Vaginal dryness is a condition that discriminates against no woman, being able to affect pretty much anyone that has reached the menopause stage. Its symptoms include irritation, itchiness, vaginal discharge, or sometimes even pain during urination. Needless to say, it’s something that can hinder with daily activities, though it’s not something that should technically raise any red flags of danger. Some common causes for this affliction are hormonal changes and bacterial or fungal gatherings that cause some potential infections. You can bring some lubrication to this area again by using some simple home remedies for vaginal dryness such as the ones that you are about to discover below.
On our list, you will discover all-natural treatments that you can use to get rid of vaginal dryness in a safe and efficient manner. Most of them are for internal use, but there are some for external use as well. You will find all the directions you need in the instructions paired with every entry.
One of the causes of vaginal dryness is low estrogen levels in the body. Flaxseeds are rich in vitamin E and omega-3 fatty acids, both of which your body needs to produce even amounts of estrogen. That being said, flaxseeds can help you greatly by dealing with this issue right at its core.
- Mix roughly 1 teaspoon of flaxseed with a bit of water.
- Leave them to soak overnight.
- In the morning, eat the softened flaxseeds on an empty stomach.
- Repeat this treatment several times throughout the day until you notice improvements.
Since we are on the topic of efficient, estrogen-boosting seeds, we have to mention fenugreek as well. Just like fennel, fenugreek has compounds that will let your body increase its estrogen levels, which in turn will provide more lubrication to your affected body area.
- Soak 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in a cup of water and leave them to sit overnight.
- In the morning, take them out and then grind the seeds until you get a pasty consistency.
- Better the flavor by adding some honey and by alternating the consumption with water.
3. Coconut Oil
Many people use coconut oil as a beauty product thanks to its deep moisturizing properties. Because of the very same properties, it’s one of the most potent home remedies for vaginal dryness as well. The high concentration of vitamin E will ensure to restore lubrication to the vaginal area in a natural and proper manner.
- Take some extra-virgin coconut oil and use a cotton ball or a cotton pad to apply directly to the sensitive skin area.
- Stay like this for a few minutes just enough for everything to sink into the skin.
- Wash it off afterward and then repeat the process 2-3 times a day until you get the effect you desire.
4. Olive Oil
Olive oil is among the home remedies for vaginal dryness that we definitely recommend thanks to the combination of beauty and health benefits. Two primary compounds called hydroxytyrosol and oleuropein overlook the boost in moisture located in that specific area, providing it with much-needed lubrication.
- In a cup, create a blend with 1 and ½ teaspoon of pure extra-virgin olive oil and with honey in equal parts.
- Before bed, take 2-3 sips of this mixture every day for the effects to start to show.
Next up ahead, we continue with the home remedies for vaginal dryness that really tear this issue out by the root. Turmeric contains curcumin, an agent that has antiseptic properties which will rid the vagina of bacteria and fungi causing the infections behind this condition.
- To a glass of warm milk, add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and mix everything together thoroughly.
- Have 1 glass of this blend in the morning and another glass in the night before going to bed.
- Do this process several times throughout the day until you get to the final result you’re seeking.
6. Baking Soda
Baking soda is one of nature’s best antioxidants, able to restore pH levels in your body and to create alkaline environments that aren’t particularly welcoming to bacteria and fungi that might reside there. It’s an excellent method of dealing with the bacteria responsible for the infection causing all of this in the first place.
- Stir 1 teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water.
- Down this mix two times a day for the effects to show.
- Keep doing this and you will start noticing progress after two weeks.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
We can’t talk about antiseptics without mentioning apple cider vinegar, one of the most potent all-around home remedies. It’s always been an excellent treatment for a myriad of infection-related issues thanks to how relentlessly it banishes bacteria and fungi.
- Create a solution by mixing 1 part vinegar with 1 part water and stirring everything together thoroughly.
- Use a cotton ball or pad dipped in this mixture and dab directly onto the vaginal area around 3 times a day until it you get the results you need.
