If you experience any symptoms like a sore throat, fever or swollen tonsils, your next move might be searching for home remedies for strep throat. At a glance, finding at home remedies for strep throat isn’t as easy as it seems. Sure, you can learn more about it from quality sources like the MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia or the National Library of Medicine, but how can you pinpoint the best home remedies for strep throat as opposed to the unreliable ones? Well, we wanted to save you some time and patience and have done thorough research on home remedies for strep throat without antibiotics for you. Discover the top 17 home remedies for strep throat that we collected below and think twice before rushing off to the drugstore to get medication for strep pain relief.
Explore these quick & effective home remedies for strep throat!
By far, the best home remedy for strep throat is simply boosting your daily amount of fluids. Now, we all know – or should know – that we should drink at least two liters of water per day to keep our bodies hydrated. But what liquids help when you’re searching for strep throat home remedies for pain?
- Naturally, water is an irreplaceable fluid to drink, regardless if you have strep throat or not. Make sure that it’s at room temperature so it won’t aggravate your sore throat even more.
- You can explore a variety of herbal teas, especially those created for strep throat pain relief.
- Soups are also a must, but we’ll talk more about them below.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
If you know anything about home remedies, you should already know that apple cider vinegar is an indispensable ingredient for most health issues. The same goes for home remedies for strep throat – the anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that apple cider vinegar is packed with can provide fast relief from strep throat pain.
- Take a glass of lukewarm drinking water and add one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Mix well and drink fast.
- If the taste is too harsh, optionally add a tablespoon of local, raw, organic honey for taste.
If you’re frantically searching for home remedies for strep throat in kids, this is one of the safest methods you can go for. Please make sure that you apply this home remedy for strep throat infection together with your child, without leaving them unsupervised. It’s one of the cold and cough tricks that our grandmothers have been telling us about for ages.
- Fill a large bowl or pot with steaming hot water.
- Place your head carefully over the pot and cover yourself with a clean towel so the steam won’t escape.
- Deeply inhale the steam for as long as you can.
- Make sure your face or your child’s face isn’t too close to the water.
4. Slippery Elm
Even though slippery elm can’t be crowned as a scientifically proven cure for strep throat home remedy, it does have a bit of research to back it up. Some studies show that Native Americans used this herb as a home remedy for strep throat in adults, so it’s definitely worth giving a try. To enjoy the soothing properties of slippery elm as an at home remedy for strep throat, follow the instructions described below.
- Get some powdered slippery elm bark.
- Boil some water and add the slippery elm.
- Stir well and drink.
Home remedies for strep throat relief can also be delicious, in addition to being useful. This is the case for pomegranate, clearly one of the tastiest home remedies for a strep throat around. Pomegranates are a powerhouse of nutrients and health benefits and can aid in naturally treating a variety of diseases and infections. The astringent and antioxidant properties of pomegranates recommend them as some of the best home treatments for strep throat.
- The easiest way to apply this remedy is to find organic pomegranate juice and drink often if your throat hurts.
- However, we recommend preparing a pot of pomegranate tea. To do this, you need three to four cups of water and one pomegranate.
- Peel it and use its rinds for making the tea (they pack the most nutrients).
- You can gargle or drink the tea as treatment for strep throat without antibiotics.
6. Vitamin C
Home remedies for strep throat aren’t always made up of just one ingredient. Sometimes you have to work from nutrients to get to the right ingredients. Here we’ll talk about vitamin C – one of the most important vitamins you need for effective home remedies treatment for strep throat. Luckily for us, we can consume vitamin C in numerous forms.
- For a quick approach, you can consume vitamin C supplements. We encourage you to invest in a quality brand for the best results. 1000 milligrams three times a day should help you get back on the right track.
- You can also explore the myriad of foods with high vitamin C content. Here are some with the highest amounts of vitamin C:
- Bell peppers
- Dark leafy greens
7. Cayenne Pepper
One of the most surprising cures for strep throat home remedies has cayenne pepper as a base ingredient. Cayenne has effective soothing properties, owing to its capsaicin content. If you use cayenne and other hot peppers, you’ll see that the pain caused by strep throat will quickly subside. As cayenne peppers provide quite a kick, we recommend using a bit of honey so you can wash it down.
- Boil one cup of water.
- As it’s boiling, add half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- After that, add one teaspoon of honey.
- Wait until it cools a bit (but is still warm) and stir well before drinking.
8. Marshmallow Root
If you were expecting those mouthwatering puffy white treats to be natural home remedies for strep throat, we’re sorry to disappoint you. However, what does work as a great home cure for strep throat is marshmallow root. This herb has been used for hundreds of years to cure a painful throat, thanks to its mucilage content. If you are a diabetic, please ask your doctor about taking marshmallow root beforehand because it tampers with blood sugar levels.
