Sleep apnea is a surprisingly common condition, which reportedly affects over 22 million Americans, with roughly 80% of the cases being moderate to severe. A person suffering from this affliction experiences brief interruptions in breathing while they’re asleep. These interruptions can last between a few seconds to a couple of minutes and they usually involve resuming normal breathing with a snort or a gasp. If not treated, it can lead to some potential threats that could endanger the person. Luckily, especially if the condition is still mild, you can turn to home remedies for sleep apnea for an effective and natural treatment. Below, we will show you some examples of remedies you can use.
Chamomile is a soothing herb which contains certain compounds that can help with the relaxation of muscles and tissue, getting rid of the strains that inhibit proper breathing. It also boosts sleepiness and causes sedation, making it easier to fall into a deep and undisturbed sleep.
- Grab a cup of hot water and then add 2 teaspoons of dried chamomile.
- Next, cover and steep for around 5 minutes.
- Strain and then add a little bit of honey and cinnamon according to personal preference.
- For the effects to show, drink this mixture 1 hour before bed every day.
One of the causes of sleep apnea is the swelling of the throat area, which obstructs proper breathing. Honey contains anti-inflammatory properties that can help relax your throat muscles and allow appropriate air passage. Moreover, it can also aid with snoring by lubricating the throat.
- You can simply add 1 tablespoon of honey to a glass of warm water.
- Drink the mixture daily 1 hour before going to bed.
- Add 1 tablespoon of raw honey and the juice of half a lemon to a glass of warm water.
- Drink every morning on an empty stomach.
We definitely don’t recommend digesting cinnamon powder, as proven by the various Internet challenges. But mixed the right way, cinnamon consumption can serve as one of the most effective home remedies for sleep apnea. This is because cinnamon has strong sedative properties and compounds which favor combat against sleep apnea’s causes.
- Fill a container of choice with 1 cup of hot water.
- Then, add a medium-sized cinnamon stick and 1 tablespoon of grated ginger.
- Stir everything so that the aromas infuse the water.
- Boil for a few minutes.
- Next, strain and add some honey for taste.
- Drink before going to bed on a daily basis.
Garlic has strong anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Together, they can help open up airways to allow for better breathing. It also reduces swellings which might obstruct proper breathing, thus being a fantastic choice among home remedies for sleep apnea.
- The healthiest way to reap the benefits of garlic is by consuming it raw.
- On an empty stomach, try munching on 2 or 3 garlic pieces every day.
- Alternatively, try adding garlic to your cooking as frequently as possible.
Lavender mostly serves the purpose of being a soothing and relaxing sedative. But it’s also able to make your throat muscles relax, preventing the obstructions that could otherwise lead to sleep apnea. It’s also natural, offering a number of other health benefits.
- Lavender’s effects can trigger through scent alone. So, before bedtime, add a few drops of lavender essential oil to a tub of hot water, inhaling the steam while relaxing.
- To digest it, fill a cup with hot water and then add 2 teaspoons of dried lavender buds.
- Cover and steep for a minimum of 5 minutes.
- Strain and add honey according to taste.
- Drink the mixture 2 or 3 times a day.
6. Turmeric Milk
Turmeric milk contains amino acids, which have a number of great benefits, including being one of the most effective home remedies for sleep apnea. These acids contribute to a better and more relaxed sleep.
- Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric to a container with 1 cup of milk in.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Then, remove from heat and let it cool until it becomes warm.
- Drink it while it’s still warm before bedtime, every day.
Everyone knows that peppermint’s refreshing taste tends to allow for clearer and better breathing. As such, it can help ‘unclog’ airways to let oxygen have a better passage to your lungs, thus helping with sleep apnea symptoms. It can also prevent snoring.
- Infuse a cup of hot water with 1 tablespoon of crushed peppermint leaves.
- Cover and steep for a maximum of 10 minutes, to allow the infusing of aroma.
- Strain and then add some honey according to personal preference, for taste.
- Drink 2 or 3 cups every day while the tea is still warm.
