create a consistency out of the two that allows you to brush your teeth using it. Just be careful not to scrub too hard, otherwise you’ll just end up damaging your enamel more!
3. Chewing Gum
As strange as it may sound, chewing gum does actually have some serious dental properties. When you chew on a piece of gum, you increase the volume of saliva that your glands secrete in your mouth. And when you have enough saliva, you can strengthen your teeth and the enamel that’s protecting them.
- Purchase sugar-free gum. Sugar can actually worsen your sensitivity
- Chew slowly, and avoid straining your jaw
- If your teeth are extremely sensitivie, roll the gum arround before chewing, to let it soften
4. Guava Leaves
Guava leaves are an ancient kind of treatment that many people have been using for decades to help them deal with various types of aches. This is one of those home remedies for sensitive teeth that you should consider if you experience sharp pains whenever you get in contact with certain foods. Guava leaves are excellent for soothing and relieving this pain. You can use a natural mouthwash made of guava leaves for as a natural treatment for sensitive teeth.
- Place 4-5 guava leaves in 1 cup of boiling water
- Add a little bit of salt.
- You should then use this solution as a mouthwash every morning until the problem fades away.
- You can also chew the softened guava leaves in-between rinsing with the mouthwash
Onion is an excellent agent of health, being able to contribute to the recovery from a number of various conditions. It’s rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties that make it an excellent treatment for teeth sensitivity. Onions will soothe the pangs of pain and they will also kill the bacteria inhabiting your mouth and threatening to cause an infection breakout.
- Take one medium-sized onion
- Cut out a small piece which can fit comfortably in your mouth and over the tooth that’s giving you trouble.
- Place it over the tooth in talk
- Keep the onion piece on top for around 5 minutes.
- Next, take it out and then rinse and cleanse using salt water in order to get rid of the pesky onion breath.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times a day for a few days until you no longer experience the discomfort.
Garlic, just like onion, is very common in many people’s households, making it one of the home remedies for sensitive teeth both accessible and cheap. Whenever you’re in doubt about what you can do to ease tooth ache, you can always reach out for the closest garlic. Aside from being able to kill harmful bacteria, garlic also serves as an analgesic that will make the pain submerge and make you feel comfortable again.
- Take 1 garlic clove and then crush it.
- Add in 2-3 drops of water and a little bit of salt and then stir everything together.
- Apply this pasty mixture directly to the tooth that’s troubling you.
- Finally, after a few minutes of letting it sit inside of your mouth, rinse with fresh water.
- Repeat these steps several times a day until you’re seeing the results that you desire.
Cloves and clove oil alike have been incredible remedies against various kinds of inflammations since the oldest of times. Many people have been using them because of how well they can soothe various pains and bring relief to those struggling with aches. Furthermore, cloves also have antibacterial properties that will keep various infections at bay.
- Grab 2 clove leaves and then grind them.
- Add in a little bit of olive oil and then stir until you form a mixture of pasty consistency.
- Afterwards, apply this paste directly to the tooth that’s giving you trouble.
- Alternatively, you can grab a cotton ball and then dip it in a little bit of clove oil.
- Gently pat the cotton ball directly onto the tooth that’s suffering, leaving it on against the tooth for another extra 20-30 minutes.
8. Oregano Oil
Oregano oil is one of the many home remedies for sensitive teeth that contain special anti-inflammatory properties. They are the ones that make oregano oil a very competent treatment against the pain which comes with this particular sensitivity. Because of the antiseptic characteristics, it’s also good for keeping at bay the bacteria that could cause a potential infection.
- Drip 2-3 drops of oregano oil directly to the tip of your finger
- Gently dab it against the sensitive tooth.
- Wait for 10-15 minutes
- Rinse off with clear water.
- Undergo this process twice a day for the next couple of days or so for the best of results.
There is a reason why mint is a primary ingredient in plenty of toothpastes. Aside from providing you with a fresh aftertaste, they can also really help improve the sensitivity of your teeth. Mint has certain anti-inflammatory properties, just like all the other home remedies for sensitive teeth that have worked wonders so far.
- You only need to acquire a few leaves of mint and to then drop them in a pot filled with water.
- Place the pot on the stove and then bring the water to a boil.
- Allow everything to steep for 20 minutes or so and then strain.
- Use the remaining solution as a mouthwash after it cools down completely.
- Do this 2-3 times a day for a few days until you’re noticing the symptoms submerge.
Ginger has a plethora of benefits that we can’t possibly ignore. Many people have been using ginger since ancient times to treat all kinds of infections. Therefore, it really doesn’t come off as a surprise that its anti-inflammatory properties go as far as to treat teeth sensitivity. Plus, it’s very easy to acquire and it will be of great use for other situations as well.
- Take a piece of ginger or a handful of grated ginger
- Extract the juice from them.
- Apply this juice directly onto the sensitive areas for an instant dose of relief.
- Repeat these steps a few times a day to start seeing some palpable results.
11. Margosa (Neem) Leaves
Margosa leaves definitely aren’t just among the most effective home remedies for sensitive teeth that you could acquire. They are excellent for a plethora of things, which is why medicine is no stranger to these curious herbs.
- Crush the margosa leaves to a fine powder
- Add a few drops of oregano oil to the powder to form a paste.
- Gently massage directly on your tooth to bring it some pain relief.
Sensitive teeth truly aren’t an uncommon issue. Sometimes this issue arises as a result of bad oral health, sure. But sometimes it has nothing to do with that. Bacteria and the weakening of your teeth’s enamel are both major contributing factors that can determine whether you might become a victim of this condition. Hopefully our home remedies for sensitive teeth have proven of great help. Which treatment that’s not on your list have you tried before to see some positive results?