The sensitivity of the genital area makes vaginal itching very uncomfortable and frustrating. A burning sensation in the female genital section is common in women of all ages. Bacteria and yeast infections are some of the reasons for an irritating vagina. The use of certain soaps, body washes and oils that contain harsh chemicals may affect the genital area. An individual suffering from stress or a weak immune system may have this problem often. You can try out several home remedies for vaginal itching to deal with the condition.
Try our home remedies for vaginal itching and get rid of the discomfort right at home.
1. Cold Compress
One of the simplest home remedies for itching vagina is to apply low temperatures to the affected area. Cold has a numbing effect that will help reduce the irritation. In most cases, an itchy vagina gets inflamed, and a cold compress can provide relief by bringing down the swelling.
- Put several ice cubes on a clean cloth and wrap it.
- Place the pack in the genital area for a few minutes.
- Remove the compress for a minute then reapply.
- Repeat until the itching goes away.
2. Coconut Oil
The fatty acids found in coconut oil make it one of the top home remedies for vaginal itching because they give the compound soothing properties. One of the fatty acids, Lauric acid, has antifungal, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory traits, which make coconut oil an effective moisturizer for eczema. This makes coconut oil a perfect home remedy for oral thrush as well.
- Apply a layer virgin coconut oil on the affected region then let it dry.
- Make a solution using 6 cups of water and 3 to 4 drops of coconut oil.
- Use this solution to rinse off the vaginal area and leave to dry.
- Soak a tampon in virgin coconut oil as another option.
- Insert the tampon into the vagina and leave it for 8 hours.
- Remove the tampon and rinse the region with warm water for relief.
- Repeat your chosen coconut oil remedy until itching stops.
3. Oregano Oil
Another way to get relief from an itchy vagina is to use oregano oil. You can boost the effectiveness of some of the other vaginal itching home remedies with the antibacterial properties of oregano oil. Oregano is known to kill even strains of bacteria that are resistant to medication.
- Mix a tablespoon of virgin coconut oil with 2 to 3 drops of oregano oil.
- Apply the ointment in the vagina and leave for 2 hours.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Repeat until the infection and itching go away.
Garlic is a useful natural treatment for itchy vagina because it has antimicrobial and antibiotic properties. So, it can kill microbes and other organisms that may be festering around the female genitals, and eliminate fungal infections. Additionally, the spice boosts the immune system.
- Blend several drops of garlic oil with a teaspoon of Vitamin E oil.
- Apply the ointment around the vagina then wait ten minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Do this twice daily.
- Mince two fresh pieces of garlic and chew to get relief from an itchy vagina.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
The reason apple cider vinegar makes one of the best home remedies for vaginal itching is that it has acetic acid, which balances the pH levels around the genital area. It becomes impossible for yeast infections, including candida, to fester around the vagina. The anti-inflammatory properties of apple cider vinegar get rid of inflammation in the genitalia.
- Dilute raw, unprocessed apple cider vinegar with water in equal parts.
- Dip a tampon into the solution and let it soak.
- Insert the tampon into the vagina and leave it for 30-60 minutes.
- Remove the tampon, rinse the vagina with water and dry properly.
- Add 2 cups of apple cider vinegar to your bath and soak in it for 20 minutes.
6. Tea Tree Oil
Another great option for our home remedies for vaginal itching list is tea tree oil, which contains antibacterial and antifungal characteristics. It gets rid of bacterial infections, candida, and eczema. Tea tree oil is useful in reducing itchiness and inflammation in the genital area. The chemical compound terpinen-4-ol in the tree oil is what gives the plant its medicinal applications.
- Fill a small bowl with water.
- Pour 3 drops of tea tree oil.
- Rinse your vagina with the solution.
- Alternatively, you can mix 4 to 5 drops of tea tree oil with 1 to 2 tablespoons of fresh aloe vera extract.
- Apply the blend on the genital area and leave for ten minutes to dry.
- Rinse with warm water then dry.
- Repeat until symptoms subside.
7. Boric Acid
For vaginal itching caused by candidiasis, boric acid is one of the most effective natural remedies. Its antifungal properties prevent the growth of yeast in the genitals. Boric acid is an antiseptic, so it does a great job of soothing infected skin. Boric acid doesn’t cause drug resistance.
- Mix in a tablespoon of boric acid with a glass of water.
- Apply the mixture on the affected vaginal region and leave it for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Rinse off the solution thoroughly using warm water.
- Use boric acid twice a day for two weeks until the itching stops.
Raw, natural yogurt is one of the best home remedies for vaginal itching you can try out. The microflora in raw yogurt helps reduce any bacterial growth. Yogurt also has a soothing effect, which minimizes the irritation. It is also one of the recommended foods to improve vaginal health.
