The majority of women experience vaginal odor at some point in their lives, usually caused by bacteria or an imbalance in pH levels. Doctors can prescribe antibiotics to fight the conditions that cause vaginal odor, but the infections often quickly come back. When antibiotics or over-the-counter medicines don’t work, many people turn to home remedies instead. Home remedies for vaginal odor are cheap and simple, and they usually work very quickly. Here are fourteen of the best home remedies for vaginal odor.
Use our natural home remedies for vaginal odor and get rid of the discomfort in no time!
Because of its great antibiotic properties, garlic is a classic remedy for a variety of ailments, and it’s one of the most popular home remedies for vaginal odor and yeast infections. It helps your body get rid of the bad bacteria that causes the odor, and it usually works within just a few days. You can either eat raw or cooked garlic regularly, or you can insert it into your vagina for maximum effectiveness.
- Peel one clove of garlic.
- Optional: Tie dental floss or a similar string around the clove to help with removal.
- Insert the garlic into your vagina.
- Remove after a few hours, or leave in overnight.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has excellent antibacterial and antiseptic properties, so it is one of the best from the list of natural home remedies for vaginal odor. It can fight off the bacteria that causes vaginal odor, and it can restore the pH balance of the vagina to prevent odor from returning. You can drink a glass of water with two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar every day until you notice the odor disappearing, or you can take an apple cider vinegar bath.
- Fill your bathtub with warm water.
- Add two cups of apple cider vinegar to the bath.
- Sit in the water for at least 20 minutes.
- If the vaginal odor is severe, repeat for four or five days.
Yogurt contains lactobacillus bacteria, which can help to restore the vagina’s pH balance. According to the Mayo Clinic, yogurt can help treat recurring bacterial vaginosis, which is one of the most common causes of vaginal odor. However, plain, unsweetened yogurt is the most effective treatment, and after eating one or two servings a day for a few days, you should notice the vaginal odor clearing up. You can also insert unsweetened yogurt directly into your vagina to balance the pH.
- Soak a tampon with plain, unsweetened yogurt.
- Insert the tampon into your vagina.
- Remove after a few hours.
- Thoroughly wash the area with water.
4. Tea Tree Oil
Because tea tree oil has antifungal and antiseptic properties, it is one of the most popular home remedies for vaginal odor. If there’s a buildup of bad bacteria in the vagina causing odor, some doctors recommend tea tree oil as a natural remedy. It can also help with itching or discomfort. However, you should always avoid putting undiluted tea tree oil directly on your skin as it can cause irritation.
- Mix two or three drops of tea tree oil with water or olive oil.
- Soak a tampon in the mixture.
- Insert the tampon and then leave it in for about five minutes.
- Repeat this every day for about a week.
5. Baking Soda
Baking soda is one of the best home remedies for vaginal odor because it can instantly restore the pH balance of the vagina, which is one of the leading causes of vaginal odor. Like apple cider vinegar, you can either mix a tablespoon of baking soda with water and drink it or add it to a bath. Baking soda is used for several ailments of the vagina and is highly recommended by experts for use.
- Fill your bathtub with warm water.
- Add half a cup of baking soda to the bath.
- Sit in the water for at least 20 to 30 minutes.
- Dry yourself thoroughly with a towel.
Fenugreek is a popular herb that has been used for healing for hundreds of years. It has a variety of health benefits, and it can promote hormonal balance in women when taken regularly. The herb is also a great remedy for vaginal odor. You can make fenugreek tea with just water and fenugreek seeds, and it can eliminate vaginal odor within a few days.
- Crush one tablespoon of fenugreek seeds.
- Boil one cup of water.
- Add the fenugreek seeds to the hot water.
- Cover the pan and let it steep for at least 15 minutes.
- Drink this tea every morning on an empty stomach.
- You can also use the tea after it cools, to wash the vagina and surrounding area.
Neem is one of the best vaginal odor home remedies because of its proven antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties. It can eliminate most major causes of vaginal odor, and it was frequently used as a remedy for bacterial vaginosis in ancient Indian medicine. You can use neem leaves to create a neem powder that can fight off bacterial infections.
- Heat up a pan and add a handful of neem leaves.
- Dry roast the leaves for about three minutes and remove the pan from the flame.
- When the leaves are cold, crush them into a fine powder.
