Yellow toenails are truly an unpleasant condition to look at. There are several possible causes behind it, the most prominent one being the growth and development of some sort of fungi. Symptoms, aside from the actual yellowing of the nails, include itchiness in the skin surrounding the area and, sometimes, foul scent. There are quite a few possible over-the-counter treatments that can help you with this problem, but there are also some natural alternatives that will provide you with the help that you’re looking for. Keep reading and discover what are the main recommendations we have to offer and to read through the instructions which detail what you need to do to put these remedies in practice.
Lemon juice’s acidity makes it a fantastic bleaching agent. While it’s usually used for the lightening of the skin, it actually has similar effects on your nails, helping them regain their original color in a natural and efficient manner.
- All you have to do in order to undergo this particular treatment is apply some lemon juice directly over your affected area.
- Rub gently for 2-3 minutes in order to let as much of the lemon sink into the skin.
- Then, let it air try.
- Repeat these steps every day until the problem goes away.
2. Baking Soda
Baking soda has a great number of benefits for people struggling with this problem. On one hand, the fact that it’s a powerful antioxidant lets it destroy the fungi spreading this condition. Moreover, its exfoliating properties will shed off “infected” skin around the nails.
- Take 1 teaspoon of baking soda and then gradually add a few drops of water until you get a paste.
- Rub this on your feet thoroughly for 2-3 minutes and then let the mixture sit for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Finally, rinse off with cool water.
- Do this whenever you see it fit.
3. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is a powerful antiseptic that will leave bacteria and fungi with nowhere to run off to. It’s a fantastic treatment because of its antifungal characteristics, which make it one of the definite best home remedies for yellow toenails.
- Mix equal amounts of one hundred pure tea tree oil and vegetable oil. Rub the mixture on the affected space twice a day. Follow this remedy for the next few weeks to forestall the return of this annoying disease.
- Another method involves combining 3 parts of tea tree oil and one a part of aloe gel. Rub the mixture on the infected space two times every day for 6 to 8 weeks.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a powerful antiseptic agent that can get rid of fungi and bacteria spreading the symptoms of this condition. Use it the way we recommend below to get the effects you are looking for.
- Take 2-3 tablespoons of ground rice (you can prepare it at home) and then add 1 teaspoon of honey and 4-5 drops of apple cider vinegar.
- Stir everything until you form a thick paste which you can easily apply to the skin.
- Dip your feet in some warm water for 10 minutes to soften up the skin.
- Finally, you can slather on the ground rice paste and rub gently for a few minutes.
5. Juniper Berries
Juniper berries contain an amazing combo of whitening compounds and antiseptic properties that will help you solve this issue both on a surface and deeper level. They are truly home remedies for yellow toenails that you should consider.
- Add one teaspoon of crushed juniper berries to a bowl of warm water.
- Soak your feet in it for 15 minutes.
- Finish off by cleansing with lukewarm water and then apply some moisturizer.
- Follow this remedy once daily before going to bed for several months.
6. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is among the home remedies for yellow toenails we wholly recommend. Create an easy hydrogen peroxide solution and get rid of the fungi spreading across your feet, as well as the symptoms of it, including the yellow toenails. It’s a wonderful bacteria killer and it contributes to the restoration of the nailbed.
- Make a mixture of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide to form a paste.
- Dip the cotton into the resulting blend.
- Gently rub the nails for sixty seconds.
- Place a cotton pad around the nail bed.
- Wait for ten minutes.
- Lastly, wash off with warm water
- Repeat again after the next 24 hours as many times as you need.
7. Orange Peel
Oranges have a wonderful scent, which automatically makes them excellent home remedies for yellow toenails and the unpleasant associated smell. More than that, the vitamin C will deal with the fungi.
- Place the peels in a blender with a little bit of water.
- The paste that resulted from this blend should now go on your nails.
- After application, wait for about an hour.
- Finally, rinse off with warm water.