- Soak a tampon in yogurt.
- Insert into the vagina and let it stay for 2 hours.
- Remove the tampon and rinse the region with water then dry.
- Repeat twice daily for relief.
9. Hydrogen Peroxide
The natural antiseptic properties of hydrogen peroxide make it one of the home remedies for vaginal itching to consider. Hydrogen peroxide will kill any yeast or bacteria cultivating in the vagina, consequently getting rid of the burning sensation and swelling.
- Mix 2 to 3 drops of food grade hydrogen peroxide with water.
- Soak a tampon in the solution.
- Insert into the vagina for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Use the solution daily for up to 2 weeks.
Also called Indian lilac, Neem is renowned for its numerous medicinal uses, one of which is treating vaginal irritation. The antiseptic nature of neem allows it to get rid of infections in the vagina. Indian lilac is also effective in reducing the itching sensation in the vagina.
- Add neem leaves to 2-3 cups of water.
- Boil the mixture and allow it to cool.
- Strain it to get the neem juice.
- Use the solution to wash the vagina.
- Do this once a day.
- You also can apply neem oil on the affected region to get rid of the burning sensation.
11. Salt Water
Another quick natural remedy when suffering from an itchy vagina is salt. It is one of the top home remedies for vaginal itching because it controls microbial growth. It is also a recommended natural treatment for infections. Bathing with salt water reduces inflammation in the genitalia.
- Mix water and a tablespoon of salt.
- Use the solution to clean the vagina for immediate relief from itching.
- You can also add 1/3 a cup of salt to a warm bath then squat in the tub for 10 minutes.
- Repeat twice or thrice a day for satisfactory results.
The healing characteristics of honey make it one of the home remedies for vaginal itching that are readily available. Honey possesses antimicrobial and antibacterial traits that help to eliminate microbial infections around and in the vagina.
- Apply unpasteurized honey on the itching genital area.
- Leave it for half an hour.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Repeat twice a day until the itching subsides.
- Eat 1 to 2 tablespoons of honey twice daily to help get rid of the vaginal infection.
Probiotics are highly recommended for promoting vaginal health and kefir, being a fermented dairy product, contains the compounds. Kefir helps prevent the cultivation of bad bacteria in the genital area. You can use kefir for yeast infections and soothe an irritated skin or vulva.
- Dip a tampon in kefir and insert into the vagina.
- Leave for two hours then remove.
- Repeat daily until itching or infection subsides.
- Drinking a cup or two of kefir can help boost the immune system and prevent further vaginal infections.
Rosemary leaves have potent antibacterial properties that make it one of the top remedies for vaginal itching. The herb prevents bacteria from cultivating around the genitalia. It has soothing properties as well and it moisturizes the vaginal region, which helps get rid of an itchy skin.
- Boil 2 cups of water.
- Add a handful of rosemary leaves in the water.
- Cover and give it 15 minutes to steep.
- Strain the mixture and let it cool.
- Rinse the vagina using the solution.
- Use it several times a week until irritation subsides.
Basil leaves are popular natural treatments because of their antibacterial and antifungal properties. When suffering from a burning sensation in and around the vagina, basil is an effective way to get rid of it because it kills all microorganisms festering in the region.
- Add basil leaves to 2 cups of water.
- Boil the mixture then leave it to cool.
- Strain and use the solution to clean the vagina.
- Use the basil leaves remedy twice daily until you get relief from the irritation.
Fenugreek seeds can help you get rid of a yeast infection, thus eliminating itching and burning in the genitals. The plant has properties that make it a powerful treatment for bacterial vaginosis. Fenugreek also enhances the immune system, which minimizes your susceptibility to infection. It also maintains a balanced pH level in the vaginal area.
- Put 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in a cup of water and leave it overnight.
- Drink the concoction in the morning before breakfast.
- Alternatively, you can add a tablespoon of fenugreek seeds in a cup of boiled water.
- Let it steep for 5 minutes.
- Strain the solution then add a few drops of honey.
- Drink your natural fenugreek treatment twice daily.
- You can also take fenugreek twice daily in powder form by mixing it with yogurt (equal parts).
Vaginal irritation can make your days impossible and your nights restless. Try some home remedies for vaginal itching to see how effective they are. Every individual is different, so a remedy may work for one but not the other. Test a few to see what suits your skin.
In some instances, vaginal itching may be a symptom of a serious health condition. If the burning sensation is accompanied by painful bowel movements, painful urination, or a cloudy discharge, consult your gynecologist or physician. Have you used any home remedies for vaginal itching? How well did they serve you?