- Gradually add water to the powder until it forms a paste.
- Apply the paste to your vagina twice a day until the odor disappears.
8. White Vinegar
White vinegar is one of the best substances for eliminating odors in your house, and it can also eliminate vaginal odor. It breaks down odor proteins, so although it may not cure the underlying problem causing the odor, it’s a great temporary solution. The best way to benefit from this remedy is to take a white vinegar bath.
- Fill your bathtub with warm water.
- Add one-half cup of white vinegar and one-half cup of salt to the bath.
- Soak in the tub for at least a few minutes.
- If necessary, repeat this daily until the odor disappears.
Alum is an aluminum sulfate that is commonly used for purifying water, pickling food, and controlling body odor. Many people use it as a natural aftershave to reduce bleeding from cuts that occur during shaving. It can restrict the growth of the bad bacteria in the vagina that causes odor.
- Mix half a teaspoon of alum powder with about two cups of water.
- Use this mixture to wash your vagina and also the surrounding area.
- Repeat this every day for about a week or until the odor is gone.
10. Guava Leaves
Guava leaves are a powerful treatment for many ailments, and their antibacterial properties help them treat vaginal odor. They can also help to reduce itching or irritation that often occurs alongside vaginal odor. You can boil guava leaves in water and drink the mixture a few times a day, or you can use it to wash your vagina.
- Add eight guava leaves to about four cups of water.
- Boil the water until it reduces down to half its quantity.
- After cooling, strain the water and then use it to wash your vaginal area.
- Repeat this twice a day for a few days.
11. Hydrogen Peroxide
A study from the University of Naples in Italy showed that hydrogen peroxide was effective in eliminating the major symptoms of bacterial vaginosis in 89 percent of participants, and it restored the vagina’s pH balance in 98 percent of participants. Also, hydrogen peroxide is the most popular from the home remedies for bacterial vaginosis and for the odor caused by the condition.
- Create a mixture of equal parts water and 3 percent hydrogen peroxide.
- Soak a tampon in the mixture and insert it into your vagina.
- Remove the tampon after about 30 minutes and repeat daily until the odor subsides.
12. Herbal Supplements
There are many herbs that can fight against bacterial vaginosis, vaginitis, and yeast infections, therefore, eliminating these issues almost always gets rid of vaginal odor. You can create an herbal capsule that combines these effective herbs and will eliminate vaginal odor safely and naturally.
- Mix together one part yellow dock root powder, one part echinacea root powder, one part comfrey root powder, one part slippery elm bark powder, one part myrrh gum powder, and also two parts goldenseal root powder.
- Fill size 00 gelatin capsules with the mixture, about one teaspoon of the mixture should fill about five capsules.
- Consume two capsules two or three times a day.
- Repeat this daily for one to two weeks.
13. Boric Acid
An imbalanced pH level in the vagina is the biggest cause of vaginal infections and odor. Also, boric acid helps to restore the pH level, which eliminates odors and prevents the infection from reoccurring. A study from 2009 found that using vaginal boric acid suppositories every day for three weeks cured bacterial vaginosis in almost 90 percent of participants.
- Fill size 00 gelatin capsules with boric acid powder. Each capsule should hold about 600 mg of powder.
- Insert one capsule into your vagina at night before going to sleep.
- Repeat this every night for two or three weeks, then once or twice per week to prevent reoccurrence.
- Never swallow the capsules nor consume the boric acid powder.
14. Probiotic Foods
Eating probiotic foods is one of the best home remedies for vaginal odor. Probiotics support healthy bacteria in the vagina and help fight against the bad bacteria that cause odor. You can buy probiotic capsules, but eating foods rich in probiotics is another way to quickly and easily eliminate odor.
- Consume at least two cups of probiotic yogurt that contains lactobacillus per day.
- Look for foods like sauerkraut, pickles, tempeh, and kimchi.
- Continue to eat at least one serving of probiotic foods per day to maintain healthy bacteria.
Vaginal odor can be an uncomfortable or unpleasant problem, but there are many home remedies available that can eliminate the problem. You probably already have some of these remedies in your home, and the others should be easy to find. These remedies work quickly without causing any side effects, and they can prevent the odor from coming back. Also, if one of these remedies has worked for you or if you’ve used any home remedies for vaginal odor that aren’t on this list, let us know!