A stomach virus comes with symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, and cramps, which can make your days unbearable. It can be one or a combination of various viruses, including rotaviruses, noroviruses, and adenoviruses. These viruses attack the digestive tract, causing inflammation. Being highly contagious, home remedies for stomach virus can help you recover faster and avoid spreading it. Taking medication when your tummy feels queasy all the time can add to your discomfort. Home remedies can help calm your intestines and reduce the inflammation in the stomach lining.
With our home remedies for stomach virus, you will feel better again.
Please include attribution to HomeRemedyBook.com with this graphic.
Share this Image On Your Site
1. Peppermint Tea
- 1 Pound Bulk Bag
- Cut and sifted; Non-irradiated; Botanical name: Mentha x piperita
- Frontier is a member owned Co-op, responsible to people and planet
All types of mint make effective home remedies for stomach virus because they contain antimicrobial and antiviral properties. Peppermint tea will kill the bacteria that cultivate and cause the infection in the intestines. The herb is also perfect for relieving bloating and gas, which are other symptoms you may have when suffering from viral gastroenteritis. Peppermint is a calmative, which is great for intestinal cramps.
- Boil a cup of water.
- Add a teaspoon of peppermint leaves.
- Allow steeping for 10 minutes.
- Strain the tea and drink.
- Take it 4-5 times a day between meals.
- A great tasting healthy. Organic, Heirloom, Non-GMO
- Easy to Grow and Harvest from Bulb
- Great Producer--Lots of Bulbs per plant
- Better Than Anything in the Store
- Good for Flavorful Cooking
Garlic is one of the best home remedies for stomach virus to first try out. The potent antibiotic qualities of garlic are what make it useful in fighting different types of viral infections in the digestive system. The antibacterial and antifungal properties add to its healing powers. You can also use garlic toast as a preventative measure if you are exposed to someone with a stomach bug.
- Chop fresh garlic cloves.
- Mix with honey.
- Eat a teaspoon immediately after preparing.
- Use remedy 2-3 times in a row to soothe the stomach lining.
*The stomach flu takes 2 to 3 days before clearing up, so if it takes longer, consult your doctor.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
- Serving Size - 1 tablespoon
- Does Not Contain: Preservatives.
Apple cider vinegar contains the soluble fiber pectin, which helps minimize vomiting and nausea. It is excellent at soothing an upset stomach, hence its use as one of the home remedies for stomach virus. Its acetic acid components help with pH level balancing, thus reducing infections in the digestive tract. Apple cider vinegar also gets rid of viruses and other microorganisms that contribute to stomach flu.
- Add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of warm water or fruit juice.
- Drink the solution 30 minutes before eating.
- Use remedy until stomach virus clears.
4. Chamomile Tea
Chamomile tea is a staple natural treatment that helps in dealing with many ailments. For stomach flu, chamomile works as a digestive relaxant that calms intestinal spasms. The herb is also ideal for treating diarrhea and vomiting. Chamomile will smooth an inflamed gut, which offers you relief for symptoms such as bloating and indigestion. Drinking herbal tea will help you sleep better as well, which is always difficult when suffering from a queasy tummy.
- 1 Pound Bulk Bag
- Whole flowers; Non-irradiated; Botanical name: Matricaria recutita
- Certified Organic, Kosher Certified
- Frontier is a member owned Co-op, responsible to people and planet
- Boil a cup of water.
- Add a tablespoon of fresh chamomile or 2 of dried chamomile flowers.
- Give it 10-15 minutes to steep.
- Strain then add ½ teaspoon of honey or lemon juice for flavor.
- Drink thrice daily for 2-3 days to treat stomach virus.
- 2 lbs. Fresh Ginger Root
- Fresh ginger is a staple in my kitchen. It is an extremely versatile ingredient.
