Sore gums are the result of an affliction called gum swelling. It’s relatively common and, most of the time, it’s not something that you should worry about since it’s not a grave or untreatable issue. Naturally, though, it’s not a comfortable thing to suffer from. It can easily develop into episodes of pain, itchiness, or irritation. In fact, your gums may also sometimes bleed whenever you’re brushing your teeth. Certain afflictions such as gingivitis or teeth sensitivity may cause this condition. Further down the article, you will discover our top picks of home remedies for sore gums. They are all natural, cheap, and very easy to find, so give these treatments a shot for visible improvements.
Turmeric contains curcumin, a compound that many people praise for just how well it works against inflammations. The anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties of curcumin make turmeric one of the first home remedies for sore gums to greet our list. Plus, it’s a really common spice in many people’s kitchens, so you can easily find it when you’re in need of some.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder to a little bit of water and then stir to create a paste.
- With your clean finger, apply directly to your gums and teeth.
- Leave the substance to sit for 5 minutes and then gently massage your gums with it for another extra minute.
- Finally, rinse your mouth using warm water.
- Repeat this process daily for 1-2 weeks to see improvements.
2. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera has two main uses that get it to be so helpful when you’re dealing with sore gums. On one hand, it has deep anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. On the other hand, it also has some fantastic soothing properties that will bring instant relief to your gums and release you from the unpleasant aching.
- Acquire 1 aloe vera leaf and then cut it to procure the gel.
- Rub the gel with your clean finger directly against your teeth and massage for 1-2 minutes.
- Lastly, rinse using warm water and make sure to repeat the process daily until you’re noticing improvements in your condition.
3. Black Tea
Black tea contains compounds called tannins, which are excellent for treating inflammations of all sorts. So, if you have some extra bags of black tea lying around, rejoice in knowing that you happen to have some of the most reliable home remedies for sore gums around you. Furthermore, the antioxidant properties also ensure and promote a good oral health.
- Add a bag of black tea to a pot of water which you then bring to a boil.
- Let the tea steep in the water for 2-3 minutes.
- Next, wait for the mixture to cool down just enough to get safely in contact with your gums.
- Lastly, remove the black tea bag and press it against the sensitive area for 5 minutes.
- Rinse using salt-water solution and warm water and then turn this into a regular practice for palpable results.
4. Salt Water
Speaking of salt water… Salt is an excellent remedy for sore gums. This is because it has soothing properties that can help bring relief to your painful gums. But above that, salt also promotes good oral health due to its deep antiseptic properties. Obviously, this is an excellent thing since the last problem you need is some infection to give you extra headaches.
- First, make sure that you have a soft-bristle toothbrush so that you don’t enhance the sensitivity of your gums. Brush your teeth using it.
- Afterwards, carefully rub some salt against your gums, making sure to not grind too hard.
- Rinse off using warm water.
- Lastly, repeat this process daily to bring your gums back to the road to recovery. Furthermore, even once when they’re healthy again, better turn this practice into a habit around 2-3 times a week to prevent future issues.
5. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is a trustworthy ally when you’re in need of a good relieving agent for your sensitive gums. It contains strong antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, exactly the kind of things that you should look for in your home remedies for sore gums.
- Using tea tree oil for this issue is very easy. You can quickly whip out a natural, homemade mouthwash.
- Simply add a few drops of tea tree oil to a glass of water and then use it to rinse your mouth, swooshing the solution around for proper coverage.
- Keep doing this for 2-3 minutes and then spit out.
- Lastly, make this into a daily habit to see the benefits.
Warning! Be careful not to swallow any tea tree oil since it could cause some stomach problems for you.
6. Clove Oil
This is yet another type of oil that you should consider keeping near you since it’s excellent for providing relief to your gums and alienating pain. Clove oil has deep antimicrobial compounds and it can prevent infections in your mouth. Furthermore, it’s also an excellent analgesic to help you shrug off the pain in your gums.
- Using clove oil to bring relief to your swollen gums is as simple as rubbing a little bit of it directly to your gums.
