Shortness of breath can sometimes be that feeling you experience after you’ve run up a hill and you’re quite literally trying to regain your breath. However, in other instances, it can be the result of a condition instead, like infections of the respiratory tract, allergies, or signs of a cold. In fact, most associate this condition with asthma, deeming them as one and the same. For the instances where you experience this situation due to some internal or external factors and not due to physical activity, we have prepared some home remedies for shortness of breath to help you out.
These useful remedies for shortness of breath will help you breathe better soon
Please include attribution to HomeRemedyBook.com with this graphic.
Share this Image On Your Site
When struggling with breathlessness, you can always rely on ginger. Assuming that it’s an inflammation or some sort of infection that’s behind your current predicament, you’ll be able to rather quickly get out of this sticky situation by treating it with some ginger. It’s an excellent and famous remedy that humanity has used as an anti-inflammatory agent against various infections including for upper respiratory infections for a lot of time now. Ginger will help you unclog or unblock respiratory tracts, contributing to the better functioning of your lungs and, ultimately, the return of the breath you’ve ‘lost.’
- Gently warm up 3 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Mix it with 1/4 glass of apple juice.
- Add juice from half a lemon and a small piece of ginger.
- Stir everything through and through and drink this mixture daily.
- A great tasting healthy. Organic, Heirloom, Non-GMO
- Easy to Grow and Harvest from Bulb
- Great Producer--Lots of Bulbs per plant
- Better Than Anything in the Store
- Good for Flavorful Cooking
For the same kind of circumstances, inflammation or infection of the respiratory tract, garlic is another treatment that you can definitely rely on in order to get the kind of relief that you’re looking for. Garlic is a near-ancient anti-inflammatory agent that will treat the issue right at its roots. Those that suffer from asthma have been using garlic or garlic-based treatments to deal with their issue for a very long time.
- Grind a few garlic cloves and then add them to a pot of water.
- Place the pot on the stove and leave it to boil for a few minutes.
- Add black pepper and cumin seeds to balance out the taste if you wish.
- Remove from heat and strain.
- Drink the mixture while at room temperature 3 times a day.
Honey is a natural decongestant, this basically means that it’s a product which aims to remove obstacles that might be standing in the way of certain bodily processes. In this case, we’re talking about whatever allergy-inducing substance has made its way in and is currently leaving you gasping for breath quite literally. Use honey to deal with breathlessness caused by allergic reactions and to unclog your respiratory tracts.
- 100% Pure, Pesticide Free, Delicious USDA Organic Honey
- No Antibiotics ever used on the hives. Our organic bees are healthy!
- Raw & never heated above natural hive temperatures to maintain vital nutrients
- Non Glyphosate & Fair Trade Certified, Non GMO Project Verified, Gluten Free, Grade A, Kosher
- 1 LB (16 oz) jar of Wholesome Organic Raw Unfiltered Honey -- Spreadable, whipped texture, 3 pack
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of raw, organic honey over 1 cup of water.
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Mix everything thoroughly and then drink this solution.
- Consume the mixture twice a day for 1 week.
4. Dried Figs
- 2 - 1LB Re-Closeable Bags of Freshly Dried Turkish Figs, Packaged on dedicated Allergen Free equipment in Rhode Island by our Specialy trained staff.
- GERBS All-Natural Pledge = Non GMO, No Trans-fats, cooking oils, chemicals, preservatives, Nothing artificial added! The way mother nature intended our foods to be, made from scratch, to taste great, keep you healthy, & provide natural energy!
- Gerbs Certified Allergen Statement - Our entire product line is: Gluten, Wheat, Peanut, Tree-Nut, Soy, Egg, Milk/Dairy, Sesame, Mustard, Shellfish & Fish FREE!
- High in Fiber, Antioxidants, Omega Fats, and loaded with Protein. Low Carb's. Naturally Heart Healthy & Cholesterol Free. Essential piece to any healthy life style! Featured Ingredient on Dr. Oz.