- Ginger can be sliced into planks or matchsticks, chopped, grated, puréed, and minced,
Ginger is another kitchen spice that can provide relief when nursing a stomach virus. The herb is a natural remedy for nausea as well as for vomiting. It will get rid of your bloating, vomiting and tummy cramps. Ginger has anti-inflammatory effects, so it is perfect for treating inflammation in the digestive tract. It is also excellent for decreasing the rate of loose stools. However, ginger is not advisable for individuals with hypertension.
- Boil 2 cups of water.
- Chop fresh ginger and add to the water.
- Cover and leave it to steep for 10 minutes.
- Drink ginger tea 3-4 times a day until the stomach stops acting up.
- Chew fresh ginger sprinkled with salt to calm the digestive system as an alternative.
6. Lemon Juice
The antiseptic qualities present in lemon juice make it one of the top home remedies for stomach virus. It rids your digestive system of infections and makes your gut inhospitable for organisms to breed. There is also the Vitamin C that is excellent in building up your immune system, which can be quite vulnerable after constant vomiting and diarrhea. Lemon juice will also soothe a problematic gut, relieving you of nausea and bloating.
- Add a teaspoon of lemon juice into a glass of water.
- Drink half an hour before eating.
- Add lemon juice to herbal teas to increase their potency.
- Use lemon juice sparingly.
7. Rice Water
- 15 Pound Package
- California medium grain rice
- A great choice for everyday consumption
- All natural
- Raised in California
One of the oldest home remedies for stomach virus is water from brown rice. The water works wonders in curing diarrhea and stomach ache. Rice is a bland food, which is what your stomach needs when upset. The rice water will reduce the inflammation in the digestive tract, thereby minimizing the effects of the stomach virus. Additionally, you get to provide your body with much-needed nutrients, which can be hard to get from regular food because you can’t keep anything down.
- Boil 1/2 cup of brown rice in 6 cups of water until it’s soft.
- Strain the rice out and leave the water to cool.
- Add ½ teaspoon of honey for flavor.
- Sip a cup of rice water every hour.
8. Cinnamon Tea
You can turn to cinnamon when searching for effective home remedies for stomach virus. The cinnamaldehyde present in cinnamon has the power to fight adenovirus, hence the potency of the herb in treating viral infections in the gut. Cinnamon is also a renowned remedy for curing nausea and bloating. While cinnamon tea with honey is an effective cure against inflammation of the digestive tract. The combination will soothe the stomach lining and reduce the symptoms of the viral infection.
- Our Healthworks Organic Ceylon Cinnamon Powder has a warm aroma and will bring a spicy sweetness to all kinds of delicious drinks and dishes!
- It's excellent flavor goes perfect with cookies, cakes, coffee, oatmeal, and breads as well as curries, sauces, vegetable dishes, mulling wines, mulling apple cider and punches
- Our Cinnamon is from the Ceylon variety (also known as "True Cinnamon" or "Real Cinnamon") which is harvested from the mature trunk of a cinnamon tree by stripping off the bark and rolling it inside of the other. After being dried at low temperatures, it is carefully milled into fine powder to retain the high nutritional value and allows for maximum digestion and absorption when consumed
- Right from the source: Our Organic Cinnamon Powder is hand selected from small sustainable farmers to provide a truly exquisite powder to your front door
- Our Healthworks Customer Satisfaction Promise: We love our Organic Cinnamon Powder and stand behind it; Receive a full refund or replacement within 30 days if you are not completely satisfied
- Boil ½ cup of water.
- Add a teaspoon of cinnamon powder.
- Leave to brew for 5 minutes.
- Sieve with a fine strainer.
- Add honey to taste.
- Drink the tea 3-4 times daily for 2 days.
- Certified Organic and Easy to Use! This bright yellow powder has a warm aroma and gingery/peppery taste making it an excellent addition to Indian, Moroccan, Asian and Middle Eastern dishes!
- A small pinch of turmeric powder will add a nice orange-yellow hue to salad dressings. Use it to spice vegetables and meat, particularly lamb. It also will complement any recipe that uses rice, lentils and beans
- Healthworks Turmeric Powder is all natural, non-irradiated and certified organic. Turmeric has a known history of powerful anti-inflammatory effects and antioxidant properties. The most active ingredient in turmeric is Curcumin, which is known for protecting the body's cells and and relieving plain.