Ginger has decongestant properties, meaning that it can remove obstructions from your airways or nasal passage, making it easier to breathe. It’s a natural way to breathe better and to deal with troublesome congestions.
- Add 1 cup of water to a heat-resistant container.
- Then, add a piece of crushed ginger.
- Next, set on stove and bring to a boil, letting it simmer until the quantity reduces to half.
- Filter the tea and then add some honey for a better taste.
- Preferably drink this mixture at night and while it’s still warm.
9. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt has strong anti-inflammatory properties, helping your muscles relax and get rid of the strain that could impair your sleeping. What’s more important, by being able to reduce inflammation, it’s a great way of dealing with sleep apnea and its main causes.
- Fill your bathtub with warm water.
- Next, add 2 cups of Epsom salt to the bath water, mixing well so that it dissipates throughout the entire quantity.
- At least 1 hour before bed, soak in this water and relax for around 20 minutes.
- Go through this process at least 2 or 3 times a week for the effects to take place.
There are some instances in which sleep apnea is the result of depression. Almonds can help soothe the symptoms of this particular situation. Tryptophan, the amino acid within almonds, boosts serotonin production, helping you become more relaxed both when awake and asleep.
- Take 3 or 4 almonds and then add them to a small cup of water.
- Let them soak in the water overnight.
- When you wake up the next day, peel off the skin and then eat the almonds on an empty stomach.
- Repeat this process on a daily basis for tangible results.
11. Olive Oil
Are there any wonders that olive oil can’t perform? It contains certain compounds which reduce swelling, including the one in your airways and nasal passages. With the inflamed tissue taken care of, the flow of air will have an easier time getting through for proper breathing. Definitely one of the home remedies for sleep apnea worth considering.
- In a cup, mix 1 and ½ teaspoon of pure extra-virgin olive oil with the same quantity of honey.
- Before bed, take 2-3 sips of this mixture every day for the effects to start to show.
- If drinking it raw is too much, simply involve it more in your cooking.
Cardamom is a pretty famous spice, especially thanks to its medical properties. It has numerous benefits, but serving as one of the home remedies for sleep apnea you could choose from is one of its most prominent. The spice has the ability to open up airways for proper breathing.
- Stir ½ teaspoon of cardamom powder into a glass of lukewarm water.
- Drink this mixture at least 30 minutes before bed.
- For the effects to be lasting and really show up, repeat this process on a daily basis.
Although definitely not as famous on a mainstream scale, nettle is an herb that wowed many scholars with its medical properties. It’s one of the best go-to treatments for dealing with nasal passage inflammations. This is because it has strong antihistaminic properties, making it one of the most powerful home remedies for sleep apnea.
- Add 1 tablespoon of dried nettle leaves to a pot containing 1 cup of boiling water.
- Steep for 5 minutes.
- Then, strain the tea for any excess nettle remains.
- Drink the tea while it’s still warm, at least 1 hour before bed, every day.
Nutmeg is rich in magnesium, a substance which many experts appreciate for its ability to combat insomnia and help with muscle relaxation. With these two combined, it’s an excellent way to treat sleep apnea at home and in a natural way.
- Simply add a pinch of nutmeg to a glass of warm milk or water.
- Drink it on a daily basis 1 hour before bedtime for the effects to kick in.
One big issue that people suffering from sleep apnea struggle with is the closing of their throats while sleeping. Bananas contain phospholipids, compounds which help keep the throat open, thus keeping at bay the main reason for sleep apnea.
- The easiest way to reap the benefits of bananas is by simply eating one 1 hour before bed.
- Alternatively, though, to get an even better intake of vitamins, you can try making banana smoothies instead.
The bottom line is that you absolutely don’t need to immediately resort to over-the-counter solutions to treat your sleeping issues. There are plenty of home remedies for sleep apnea that you can pick from and they are both accessible and natural. This way, you’ll be able to protect your health while dealing with this particular disorder. So, why don’t you try some of our suggestions and come back to tell us which one worked wonders?