- Shop our other trusted Gerbs Categories: Seeds, Salad Mixes, Seed Butters, Snack Mixes, Fruit Medley's, Seed Meals, Dried Fruits, Grains, Flours, Granola's, Oats, & Chocolates.
Figs, particularly those of the dried kind, are fantastic home remedies for shortness of breath. They are in many instances the basis of plenty of asthma medications and treatments. Dried figs have the ability to unblock your respiratory tracts and to make it easier for oxygen to travel to your lungs.
- Grab a handful of dried figs and then place them in a container with honey.
- Soak the figs in honey for about 30 minutes and then eat the fruits.
- Repeat this process daily for the next couple of weeks.
- Great Taste In Salads
- Great to Fry With Other Vegetables
- Excellent to Bake With Pizza
- Adds Very Nice Color wWth Other Vegetables
Onions make an excellent anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial remedy. This is all thanks to the fact that they have a high concentration of sulfur, a compound that actually has many beneficial uses for your health. For starters, it can absorb toxins in the body. And toxins can often be the cause of a respiratory episode that’s led you down this downward spiral to begin with. In conclusion, if it’s some sort of toxin or inflammation that you’re suspecting as the culprit, don’t shy away from onions. They can also be used as a great home remedy for chest congestion.
- Chop an onion and then add it to 4 cups of water in a saucepan.
- Boil everything for 2-3 minutes.
- Add a pinch of salt and then let it all cool for 3-4 minutes.
- Strain and transfer to a bowl.
- Drink 1 cup of this juice 3 times a day for efficient and visible results.
6. Indian Gooseberry
- CERTIFIED USDA ORGANIC AMLA POWDER (PHYLLANTHUS EMBLICA) - 16oz Resealable Bag (1 Pound Value Size)
- IMPORTED 100% RAW FROM INDIA - This bag contains certified organic, 100% raw amla powder from subtropical India.
- HEALTHY & DELICIOUS - Indigenous to the Indian subcontinent, the amla fruit is a rich source of vitamin C and powerful antioxidants that work synergistically within the body to rejuvenate you. For centuries, natives have also used amla to condition hair and skin.
- FEEL GOOD ORGANICS - The highest quality, certified organic products at fair prices to help you live healthy & feel good.
- LOVE IT OR YOUR MONEY BACK - If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase of our Amla Powder for any reason, just email us and we'll refund your order in full, no questions asked!
Indian gooseberry, or Amla, is a fantastic treatment when you’re looking for something to make breathing easier for you again. It unblocks the respiratory tracks and widens them so that oxygen will pass easier. Similarly to other home remedies for shortness of breath, it can help you get rid of whatever it is that might be blocking your respiratory tubes. That is why this miracle plant also works great as a home remedy for dizziness.
- Add 1 teaspoon of Indian gooseberry powder to a glass of warm water.
- Stir everything thoroughly.
- Drink a glass of this solution every morning on an empty stomach.
- 1.9 ounces; Glass bottle
- Fragrant, sweet, organic Turkish fennel for celebrating fish, grains, soups and salads
- Certfied Organic; Kosher
- Simply Organic is committed to supporting organic and sustainable farming communities.
- A Brand of Frontier Co-op, responsible to people and planet
Fennel is a pretty common remedy for a number of conditions, including this one. The reason why it’s one of the best home remedies for shortness of breath is because it can unblock respiratory tracks and improve circulation, thus enhancing the transport rates of oxygen throughout your body. This is also among the most popular home remedies for panic attacks.
- Boil some water and then add fennel seeds and crushed tea leaves to it.
- Leave the mixture steep for a few minutes.
- Add a quarter cup of milk.
- Strain and drink the mixture while still warm.
8. Licorice Root
Licorice root is one of the most famous anti-inflammatory and antioxidant treatments around. If you ever find yourself at lack of proper breathing, you can always count on a little bit of licorice tea to cleanse your respiratory tracks and even deal with possible infections and inflammations. This is also successfully used by people suffering from bronchitis and other upper respiratory infections.
- Licorice root is a natural expectorant and demulcent. It helps to soothe a dry cough and promotes clear and comfortable breathing. Licorice also supports a healthy male reproductive system, balanced adrenals, and proper function of the kidneys.
