A swollen throat is precisely what the name suggests it is. It’s a condition that can affect anyone, at any age, regardless of variations in their health status, sex, or other variables. It can be the result of a number of possible causes, varying from your typical common cold’s influence to a proper infection located in the throat. This makes it very difficult to carry on normal everyday tasks such as drinking, eating, and swallowing in general. Most of the time, it should not be anything more than a simple inconvenience, but it can very easily go sideways and turn into a bigger issue. Then, you will need to go see a doctor. For now, however, the home remedies for swollen throat you will see below will help you keep this condition in check.
There is a reason why many people add honey to their warm teas whenever they suffer from sore throats. Honey is a natural anti-inflammatory agent which is going to help soothe pain and inflammation associated with enlarged glands. Moreover, honey also has antibacterial properties that can help you also deal with the possible infections likely causing this condition.
- To 1 cup of water, add 1-2 teaspoons of raw, organic honey and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Mix everything thoroughly and then drink this solution.
- Consume the mixture twice a day for 1 week.
Chamomile is a plant with deep soothing properties that can immediately bring relief to the pains of an infection located in the throat. It acts as an ointment to the inflamed throat, shielding it from the action of bacteria that can cause inflammations.
- Bring about 1 cup of water to a boil and then transfer to a cup.
- Add 2 teaspoons of dried chamomile to the water and then cover.
- Let it all steep for 5 minutes.
- Drink 2-3 cups of the tea every day until you get satisfying results.
3. Salt Water
Salt water is one of the easiest-to-prepare and accessible home remedies for swollen throat, all thanks to the amazing purifying properties of salt. It destroys bacteria inhibiting the throat and causing the infection while also ‘patching’ the tissue up and soothing the aches.
- Stir 1 teaspoon of salt in a glass of hot water.
- Keep mixing until the salt dissolves in the water and then wait until the solution is just cool enough for digestion.
- Gargle using this mixture 2-3 times a day until you’ve improved your state.
Peppermint has cooling properties which open passageways and allow you to breathe easier, which sometimes is something that the throat infection can hinder with. Moreover, the soothing properties will bring relief to the inflamed tissue that is causing pain.
- One effective way to reap the benefits of peppermint is by taking one or two peppermint teabags and mixing them with 1 cup of water.
- Place over heat and then bring to a boil.
- Next, let steep for a few minutes, strain, and then drink while it’s still warm.
- Drink multiple cups every day until you’re noticing an improvement.
- Alternatively, if you don’t have much time at your disposal, simply rubbing some peppermint leaves onto the sensitive areas will do the trick just as seamlessly.
5. Baking Soda
Baking soda is one of nature’s greatest antioxidants, as well as one of the best home remedies for swollen throat. It’s a big enemy of bacteria, being able to restore pH balance to create unwelcoming alkaline environments that will get the germs to flee and keep at bay more colonies from flocking over.
- To a glass of water, add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
- Thorough mix this solution and then drink it in order to get the results that you desire.
- Have this mixture about 2-3 times a day.
Licorice root has been traditionally used to treat a number of infections and inflammations. Its antibacterial properties target the bacteria that’s feeding into the infection and its calming properties will help you deal with the pain of the inflammation. Fortunately, it’s also very easy to prepare some licorice tea.
- Pour 150 ml of milk or water in a pan and then bring to heat.
- Let it boil for a few seconds and then add 1 teaspoon of licorice root.
- Reduce the heat and let it all simmer and brew for 5 minutes.
- Finally, filter this solution in a cup and enjoy while the tea is still warm.
Fenugreek seeds are among the home remedies for swollen throat that you want to have around in case you are prone to such episodes. By softening them in some water beforehand, you will be able to consume them without fear that they will scratch at the inflamed tissue. It’s on the contrary, actually, as fenugreek will help soothe that pain.
- Soak 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in a cup of water and leave them to sit overnight.
- In the morning, grind the seeds until you get a pasty consistency.
- Combine with a bit of honey to provide a better taste and then consume while alternating with some water.