- Right from the source: Our organic turmeric powder is hand selected from small sustainable farmers to provide a truly exquisite powder to your front door
- Our Healthworks Customer Satisfaction Promise: We love our turmeric and stand behind it; Receive a full refund or replacement within 30 days if you are not completely satisfied.
The versatility of the healing power of turmeric extends to stomach viruses. Its antibacterial traits help stave off any infections that are building up in the digestive system. Simultaneously, it uses its anti-inflammatory qualities to decrease inflammation in the stomach lining, providing relief from indigestion and bloating. Turmeric will help get rid of gas, nausea, vomiting, and acid reflux. Adding turmeric to your soups or rice is a great way to accelerate healing.
10. Thyme Tea
- Delivers an herby, woody flavor
- Substitute 1 tsp of dried Thyme Leaves for 1 tbsp of chopped fresh thyme
- Pure Thyme Leaves for authentic flavor
- Gently dried from fresh Thyme Leaves
- DID YOU KNOW? Thyme isn't just for savory dishes. Try Lemon Thyme Bars for a satisfying and sweet dessert
Thyme has been used for eons to settle an upset stomach. This herb has carminative effects, so it offers relief from stomach gas. The phenols in thyme have antispasmodic qualities, and that will reduce the intestinal cramps that result from stomach viral infections. Thyme tea will help calm the queasiness in your gut, consequently treating nausea and vomiting, you can also get rid of the infection because it has antiseptic properties.
- Boil a cup of water.
- Add a teaspoon of dried thyme leaves.
- Cover and wait 10 minutes for the solution to steep.
- Strain it and add honey.
- Drink about 3 times daily on an empty stomach.
11. Salt and Sugar Solution
- Pure cane sugar
- Extra fine granulated
- All purpose sugar
- 1 Canister of 4lb Sugar
- Premium pure cane granulated; 15 calories per teaspoon; Kosher
Dehydration is the biggest concern when suffering from gastroenteritis, thus the need to increase your fluid intake. A salt and sugar mixture is the simplest rehydration solution you can create at home for both children and adults. Sodium replenishes the electrolytes that you lose during vomiting while sugar provides energy. The solution is also effective in alleviating stomach cramps and soothing a problematic digestive system.
- Add ½ teaspoon of salt to a glass of water.
- Stir until it dissolves.
- Then add 1 teaspoon of sugar and stir.
- Drink the solution twice a day to replace lost fluids.
12. Rosemary Tea
- CERTIFIED ORGANIC by QAI in accordance with the USDA National Organic Program Guidelines and CERTIFIED KOSHER by EarthKosher. GMP CERTIFIED: cGMP Compliant (current Good Manufacturing Practices). 100% NATURAL - No known pesticides were used to grow this product. This product is free of any additives or preservatives. No solvents were used to produce this product, nor excipients.
- USES: CULINARY: Add flavor to salad dressings, culinary oils, baked goods & grilled meats and vegetables. Excellent addition to herbal teas and seasoning blends. HOUSEHOLD: Rosemary infusions and extracts are used in natural cleaners. The dried herb also lends its aromatic qualities to incense and potpourri blends. COSMETIC: Hot water infusions are used as hair and scalp tonics and in astringent skin toners. INDUSTRIAL: Rosemary extract is used as a 100% natural preservative.
- NUTRIENTS: A good source of fiber, calcium and iron, Rosemary adds earthy goodness to soups, stews, breads and roasted meats and vegetables.
- 1 LB BULK PACKAGING: Come in 1 pound bag, which equates to approximately 4.5 cups. COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Morocco.
- ACTIVE COMPOUNDS: Flavonoids, Rosmarinic acid, Diterpenes, Volatile oil, Rosmaricine, Tannins
Antiviral teas are the best home remedies for stomach virus, and rosemary is one of the most powerful ones. Rosemary tea will help kill the viruses causing the disease, such as rotavirus and norovirus. Herbalists also use the herb to calm intestinal cramping and nausea. Rosemary is one of the safest herbal treatments, so you can give it to children who have the stomach bug.