- Licorice is naturally moisturizing and helps to support lubrication in the gut. It soothes the mucous mebranes, balances excess acidity in the stomach lining, and supports comfortable digestion.
- Licorice has a natural skin lightening effect, and it can be used topically on areas of discoloration to encourage an even complexion. Licorice can also be used as a tooth powder to support oral health and fresh breath.
- Banyan Botanicals is committed to producing the highest quality Ayurvedic products using USDA certified organic herbs that are sustainably sourced and fairly traded. All our products are 3rd party tested to ensure product quality and safety.
- The Healthy Guarantee: If for any reason you are not satisfied with one of our products, we will gladly accept returns for a full product refund.
- Boil 2 cups of water.
- Add 2 teaspoons of licorice root powder.
- Let it steep for around 10 minutes and then strain.
- Drink this tea daily while it’s still warm.
9. Parsley Tea
- 0.26 ounces; Glass bottle
- Premium flat-leaf organic parsley for bright color and fresh flavor in, well, you name it!
- Certfied Organic; Kosher
- 1% of sales supports organic farming
- A Brand of Frontier Co-op, responsible to people and planet
Parsley is a great natural remedy whenever you’re in need to find something to help you regain your breath. Just like other home remedies for shortness of breath, it can really help you unclog your respiratory tracks. Moreover, it will absorb toxins that might be the reason why you were not breathing so well in the first place. Simply making a bit of parsley tea and drinking it throughout the day is also going to help you build up a resistance.
- Place fresh or dried parsley in a cup and then pour 2 cups of hot water over it.
- Allow the mixture to steep for 5 minutes.
- Strain and add 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Drink this solution 2-3 times a day as a regular practice.
Peppermint is a deeply relaxing ingredient that has cooling properties, perfect for those simply seeking some sort of aid to return the air to their lungs. Drinking on a peppermint solution is going to provide you with a feeling similar to brushing your teeth or chewing some mint gum. And as we all know, this is a feeling that really makes you feel like you’re breathing, thus making peppermint one of the immediate home remedies for shortness of breath to rely on.
- Add some fresh or dry leaves of peppermint to a cup of boiling water.
- Let it steep for a few minutes.
- Strain and then add some honey to give it a wonderful taste.
- Drink it 2 or 3 times a day for the effects to kick in.
11. Clove Oil
- The most UNIQUE and AMAZING SMELLING Clove on the market, in our opinion. If you are not ABSOLUTELY amazed, receive a full refund from the manufacturer, Healing Solutions, no questions asked!
- SUPERIOR EXPERIENCE: If you are just trying our Clove for the first time and you do not switch to it permanently as your new favorite oil the manufacturer, Healing Solutions, will refund your money, guaranteed.
- PURE + RIGOROUS QUALITY TESTING & CONTROLS: Distillation facility is GMP, ISO 9001 and Kosher certified, FDA Registered. Make sure ALL oils you buy have these qualifications * CHECK OUT OUR REVIEWS!! * In our opinion our oil is superior to organic and THE MOST RARE, BEST SMELLING, AND MOST THERAPEUTICALLY EFFECTIVE OF ALL Clove (Syzygium Aromatic)
- Healing Solutions is SUPERIOR because it offers over 170 different oils for blending/pairing including: Adoration Blend Agar Agarwood Ajowan Ajwain Allspice Ambrette Amyris Angelica Root Anise Star Aniseed Anti-Aging Aphrodisiac Balance Balsam Basil Bay Bergamot Betel Leaf Birch Black Pepper Blood Orange Breathe Cade Cajeput Calamus Root Calming Camphor Cananga Caraway Carrot Cassia Cedarwood Celery Seed Chamomile (German & Roman) Chili Seed Cinnamon Bark Cinnamon Leaf Citronella Fresh Citrus Bliss Clary Sage Cleaning Clove Coffee Copaiba Coriander Costmary Cumin Costus Cranberry Cypress Cyprioli Cubeb Curry Davana Deep Muscle Relief Dill Weed