8. Whitening Toothpaste
As the name suggests, the whitening aspect of the toothpaste will make sure to drain the unsightly yellow color from the toenails. Also, the minty flavor will provide some relief to itchiness and irritation.
- On a cotton ball, apply some toothpaste generously.
- Wrap the nail with the cotton ball and secure in place with a hairband.
- Let it all sit for 30 minutes.
- Lastly, wash off with cold water.
Listerine pretty much is supposed to kill off bacteria, but it’s a lot more than that. Fungi that grow to have a development that leads into this condition will respond similarly to the actions of Listerine. It will die off. For this, Listerine is one of the best home remedies for yellow toenails.
- Dip a cotton ball in the Listerine after you have diluted it with equal parts water.
- Gently rub the nails for sixty seconds.
- Wrap a piece of cotton pad around the nails and then wait for 5 minutes.
- Remove and wash off with warm water.
Onion juice is fantastic against the fungi causing this situation. It’s a strong antiseptic whose own scent will cover up the unpleasant smell usually associated with this condition.
- Grind 2 onions and then strain the juice with the assistance of a filter.
- Wash the affected space using an antifungal soap. Apply this juice to the infected area.
- Leave it on for half an hour for good results.
- Afterwards, wash off with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Apply dusting powder to prevent moisture buildup.
- Follow this remedy by doing it twice on a daily basis for a minimum of a month to visualize positive results.
11. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is nourishing, moisturizing, and has antiseptic properties – all in one. It’s particularly useful to give some moisture to the affected nails so that they don’t become cracked and dry.
- Heat a bit of paraffin wax using either a microwave or a double boiler.
- Then, add an equal amount of coconut oil and mustard oil into the mix.
- Spread this paste directly over the cracks and then cover up with a pair of clean, cotton socks.
- Go to bed and leave the socks on overnight.
- Finally, in the morning, take the socks off and wash your feet thoroughly.
- Repeat this process daily for 2-3 weeks.
12. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil is also an antiseptic product, one of the home remedies for yellow toenails that we can’t help but recommend. Follow the directions below and make it into a worthwhile treatment.
- Mix a number of drops of lavender oil with some carrier oil, like olive or jojoba oil, and apply it directly to your feet.
- Leave the oil on to work its magic for about 5-10 minutes.
- Lastly, clean off using a paper towel or generous amounts of water.
- Repeat the treatment daily to get the results you’re looking for.
13. Turmeric Paste
Turmeric has great antifungal properties, but it’s one of the best home remedies for yellow toenails because of how useful it is with the coloring issue. This is a bit ironic seeing how turmeric has a very distinct shade.
- Take some turmeric powder and blend it in with lemon juice until you get a pasty consistency.
- Be careful to not use too much turmeric, though, since this will leave you with even more yellow nails instead of what you’re aiming for.
- Massage the paste into your nails and wait for it to dry off.
- Afterwards, wash off with cold water, making sure to get everything off.
Oatmeal has all the benefits mentioned in other treatments, being able to moisturize and get rid of dead skin cells. It’s packed with antiseptic properties and nourishing, exactly what you need for your problem.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of powdered oatmeal with 4-5 drops of olive oil.
- Take the thick paste that you’ve just formed and apply directly to your feet, focusing on the cracks around the heel area.
- Let the paste sit on for about 30 minutes and then rinse off with warm water.
- Repeat this process as many times as you need to achieve the effects you desire.
Sage has antifungal and antibacterial properties, thus making it a great ‘combatant’ in the war against foot odor. Furthermore, it also contains tannic acid, which decreases the activity of sweat glands. By reducing the amount of sweat, you can, therefore, create an environment that doesn’t favor the development of odor-causing bacteria.
- Add boiling water to a foot basin and then add in 1 tablespoon of dried sage.
- Let the substance steep until it becomes a temperature that you can comfortably dip your feet in.
- Soak your feet into the mixture for 20 minutes, repeating this process every day for a week.
Don’t let your favorite sandals to rot away! With the aforementioned home remedies for yellow toenails, you can safely sport your favorite shoes and feel comfortable in your own stride again.