Garlic is a powerful antiseptic agent that can also deal with the bacteria and fungi nested around your intimate area to cause you trouble. By destroying bacteria causing the infection, you will also be rid of itchiness, dryness, and all other common symptoms that stem from the development of vaginal dryness.
- Pour a little bit of oil (preferably something like olive or sesame) in a pan and then add a few of slightly-crushed cloves to it.
- Place the pan on the stove and start heating up the oil with the garlic in it.
- Keep on heat while stirring until the cloves of garlic turn a shade of golden-brown.
- Next, take out the garlic cloves and wait for the oil to cool down to room temperature.
- When cooled down, apply directly to the sensitive area.
9. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera is a must inclusion among our recommended home remedies for vaginal dryness for two main reasons. Firstly, it’s a great moisturizer, as proven by the fact that it’s an ingredient in so many products with this purpose. Secondly, aloe vera has cooling properties that will offer temporary relief to those struggling with inflammations and itchiness.
- Take an aloe vera leaf and then split it in two in the middle.
- Extract the gel from it and then apply it directly to the sensitive patch of skin on your vagina.
- Allow the gel to dry out naturally.
- Finally, rinse thoroughly to get off all excess of the gel.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times a day until you’re noticing improvements.
10. Tea Tree Oil
Got any bad bacteria that are giving you all this trouble? Tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic that separates the good bacteria from the bad one and makes sure to destroy the latter to rid you of the problems they cause. Moreover, it contains terpinen-4-ol, a substance that will lubricate the vagina on top of dealing with the infection.
- Create a solution by mixing 1 part tea tree oil with 9 parts water.
- Dip a cotton swab tip in this mix and then apply directly to the affected areas.
- Let this mixture air dry.
- Repeat the treatment several times throughout the day until you are getting to the results that you desire.
Dandelion is a gentle herbal remedy that will aid you with the primary thing that you’re seeking: a natural way of bringing back vaginal lubrication. It doesn’t have any miracle bacteria-banishing properties, which is why it’s particularly useful if you are certain that infections are not behind this issue this time.
- To a cup, add 1 teaspoon of dried dandelion leaves.
- Then, pour some hot water inside of this cup.
- Cover and let it all steep for 5-6 minutes.
- Finally, uncover and add honey to taste.
- Sip on this tea on a daily basis for the next few weeks until you get the results that you desire.
Just like dandelion, chamomile is one of the home remedies for vaginal dryness that we recommend because of the amazing soothing properties. It can offer great relief to itchiness and also aid in offering some much-needed moisture.
- Bring about 1 cup of water to a boil and then transfer to a cup.
- Add 2 teaspoons of dried chamomile to the water and then cover.
- Let it all steep for 5 minutes.
- Drink 2-3 cups of the tea every day until you get satisfying results.
Honey is renowned for its plenty of properties, particularly for the amazing combo of antiseptic and moisturizing characteristics. And, after all, isn’t this what all excellent home remedies for vaginal dryness need? Either consuming or applying topically some honey will cause some proper wonders, so don’t shy away from using honey to deal with this issue!
- Create a blend by combining 1/4 teaspoon of lemon juice with 1/4 teaspoon of organic honey.
- Apply this mixture directly to the skin.
- Leave it to sit for about 15-20 minutes and then rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the treatment daily for at least 1 month to start seeing the results.
Last but not least, we recommend nettle, one of the many other herbal treatments we’re recommending. Just like other herbs, it has soothing properties that can deal with itchiness and add some natural lubrication. Pair it with a strong antiseptic and you will have one heck of a tag team.
- Add 2-3 teaspoons of dried nettle leaves to a cup of hot water.
- Let this mixture steep for 10-15 minutes.
- Finally, strain and drink the tea 3 times a day for the effects to start kicking in.
If you are one of the women affected by this incredibly common condition, now you know that you must not despair. The home remedies for vaginal dryness we have recommended will help you deal with this issue both on a surface and on a deep level. All that remains is to decide now which of these work best for what you need.