- Boil a cup of water.
- Add a tablespoon of dried rosemary.
- Give the tea 5 minutes to boil.
- Strain and drink thrice daily.
13. Chia Seeds
A stomach virus can leave your body feeling dehydrated due to the vomiting and diarrhea. Chia seeds are useful because they are hydrophilic, meaning they carry a lot of water. You can hydrate the seed properly so that they provide the needed fluids in the body once ingested. Chia seeds are also excellent in soothing the lining of the stomach, which reduces cramps and bloating.
- NUTRIENT-DENSE SUPERFOOD - rich in omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, protein, iron and antioxidants
- NEUTRAL TASTE - chia seeds are virtually tasteless and can be added to your favorite foods. For added texture and protein, we recommend sprinkling chia seeds over oatmeal or adding them to smoothies, salads or yogurt for a satisfying and filling snack.
- HYDROPHILIC PROPERTIES - these mighty seeds hold up to 12x their weight offering powerful thickening abilities. Make a vegan egg substitute using 1 tablespoon of chia seeds to 3 tablespoons of water.
- SUITABLE FOR ALL DIETS - this omega powerhouse supports all dietary restrictions considering they are gluten-free, vegan, nut-free, raw, low-carb and paleo-friendly.
- 100% ALL NATURAL, CERTIFIED ORGANIC AND NON-GMO - Viva Naturals chia seeds are sustainably sourced premium quality seeds, offering impeccable nutrition, taste and versatility. Free from unwanted additives and harmful ingredients, our unrefined chia seeds allow you to reap the full benefits of this ancient superfood.
- Put a tablespoon of chia seeds in a glass of water.
- Leave for 10 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of lime or lemon juice.
- Add a teaspoon of stevia powder and mix.
- Drink twice daily to replenish your bodily fluids.
- FRESH & DELICIOUS ORGANIC BANANAS
- HEALTHY SNACK
- STAYS FRESH FOR LONGER THAN REGULAR BANANAS
Bananas are highly recommended when suffering from a stomach virus. For one, they digest very easily, meaning your digestive system doesn’t have to work as hard to provide the body with nutrients. Bananas are also rich in amylase-resistant starch, which is useful in treating stomach flu symptoms. Vomiting and diarrhea diminish your potassium levels, and bananas contain this mineral. They are also magnesium-rich and contain pectin, a soluble fiber which helps in curing diarrhea.
- Mash a ripe banana.
- Mix in a teaspoon of tamarind pulp.
- Eat twice daily.
- Add bananas to the other components of the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast), which are powerful against gastroenteritis.
15. Fennel Seeds
- 1.9 ounces; Glass bottle
- Fragrant, sweet, organic Turkish fennel for celebrating fish, grains, soups and salads
- Certfied Organic; Kosher
- Simply Organic is committed to supporting organic and sustainable farming communities.
- A Brand of Frontier Co-op, responsible to people and planet
Gas and stomach cramps are some of the most common symptoms of a stomach virus, and fennel seeds are excellent at treating them. Being a potent decongestant, fennel will help calm an upset tummy. Its anti-inflammatory qualities come in handy in relieving the stomach lining of inflammation, which is another aftermath of viral infections. Fennel seeds are also antioxidants and have antispasmodic effects, which keep your intestinal troubles at bay.
- Pour a tablespoon of fennel seeds in a cup of water.
- Boil the moisture.
- Wait for it to cool and strain it.
- Add lemon juice for maximum effects.
- Chew a teaspoon of fennel seeds to get relief from a stomach bug as an alternative.
Viral gastroenteritis can leave the body feeling weak and put you out of commission for a couple of days. Understandably, eating can be hard during this time, which is why herbal teas make the best home remedies for a stomach virus. It is recommended to ease back into eating after recovering from a stomach virus. Which is the remedy that worked best for you? Leave us a comment below!