Vitiligo is an autoimmune condition of the skin which manifests through the development of lighter-colored patches of skin on the body. The reasons for the apparition for this disease are currently widely unknown, but we do know that it targets melanin, the compound which dictates the pigmentation of your skin. If something damages or destroys said melanin, then you will end up with white-colored spots. In plenty of cases, simply stepping outside into sunlight is going to be enough to restore the original shade of the skin. However, when that is not enough, you could try either of the home remedies for vitiligo that you are about to discover below.
Papaya is a delicious fruit with plenty of fantastic medicinal properties and which can do wonders for your beauty routine. And good news to people that suffer from vitiligo from everywhere: it seems that it contains certain compounds which allow it to mend the aesthetic alterations of vitiligo.
- Cut papaya fruit into different pieces.
- Rub papaya pieces on white patches.
- Dry it naturally and apply other pieces of papaya.
- You might drink papaya juice each day to relieve melanin cells caused by vitiligo.
- Do it every day to get visible effects.
2. Lime Juice
If you are particularly invested in your skincare routine, you probably know by now what lemon juice can do for you and how it’s one of nature’s greatest bleaching agents. Lime juice can do plenty of great things too, starting with the fact that it can balance melanin production to bring the same color everywhere in your cheeks.
- Gather a tablespoon of yogurt, two tablespoons of ground oatmeal, and a teaspoon of fresh-squeezed lime juice.
- Add them all to a bowl and them blend thoroughly to get a pasty consistency.
- Next, apply the resulting solution to your skin and let it sit for a maximum of 10 minutes.
- Wash off the mask with splashes of cool water.
- Lastly, keep this up a whole week by repeating the treatment every day.
Basil is one of the best home remedies for vitiligo, a plant which boosts production of melanin. Not only that, but it makes sure that the melanin is going to fill in the gaps created by vitiligo, shaping up the balance that your skin needs in order to slowly get the lighter-colored patches to fade away.
- Fill a pot with boiling water and then scatter a few leaves of fresh basil in.
- Let this solution simmer for about 5 minutes after bringing to a boil.
- Next, remove from heat and then steep for 10 more minutes.
- Afterwards, strain the solution and dip a cotton pad or cotton ball in it.
- Apply the mixture directly to the skin and leave it to air dry.
- Repeat this remedy every day for the next few weeks for appropriate results.
Pomegranate is yet another fruit with an excellent taste and even better melanin-related properties. Although the fruit in itself is definitely of fantastic help, it’s actually the pomegranate leaves which offer the biggest likelihood of finding success in your endeavors. Despite that, the treatment recipe that we recommend is going to use the fruit.
- To 1 cup of pomegranate juice, add 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon powder and 2 teaspoons of honey.
- Stir everything thoroughly to incorporate the ingredients in a mixture.
- Have this drink every day in the morning while eating breakfast.
- Keep this treatment up for the next 2-3 months.
5. Aloe Vera and Turmeric
Turmeric has this very specific color that would probably make you wonder whether it can actually help with an issue related to skin pigmentation. And the answer is: yes, definitely. It’s one of the most reliable home remedies for vitiligo, balancing melanin production and fixing the damage caused to it in the cause of those white patches you want to see gone.
- Take an aloe vera leaf and then slice it in two, extracting the gel.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of the aloe vera gel with 1 teaspoon of honey, 1 teaspoon of milk, and a pinch of turmeric powder.
- Spread this mixture over your skin evenly and then let it act for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry to complete the procedure.
- Repeat twice a week to get the results you want.
6. Neem Oil
Neem – or Indian lilac as some people may know it – is a plant originating from the Balkan Peninsula which, luckily, you can find pretty easily even outside of that location. Its leaves make fantastic home remedies for vitiligo.
- Fill a tub with warm water and then add about 5-6 drops of neem oil to the water.
- Let your little one soak in this solution for 15-20 minutes in order to feel the beneficial effects of the herb.
- Repeat this treatment daily until you’ve noticed satisfying improvements in your baby’s condition.
When you suffer from vitiligo, you need something that can repair melanin cells in those white patches of skin. Figs have the ability to do that, which is what ranks them among our list of best home remedies for vitiligo.