Dragon Rest Earth Wood Elemi Eucalyptus Elecampane Exhale Fennel Fenugreek Fir Needle Frangipani Frankincense French Lavender Galangal Garlic Geranium (Egypt) Ginger Gingergrass Good Night Goldenrod Grapefruit Guaiacwood Harmony Head Ease Helichrysum Hickory Nut Ho Wood Hope Horseradish Hydacheim Hyssop Idaho Invigorate Jamarosa Jasmine Absolute Joy Juniper Berry Key Lime Labdanum Ledum Lemon Lemon Linaloe Eucalyptus Lemon Myrtle Lemongrass Love Mace Mandarin Meditation Melaleuca See Melissa Mentha Mountain Mugwort Mustard Orris Myrrh Myrtle Neroli Niaouli Nutmeg Onion Oregano Palmarosa Palo Santo Paprika Oleoresin Palo Patchouli Peace Penny Royal Perilla Peppermint (like NOW foods) Peru Balsam Pest Shield Petitgrain Pimento Pine Pink Lotus Premium Thieves Protective (like Doterra & Young Living Purification) Ravensara Red Relaxation Renew Restoration Bulgarian Moroccan Rose Geranium Rosemary Rosehip Rosewood Sage Sandalwood Sensation Spearmint Spikenard Spruce Stay Alert Stress Relief (like Eden's Garden Plant Therapy & Guru) Styrax Benzoin (like Deep Blue OnGuard Diffuser) Sweet Ambiance Sweet Marjoram Sweet Orange Tangerine Tansy Thuja Thyme Tonka Bean Tree Tea Turmeric Valerian Vanilla Vetiver Wintergreen Zedoary and Ylang
Clove oil is one of the home remedies for shortness of breath that you should give a shot to if you happen to have a bottle nearby. It’s going to bring you the relief that you need and it’s not going to take a lot of time for the action to kick in either. This is also on our list of amazing 18 essential oils for allergies relief.
- Warm up a little bit of clove oil.
- Apply it to your chest by using massaging, circular motions. This will also stimulate circulation and boost your recovery.
- Keep doing this for 15 minutes.
- Repeat as many times as you need for the pain to completely submerge.
12. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is rich in excellent antioxidants that deal with toxins which may have gathered in or near your lungs. If you want to rapidly and efficiently regain your proper breathing, consider simply drinking a glass of the mixture below.
- Extends the shelf life of cut lemons
- Keeps cut lemons fresh and fragrant
- Easy to spot in a crowded refrigerator
- Fun for serving cut lemon wedges
- BPA free and dishwasher safe
- Add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
- Mix this solution and then drink it in order to get the results that you desire.
- Drink this mixture about 2-3 times a day.
13. Mustard Oil
- Organic Mustard Oil Unrefined Raw Virgin Cold Pressed Premium Quality Natural Pure
- Great in soaps, creams, lotions and for massage, used for chapped lips, diaper rash, dry skin
- It is commonly used in cooking.
- It reduces skin inflammation and helps in curing skin disorders.
- We make our natural non-GMO completely Organic 100% pure oils with the highest standards of quality and integrity. Our company does not test its products on animals.
Massage a bit of oil directly to your chest area in order to provide immediate comfort to your lungs and to be able to gradually strengthen them and avoid future similar episodes. Mustard oil is also one of the popular home remedies that you can use for an earache.
- Peel off 10 cloves of garlic then mince them.
- Put them in a saucepan and add 4 tablespoons of mustard oil.
- Heat up the mustard oil until the garlic cloves you’ve placed inside turn a brown shade.
- Let the mixture cool down to room temperature and then strain it.
- Massage this mixture into the sensitive area, preferably using a cotton pad or a ball for a better control.
It doesn’t necessarily have to do something with physical activity levels. Breathlessness mostly stems from the inside, which is why you need home remedies for shortness of breath like the ones we’ve enlisted above in order to deal with the internal causes. Next time you find yourself wheezing and panting, you should definitely give a shot to either of them. Got another effective remedy that you would like to recommend? Let us know in a comment below!