- Do this for a few minutes and then rinse using warm water.
- Experts also say that chewing on some raw cloves will also do the trick.
Ginger is a natural analgesic and contains strong anti-inflammatory compounds. It’s one of the best home remedies for sore gums because of how effectively it tackles down pain and keeps at bay possible infections. Moreover, you can also find it really easily when you need it.
- Acquire a small piece of ginger and then crush and mash it, adding in a little bit of salt to form a paste.
- Apply directly to your gums and then leave it to sit and work its magic for 10-12 minutes.
- Lastly, rinse your mouth with warm water and turn this practice into a daily habit for the next few weeks.
8. Baking Soda
Baking soda is readily available and equally effective, so if you’re struggling with swollen gums, you should absolutely give it a shot to bring some relief and feel good again. It has great anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties, so it’s excellent for reducing pain and maintaining your oral health.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda with a pinch of turmeric until you get a mixture that you can apply to your gums.
- Use it to massage your gums for a few minutes.
- Finally, rinse with warm water and repeat this process daily for the next few days or until the pain goes away.
Lemon juice, specifically, is a powerful agent against numerous oral health issues, including sore gums. It has the excellent property of restoring the pH balance of your mouth to make sure to keep bacteria at bay. This happens by creating an alkaline environment. But, obviously, lemon juice will also help you get rid of the pain.
- Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to a glass of water and then mix everything together.
- Gargle with this mixture for a couple of minutes and then spit out.
- Rinse with normal, fresh water.
- Do this a couple of times every day until you get the results you want.
10. Essential Oils
There are certain essential oils which possess fantastic soothing properties. Some are very good at helping you get rid of pain, others are excellent at creating antibacterial environments, and others succeed at both. The point stands, though: some essential oils are truly amazing home remedies for sore gums.
- You are going to create a mixture of various essential oils.
- To a glass of water, add 2 drops of chamomile essential oil, 2 drops of tea tree essential oil, and 2 drops of peppermint essential oil.
- Rinse your mouth with this solution, swooshing it around for 2-3 minutes.
- Once you spit out, clean your mouth using normal water.
11. Castor Seed Oil
Castor seed oil is excellent when you’re in need of something to quickly help you with pain and inflammation. It has anti-inflammatory properties that can help you combat the swelling of your gums in basically no time. Where to mention that it’s also perfectly safe and natural?
- Take 1 camphor tablet and then crush it.
- Next, add a few drops of castor seed oil to the crushed camphor tablet, creating a paste from the two of them.
- Gently massage the mixture against your gums and then leave on for 2-3 minutes.
- Finally, rinse with lukewarm water and repeat this process daily for the weeks to come.
12. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar should be a must in any household and not just because it’s one of the most potent home remedies for sore gums that you could acquire. ACV’s strong antiseptic and anti-inflammatory characteristics make it an important ally in most situations where you have to deal with swellings.
- It’s very easy to use apple cider vinegar for your issue.
- You simply have to dilute it by mixing 1 part ACV with 1 part water.
- Next, use this solution as a mouthwash to relieve the pain.
- Repeat these steps daily for the next few days or until the pain goes away.
13. Vanilla Extract
Vanilla extract is useful for more than just creating excellent desserts. It’s a natural analgesic which can help you get rid of the swelling and pain in your gums. Using it is very easy too, as you will undoubtedly notice below.
- You simply have to drip a bit of vanilla extract to your clean fingertip and then apply directly to your gums, gently massaging it in.
- Remove the taste by rinsing with clean, fresh water.
- Repeat this as many times as you need for the symptoms to fade away.
Sore gums can make it really difficult to carry out simple tasks such as eating or drink, which is why you should really hurry in treating this condition. Hopefully the aforementioned home remedies for sore gums will do the trick for you and spare you the costly visit to your dentist’s office. Naturally, if none of these treatments are showing any improvements, you should ditch them and immediately go consult an expert since that might indicate a bigger problem.