- Make some marshmallow root tea. Boil one cup of water to get started.
- Add one tablespoon of dried marshmallow root.
- Steep for about half an hour before you strain and drink.
9. Licorice Root
It’s funny how the roots of two treats are equally reliable as home remedies for strep throat. Licorice root is amazing for aggravated strep throat. This herb is stuffed with anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antifungal properties that can calm the pain and lead your way to a speedy recovery. You can make basic licorice root tea using just the ingredient, but you can also throw in some cinnamon and chamomile for even more benefits and a delicious taste.
- Prepare some licorice root tea following the same steps for homemade tea that you normally would.
- As an alternative, use licorice root and water for gargling.
As you probably have already noticed, a great number of home remedies for strep throat treatment contain this wondrous ingredient we call honey. When consumed in its raw form, honey provides an almost overwhelming amount of benefits, both for strep throat and your general health.
- You can add honey to any herbal tea you prepare as at home treatment for strep throat.
- In addition to this, you can help yourself to a spoonful of honey several times throughout the day.
11. Baking Soda
Another trustworthy home remedy for strep throat pain involves an ingredient that you will almost always have lying around the house – baking soda. Its powerful antibacterial properties attack the bacteria that caused your infection. It clears your throat, soothes the pain and helps you get back to good health.
- Get a cup of hot water.
- Add half a teaspoon each of baking soda and water.
- Gargle two times consecutively three times every day for the best results.
12. Salt Water Gargle
As you have just read, gargling is one of the best home remedies for strep throat, especially if you don’t have a lot of ingredients at hand. You can gargle with or without baking soda, but remember to always include salt for a visible impact.
- Add a bit of salt to a glass of warm water.
- Gargle for as long as you can, making sure that the mixture reaches the back of your throat.
- Spit and repeat.
- Practice this several times throughout the day.
13. R & R
Not all home remedies for strep throat in adults involve a long list of ingredients, or even any ingredients at all. Even though we tend to overlook them, small lifestyle actions can have a huge impact on your recovery from strep throat. Make sure you keep these strep throat treatment guidelines in mind.
- Go to bed at normal hours and make sure your body is getting the sleep it needs to battle your infection.
- Rest throughout the day and avoid any activities that could cause strain or aggravate your pain.
14. Chicken Soup
No wonder your mother used chicken soup among her go-to home remedies for strep throat symptoms. Not only does homemade chicken soup contain a variety of additional ingredients that are full of nutrients, but it also has an incredibly soothing effect on a sore throat. We recommend that you take some time to make chicken soup on your own and not eat a store-bought mixture.
- Make a big pot of chicken soup using a wide selection of vegetables.
- Eat the chicken soup when hot, but not so hot that it can burn your tongue or cause discomfort.
As far as home remedies for strep throat that are more than a pleasure to consume are in discussion, peppermint deserves one of the top spots. Peppermint oil, in particular, is great as a throat spray for speeding up the normal strep throat treatment duration. Nevertheless, herbal peppermint tea is also an exceptional solution for curing an aching throat.
- Use strep throat sprays that contain peppermint oil to enjoy antibacterial, antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Prepare some tea with peppermint leaves and drink warm.
Even though some home remedies for strep throat pain are extremely effective, they might not all be as comfortable to take. Garlic is one of the ingredients that we love using for tasty meals, but it’s hard to imagine eating a clove on its own. Nonetheless, the compound allicin found in garlic can fight bacteria like there’s no tomorrow.
- Take one clove of fresh garlic.
- Cut it in half.
- Put both pieces inside your cheeks and suck on them.
- You don’t necessarily need to chew the garlic, but nibble the sides from time to time so you can get the compound.
Lastly, herbal teas are among the very best home remedies for strep throat we have access to. You can prepare teas using the ingredients we have mentioned in our article, but there are also some other varieties to consider. The first ones are herbal teas that are specifically designed to battle sore throats, coughs and colds. After that, you can try these varieties too.
- Brew herbal teas by mixing one cup of boiling water with a tablespoon of one of these dried herbs:
- Goldenseal root
- You can also combine several of these herbs for your tea to get even more nutrients and antiviral properties.
So, the biggest question of all remains: is there a home remedy for strep throat that can guarantee a cure? Unfortunately not, but you have learned that there are plenty of home remedies for strep throat that you can experiment with to soothe the pain and speed up your recovery. If your strep throat persists after using these remedies, contact your doctor for professional assistance. Share your favorite home remedy for strep throat in a comment with us below!
Image sources: no attribution required.