Garlic is a famous antiseptic that people have been using to treat numerous infections and inflammations across history. It’s one of the best home remedies for swollen throat due to how efficiently it destroys bacteria, thus dealing with this issue straight at its core.
- In a pan, heat up about 1 tablespoon of olive oil and then add in 2-3 garlic cloves.
- Cook the garlic until it turns brown and then strain the oil.
- Dip in a clean cloth and then use it to apply the oil to the affected area, massaging gently for 2-3 minutes.
- Do this daily to start noticing results.
9. Cayenne Pepper
Containing a compound called capsaicin, cayenne peppers are the kind of remedies that will help you as they have been helping others for centuries. Capsaicin is a thermogenic substance, meaning that it will numb the pain of the inflammation by releasing heat through the body.
- Add half-1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder and mix it with 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Stir everything together to incorporate the two ingredients and then eat it slowly with a small spoon.
10. Clove Oil
A handful of cloves can go a really long way when you are seeking some efficient methods of dealing with a swollen throat. Cloves target bacteria causing the infections, helping you get rid of the unpleasant itchiness and irritation first and foremost.
- Create a mixture using 4 drops of clove oil and 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Blend everything together thoroughly and then consume this once a day until you’ve made a full recovery.
11. Apple Cider Vinegar
Did anyone expect not to see apple cider vinegar on this list? It’s one of the most efficient home remedies for swollen throat for sure, all thanks to the strong antiseptic properties and how efficiently it destroys bacteria.
- To a glass of apple juice, add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Stir everything thoroughly and then drink this mixture.
- Have a glass of this blend whenever you’re experiencing gallbladder pains to get relief in around 15 minutes.
Like baking soda, lemon juice is rich in compounds that create an alkaline environment which is completely unwelcoming to bacteria. More than that, the vitamin C in lemon juice will give a boost to your immune system, helping it fend off the infection.
- To a glass of water, add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of raw, organic honey.
- Stir everything well and then drink this solution at once.
- Have 2-3 glasses of this blend every day in order to soothe the symptoms of phlegm.
Many over-the-counter treatments contain Echinacea because it has wonderful properties that will soothe and relax a swollen throat. Needless to say, you can opt for a natural alternative instead.
- To prepare some tea, add a few Echinacea flowers to a pot of water and then boil for a few minutes.
- Cover up and then let everything infuse for 5-6 minutes.
- Lastly, strain and enjoy this tea twice a day for the next week.
Nutmeg has excellent anti-inflammatory properties that will offer you relief whenever your throat is struggling with infection and inflammation.
- Add 1 teaspoon of nutmeg powder to 1 cup of hot water and then stir everything thoroughly.
- Add in 1 teaspoon of honey as well if you desire.
- Drink this solution daily for 1 week.
Another renowned remedy, turmeric contains curcumin, a substance that works wonders for those in need of something to help with the pains and itchiness of a swollen throat.
- Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric to a container with 1 cup of milk in.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Then, remove from heat and let it cool until it becomes warm.
- Drink it while it’s still warm before bedtime, every day.
Just like nutmeg, cinnamon is among the home remedies for swollen throat that is as useful for flavoring food as it is for helping with inflammations.
- Mix 1 and ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder with a cup of warm milk.
- Stir well to incorporate the cinnamon into the entire mass of the milk.
- Furthermore, you may also add honey according to your personal taste in order to make it easier to drink.
- Drink the mixture while it’s still warm.
Last but not least, give cardamom a shot if you are experiencing a swollen or itchy throat and if you wish to be able to resume your daily habits in the shortest time possible.
- Stir ½ teaspoon of cardamom powder into a glass of lukewarm water.
- Drink this mixture at least 30 minutes before bed.
- For the effects to be lasting and really show up, repeat this process on a daily basis.
As mentioned before, a swollen throat should not become a reason for panic in the slightest, but it’s definitely something you need to keep under control, especially in its early stages. Using the home remedies for swollen throat we’ve just enlisted, this should technically be really easy to achieve.