- Grab a handful of dried figs and then place them in a container with honey.
- Soak the figs in honey for about 30 minutes and then digest the fruits.
- Repeat this process daily for the next couple of weeks.
Ginger contains certain compounds which make it excellent for treating various infections, inflammations, and swellings. But this is not all there is to it. The plant can repair broken tissue and, by extension, melanin cells, thus facilitating the fading of the patches.
- Grab 1 inch of a fresh ginger root and then cut it into small pieces.
- Add these pieces to 2 cups of boiling water.
- Afterwards, let it simmer on low heat for 10 minutes and then strain when the time is up.
- Add honey according to personal taste and then make sure to drink several cups throughout the day until the spider veins are no longer an issue.
Radish, specifically radish leaves, are also reliable home remedies for vitiligo, offering you the possibility to restore the normal melanin production in order to get the uneven skin coloring to leave you alone.
- Take 6 radishes, cut them, and then extract their juice.
- Mix the juice with warm water in a basin that can contain your feet.
- Dip your feet into the substance for around 20 minutes and repeat this process on a daily basis.
Walnut fans, rejoice. If you enjoy munching on these snacks in your free time, you have successfully found a method which shoots down two birds with one stone. You will be able to enjoy some walnut goodness while waiting for the face mask you are about to discover below to work its wonders.
- Grind walnuts in a blender to make it into a coarse powder.
- Take 2 teaspoons of the coarse walnut powder and mix it with a little bit of water.
- Mix to make a coarse thick paste and apply in the affected areas three to four times a day.
- Leave it to react with the skin for 15 to 20 minutes and then wash it off.
- Repeat this process for about two months or so to see a slight reduction in the white patches on the skin.
11. Margosa Leaves
Margosa is a plant with numerous health benefits, including a myriad for your skin and its beauty. Use the leaves of this plant in order to create a treatment that will help you get rid of the visible tokens of vitiligo.
- Grind the neatly washed margosa leaves in a blender and then extract the juice of the margosa leaves paste.
- Now take two teaspoons of this juice and mix it will 1 teaspoon of pure honey.
- Drink this mixture three times a day for about a month or more to see re-pigmentation on your skin and reduced white patches.
12. Red Clay
Red clay is something that many experts recommend as a common inclusion in your beauty routine thanks to the wonderful effects it has on the signs of vitiligo. By balancing out melanin production, it will get the white patches to gradually fade.
- You need to add fresh extracts of ginger juice in the red clay mixture or in powdered red clay.
- Mix this well and then apply to the areas where you find white pigments.
- Repeat this process for 4 to 5 months to see a reduction in the white patches and pigmentation to appear over the white patches.
13. Psoralen Powder
If you haven’t heard of psoralen powder until now, all you need to know about it at the moment is that it’s one of the best home remedies for vitiligo, so do consider it as your go-to treatment.
- Combine Psoralen powder with barberry root powder, black cumin, and coconut oil.
- Mix them and make it to a smooth paste.
- Apply this mixture everyday on the white patches on your skin to see visible results appear on the skin after 4 to 5 months.
Honey is famous for its skin benefits, but they don’t stop at making skin softer and moisturized. It too can help melanin production to darken vitiligo white spots.
- Create a blend by combining 1/4 teaspoon of lemon juice with 1/4 teaspoon of organic honey.
- Apply this mixture directly to the skin.
- Leave it to sit for about 15-20 minutes and then rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the treatment daily for at least 1 month to start seeing the results.
Lastly, garlic is a common household item which will help with the darkening of the light patches of skin which are a result of vitiligo.
- Mash 2-3 cloves of garlic.
- Next, add to a small bowl of water and let it all infuse for about 10 minutes.
- Dip a cotton pad or ball in this solution and then apply to the affected areas.
- Let it dry out and then get rid of the smell by rinsing with water and applying a moisturizer.
Many people have learned to embrace their cases of vitiligo, thus promoting acceptance of this skin condition. However, there are definitely some home remedies for vitiligo out there that can offer you a natural treatment in case you are not ready to give up on your skin’s recovery just yet.